From: noth...@nowhere.com (Bill W)
Subject: Lightroom - surprise development
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 20:22:00 -0500
 by: Bill W - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 01:22 UTC

This was initially going to be a cry for help, but that changed.

So I copied all of my photos to a new external drive to use with the new
MacBook. I knew that all the adjustments would be lost because I did not copy
the catalog or anything else. But I guess you don’t have to do anything
with any catalog, and I was therefore wrong. I was shocked to see all my old
adjustments being applied on a separate Lightroom on a separate computer with
copies of the original photos. But I guess that’s what all those .xmp files
are. So if any of you are ever concerned about transferring your work to a
new computer, you don’t really need to do anything except get the photos
over to it. Amazing.