Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 03:23:51 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Dedicated graphics
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (Gerald Kelleher)
 by: Gerald Kelleher - Wed, 10 May 2023 10:23 UTC

On Friday, February 28, 2014 at 4:22:16 AM UTC, palsing wrote:
> On Thursday, February 27, 2014 12:35:36 PM UTC-8, oriel36 wrote:
>
> > You were never taught how to partition the inner and outer planetary retrogrades, their separate causes and different perspectives seen from a moving Earth. Not even the great Galileo had the spacial awareness to divide the causes and perspectives whereas students today can admire these motions using graphical tools that make it so easy.

> So now you are claiming to be smarter than Galileo, but you are simply wrong. There is only one definition of the word retrograde, and it does not differentiate between inner or outer planets.

What I said all those years ago was that Copernicus and Galileo did not have the necessary imaging to differentiate between inner and outer planetary direct/retrograde motions so they did not make the distinction that the celebrity guy does nowadays without knowing how the conclusion was arrived at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXQh1xFce7s&t=522s

The 'Dedicated Graphics' title of this decade thread still applies as the necessary distinction requires careful consideration rather than a loose treatment that does neither the old astronomers like Galileo any justice nor the new satellite imaging which permits the emergence of the partitioning resolution.

My only concern is the span of the satellite's presence as it generates something new to enjoy every single day-

https://sol24.net/data/html/SOHO/C3/96H/VIDEO/

Shame on those who try to diminish the messenger for I only care that students learn the new perspectives properly.

tech / sci.astro.amateur / Re: Dedicated graphics