From: MrPostin...@kymhorsell.com
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Subject: the twin paradox
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 17:35:16 +1000
 by: MrPostin...@kymhorsell.com - Mon, 16 May 2022 07:35 UTC

Hillbillies bang on about relativity all the time. But it turns out
they dont really understand the first thing about it.

Here's a problem to gits yo on yor way to passing Physics 101.

It's the future. There are 2 twins aged 30.
One of them is in the Space Force and takes off in a cruiser to
a star 10 light years distant. She stays there for a year
trying to find some Earthlings that were kidnapped back in the 20th century.
Then she comes home.

But big surprise! Her twin is now 40 and she is only 32.

How fast was the space cruiser? And relative to what?

--
"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood.
Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less."

UFO hearing: Pushing the frontiers of science with govt data
The Hill, 13 May 2022 22:22Z
Next week, the House will hold the first hearing on unidentified aerial
phenomena in more than half a century.

Scott Bray and Ronald Moultrie-the UFO Pentagon Officials Set for Congress
Newsweek, 13 May 2022 14:18Z
Top security officials are set to provide testimony on potential threats
posed by UFOs in a congressional hearing next week.

'One of the greatest mysteries of our time': Congress to hold UFO
hearing next week
Politico, 11 May 2022
Oversight committees are finally getting serious about unidentified
aerial phenomena. The question is whether national ...

UFOs go to Congress: Five questions that need answering
Washington Examiner, 11 May 2022 01:05Z
For just one example as to why public awareness of this topic is important,
the Washington Examiner has seen compelling evidence that the Space Force is
undertaking quiet work in support of the govt's UFO research. That
doesn't mean UFOs are aliens. But something very significant is going on.

5 Navy witnesses describe UFO encounter with aircraft carrier
American Military News, 10 May 2022 21:05Z
Five people who all served as sailors aboard the aircraft carrier USS Ronald
Reagan (CVN-76) spoke out about their 2004 ...

I'm a former Pentagon chief and I know US investigated UFO abductions of
military staff - they must reveal the truth
The Sun, 09 May 2022 13:44Z
AN ex-Pentagon chief claims the US has investigated UFO abductions of
military staff. Luis Elizondo headed a secret ...

Re: the twin paradox

<t5t4rt$1l14$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=3995&group=alt.astronomy#3995

From: kym...@kymhorsell.com (R Kym Horsell)
Newsgroups: alt.astronomy
Subject: Re: the twin paradox
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 09:17:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: R Kym Horsell - Mon, 16 May 2022 09:17 UTC

MrPostingRobot@kymhorsell.com wrote:
> Hillbillies bang on about relativity all the time. But it turns out
> they dont really understand the first thing about it.
> Here's a problem to gits yo on yor way to passing Physics 101.
> It's the future. There are 2 twins aged 30.
> One of them is in the Space Force and takes off in a cruiser to
> a star 10 light years distant. She stays there for a year
> trying to find some Earthlings that were kidnapped back in the 20th century.
> Then she comes home.
> But big surprise! Her twin is now 40 and she is only 32.
> How fast was the space cruiser? And relative to what?

Well I'm not really expecting the group dimwits to be able to solve this
basic problem. They're apparently paid to intercept postings about UFO's
and they dont need highschool fer that. :)

If the twins hadnt gone to college the one that went on the trip might
calculate she had spent 1y travelling over 10 ly therefore she travelled
at 10x the speed of light.

The one that stayed at home might calculate his twin had travelled 10 ly
in 10y and therefore travelled at the speed of light.

If they did that, they would be wrong.

Relativity based on certain assumptions about the propagation of
information in a certain type of space predictions measurments of
time, mass, and length will be affected by the relative motions and
positions of the observers.

Ostensibly there's a factor of 10x between the travel times observed
by the twins in their own frame of reference. In relativity
so-called "time dialations" are calculated using the magic factor
1/sqrt(1-(v/c)^2) where v is the (let's suppose) constant relative
speed of the 2 frames and c is the speed of light.

So if the time dialation factor is 10 then the speed v is
sqrt(1- (1/10)^2) == .994 in this case.

I.e. if the travelling twin moved at .994 c for the 10 ly of the trip
they would cover the 10 ly in 1 y as far as they were concerned.
Because to them the distance was "red shifted" by a factor of 10
and the 10 ly was actually only 1 ly.

Moral: speed = velicity by time is for kindergarten and anyone seriously
claiming it is some kind of obvious truth apparently didnt do any serious
physics past grade school.