panic: kernel trap (ignored)

tech / sci.math / Euler's Blunders...

SubjectAuthor
* Euler's Blunders...Eram semper recta
+- Re: Euler's Blunders...Eram semper recta
+- Re: Euler's Blunders...Michael Moroney
+* Re: Euler's Blunders...Dan Christensen
|`* STUDENTS BEWARE: Dan Christensen is a vicious spamming troll and hasEram semper recta
| `- STUDENTS BEWARE: Don't be a victim of JG's fake mathDan Christensen
+* Re: Euler's Blunders...Nikki Hungerford
|`- Re: Euler's Blunders...Dan Christensen
+* Re: Euler's Blunders...Eram semper recta
|`* Re: Euler's Blunders...zelos...@gmail.com
| `* Re: Euler's Blunders...Eram semper recta
|  `* Re: Euler's Blunders...zelos...@gmail.com
|   `* Re: Euler's Blunders...Eram semper recta
|    `* Re: Euler's Blunders...zelos...@gmail.com
|     `* Re: Euler's Blunders...Eram semper recta
|      `* Re: Euler's Blunders...zelos...@gmail.com
|       `* Re: Euler's Blunders...Eram semper recta
|        `* Re: Euler's Blunders...zelos...@gmail.com
|         `* Re: Euler's Blunders...Eram semper recta
|          `* Re: Euler's Blunders...zelos...@gmail.com
|           `* Re: Euler's Blunders...Eram semper recta
|            `* Re: Euler's Blunders...zelos...@gmail.com
|             `* Re: Euler's Blunders...Eram semper recta
|              `* Re: Euler's Blunders...zelos...@gmail.com
|               +- Re: Euler's Blunders...Eram semper recta
|               +- Re: Euler's Blunders...zelos...@gmail.com
|               +* Re: Euler's Blunders...New Age Prophet
|               |`- Re: Euler's Blunders...Serg io
|               +- Re: Euler's Blunders...zelos...@gmail.com
|               +- Re: Euler's Blunders...Eram semper recta
|               `- Re: Euler's Blunders...zelos...@gmail.com
+* Re: Euler's Blunders...New Age Prophet
|`* Re: Euler's Blunders...markus...@gmail.com
| `* Re: Euler's Blunders...Eram semper recta
|  +* Re: Euler's Blunders...markus...@gmail.com
|  |`* Re: Euler's Blunders...Eram semper recta
|  | +- Re: Euler's Blunders...zelos...@gmail.com
|  | `* Re: Euler's Blunders...markus...@gmail.com
|  |  `* Re: Euler's Blunders...Eram semper recta
|  |   `* Re: Euler's Blunders...zelos...@gmail.com
|  |    `* Re: Euler's Blunders...Eram semper recta
|  |     `* Re: Euler's Blunders...zelos...@gmail.com
|  |      `* Re: Euler's Blunders...Eram semper recta
|  |       `* Re: Euler's Blunders...zelos...@gmail.com
|  |        `* Re: Euler's Blunders...Eram semper recta
|  |         `* Re: Euler's Blunders...zelos...@gmail.com
|  |          `* Re: Euler's Blunders...Eram semper recta
|  |           `- Re: Euler's Blunders...zelos...@gmail.com
|  `- Re: Euler's Blunders...zelos...@gmail.com
+- Re: Euler's Blunders...Mostowski Collapse
`- Re: Euler's Blunders...Eram semper recta

Pages:123
Re: Euler's Blunders...

<0cbc31da-e48c-48df-96d3-5e70f878647en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=76979&group=sci.math#76979

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 11:00:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Euler's Blunders...
From: thenewca...@gmail.com (Eram semper recta)
 by: Eram semper recta - Tue, 21 Sep 2021 18:00 UTC

On Friday, 13 August 2021 at 20:26:10 UTC+3, Eram semper recta wrote:
> [...]
>
> * Mathematics, in general, is the science of quantity; or, the science which investigates the means of measuring quantity. *
>
> JG: Euler almost got this one right even though the local idiot Malum does not agree:
>
> JG: Mathematics is the science of measure and quantity.
> JG: What Euler appears to have missed is that in order to enumerate anything, the concept of number and all its machinery must already be in place.
>
> 3. Now, we cannot measure or determine any quantity, except by considering some other quantity of the same kind as known, and pointing out their mutual relation. If it were proposed, for example, to determine the quantity of a sum of money, we should take some known piece of money, as a louis, a crown, a ducat, or some other coin, and show how many of these pieces are contained in the given sum. In the same manner, if it were proposed to determine the quantity of a weight, we should take a certain known weight; for example, a pound, an ounce, etc. and then show how many times one of these weights is contained in that which we are endeavouring to ascertain. If we wished to measure any length or extension, we should make use of some known length, such as a foot.
>
> JG: In other words, we need a ratio which is the first kind of (qualitative) measure. In my free article, I explain how all this is done:
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hasWyQCZyRN3RkdvIB6bnGIVV2Rabz8w
>
> 4. So that the determination, or the measure of magnitude of all kinds, is reduced to this: fix at pleasure upon any one known magnitude of the same species with that which is to be determined, and consider it as the measure or unit; then, determine the proportion of the proposed magnitude to this known measure. This proportion is always expressed by numbers; so that a number is nothing but the proportion of one magnitude to another arbitrarily assumed as the unit.
>
> JG: Euler did not quite fully understand that a number is a name given to a measure that describes a magnitude or size. He focused more on a physical unit. Also, Euler did not make the connection between ratio and number.
>
> 5. From this it appears that all magnitudes may be expressed by numbers; and that the foundation of all the Mathematical Sciences must be laid in a complete treatise on the science of Numbers, and in an accurate examination of the different possible methods of calculation. This fundamental part of mathematics is called Analysis, or Algebra.
>
> JG: It is untrue that all magnitudes may be expressed by numbers. Moreover, Euler did not fully realise that algebra is a weaker form of geometry in which measures are performed in terms of an abstract unit (whose size is irrelevant) rather than a chosen physical unit. The properties using physical units are transferred to algebra with the introduction of incommensurable magnitudes such as pi, e, sqrt(2), etc.

One of the striking things about Euler's Elements of Algibberish is that he knows how to manipulate algebraic expressions well, which proves that not much understanding is required of today's mainstream assembly line graduates. They simply memorise the techniques and run with it.

tech / sci.math / Euler's Blunders...