Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 09:57:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Are we "crazy theoried" out?
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (Gerald Kelleher)
 by: Gerald Kelleher - Mon, 1 May 2023 16:57 UTC

On Monday, May 1, 2023 at 3:00:41 AM UTC+1, RichA wrote:
> In the late 1990s and early 2000's we were inundated by fantastic stories in books, particularly on string theory about astronomical possibilities like multiverses, wormholes, making entire universes in the lab. But I think much of that has petered out as the LHC has failed to live up to its multi-billion price tag. After discovering the Higgs, nothing new of note has come from it and most other discoveries have come from other facilities. Dark matter proof remains out of reach, even with multiple world-wide experiments looking for it. This of course had lead the consortium who built the LHC to want to build a MUCH larger, far more expensive unit across 2-4 countries. You know what they say, "don't ask, don't get" so I understand them. Lastly, as in the last 5 decades, nothing remotely resembling an intelligent signal from outside the earth has been detected by various SETI type experiments.

Experimental sciences at a human level are fine even though some are contrived like quantum mechanics. The real research in that realm is the balance between order and chaos or non-periodicity. The mathematics of Pi and Phi are an arithmetic example while non-periodic tiling and crystal formation are another example.

Projecting theoretical nonsense into the solar system, galactic and the Universal arena has seen its day as the mathematicians can't handle basic planetary facts anyway even though their life and everyone else's depends on it..

I would know a genuine astronomer if they could interpret a basic observation and translate it into solar system structure and planetary dynamics.

https://sol24.net/data/html/SOHO/C3/96H/VIDEO/