From: funkmas...@hotmail.com (Zen Cycle)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: You don't see that every day
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 11:59:19 -0500
 by: Zen Cycle - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 16:59 UTC

Two Americans top the GC at Paris-Nice, 25 year old Brandon McNulty (UAE
Team Emirates) followed at 23 seconds by 24 year old Matteo Jorgenson
(Visma Lease A Bike) after the 6th of 8 stages. Whether or not they hold
onto their podium spots isn't a lock, but their form when they attacked
on the last climb today left little doubt they have the fitness to at
least stay with the the other contenders.

--
Add xx to reply

RE: You don't see that every day

<_0IGN.471088$PuZ9.307497@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102481&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102481

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: cyclin...@yahoo.com (Tom Kunich)
Subject: RE: You don't see that every day
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 17:36:58 GMT
 by: Tom Kunich - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 17:36 UTC

On Fri Mar 8 11:59:19 2024 Zen Cycle wrote:
> Two Americans top the GC at Paris-Nice, 25 year old Brandon McNulty (UAE
> Team Emirates) followed at 23 seconds by 24 year old Matteo Jorgenson
> (Visma Lease A Bike) after the 6th of 8 stages. Whether or not they hold
> onto their podium spots isn't a lock, but their form when they attacked
> on the last climb today left little doubt they have the fitness to at
> least stay with the the other contenders.
>

> --
> Add xx to reply

There was certainly something going on with the predicted leaders in Paris-Nice this year. You could watch UAE start into conditions of dead calm and leading to a tailwind on the way home in the Team Time Trial. The wind than shifted around and the the higher placed teams fought into cross and head winds the entire way. This meant that the higher placed teams were destroyed by the conditions.

Paris-Nice is know for this sort of thing since it really is still winter, but it certainly has to be disconcerting to know that people that are normally water carriers are now leaders and will fight you every inch of the way. You cannot be made a pro team member without a LOT of talent. And the two Americans also have the advantage of being very young so having superior recovery.