The autodecrement is not magical. -- Larry Wall in the perl man page

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / My (personal) take on helmets.

SubjectAuthor
* My (personal) take on helmets.Shadow
+- Re: My (personal) take on helmets.AMuzi
+- Re: My (personal) take on helmets.Catrike Ryder
`* Re: My (personal) take on helmets.Jeff Liebermann
 +- Re: My (personal) take on helmets.AMuzi
 +* Re: My (personal) take on helmets.Shadow
 |`* Re: My (personal) take on helmets.Tom Kunich
 | +* Re: My (personal) take on helmets.Shadow
 | |+- Re: My (personal) take on helmets.Radey Shouman
 | |`* Re: My (personal) take on helmets.Tom Kunich
 | | `* Re: My (personal) take on helmets.Shadow
 | |  `- Re: My (personal) take on helmets.Tom Kunich
 | +* Re: My (personal) take on helmets.Frank Krygowski
 | |`- Re: My (personal) take on helmets.AMuzi
 | `* Re: My (personal) take on helmets.db
 |  +* Re: My (personal) take on helmets.Tom Kunich
 |  |`- Re: My (personal) take on helmets.db
 |  `- Re: My (personal) take on helmets.db
 `* Re: My (personal) take on helmets.Frank Krygowski
  +* Re: My (personal) take on helmets.Jeff Liebermann
  |+* Re: My (personal) take on helmets.AMuzi
  ||`* Re: My (personal) take on helmets.Jeff Liebermann
  || `* Re: My (personal) take on helmets.AMuzi
  ||  `- Re: My (personal) take on helmets.Jeff Liebermann
  |`* Re: My (personal) take on helmets.Frank Krygowski
  | +- Re: My (personal) take on helmets.Tom Kunich
  | +* Re: My (personal) take on helmets.Jeff Liebermann
  | |+* Re: My (personal) take on helmets.Frank Krygowski
  | ||+* Re: My (personal) take on helmets.Catrike Ryder
  | ||+* Re: My (personal) take on helmets.Jeff Liebermann
  | ||+- Re: My (personal) take on helmets.Tom Kunich
  | ||`- Re: My (personal) take on helmets.Wolfgang Strobl
  | |`- Re: My (personal) take on helmets.AMuzi
  | `- RE: Re: My (personal) take on helmets.Tom Kunich
  `- Re: My (personal) take on helmets.Tom Kunich

Pages:12
My (personal) take on helmets.

<0dgssidqob3v68hpb4afejst8nn36upng3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101207&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101207

From: Sh...@dow.br (Shadow)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: My (personal) take on helmets.
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 14:31:10 -0300
 by: Shadow - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 17:31 UTC

I worked > 70 hr weeks for 20 years in an ER.

I have NEVER seen brain injuries in anyone from a bicycle accident.
Stitched up a few faces and scalps of drunks with bicycles. They were
not able to tell me if they were riding or walking when they fell,
even after they had sobered up enough to be discharged.

Almost all injuries were to the legs and specially the arms. Mostly
abrasions, a couple of fractures(mostly wrists). A few damaged toe
nails that needed removing, Brazilians tend to ride wearing
flip-flops.

The few deaths were caused by multiple organ trauma. IOW, getting hit
directly by fast moving vehicles. The head was probably involved, but
they all bled out from ruptured chests, livers. spleens etc. D.O.A.

Helmets are not mandatory here for bicycles. Practically no-one wears
one, except in competitions. These are sponsored by bike shops and
they make helmets mandatory. $$$$.

I don't wear a helmet, don't even own one.

What are the stats for brain injury for cyclists in your countries?
Just wondering...
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Re: My (personal) take on helmets.

<uqlknk$3dvro$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101216&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101216

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: My (personal) take on helmets.
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 12:21:42 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 18:21 UTC

On 2/15/2024 11:31 AM, Shadow wrote:

> I worked > 70 hr weeks for 20 years in an ER.
>
> I have NEVER seen brain injuries in anyone from a bicycle accident.
> Stitched up a few faces and scalps of drunks with bicycles. They were
> not able to tell me if they were riding or walking when they fell,
> even after they had sobered up enough to be discharged.
>
> Almost all injuries were to the legs and specially the arms. Mostly
> abrasions, a couple of fractures(mostly wrists). A few damaged toe
> nails that needed removing, Brazilians tend to ride wearing
> flip-flops.
>
> The few deaths were caused by multiple organ trauma. IOW, getting hit
> directly by fast moving vehicles. The head was probably involved, but
> they all bled out from ruptured chests, livers. spleens etc. D.O.A.
>
> Helmets are not mandatory here for bicycles. Practically no-one wears
> one, except in competitions. These are sponsored by bike shops and
> they make helmets mandatory. $$$$.
>
> I don't wear a helmet, don't even own one.
>
> What are the stats for brain injury for cyclists in your countries?
> Just wondering...
> []'s

I don't know the stats but non-cyclists assume that we
cyclists have some mental problems. Hence policy.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org

Re: My (personal) take on helmets.

<qnmssi1bknlog6umkg93kfm571p315rcd9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101219&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101219

From: Solo...@old.bikers.org (Catrike Ryder)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 13:43:35 -0500
 by: Catrike Ryder - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 18:43 UTC

On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 14:31:10 -0300, Shadow <Sh@dow.br> wrote:

>I worked > 70 hr weeks for 20 years in an ER.
>
>I have NEVER seen brain injuries in anyone from a bicycle accident.
>Stitched up a few faces and scalps of drunks with bicycles. They were
>not able to tell me if they were riding or walking when they fell,
>even after they had sobered up enough to be discharged.
>
>Almost all injuries were to the legs and specially the arms. Mostly
>abrasions, a couple of fractures(mostly wrists). A few damaged toe
>nails that needed removing, Brazilians tend to ride wearing
>flip-flops.
>
>The few deaths were caused by multiple organ trauma. IOW, getting hit
>directly by fast moving vehicles. The head was probably involved, but
>they all bled out from ruptured chests, livers. spleens etc. D.O.A.
>
>Helmets are not mandatory here for bicycles. Practically no-one wears
>one, except in competitions. These are sponsored by bike shops and
>they make helmets mandatory. $$$$.
>
>I don't wear a helmet, don't even own one.

Me too. Never have, never will. If it's mandatory somewhere, I won't
ride there.

Re: My (personal) take on helmets.

<ncnssi9sts2jrocjo1sojdlh5fc71p6d4r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101221&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101221

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 11:19:49 -0800
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 19:19 UTC

On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 14:31:10 -0300, Shadow <Sh@dow.br> wrote:

>I worked > 70 hr weeks for 20 years in an ER.
>
>I have NEVER seen brain injuries in anyone from a bicycle accident.
>Stitched up a few faces and scalps of drunks with bicycles. They were
>not able to tell me if they were riding or walking when they fell,
>even after they had sobered up enough to be discharged.
>
>Almost all injuries were to the legs and specially the arms. Mostly
>abrasions, a couple of fractures(mostly wrists). A few damaged toe
>nails that needed removing, Brazilians tend to ride wearing
>flip-flops.
>
>The few deaths were caused by multiple organ trauma. IOW, getting hit
>directly by fast moving vehicles. The head was probably involved, but
>they all bled out from ruptured chests, livers. spleens etc. D.O.A.
>
>Helmets are not mandatory here for bicycles. Practically no-one wears
>one, except in competitions. These are sponsored by bike shops and
>they make helmets mandatory. $$$$.
>
>I don't wear a helmet, don't even own one.
>
>What are the stats for brain injury for cyclists in your countries?
>Just wondering...
> []'s

That's odd:
"Traumatic Brain Injury Epidemiology in Brazil"
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1878875015013637>
claims:
"There were around 125,000 hospital admissions due to TBI a year, an
incidence of 65.7 admissions per 100,000 inhabitants per year."

There's no indication of what percentage or how many TBI were caused
by bicycle related injuries, but at 125,000 TBI admission, I would
expect to see a substantial number of bicycle related TBI injuries.

In the US:
"Emergency Department Visits for Bicycle-Related Traumatic Brain
Injuries Among Children and Adults - United States, 2009 - 2018"
<https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7019a1.htm>
TBI rates can be found near the bottom of the article.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Re: My (personal) take on helmets.

<uqlr72$3f2fo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101223&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101223

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 14:12:18 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 20:12 UTC

On 2/15/2024 1:19 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 14:31:10 -0300, Shadow <Sh@dow.br> wrote:
>

>> I worked > 70 hr weeks for 20 years in an ER.
>>
>> I have NEVER seen brain injuries in anyone from a bicycle accident.
>> Stitched up a few faces and scalps of drunks with bicycles. They were
>> not able to tell me if they were riding or walking when they fell,
>> even after they had sobered up enough to be discharged.
>>
>> Almost all injuries were to the legs and specially the arms. Mostly
>> abrasions, a couple of fractures(mostly wrists). A few damaged toe
>> nails that needed removing, Brazilians tend to ride wearing
>> flip-flops.
>>
>> The few deaths were caused by multiple organ trauma. IOW, getting hit
>> directly by fast moving vehicles. The head was probably involved, but
>> they all bled out from ruptured chests, livers. spleens etc. D.O.A.
>>
>> Helmets are not mandatory here for bicycles. Practically no-one wears
>> one, except in competitions. These are sponsored by bike shops and
>> they make helmets mandatory. $$$$.
>>
>> I don't wear a helmet, don't even own one.
>>
>> What are the stats for brain injury for cyclists in your countries?
>> Just wondering...
>> []'s
>
> That's odd:
> "Traumatic Brain Injury Epidemiology in Brazil"
> <https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1878875015013637>
> claims:
> "There were around 125,000 hospital admissions due to TBI a year, an
> incidence of 65.7 admissions per 100,000 inhabitants per year."
>
> There's no indication of what percentage or how many TBI were caused
> by bicycle related injuries, but at 125,000 TBI admission, I would
> expect to see a substantial number of bicycle related TBI injuries.
>
> In the US:
> "Emergency Department Visits for Bicycle-Related Traumatic Brain
> Injuries Among Children and Adults - United States, 2009 - 2018"
> <https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7019a1.htm>
> TBI rates can be found near the bottom of the article.

I don't know but USA has roughly 214,000 TBI with 69,500
fatal incidents and minuscule cyclist representation in
those groups.

https://www.cdc.gov/TraumaticBrainInjury/data/index.html

Some indicate that we have 2.8 million TBI per year but I
find that beyond belief. Same source conflates TBI with
'head injury' (scalp wound? hematoma?) citing "80,000
cycling related head injuries". Maybe, but again hard to accept.

https://www.spiveylaw.com/blog/review-of-bicyclist-brain-injuries-during-2023-brain-injury-awareness-month/

Brasil is 2/3 the population so your numbers above are not
out of line with CDC but drastically safer than Spivey's
unsourced claim.

--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: My (personal) take on helmets.

<7ssssitd3lcs2t5il38pguto0v42hbaats@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101233&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101233

From: Sh...@dow.br (Shadow)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 18:11:25 -0300
 by: Shadow - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 21:11 UTC

On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 11:19:49 -0800, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 14:31:10 -0300, Shadow <Sh@dow.br> wrote:
>

>>I worked > 70 hr weeks for 20 years in an ER.
>>
>>I have NEVER seen brain injuries in anyone from a bicycle accident.
>>Stitched up a few faces and scalps of drunks with bicycles. They were
>>not able to tell me if they were riding or walking when they fell,
>>even after they had sobered up enough to be discharged.
>>
>>Almost all injuries were to the legs and specially the arms. Mostly
>>abrasions, a couple of fractures(mostly wrists). A few damaged toe
>>nails that needed removing, Brazilians tend to ride wearing
>>flip-flops.
>>
>>The few deaths were caused by multiple organ trauma. IOW, getting hit
>>directly by fast moving vehicles. The head was probably involved, but
>>they all bled out from ruptured chests, livers. spleens etc. D.O.A.
>>
>>Helmets are not mandatory here for bicycles. Practically no-one wears
>>one, except in competitions. These are sponsored by bike shops and
>>they make helmets mandatory. $$$$.
>>
>>I don't wear a helmet, don't even own one.
>>
>>What are the stats for brain injury for cyclists in your countries?
>>Just wondering...
>> []'s
>
>That's odd:
>"Traumatic Brain Injury Epidemiology in Brazil"
><https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1878875015013637>
>claims:
>"There were around 125,000 hospital admissions due to TBI a year, an
>incidence of 65.7 admissions per 100,000 inhabitants per year."
>
>There's no indication of what percentage or how many TBI were caused
>by bicycle related injuries, but at 125,000 TBI admission, I would
>expect to see a substantial number of bicycle related TBI injuries.

> 80's tripped or slipped, probably the > 70's too. That's
way over the life expectancy here. Malnutrition and untreated chronic
diseases do not improve coordination. Also the pavements and streets
are full of potholes and trash.

20-29 year olds TBI mostly from drunken brawls, driving
without a seat belt at high speeds, assaults, motorcycles without a
helmet, deliberate murder etc.

I doubt many were bicycle related. None of the many I saw
were...

>In the US:
>"Emergency Department Visits for Bicycle-Related Traumatic Brain
>Injuries Among Children and Adults - United States, 2009 - 2018"
><https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7019a1.htm>
>TBI rates can be found near the bottom of the article.

//
Rates were highest among adult males and children and adolescents aged
10-14 years.
//

When "showing how fast I can go" and "look, I'm riding on one
wheel" is more important than safety..
I'm sure Darwin played a hand there.

//
In 2018, 857 adult bicyclists died from traffic-related crashes in the
United States, the highest number in two decades. This discrepancy
might indicate that bicycle safety interventions have had some effect
on reducing some bicycle-related TBIs among adults, but more
comprehensive strategies are needed to protect cyclists from death and
the most severe types of injuries.
//

LOL. The number of TBI declined, but the overall number of
deaths INCREASED during the studied period. They should have looked
into why. I wonder how many of those accidents were caused by drivers
texting?

------------

I might fall off my bike and hit my head. More likely I'll
just break a bone in my limbs(again). Or completely tear the ruptured
ligament in my knee(it's already half off).
It's very hot here. Helmets make things worse.
IMHO
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Google Fuchsia - 2021

Re: My (personal) take on helmets.

<d88caa4a-dc1a-42ec-8792-7ed59092d6ebn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101237&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101237

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 13:32:13 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 21:32 UTC

On Thursday, February 15, 2024 at 1:11:32 PM UTC-8, Shadow wrote:
> [...]
> United States, the highest number in two decades. This discrepancy
> might indicate that bicycle safety interventions have had some effect
> on reducing some bicycle-related TBIs among adults, but more
> comprehensive strategies are needed to protect cyclists from death and
> the most severe types of injuries.
> //
>
> LOL. The number of TBI declined, but the overall number of
> deaths INCREASED during the studied period. They should have looked
> into why. I wonder how many of those accidents were caused by drivers
> texting?
>
> ------------
>
> I might fall off my bike and hit my head. More likely I'll
> just break a bone in my limbs(again). Or completely tear the ruptured
> ligament in my knee(it's already half off).
> It's very hot here. Helmets make things worse.

I have to keep going over this. https://www.vehicularcyclist.com/kunich.html This shows that there is NO improvement in mortality due to wearing helmets.

But there IS improvement in GENERAL health by wearing helmets. Most bicycle accidents are fall-overs. This can cause serious injuries. Yet, these injuries are easily protected against with helmets. Think of it this way - if a car hits a pedestrian at 10 mph, there is rarely serious injuries. If a car hits a pedestrian at 20 mph the mortality rate is 5%. If a car hits a pedestrian at 30 mph the mortality rate is 50% and at 40 mph it is 80% These numbers are well known and published everywhere. So why, when people complain about getting speeding tickets do traffic engineers simply raise the speed limits? Wouldn't it be better to say "drive at the speed limit"? I have two schools in 3 blocks from my home and the speed limits are 35 mph!

The brunt is that you wear a helmet not to "save your life" but to save you from minor injuries that can spoil your day.

Re: My (personal) take on helmets.

<gcatsih76gfijd91hf8nmnu1m7kesd14eq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101251&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101251

From: Sh...@dow.br (Shadow)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 21:25:28 -0300
 by: Shadow - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 00:25 UTC

On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 13:32:13 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
<cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> United States, the highest number in two decades. This discrepancy
>> might indicate that bicycle safety interventions have had some effect
>> on reducing some bicycle-related TBIs among adults, but more
>> comprehensive strategies are needed to protect cyclists from death and
>> the most severe types of injuries.
>> //
>>
>> LOL. The number of TBI declined, but the overall number of
>> deaths INCREASED during the studied period. They should have looked
>> into why. I wonder how many of those accidents were caused by drivers
>> texting?
>>
>> ------------
>>
>> I might fall off my bike and hit my head. More likely I'll
>> just break a bone in my limbs(again). Or completely tear the ruptured
>> ligament in my knee(it's already half off).
>> It's very hot here. Helmets make things worse.

Interesting.

>But there IS improvement in GENERAL health by wearing helmets. Most bicycle accidents are fall-overs. This can cause serious injuries. Yet, these injuries are easily protected against with helmets. Think of it this way - if a car hits a pedestrian at 10 mph, there is rarely serious injuries. If a car hits a pedestrian at 20 mph the mortality rate is 5%. If a car hits a pedestrian at 30 mph the mortality rate is 50% and at 40 mph it is 80% These numbers are well known and published everywhere. So why, when people complain about getting speeding tickets do traffic engineers simply raise the speed limits? Wouldn't it be better to say "drive at the speed limit"? I have two schools in 3 blocks from my home and the speed limits are 35 mph!
>

>The brunt is that you wear a helmet not to "save your life" but to save you from minor injuries that can spoil your day.

Fair enough. Though if I "fell over" my head would be the last
thing to hit the ground.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Google Fuchsia - 2021

Re: My (personal) take on helmets.

<uqmh0h$3ibpm$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101255&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101255

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 21:24:16 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 02:24 UTC

On 2/15/2024 4:32 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

> The brunt is that you wear a helmet not to "save your life" ...

Isn't that heresy? We're constantly told about lives saved by helmets.

Well, not the one in the thread about the Foothill Expressway fatality.
"A reporter observed at the scene a downed bicycle and a helmet."

.... but to save you from minor injuries that can spoil your day.

So why not similar promotion and mandates of foam plastic protectors
against skinned knees and elbows? Road rash of "the lower extremities"
is the most common ER treated injury for bicyclists. Road rash of the
"upper extremities" is the second most common.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: My (personal) take on helmets.

<uqmheq$3ibpm$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101257&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101257

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 21:31:53 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 02:31 UTC

On 2/15/2024 2:19 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 14:31:10 -0300, Shadow <Sh@dow.br> wrote:
>

>> I worked > 70 hr weeks for 20 years in an ER.
>>
>> I have NEVER seen brain injuries in anyone from a bicycle accident.
>> Stitched up a few faces and scalps of drunks with bicycles. They were
>> not able to tell me if they were riding or walking when they fell,
>> even after they had sobered up enough to be discharged.
>>
>> Almost all injuries were to the legs and specially the arms. Mostly
>> abrasions, a couple of fractures(mostly wrists). A few damaged toe
>> nails that needed removing, Brazilians tend to ride wearing
>> flip-flops.
>>
>> The few deaths were caused by multiple organ trauma. IOW, getting hit
>> directly by fast moving vehicles. The head was probably involved, but
>> they all bled out from ruptured chests, livers. spleens etc. D.O.A.
>>
>> Helmets are not mandatory here for bicycles. Practically no-one wears
>> one, except in competitions. These are sponsored by bike shops and
>> they make helmets mandatory. $$$$.
>>
>> I don't wear a helmet, don't even own one.
>>
>> What are the stats for brain injury for cyclists in your countries?
>> Just wondering...
>> []'s
>
> That's odd:
> "Traumatic Brain Injury Epidemiology in Brazil"
> <https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1878875015013637>
> claims:
> "There were around 125,000 hospital admissions due to TBI a year, an
> incidence of 65.7 admissions per 100,000 inhabitants per year."
>
> There's no indication of what percentage or how many TBI were caused
> by bicycle related injuries, but at 125,000 TBI admission, I would
> expect to see a substantial number of bicycle related TBI injuries.
>
> In the US:
> "Emergency Department Visits for Bicycle-Related Traumatic Brain
> Injuries Among Children and Adults - United States, 2009 - 2018"
> <https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7019a1.htm>
> TBI rates can be found near the bottom of the article.

In the U.S.:

The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, in Victor G. Coronado et.
al., "Surveillance for Traumatic Brain Injury Related Deaths, United
States, 1997‑2007" Surveillance Summaries May 6, 2011 / 60(SS05); 1‑32
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss6005a1.htm?s_cid=ss6005a1_w
shows, in table 10, that for 1997-2007 there were an average of just 325
bicyclist traumatic brain injury (TBI) fatalities per year. The total
annual TBI fatalities from all causes averaged 53014.

Activity Avg. TBI Fatalities/yr Percent of total
Motorists 7955 15%
Pedestrians 1825 3.4%
Motorcyclists 1361 2.6%
Bicyclists 325 only 0.6%

When, oh when, will motorists and pedestrians finally get the
life-saving haranguing that they need to FINALLY wear helmets?

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: My (personal) take on helmets.

<uqmi19$3imq6$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101262&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101262

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 20:41:46 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 02:41 UTC

On 2/15/2024 8:24 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 2/15/2024 4:32 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
>>
>> The brunt is that you wear a helmet not to "save your
>> life" ...
>
> Isn't that heresy? We're constantly told about lives saved
> by helmets.
>
> Well, not the one in the thread about the Foothill
> Expressway fatality. "A reporter observed at the scene a
> downed bicycle and a helmet."
>
> ... but to save you from minor injuries that can spoil your
> day.
>
> So why not similar promotion and mandates of foam plastic
> protectors against skinned knees and elbows? Road rash of
> "the lower extremities" is the most common ER treated injury
> for bicyclists. Road rash of the "upper extremities" is the
> second most common.

Less about life and death and more about virtue signaling
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: My (personal) take on helmets.

<874je93z8f.fsf@mothra.home>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101264&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101264

From: shou...@comcast.net (Radey Shouman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 21:43:44 -0500
sha1:39I7/wsJwdR3Bp+rYBl6WsO34sg=
 by: Radey Shouman - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 02:43 UTC

Take care not to "fall under".

Re: My (personal) take on helmets.

<9imtsi12tl78o7nt4mtha3fi6tci4qhkcl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101270&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101270

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 20:12:31 -0800
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 04:12 UTC

On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 21:31:53 -0500, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 2/15/2024 2:19 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 14:31:10 -0300, Shadow <Sh@dow.br> wrote:
>>

>>> I worked > 70 hr weeks for 20 years in an ER.
>>>
>>> I have NEVER seen brain injuries in anyone from a bicycle accident.
>>> Stitched up a few faces and scalps of drunks with bicycles. They were
>>> not able to tell me if they were riding or walking when they fell,
>>> even after they had sobered up enough to be discharged.
>>>
>>> Almost all injuries were to the legs and specially the arms. Mostly
>>> abrasions, a couple of fractures(mostly wrists). A few damaged toe
>>> nails that needed removing, Brazilians tend to ride wearing
>>> flip-flops.
>>>
>>> The few deaths were caused by multiple organ trauma. IOW, getting hit
>>> directly by fast moving vehicles. The head was probably involved, but
>>> they all bled out from ruptured chests, livers. spleens etc. D.O.A.
>>>
>>> Helmets are not mandatory here for bicycles. Practically no-one wears
>>> one, except in competitions. These are sponsored by bike shops and
>>> they make helmets mandatory. $$$$.
>>>
>>> I don't wear a helmet, don't even own one.
>>>
>>> What are the stats for brain injury for cyclists in your countries?
>>> Just wondering...
>>> []'s
>>
>> That's odd:
>> "Traumatic Brain Injury Epidemiology in Brazil"
>> <https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1878875015013637>
>> claims:
>> "There were around 125,000 hospital admissions due to TBI a year, an
>> incidence of 65.7 admissions per 100,000 inhabitants per year."
>>
>> There's no indication of what percentage or how many TBI were caused
>> by bicycle related injuries, but at 125,000 TBI admission, I would
>> expect to see a substantial number of bicycle related TBI injuries.
>>
>> In the US:
>> "Emergency Department Visits for Bicycle-Related Traumatic Brain
>> Injuries Among Children and Adults - United States, 2009 - 2018"
>> <https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7019a1.htm>
>> TBI rates can be found near the bottom of the article.
>
>In the U.S.:
>
>The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, in Victor G. Coronado et.
>al., "Surveillance for Traumatic Brain Injury Related Deaths, United
>States, 1997?2007" Surveillance Summaries May 6, 2011 / 60(SS05); 1?32
> http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss6005a1.htm?s_cid=ss6005a1_w
>shows, in table 10, that for 1997-2007 there were an average of just 325
>bicyclist traumatic brain injury (TBI) fatalities per year. The total
>annual TBI fatalities from all causes averaged 53014.
>
>Activity Avg. TBI Fatalities/yr Percent of total
>Motorists 7955 15%
>Pedestrians 1825 3.4%
>Motorcyclists 1361 2.6%
>Bicyclists 325 only 0.6%

The OP worked in an ER and therefore would be counting ER visits,
which do not necessarily result in hospital admissions. My numbers
from the CDC were counting bicycle related hospital admissions. Andrew
mentioned both overall TBI incidents and fatalities, but like my
numbers, could only estimate how many were bicycle related. Frank
concentrated on TBI fatalities. Perhaps if we were all using the same
metrics (standard of measurement), we might be able to extract some
useful conclusions?

>When, oh when, will motorists and pedestrians finally get the
>life-saving haranguing that they need to FINALLY wear helmets?

You already answered that question. When helmets become more
fashionable. I had hoped that the wearable computing fad would
inspire a flood of electronic devices worn on the head, where a
bicycle helmet would make a suitable mounting platform, but that
didn't happen. Perhaps the bicycle helmet mounted rear view camera
and display for cyclists will become a fashion statement:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=rear+view+camera+bicycle+helmet&tbm=isch>

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Re: My (personal) take on helmets.

<uqnq3f$3sfm4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101297&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101297

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 08:05:36 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 14:05 UTC

On 2/15/2024 10:12 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 21:31:53 -0500, Frank Krygowski
> <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> That's odd:
>>> "Traumatic Brain Injury Epidemiology in Brazil"
>>> <https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1878875015013637>
>>> claims:
>>> "There were around 125,000 hospital admissions due to TBI a year, an
>>> incidence of 65.7 admissions per 100,000 inhabitants per year."
>>>
>>> There's no indication of what percentage or how many TBI were caused
>>> by bicycle related injuries, but at 125,000 TBI admission, I would
>>> expect to see a substantial number of bicycle related TBI injuries.
>>>
>>> In the US:
>>> "Emergency Department Visits for Bicycle-Related Traumatic Brain
>>> Injuries Among Children and Adults - United States, 2009 - 2018"
>>> <https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7019a1.htm>
>>> TBI rates can be found near the bottom of the article.
>>
>> In the U.S.:
>>
>> The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, in Victor G. Coronado et.
>> al., "Surveillance for Traumatic Brain Injury Related Deaths, United
>> States, 1997?2007" Surveillance Summaries May 6, 2011 / 60(SS05); 1?32
>> http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss6005a1.htm?s_cid=ss6005a1_w
>> shows, in table 10, that for 1997-2007 there were an average of just 325
>> bicyclist traumatic brain injury (TBI) fatalities per year. The total
>> annual TBI fatalities from all causes averaged 53014.
>>
>> Activity Avg. TBI Fatalities/yr Percent of total
>> Motorists 7955 15%
>> Pedestrians 1825 3.4%
>> Motorcyclists 1361 2.6%
>> Bicyclists 325 only 0.6%
>
> The OP worked in an ER and therefore would be counting ER visits,
> which do not necessarily result in hospital admissions. My numbers
> from the CDC were counting bicycle related hospital admissions. Andrew
> mentioned both overall TBI incidents and fatalities, but like my
> numbers, could only estimate how many were bicycle related. Frank
> concentrated on TBI fatalities. Perhaps if we were all using the same
> metrics (standard of measurement), we might be able to extract some
> useful conclusions?
>
>> When, oh when, will motorists and pedestrians finally get the
>> life-saving haranguing that they need to FINALLY wear helmets?
>
> You already answered that question. When helmets become more
> fashionable. I had hoped that the wearable computing fad would
> inspire a flood of electronic devices worn on the head, where a
> bicycle helmet would make a suitable mounting platform, but that
> didn't happen. Perhaps the bicycle helmet mounted rear view camera
> and display for cyclists will become a fashion statement:
> <https://www.google.com/search?q=rear+view+camera+bicycle+helmet&tbm=isch>

Brain protection, meh. What you want is a better version of
reality, one with no crashes, and eye protection!

https://techviral.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Mark-Zuckerberg-Shown-Metas-VR-Headset-Prototypes.jpg
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Re: My (personal) take on helmets.

<uqo2fb$3u1lu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101308&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101308

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 11:28:26 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 16:28 UTC

On 2/15/2024 11:12 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 21:31:53 -0500, Frank Krygowski
> <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> That's odd:
>>> "Traumatic Brain Injury Epidemiology in Brazil"
>>> <https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1878875015013637>
>>> claims:
>>> "There were around 125,000 hospital admissions due to TBI a year, an
>>> incidence of 65.7 admissions per 100,000 inhabitants per year."
>>>
>>> There's no indication of what percentage or how many TBI were caused
>>> by bicycle related injuries, but at 125,000 TBI admission, I would
>>> expect to see a substantial number of bicycle related TBI injuries.
>>>
>>> In the US:
>>> "Emergency Department Visits for Bicycle-Related Traumatic Brain
>>> Injuries Among Children and Adults - United States, 2009 - 2018"
>>> <https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7019a1.htm>
>>> TBI rates can be found near the bottom of the article.
>>
>> In the U.S.:
>>
>> The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, in Victor G. Coronado et.
>> al., "Surveillance for Traumatic Brain Injury Related Deaths, United
>> States, 1997?2007" Surveillance Summaries May 6, 2011 / 60(SS05); 1?32
>> http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss6005a1.htm?s_cid=ss6005a1_w
>> shows, in table 10, that for 1997-2007 there were an average of just 325
>> bicyclist traumatic brain injury (TBI) fatalities per year. The total
>> annual TBI fatalities from all causes averaged 53014.
>>
>> Activity Avg. TBI Fatalities/yr Percent of total
>> Motorists 7955 15%
>> Pedestrians 1825 3.4%
>> Motorcyclists 1361 2.6%
>> Bicyclists 325 only 0.6%
>
> The OP worked in an ER and therefore would be counting ER visits,
> which do not necessarily result in hospital admissions. My numbers
> from the CDC were counting bicycle related hospital admissions. Andrew
> mentioned both overall TBI incidents and fatalities, but like my
> numbers, could only estimate how many were bicycle related. Frank
> concentrated on TBI fatalities. Perhaps if we were all using the same
> metrics (standard of measurement), we might be able to extract some
> useful conclusions?

We'd never agree on standards of measurement, in part because helmet
promoters use different types of hype for their claims. Within the past
week or so, we've seen a statement claiming that a helmet definitely
saved a life. We've had years of claims that helmets prevent brain
injuries. We've seen statements claiming helmets reduce poorly defined
"head injuries." We've seen statements praising helmets even if they
prevent some minor scratches and inconvenience.

The implied foundation of all those claims is that bicycling is an
outsized contributor to those problems. But no matter which claim you
address, that's false.

At its root, helmet promotion slanders bicycling by greatly exaggerating
its danger.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: My (personal) take on helmets.

<38495ed9-7963-4a79-b19e-cc8ef435ff97n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101309&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101309

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 08:30:21 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 16:30 UTC

On Thursday, February 15, 2024 at 4:25:36 PM UTC-8, Shadow wrote:
> [...]
> >

> >The brunt is that you wear a helmet not to "save your life" but to save you from minor injuries that can spoil your day.
> Fair enough. Though if I "fell over" my head would be the last

You are quite correct. But the RARE time you fall off and hit your head can cause permanent and serious injuries. One of the first generation of carbon fiber forks fell apart as I was riding through a parking lot at only about 15 mph. I fell on my head (with a helmet on) and was knocked out for the amount of time it took for an Ambulance to travel 15 miles and load me in and take me more than half way back. When I got to the hospital the doctors turned me loose because I was walking and talking normally. Well, the blow had detached my eye and damaged my brain. Because of this I was walking and talking but I was not really conscious for two years. I was also having continuous seizures which further damaged my memory. Most neurologists are not well trained and my brother took me to a couple of neurologists who said that they didn't know what was wrong with me so they gave up and just figured that I was crazy. Finally a cop I know, grew worried because I was losing weight so rapidly (I couldn't even remember to eat) that he and his nurse wife figured that I had cancer. So they took me to Stanford Medical Center in Palo Alto, CA. After a full exam they found nothing and suggested a professor or neurology that had a small private practice. It took a lot of testing and working on pharmacological testing to discover the correct medications that finally brought me to consciousness.

What does this mean to you?

1. The helmet safety standards were originally developed by Bell Helmets. It was a theoretical standard - they considered that the damage from hitting your head was skull fractures. That was entirely incorrect and ended up with the foam used to decelerate the head to be too dense. All helmets until recently were built to these slightly modified standards.

2. Since the largest dangers of hitting your head is concussions, until recently and FINALLY Trek actually looked into it and designed the Wave Cell helmet that reduces the deceleration rate to that which is far less likely to cause a concussion. Unfortunately they patented it so no one else can make them so instead have started the entirely incorrect myth that the real problem is the helmet sticking to the ground and giving you a neck injury. This might be a problem with the dense foam but NOT if the foam is designed to reduce deceleration to that which eliminates concussion. The Trek helmets are marketed as Bontrager Wave Cell helmets (beware that older style Bontrager helmets are also being marketed.)

3. The MEDICAL diagnosis is STILL being emphasized as head injuries = skull facture with concussion - which is far more common and causes the most debilitating injuries - a far distant second unless you find a well educated neurologist.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: My (personal) take on helmets.

<2877f216-ab52-4c36-9084-631cffe7f69bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101311&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101311

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 08:42:58 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 16:42 UTC

On Thursday, February 15, 2024 at 6:31:59 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> [...]
> In the U.S.:
>
> The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, in Victor G. Coronado et.
> al., "Surveillance for Traumatic Brain Injury Related Deaths, United
> States, 1997‑2007" Surveillance Summaries May 6, 2011 / 60(SS05); 1‑32
> http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss6005a1.htm?s_cid=ss6005a1_w
> shows, in table 10, that for 1997-2007 there were an average of just 325
> bicyclist traumatic brain injury (TBI) fatalities per year. The total
> annual TBI fatalities from all causes averaged 53014.
>
> Activity Avg. TBI Fatalities/yr Percent of total
> Motorists 7955 15%
> Pedestrians 1825 3.4%
> Motorcyclists 1361 2.6%
> Bicyclists 325 only 0.6%
>
> When, oh when, will motorists and pedestrians finally get the
> life-saving haranguing that they need to FINALLY wear helmets?

Franik, do you always have to prove yourself stupid? You supposedly were trained as an engineer but you haven't a trace of knowledge of how the world works.

Motorists have the majority of head injuries because of sheer numbers and speed.
The others are less because they are a much smaller portion of the population or have enough feeling of vulnerability that as a matter of course while a auto driver worries about the price of his insurance and isn't all that careful, a pedestrian or cyclist worries about their LIVES and behaves dramatically different.

As an engineer that should have been obvious but as Frank Krygowski NOTHING is obvious. And you wonder why I haven't the slightest respect for you.

This is where you proclaim bike lanes as useless and that it is far better to take right away from speeding automobiles.

Re: My (personal) take on helmets.

<76214a8c-9477-4ec5-bc7a-412fbf03ae6an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101312&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101312

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 08:44:50 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 16:44 UTC

On Friday, February 16, 2024 at 8:28:32 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 2/15/2024 11:12 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 21:31:53 -0500, Frank Krygowski
> > <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> >> In the U.S.:
> >>
> >> The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, in Victor G. Coronado et..
> >> al., "Surveillance for Traumatic Brain Injury Related Deaths, United
> >> States, 1997?2007" Surveillance Summaries May 6, 2011 / 60(SS05); 1?32
> >> http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss6005a1.htm?s_cid=ss6005a1_w
> >> shows, in table 10, that for 1997-2007 there were an average of just 325
> >> bicyclist traumatic brain injury (TBI) fatalities per year. The total
> >> annual TBI fatalities from all causes averaged 53014.
> >>
> >> Activity Avg. TBI Fatalities/yr Percent of total
> >> Motorists 7955 15%
> >> Pedestrians 1825 3.4%
> >> Motorcyclists 1361 2.6%
> >> Bicyclists 325 only 0.6%
> >
> > The OP worked in an ER and therefore would be counting ER visits,
> > which do not necessarily result in hospital admissions. My numbers
> > from the CDC were counting bicycle related hospital admissions. Andrew
> > mentioned both overall TBI incidents and fatalities, but like my
> > numbers, could only estimate how many were bicycle related. Frank
> > concentrated on TBI fatalities. Perhaps if we were all using the same
> > metrics (standard of measurement), we might be able to extract some
> > useful conclusions?
> We'd never agree on standards of measurement, in part because helmet
> promoters use different types of hype for their claims. Within the past
> week or so, we've seen a statement claiming that a helmet definitely
> saved a life. We've had years of claims that helmets prevent brain
> injuries. We've seen statements claiming helmets reduce poorly defined
> "head injuries." We've seen statements praising helmets even if they
> prevent some minor scratches and inconvenience.
>
> The implied foundation of all those claims is that bicycling is an
> outsized contributor to those problems. But no matter which claim you
> address, that's false.
>
> At its root, helmet promotion slanders bicycling by greatly exaggerating
> its danger.
>
> --
> - Frank Krygowski

And you cannot recognize bullshit for what it is and instead think it is merely a disagreement.

Re: My (personal) take on helmets.

<vhavsid5nfk72s5th91q9bummecdcmdpou@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101321&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101321

From: Sh...@dow.br (Shadow)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 15:58:51 -0300
 by: Shadow - Fri, 16 Feb 2024 18:58 UTC

On Fri, 16 Feb 2024 08:30:21 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
<cyclintom@gmail.com> wrote:

>3. The MEDICAL diagnosis is STILL being emphasized as head injuries = skull facture with concussion
> - which is far more common and causes the most debilitating injuries - a far distant second unless you
>find a well educated neurologist.

Head injuries (specially among the elderly) are often
sub-dural hematomas. No fractures required, just a hard bump to the
side of the head. Since the symptoms are not alarming, and tend to
VERY slowly get worse( a bit of confusion --> get better --> headaches
--> get worse ---> might have convulsions + might start acting odd),
it's quite commonly not diagnosed until someone decides you might have
a tumor and does a MRI.
Other "bleeds" can happen, but they are far less common after
slight trauma.
They sometimes stop bleeding spontaneously, but tend to
calcify. Calcifications --> convulsions, though the body "rounds them
off" over time so the convulsions usually become less frequent, even
without medication.

If you actually have a fracture you'll have the medical team
running around in circles screeching "code red" or whatever.

>I was lucky in having a friend that cared enough to do some real investigation - it might have been
>because he WAS a detective.

Well, the clues were all there. A decent public health system
would have helped. They should NEVER have discharged you so quickly if
you were unconscious that long.
It's a pity you had to suffer what you did.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Google Fuchsia - 2021

Re: My (personal) take on helmets.

<67e3815a-af92-4d5b-b60f-a58320dde370n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101371&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101371

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 08:38:58 -0800 (PST)
From: cyclin...@gmail.com (Tom Kunich)
 by: Tom Kunich - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 16:38 UTC

On Friday, February 16, 2024 at 10:58:59 AM UTC-8, Shadow wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Feb 2024 08:30:21 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
> <cycl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >3. The MEDICAL diagnosis is STILL being emphasized as head injuries = skull facture with concussion
> > - which is far more common and causes the most debilitating injuries - a far distant second unless you
> >find a well educated neurologist.
> Head injuries (specially among the elderly) are often
> sub-dural hematomas. No fractures required, just a hard bump to the
> side of the head. Since the symptoms are not alarming, and tend to
> VERY slowly get worse( a bit of confusion --> get better --> headaches
> --> get worse ---> might have convulsions + might start acting odd),
> it's quite commonly not diagnosed until someone decides you might have
> a tumor and does a MRI.
> Other "bleeds" can happen, but they are far less common after
> slight trauma.
> They sometimes stop bleeding spontaneously, but tend to
> calcify. Calcifications --> convulsions, though the body "rounds them
> off" over time so the convulsions usually become less frequent, even
> without medication.
>
> If you actually have a fracture you'll have the medical team
> running around in circles screeching "code red" or whatever.
> >
> >I was lucky in having a friend that cared enough to do some real investigation - it might have been
> >because he WAS a detective.
> Well, the clues were all there. A decent public health system
> would have helped. They should NEVER have discharged you so quickly if
> you were unconscious that long.
> It's a pity you had to suffer what you did.
> []'s
> --
> Don't be evil - Google 2004
> We have a new policy - Google 2012
> Google Fuchsia - 2021

As time goes on, riders who take chances fall enough to learn how to fall usually in a manner that they aren't injured much. Cry-gowski has never taken any chances so he does not have any idea that you can learn to fall safely. I would not hesitate to say that I haven't any question that he rides safely. But accidents are something that happens accidentally and is he ready for that?

Re: My (personal) take on helmets.

<hvs2tiljc6rj42mpa3m5tjrjdq37tjkc1g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101413&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101413

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 19:14:54 -0800
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 03:14 UTC

On Fri, 16 Feb 2024 08:05:36 -0600, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>Brain protection, meh. What you want is a better version of
>reality, one with no crashes, and eye protection!
>
>https://techviral.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Mark-Zuckerberg-Shown-Metas-VR-Headset-Prototypes.jpg

Not good enough. There is no rear-view camera and heads up display.
Such devices are made for playing games and virtuous reality. Extra
points for a gyroscopic leveled and/or horizon tracking camera. I
want to see where the bicycle is going and coming from, not where my
head happens to be aiming.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Re: My (personal) take on helmets.

<7mt2til4251ameal0p4fd6u94uq2bblbgp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101414&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101414

From: jef...@cruzio.com (Jeff Liebermann)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 19:35:15 -0800
 by: Jeff Liebermann - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 03:35 UTC

On Fri, 16 Feb 2024 11:28:26 -0500, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 2/15/2024 11:12 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>> The OP worked in an ER and therefore would be counting ER visits,
>> which do not necessarily result in hospital admissions. My numbers
>> from the CDC were counting bicycle related hospital admissions. Andrew
>> mentioned both overall TBI incidents and fatalities, but like my
>> numbers, could only estimate how many were bicycle related. Frank
>> concentrated on TBI fatalities. Perhaps if we were all using the same
>> metrics (standard of measurement), we might be able to extract some
>> useful conclusions?

>We'd never agree on standards of measurement, in part because helmet
>promoters use different types of hype for their claims.

We're not discussing "standards of measurement". We're discussing
injuries and possibly fatalities per miles or hours ridden. My
acerbic remarks were observations which demonstrate a general lack of
standardization in classifying bicycle accidents. When someone has an
axe to grind, they simply invent a new class of accident. Don't like
the numbers? No problem, just change the way the numbers are
represented or better yet, juggle what constitutes the population of
acceptable accident victims.

>Within the past
>week or so, we've seen a statement claiming that a helmet definitely
>saved a life. We've had years of claims that helmets prevent brain
>injuries. We've seen statements claiming helmets reduce poorly defined
>"head injuries." We've seen statements praising helmets even if they
>prevent some minor scratches and inconvenience.
>
>The implied foundation of all those claims is that bicycling is an
>outsized contributor to those problems. But no matter which claim you
>address, that's false.
>
>At its root, helmet promotion slanders bicycling by greatly exaggerating
>its danger.

Every sport has its inherent dangers. After all, it's not really a
sport without the risks and dangers. Who would attend a race or game
without the risk of carnage on the field? It's the smell of blood
that attracts the audience.

Every sport is surrounded by a mob of salesmen offering expensive
devices, clothing and designs which allegedly reduce the risks and
dangers. Just look at the elaborate protective uniforms and garments
worn by players and participants in many sports. There's nothing
unique about safety promoters in bicycling.

Therefore, I suggest you take a look at what players and participants
in other unsafe sports do about the problem. I have some opinions and
guesses, but I'll save those for when I'm better than half awake.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Re: My (personal) take on helmets.

<uqs1h1$s7lp$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101418&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101418

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 23:36:48 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 04:36 UTC

On 2/17/2024 10:35 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Feb 2024 11:28:26 -0500, Frank Krygowski
> <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> On 2/15/2024 11:12 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>>> The OP worked in an ER and therefore would be counting ER visits,
>>> which do not necessarily result in hospital admissions. My numbers
>>> from the CDC were counting bicycle related hospital admissions. Andrew
>>> mentioned both overall TBI incidents and fatalities, but like my
>>> numbers, could only estimate how many were bicycle related. Frank
>>> concentrated on TBI fatalities. Perhaps if we were all using the same
>>> metrics (standard of measurement), we might be able to extract some
>>> useful conclusions?
>
>> We'd never agree on standards of measurement, in part because helmet
>> promoters use different types of hype for their claims.
>
> We're not discussing "standards of measurement". We're discussing
> injuries and possibly fatalities per miles or hours ridden. My
> acerbic remarks were observations which demonstrate a general lack of
> standardization in classifying bicycle accidents.

Choosing "per miles" or "per hours" is choosing a standard. (The other
possibility in use is "per trip." I've seen data on each of those.)

>> Within the past
>> week or so, we've seen a statement claiming that a helmet definitely
>> saved a life. We've had years of claims that helmets prevent brain
>> injuries. We've seen statements claiming helmets reduce poorly defined
>> "head injuries." We've seen statements praising helmets even if they
>> prevent some minor scratches and inconvenience.
>>
>> The implied foundation of all those claims is that bicycling is an
>> outsized contributor to those problems. But no matter which claim you
>> address, that's false.
>>
>> At its root, helmet promotion slanders bicycling by greatly exaggerating
>> its danger.
>
> Every sport has its inherent dangers. After all, it's not really a
> sport without the risks and dangers.

And it's a fallacy to classify most bicycling as "sport." That word
strongly implies competition; but only a tiny percentage of cyclists
ever enter any competition.

A tiny percentage of motorists enter races; but driving to the grocery
is not counted as a "sport."

A tiny percentage of walkers enter race walking competitions; but
walking in general is not counted as a "sport."

The classification of bicycling as a "sport" has been used to disparage
cycling. I've seen data tables that claim the "sport" of bicycling
causes more injuries than football. But there are immensely more
bicyclists than football players, immensely more hours spent bicycling
compared to football, and unlike football, almost none of those hours
involve any competition.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: My (personal) take on helmets.

<lph3tihpq71nasd7sr58e0btpef068ve6c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101423&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101423

From: Solo...@old.bikers.org (Catrike Ryder)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 04:00:46 -0500
 by: Catrike Ryder - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 09:00 UTC

On Sat, 17 Feb 2024 23:36:48 -0500, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>And it's a fallacy to classify most bicycling as "sport." That word
>strongly implies competition; but only a tiny percentage of cyclists
>ever enter any competition.
Nonsense. There are many ways for bicyclists to compete that don't
involve shoulder to shoulder racing. I see king of the hill
competition on Strava, and many bicyclists simply compete with
themselves for faster speeds and longer distances.

Re: My (personal) take on helmets.

<uqsjis$vt7o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=101424&group=rec.bicycles.tech#101424

From: dieterha...@gmail.com (db)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 10:45:00 +0100
 by: db - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 09:45 UTC

On 15.02.2024 22.32, Tom Kunich wrote:
> [...]
>
> But there IS improvement in GENERAL health by wearing helmets. Most bicycle accidents are fall-overs. This can cause serious injuries. Yet, these injuries are easily protected against with helmets. Think of it this way - if a car hits a pedestrian at 10 mph, there is rarely serious injuries. If a car hits a pedestrian at 20 mph the mortality rate is 5%. If a car hits a pedestrian at 30 mph the mortality rate is 50% and at 40 mph it is 80% These numbers are well known and published everywhere. So why, when people complain about getting speeding tickets do traffic engineers simply raise the speed limits? Wouldn't it be better to say "drive at the speed limit"? I have two schools in 3 blocks from my home and the speed limits are 35 mph!
>

> The brunt is that you wear a helmet not to "save your life" but to save you from minor injuries that can spoil your day.

I don't wear one either. I had a fall which damaged my shoulder
and I hit concrete with my cheek bone, but only got a bruise.
I read, a few years ago, that cyclist deaths are gradually
declining in New Zealand. At some point they introduced mandatory
helmets, and the graph of deaths against year shows no change in slope
for that year. I wouldn't mind finding that graph.
--
Dieter Britz