I am NOT a kludge! I am a computer! -- tts

tech / rec.photo.digital / Re: Drone and Cell Phone

SubjectAuthor
* Drone and Cell Phonecroy
+- Re: Drone and Cell Phonenospam
+* Re: Drone and Cell PhoneSavageduck
|`* Re: Drone and Cell Phonecroy
| +* Re: Drone and Cell PhoneSavageduck
| |`* Re: Drone and Cell PhoneBill W
| | `* Re: Drone and Cell Phonenospam
| |  `- Re: Drone and Cell PhoneBill W
| `- Re: Drone and Cell PhoneAlan Browne
+- Re: Drone and Cell PhoneRon
`- Re: Drone and Cell PhoneAlan Browne

1
Drone and Cell Phone

<5n7ligdevnbeacg7mo82ne5bs4fqgujkor@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10213&group=rec.photo.digital#10213

From: cro...@spam.invalid.net (croy)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Subject: Drone and Cell Phone
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 13:40:39 -0700
 by: croy - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 20:40 UTC

If a person buys a drone, such as a Mavic, and buys a cell phone, does the phone need to have
an account, or can it be used solely for flying the drone?

--
croy

Re: Drone and Cell Phone

<280820211641259363%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10214&group=rec.photo.digital#10214

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: Drone and Cell Phone
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 16:41:25 -0400
 by: nospam - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 20:41 UTC

In article <5n7ligdevnbeacg7mo82ne5bs4fqgujkor@4ax.com>, croy
<croy@spam.invalid.net> wrote:

> If a person buys a drone, such as a Mavic, and buys a cell phone, does the
> phone need to have
> an account, or can it be used solely for flying the drone?

it doesn't need a cellular plan.

Re: Drone and Cell Phone

<0001HW.26DB12B6001193ED70000C39538F@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10215&group=rec.photo.digital#10215

Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 17:56:22 -0700
From: savagedu...@{REMOVESPAM}me.com (Savageduck)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
 by: Savageduck - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 00:56 UTC

On Aug 28, 2021, croy wrote
(in article<5n7ligdevnbeacg7mo82ne5bs4fqgujkor@4ax.com>):

> If a person buys a drone, such as a Mavic, and buys a cell phone, does the phone need to have
> an account, or can it be used solely for flying the drone?

You do not need to have a smart phone account to use a Smart Phone with a DJI controller. You do need to be able to connect with a network, home, or other in order to download and install the appropriate DJI app for the specific DJI drone.

I have repurposed my, no longer used as a Smartphone, iPhone 6S to use with my DJI Air 2, and it works just fine. However, for the last year I have been using the DJI Smart Controller (SC) to fly both my Air 2, and my Air 2S, as the display screen is much better in bright sunlight on the SC than either my iPhone 6S, or iP8 Plus, and is much simpler for set up. In bright sunlight with an iPhone you might as well be flying blind.
Now I will only use my iPhone as a last resort.

So if you can afford it, I recommend the DJI Smart Controller.

Which DJI drone are you considering?

--
Regards,
Savageduck

Re: Drone and Cell Phone

<sgf7mn$364$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10216&group=rec.photo.digital#10216

From: Phattda...@gmail.com (Ron)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 00:58:47 -0500
 by: Ron - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 05:58 UTC

I use an old iPhone 5 with my DJI Mini.
My regular phone is not compatible with the DJY Fly App.

On 8/28/2021 3:40 PM, croy wrote:
> If a person buys a drone, such as a Mavic, and buys a cell phone, does the phone need to have
> an account, or can it be used solely for flying the drone?

Re: Drone and Cell Phone

<sXNWI.1232$2B4.172@fx04.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10217&group=rec.photo.digital#10217

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 11:44:24 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 15:44 UTC

On 2021-08-28 16:40, croy wrote:
> If a person buys a drone, such as a Mavic, and buys a cell phone, does the phone need to have
> an account, or can it be used solely for flying the drone?

I fly one (Phantom Pro IV) using an iPad w/o cell ability. Update the
s/w and maps (for no fly areas such as near airports) before leaving the
house. Indeed it's time to do some battery maintenance flights...

The phone/ipad should have GPS so that the relative positions are known.
This is not critical if the ground station stays put, but if the
ground station is mobile (boat, roaming ground station), then it may
prove difficult to navigate back in some situations. Keep line of sight
(which is hard with a Mavic beyond a certain range or in some
lighting/background conditions).

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."

Re: Drone and Cell Phone

<cnenigtbmf72udhnhgd24cem1b2p4aj89g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10218&group=rec.photo.digital#10218

From: cro...@spam.invalid.net (croy)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 10:12:33 -0700
 by: croy - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 17:12 UTC

On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 17:56:22 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

Thanks for that info, Duck--it's just what I was looking for (I don't have a cell phone). After
posting my question here, I decided to have a look at the DJI pages (that's the only company
I'm aware of so far), and I see they have a set with goggles, apparently to see what the drone
is seeing. Now, if I could just remember where I put that unneeded $1400.... One drawback
with that system, it would seem to me, is if the drone is close, you can't just look up at
it--you'd have to let go of the controller and pull off the goggles.

>Which DJI drone are you considering?

No particular one at the moment. After looking at the DJI pages and prices, I might decide to
just use a ladder and a camera in my hand to monitor the illegal pig farm next door :-l

I would hate to buy something expensive, as there are so many utility wires around my house it
looks like the set of Jurasic Park--and I don't have very quick reflexes. A lot of trees, too.
Wide-open spaces are scarce around here.

--
croy

Re: Drone and Cell Phone

<0001HW.26DBFED20048EA8D70000C39538F@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10219&group=rec.photo.digital#10219

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!paganini.bofh.team!news.dns-netz.com!news.freedyn.net!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed9.news.xs4all.nl!feeder5.feed.usenet.farm!feeder1.feed.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc3.netnews.com!peer03.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer01.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!buffer2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 10:43:46 -0700
From: savagedu...@{REMOVESPAM}me.com (Savageduck)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
 by: Savageduck - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 17:43 UTC

On Aug 29, 2021, croy wrote
(in article<cnenigtbmf72udhnhgd24cem1b2p4aj89g@4ax.com>):

> On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 17:56:22 -0700, Savageduck<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for that info, Duck--it's just what I was looking for (I don't have a cell phone). After
> posting my question here, I decided to have a look at the DJI pages (that's the only company
> I'm aware of so far), and I see they have a set with goggles, apparently to see what the drone
> is seeing. Now, if I could just remember where I put that unneeded $1400.... One drawback
> with that system, it would seem to me, is if the drone is close, you can't just look up at
> it--you'd have to let go of the controller and pull off the goggles.

That is the DJI FPV drone, and I would not recommend it as a first drone for anybody. Also the FPV drone does not use a phone with the controller. All visualization is done using the goggles.

> > Which DJI drone are you considering?
>
> No particular one at the moment. After looking at the DJI pages and prices, I might decide to
> just use a ladder and a camera in my hand to monitor the illegal pig farm next door :-l
>
> I would hate to buy something expensive, as there are so many utility wires around my house it
> looks like the set of Jurasic Park--and I don't have very quick reflexes. A lot of trees, too.
> Wide-open spaces are scarce around here.

If you can afford it, my recommendation is to buy the DJI Air 2S Fly More Combo with the Smart Controller rather than the standard controller. That way you won’t have to worry about a smart phone.
If not then the Air 2S + Fly More Combo with standard controller. A bit lower in cost would be the DJI Mini 2 Fly More Combo.

If you are able to wait a little longer the more expensive Mavic 3 is supposed to be released within the next few weeks.

You can buy from DJI direct, or from BestBuy, B&H, or Adorama. Fastest delivery would be via BestBuy or B&H.

--
Regards,
Savageduck

Re: Drone and Cell Phone

<0001HW.26DC0C2503160CD73097B138F@news-us.newsgroup.ninja>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10220&group=rec.photo.digital#10220

From: noth...@nowhere.com (Bill W)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 13:40:37 -0500
 by: Bill W - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 18:40 UTC

On Aug 29, 2021, Savageduck wrote
(in article<0001HW.26DBFED20048EA8D70000C39538F@news.giganews.com>):

> On Aug 29, 2021, croy wrote
> (in article<cnenigtbmf72udhnhgd24cem1b2p4aj89g@4ax.com>):
>
> > On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 17:56:22 -0700,
> > Savageduck<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for that info, Duck--it's just what I was looking for (I don't have
> > a cell phone). After
> > posting my question here, I decided to have a look at the DJI pages (that's
> > the only company
> > I'm aware of so far), and I see they have a set with goggles, apparently to
> > see what the drone
> > is seeing. Now, if I could just remember where I put that unneeded
> > $1400.... One drawback
> > with that system, it would seem to me, is if the drone is close, you can't
> > just look up at
> > it--you'd have to let go of the controller and pull off the goggles.
>
> That is the DJI FPV drone, and I would not recommend it as a first drone for
> anybody. Also the FPV drone does not use a phone with the controller. All
> visualization is done using the goggles.
> >

> > > Which DJI drone are you considering?
> >
> > No particular one at the moment. After looking at the DJI pages and prices,
> > I might decide to
> > just use a ladder and a camera in my hand to monitor the illegal pig farm
> > next door :-l
> >
> > I would hate to buy something expensive, as there are so many utility wires
> > around my house it
> > looks like the set of Jurasic Park--and I don't have very quick reflexes. A
> > lot of trees, too.
> > Wide-open spaces are scarce around here.
>
> If you can afford it, my recommendation is to buy the DJI Air 2S Fly More
> Combo with the Smart Controller rather than the standard controller. That way
> you won’t have to worry about a smart phone.
> If not then the Air 2S + Fly More Combo with standard controller. A bit lower
> in cost would be the DJI Mini 2 Fly More Combo.
>
> If you are able to wait a little longer the more expensive Mavic 3 is
> supposed to be released within the next few weeks.
>
> You can buy from DJI direct, or from BestBuy, B&H, or Adorama. Fastest
> delivery would be via BestBuy or B&H.

And no sales tax with the Payboo/B&H credit card. I have saved so much money
with that thing.

Re: Drone and Cell Phone

<290820211458013966%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10221&group=rec.photo.digital#10221

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 14:58:01 -0400
 by: nospam - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 18:58 UTC

In article <0001HW.26DC0C2503160CD73097B138F@news-us.newsgroup.ninja>,
Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com> wrote:

> And no sales tax with the Payboo/B&H credit card. I have saved so much money
> with that thing.

the only problem is the 'cashback' can only be used at b&h. it's the
ultimate lock-in.

also, whoever came up with the name payboo needs to find alternate
employment.

Re: Drone and Cell Phone

<LgRWI.3177$jm6.1157@fx07.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10222&group=rec.photo.digital#10222

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 15:31:55 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 19:31 UTC

On 2021-08-29 13:12, croy wrote:

> No particular one at the moment. After looking at the DJI pages and prices, I might decide to
> just use a ladder and a camera in my hand to monitor the illegal pig farm next door :-l
>
> I would hate to buy something expensive, as there are so many utility wires around my house it
> looks like the set of Jurasic Park--and I don't have very quick reflexes. A lot of trees, too.
> Wide-open spaces are scarce around here.

Plenty of used drones out there at good prices.

Reflexes? Fly slow. Not sure? Let go of the sticks. Will stop on a
dime.[1]

In effect these drones are on autopilot 100% of the time. They only
move when you move the sticks out of centre.

Don't need great reflexes. Just a plan.

[1] "Racing drones" are a very different beast.

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."
-Samuel Clemens

Re: Drone and Cell Phone

<0001HW.26DC3D7E03219DA8309C4C38F@news-us.newsgroup.ninja>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10223&group=rec.photo.digital#10223

From: noth...@nowhere.com (Bill W)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 17:11:10 -0500
 by: Bill W - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 22:11 UTC

On Aug 29, 2021, nospam wrote
(in article<290820211458013966%nospam@nospam.invalid>):

> In article<0001HW.26DC0C2503160CD73097B138F@news-us.newsgroup.ninja>,
> Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com> wrote:
>

> > And no sales tax with the Payboo/B&H credit card. I have saved so much money
> > with that thing.
>
> the only problem is the 'cashback' can only be used at b&h. it's the
> ultimate lock-in.

No argument with that, but I have always been happy with B&H. In fact, I just
ordered a used 150-600 lens from them yesterday, along with the lens adapter
for my Pentax. I’m also trying to get a bargain on a used D7100 on Ebay. If
it all works out, I’ll end up with the lens, adapter, and decent Nikon
camera body for about the price of a new lens alone.

> also, whoever came up with the name payboo needs to find alternate
> employment.

Yeah, it’s just bizarre.