A morsel of genuine history is a thing so rare as to be always valuable. -- Thomas Jefferson

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk Carriers

SubjectAuthor
* Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk CarriersFred Bloggs
+- Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk Carriersa a
+- Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk Carriersa a
+* Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk CarriersJan Panteltje
|`- Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk CarriersJan Panteltje
+- Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk Carriersrbowman
`* Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk Carriersjlarkin
 +* Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk CarriersFred Bloggs
 |`* Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk CarriersPhil Hobbs
 | +- Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk Carriersa a
 | `* Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk CarriersJohn Larkin
 |  `* Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk Carrierswhit3rd
 |   `- Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk CarriersMike Monett
 +* Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk CarriersFred Bloggs
 |`* Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk Carriersjlarkin
 | +* Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk CarriersFred Bloggs
 | |+- Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk Carriersa a
 | |`* Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk Carriersjlarkin
 | | `* Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk Carriersa a
 | |  `- Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk Carriersa a
 | `* Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk CarriersPhil Hobbs
 |  `* Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk Carriersjlarkin
 |   +* Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk Carriersa a
 |   |`* Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk Carriersjlarkin
 |   | `* Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk CarriersLasse Langwadt Christensen
 |   |  `* Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk Carriersa a
 |   |   +- Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk Carriersa a
 |   |   `* Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk CarriersJohn Larkin
 |   |    `- Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk Carriersa a
 |   `- Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk Carriersrbowman
 `- Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk CarriersJan Panteltje

Pages:12
Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk Carriers

<df879890-2f31-4217-abe5-2898287b27e1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102233&group=sci.electronics.design#102233

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 14:57:34 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk Carriers
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 21:57 UTC

On Saturday, 23 July 2022 at 23:33:09 UTC+2, lang...@fonz.dk wrote:
> lørdag den 23. juli 2022 kl. 23.01.46 UTC+2 skrev jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com:
> > On Sat, 23 Jul 2022 11:28:19 -0700 (PDT), a a <mant...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > >just calculate wind energy caught by a kite
> > >to learn what is and what is not feasible
> > There's an impedance-match problem too, mismatch of ship velocity vs
> > wind velocity. Windmills have variable-pitch blades.
> it is also (mostly?) a safety feature so they can feather the blades in high winds
we can start from kiteboarding, kitesurfing
\to make basic calculations
than build kite powered small ship

Kiteboarding - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiteboarding

Kiteboarding or kitesurfing is a sport that involves using wind power with a large power kite to pull a rider across a water, land, or snow surface. It combines aspects of paragliding, surfing, windsurfing, skateboarding, snowboarding, and wakeboarding. Kiteboarding is among the less

History

Late 20th century
In October 1977 Gijsbertus Adrianus Panhuise (Netherlands) received the first patent for KiteSurfing. The patent covers, specifically, a water sport using a floating board of a surf board type

Environments

Kitesurfing on water includes freestyle and big air using a kiteboard similar to a wakeboard, kiting in waves using small surfboards with or without footstraps or bindings, foiling, and

Governance

International kiteboarding has several promoting organizations and has undergone many changes in the governance of the sport, including long-lasting disputes between several of those entities, trying to negate each other the right to promote such

Techniques

Kiteboarding can pose hazards to surfers, beachgoers, bystanders and others on the water. Many problems and dangers that may be encountered while learning kiting can be avoided or minimized by taking professional instruction through lesson centers. Kitesurfing

Kitesurfing Records

Jump records (height, length, time)
Nick Jacobsen achieved the world record for the highest kite jump measured by

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=kiteboarding&form=HDRSC2&first=1&tsc=ImageHoverTitle

Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk Carriers

<f98d3cb0-5d86-4391-86ff-9d0959324c7fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102235&group=sci.electronics.design#102235

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 15:00:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 22:00 UTC

On Saturday, 23 July 2022 at 23:57:37 UTC+2, a a wrote:
> On Saturday, 23 July 2022 at 23:33:09 UTC+2, lang...@fonz.dk wrote:
> > lørdag den 23. juli 2022 kl. 23.01.46 UTC+2 skrev jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com:

> > > There's an impedance-match problem too, mismatch of ship velocity vs
> > > wind velocity. Windmills have variable-pitch blades.
> > it is also (mostly?) a safety feature so they can feather the blades in high winds
> we can start from kiteboarding, kitesurfing
> \to make basic calculations
> than build kite powered small ship
>
> Kiteboarding - Wikipedia
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiteboarding
>
> Kiteboarding or kitesurfing is a sport that involves using wind power with a large power kite to pull a rider across a water, land, or snow surface. It combines aspects of paragliding, surfing, windsurfing, skateboarding, snowboarding, and wakeboarding. Kiteboarding is among the less
>
> History
>
> Late 20th century
> In October 1977 Gijsbertus Adrianus Panhuise (Netherlands) received the first patent for KiteSurfing. The patent covers, specifically, a water sport using a floating board of a surf board type
>

> Environments
>
> Kitesurfing on water includes freestyle and big air using a kiteboard similar to a wakeboard, kiting in waves using small surfboards with or without footstraps or bindings, foiling, and
>

> Governance
>
> International kiteboarding has several promoting organizations and has undergone many changes in the governance of the sport, including long-lasting disputes between several of those entities, trying to negate each other the right to promote such
>

> Techniques
>
> Kiteboarding can pose hazards to surfers, beachgoers, bystanders and others on the water. Many problems and dangers that may be encountered while learning kiting can be avoided or minimized by taking professional instruction through lesson centers. Kitesurfing
>

> Kitesurfing Records
>
> Jump records (height, length, time)
> Nick Jacobsen achieved the world record for the highest kite jump measured by
>
> https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=kiteboarding&form=HDRSC2&first=1&tsc=ImageHoverTitle
followed by kite powered boats

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=kite%20boat&qs=n&form=QBIR&sp=-1&pq=kite%20boat&sc=5-9

Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk Carriers

<6b607754-ed26-476c-9dd4-9df158c0928en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102247&group=sci.electronics.design#102247

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 22:05:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: whit...@gmail.com (whit3rd)
 by: whit3rd - Sun, 24 Jul 2022 05:05 UTC

On Friday, July 22, 2022 at 5:07:45 PM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:

> One bunch of lunatics tried generating power with actual kites spooled
> out by winches that turned generators.

It gets the wind-catching gizmo up to an altitude where winds are more
reliable than near ground level. If you could tap the more-or-less permanent cyclone
around the South Pole, that'd be really something.

Because it's a circular wind, any energy you miss on pass 1, is still there on the next
cycle...

Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk Carriers

<XnsAEDE34C8294FEidtokenpost@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102254&group=sci.electronics.design#102254

From: spa...@not.com (Mike Monett)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 09:11:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Monett - Sun, 24 Jul 2022 09:11 UTC

https://www.gocomics.com/bc/2022/07/24

--
MRM

Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk Carriers

<fdqtdhd5uo3altndmpgaat18pip4au7pk0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102312&group=sci.electronics.design#102312

From: jlar...@highland_atwork_technology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 12:10:13 -0700
References: <5kgldhpfmfm90h8n93k4opafudvdbfju1n@4ax.com> <d30d697c-239e-4e7e-8e5b-7539a98309b6n@googlegroups.com> <q5endhdethqf5lo23hjerg4khn4qctoq4l@4ax.com> <bafad18d-1ffb-1e1b-f68e-c8cc11e33c0c@electrooptical.net> <6abodht0aijs5uqdoo00kj7n1j9uklm2qp@4ax.com> <ebf8fce5-aa83-4a64-91be-393431fbe5f7n@googlegroups.com> <29oodhh9pal30155dvb5uc4indsakfdd86@4ax.com> <13c5102f-7a17-4601-9ba6-2bedd0c8bdban@googlegroups.com> <df879890-2f31-4217-abe5-2898287b27e1n@googlegroups.com>
 by: John Larkin - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 19:10 UTC

On Sat, 23 Jul 2022 14:57:34 -0700 (PDT), a a <manta103g@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Saturday, 23 July 2022 at 23:33:09 UTC+2, lang...@fonz.dk wrote:
>> lørdag den 23. juli 2022 kl. 23.01.46 UTC+2 skrev jla...@highlandsniptechnology.com:

>> > There's an impedance-match problem too, mismatch of ship velocity vs
>> > wind velocity. Windmills have variable-pitch blades.
>> it is also (mostly?) a safety feature so they can feather the blades in high winds
>we can start from kiteboarding, kitesurfing
>\to make basic calculations
>than build kite powered small ship
>
>Kiteboarding - Wikipedia
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiteboarding
>
>Kiteboarding or kitesurfing is a sport that involves using wind power with a large power kite to pull a rider across a water, land, or snow surface. It combines aspects of paragliding, surfing, windsurfing, skateboarding, snowboarding, and wakeboarding. Kiteboarding is among the less
>
>History
>
>Late 20th century
>In October 1977 Gijsbertus Adrianus Panhuise (Netherlands) received the first patent for KiteSurfing. The patent covers, specifically, a water sport using a floating board of a surf board type
>

>Environments
>
>Kitesurfing on water includes freestyle and big air using a kiteboard similar to a wakeboard, kiting in waves using small surfboards with or without footstraps or bindings, foiling, and

A kite surfer is pulled by the kite. A diesel power ship is only
assisted. If the ship is powered at 15 knots, and the wind is 15 knots
from, sheer luck, dead astern, the kite falls into the water.

Windmills are stationary, so any wind is relative wind.

Re: Kite Technology Used To Assist Propulsion Of Bulk Carriers

<daa37a37-c9de-462d-85f4-57519f5d7e89n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102314&group=sci.electronics.design#102314

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 12:59:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Mon, 25 Jul 2022 19:59 UTC

On Monday, 25 July 2022 at 21:10:23 UTC+2, John Larkin wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jul 2022 14:57:34 -0700 (PDT), a a <mant...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> it is also (mostly?) a safety feature so they can feather the blades in high winds
> >we can start from kiteboarding, kitesurfing
> >\to make basic calculations
> >than build kite powered small ship
> >
> >Kiteboarding - Wikipedia
> >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiteboarding
> >
> >Kiteboarding or kitesurfing is a sport that involves using wind power with a large power kite to pull a rider across a water, land, or snow surface.. It combines aspects of paragliding, surfing, windsurfing, skateboarding, snowboarding, and wakeboarding. Kiteboarding is among the less
> >
> >History
> >
> >Late 20th century
> >In October 1977 Gijsbertus Adrianus Panhuise (Netherlands) received the first patent for KiteSurfing. The patent covers, specifically, a water sport using a floating board of a surf board type
> >

> >Environments
> >
> >Kitesurfing on water includes freestyle and big air using a kiteboard similar to a wakeboard, kiting in waves using small surfboards with or without footstraps or bindings, foiling, and
> A kite surfer is pulled by the kite. A diesel power ship is only
> assisted. If the ship is powered at 15 knots, and the wind is 15 knots
> from, sheer luck, dead astern, the kite falls into the water.
>
> Windmills are stationary, so any wind is relative wind.
exactly,
so kites for diesel ships are designed as rigid structures,
and nothing falls into the water if no wind at all

Nevertheless, kite for diesel ship is an old fake

I recall experiments with vertical fixed sails, installed on top of diesel ships.

But not aware of any success story