From: catenthu...@nyan.neko (cat enthusiast)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Subject: 1 dollar plastic toolbox from the dollar store as a cargo box
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 14:04:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: cat enthusiast - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 14:04 UTC

Greetings,

This is my first post here. I love bicycles.

Anyway, I found something really useful at the dollar store here the other day that I'd like to share. It's a $1 plastic toolbox, 12"x6"x4", not too big but fits paper maps, a spool of paracord, allen wrench/socket multitool, leatherman multitool, pair of gloves, a flashlight, lighter, a patch kit and a spare tube with a bit of room left over for a snack or something. It has a hole for a padlock too. All it needs are a few bungee cords to strap to the rear cargo rack and it's on there good.

My old cargo bag is alright, possibly better in terms of capacity and compartmentalization but the velcro straps on it aren't sufficient to secure it in a way that instills confidence. If I don't put bungee cords over it, it sways to and fro and ends up leaning to one side anyway, even with the bungee cords. At least this box stays put!

--
catenthusiast!

Re: 1 dollar plastic toolbox from the dollar store as a cargo box

<shlpnh$hpu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=103&group=rec.bicycles.misc#103

From: wNOSP...@gmail.org (pH)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.misc
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 20:59:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: pH - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 20:59 UTC

On 2021-09-09, cat enthusiast <catenthusiast@nyan.neko> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> This is my first post here. I love bicycles.
>
> Anyway, I found something really useful at the dollar store here the other day that I'd like to share. It's a $1 plastic toolbox, 12"x6"x4", not too big but fits paper maps, a spool of paracord, allen wrench/socket multitool, leatherman multitool, pair of gloves, a flashlight, lighter, a patch kit and a spare tube with a bit of room left over for a snack or something. It has a hole for a padlock too. All it needs are a few bungee cords to strap to the rear cargo rack and it's on there good.
>
> My old cargo bag is alright, possibly better in terms of capacity and compartmentalization but the velcro straps on it aren't sufficient to secure it in a way that instills confidence. If I don't put bungee cords over it, it sways to and fro and ends up leaning to one side anyway, even with the bungee cords. At least this box stays put!

Thanks for the good tips. Inexpensive is good.
People do drift off-topic here now and again, so it's very
nice that you are adding bicycle content.

You might also check out "rec.bicycles.tech". More of the traffic seems to
be showing up there.
I, too, like bicycles and currently have three in the stable.

pH in Aptos