A CONS is an object which cares. -- Bernie Greenberg.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Tire widths for road?

SubjectAuthor
* Tire widths for road?Frank Krygowski
+- Re: Tire widths for road?Roger Merriman
+- Re: Tire widths for road?AMuzi
+* RE: Tire widths for road?Tom Kunich
|`* Re: Tire widths for road?Roger Merriman
| `* RE: Re: Tire widths for road?Tom Kunich
|  `* Re: Tire widths for road?Roger Merriman
|   `- Re: Tire widths for road?zen cycle
`- Re: Tire widths for road?Mark J cleary

1
Tire widths for road?

<usg27a$1u6ni$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102487&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102487

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Tire widths for road?
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 17:07:35 -0500
 by: Frank Krygowski - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 22:07 UTC

For road riding, what tire width are people here using?

IIRC, Andrew is running 23mm tubulars. On my single bikes, I'm using
either 28 or 32mm, and 35mm on the folding Bike Friday with 20" wheels
(AKA 35-406).

Is anyone using road tires wider than 32mm?

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: Tire widths for road?

<rCMGN.2037428$Lo1.983482@fx02.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102489&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102489

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Tire widths for road?
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 22:49:59 GMT
 by: Roger Merriman - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 22:49 UTC

Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> For road riding, what tire width are people here using?
>
> IIRC, Andrew is running 23mm tubulars. On my single bikes, I'm using
> either 28 or 32mm, and 35mm on the folding Bike Friday with 20" wheels
> (AKA 35-406).
>
> Is anyone using road tires wider than 32mm?

None of my bikes are pure road bikes though my commute bike ie the bike i
use on roads the most I use 50mm tires could clearly run thinner tires but
seems little reason to do so.

28/30mm would seem to be common looking around the club and other roadies.

Roger Merriman

Re: Tire widths for road?

<usg8tf$1v9ej$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102490&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102490

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 18:01:53 -0600
 by: AMuzi - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 00:01 UTC

On 3/8/2024 4:07 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> For road riding, what tire width are people here using?
>
> IIRC, Andrew is running 23mm tubulars. On my single bikes,
> I'm using either 28 or 32mm, and 35mm on the folding Bike
> Friday with 20" wheels (AKA 35-406).
>
> Is anyone using road tires wider than 32mm?

I once built myself a tandem frame and mounted the then-new
Vittoria 'open tubulars'* in 700-30 on SuperChampion #58.
Sold it in 1978 so I did actually own fat tires briefly.

*As I recall they were the first folding kevlar bead tires.
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org

RE: Tire widths for road?

<Bc%GN.361865$q3F7.203984@fx45.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102497&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102497

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: cyclin...@yahoo.com (Tom Kunich)
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2024 15:26:25 GMT
 by: Tom Kunich - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 15:26 UTC

On Fri Mar 8 17:07:35 2024 Frank Krygowski wrote:
> For road riding, what tire width are people here using?
>
> IIRC, Andrew is running 23mm tubulars. On my single bikes, I'm using
> either 28 or 32mm, and 35mm on the folding Bike Friday with 20" wheels
> (AKA 35-406).
>
> Is anyone using road tires wider than 32mm?
>
> --
> - Frank Krygowski

Testing hasd shown the normal fat American to have the least tiire friction from 30-32mm tires but unless you have a gravel or touring bike such sires won't fit in a road bike. Most people are presently using 28's.

Re: Tire widths for road?

<rN2HN.1504729$am1.377597@fx06.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102499&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102499

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2024 19:30:31 GMT
 by: Roger Merriman - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 19:30 UTC

Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Fri Mar 8 17:07:35 2024 Frank Krygowski wrote:
>> For road riding, what tire width are people here using?
>>
>> IIRC, Andrew is running 23mm tubulars. On my single bikes, I'm using
>> either 28 or 32mm, and 35mm on the folding Bike Friday with 20" wheels
>> (AKA 35-406).
>>
>> Is anyone using road tires wider than 32mm?
>>
>> --
>> - Frank Krygowski
>

> Testing hasd shown the normal fat American to have the least tiire
> friction from 30-32mm tires but unless you have a gravel or touring bike
> such sires won't fit in a road bike. Most people are presently using 28's.

Giant TCR road race bike, ie pointy end will fit 33mm ie CX tires and have
done for number of years.

Ie road bikes even ones with racy aims and geometry have gained tire
clearances.

No technical reason not to, compared to older bikes with much more narrow
clearances which where based on iffy science, if at all!

Roger Merriman

RE: Re: Tire widths for road?

<bt3HN.59084$zF_1.43538@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102502&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102502

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: cyclin...@yahoo.com (Tom Kunich)
Subject: RE: Re: Tire widths for road?
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2024 20:17:11 GMT
 by: Tom Kunich - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 20:17 UTC

On Sat Mar 9 19:30:31 2024 Roger Merriman wrote:
> Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On Fri Mar 8 17:07:35 2024 Frank Krygowski wrote:
> >> For road riding, what tire width are people here using?
> >>
> >> IIRC, Andrew is running 23mm tubulars. On my single bikes, I'm using
> >> either 28 or 32mm, and 35mm on the folding Bike Friday with 20" wheels
> >> (AKA 35-406).
> >>
> >> Is anyone using road tires wider than 32mm?
> >>
> >> --
> >> - Frank Krygowski
> >

> > Testing hasd shown the normal fat American to have the least tiire
> > friction from 30-32mm tires but unless you have a gravel or touring bike
> > such sires won't fit in a road bike. Most people are presently using 28's.
> >

> Giant TCR road race bike, ie pointy end will fit 33mm ie CX tires and have
> done for number of years.
>
> Ie road bikes even ones with racy aims and geometry have gained tire
> clearances.
>
> No technical reason not to, compared to older bikes with much more narrow
> clearances which where based on iffy science, if at all!
>
> Roger Merriman

My brother has a Giant TCR and it won't mount anything wider than a 28. Perhaps you're talking abouit the Giant cyclocross bike? Perhaps they are also called a TCR?

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=162798

CX tires are squared off on the top. I've seen 28 mm tires on some rims that measured 30 mm but I never measured them myself. All of the wheels I have do not expand beyong the rims. But these are 21 mm inside wall width rims. I did buy a set of Campagnolo rims that are supposed to be 24 mm but the tires seemed to not expand outside the rim as much.

Re: Tire widths for road?

<s%3HN.2075690$Lo1.1267192@fx02.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102506&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102506

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2024 20:53:44 GMT
 by: Roger Merriman - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 20:53 UTC

Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Sat Mar 9 19:30:31 2024 Roger Merriman wrote:
>> Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Testing hasd shown the normal fat American to have the least tiire
>>> friction from 30-32mm tires but unless you have a gravel or touring bike
>>> such sires won't fit in a road bike. Most people are presently using 28's.
>>>

>> Giant TCR road race bike, ie pointy end will fit 33mm ie CX tires and have
>> done for number of years.
>>
>> Ie road bikes even ones with racy aims and geometry have gained tire
>> clearances.
>>
>> No technical reason not to, compared to older bikes with much more narrow
>> clearances which where based on iffy science, if at all!
>>
>> Roger Merriman
>>

> My brother has a Giant TCR and it won't mount anything wider than a 28.
> Perhaps you're talking abouit the Giant cyclocross bike? Perhaps they are
> also called a TCR?
>
> https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t2798
>
> CX tires are squared off on the top. I've seen 28 mm tires on some rims
> that measured 30 mm but I never measured them myself. All of the wheels I
> have do not expand beyong the rims. But these are 21 mm inside wall width
> rims. I did buy a set of Campagnolo rims that are supposed to be 24 mm
> but the tires seemed to not expand outside the rim as much.

Older ones very probably like with most bike brands, but latest model
claims 33mm max size and seems to have been 32 going back number of years,
but broadly speaking all road bikes have increased their tire clearance
over last 10 years or so.

Most companies are a bit conservative with frame clearances though off road
do need to keep some mud clearance space, on road can get much closer.

Roger Merriman

Re: Tire widths for road?

<usk8f4$iq5d$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102512&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102512

From: funkmast...@hotmail.com (zen cycle)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 08:18:43 -0400
 by: zen cycle - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 12:18 UTC

On 3/9/2024 3:53 PM, Roger Merriman wrote:
> Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Giant TCR road race bike, ie pointy end will fit 33mm ie CX tires and have
>>> done for number of years.
>>>
>>> Ie road bikes even ones with racy aims and geometry have gained tire
>>> clearances.
>>>
>>> No technical reason not to, compared to older bikes with much more narrow
>>> clearances which where based on iffy science, if at all!
>>>
>>> Roger Merriman
>>>

>> My brother has a Giant TCR and it won't mount anything wider than a 28.
>> Perhaps you're talking abouit the Giant cyclocross bike? Perhaps they are
>> also called a TCR?
>>
>> https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t2798
>>
>> CX tires are squared off on the top. I've seen 28 mm tires on some rims
>> that measured 30 mm but I never measured them myself. All of the wheels I
>> have do not expand beyong the rims. But these are 21 mm inside wall width
>> rims. I did buy a set of Campagnolo rims that are supposed to be 24 mm
>> but the tires seemed to not expand outside the rim as much.
>>
> Older ones very probably like with most bike brands, but latest model
> claims 33mm max size and seems to have been 32 going back number of years,
> but broadly speaking all road bikes have increased their tire clearance
> over last 10 years or so.
>
> Most companies are a bit conservative with frame clearances though off road
> do need to keep some mud clearance space, on road can get much closer.
>
> Roger Merriman

I have an early 2000's TCR Team. There isn't much clearance in the rear
for anything larger than a 28. Newer TCR models have much more room.

Re: Tire widths for road?

<bbd8842b-413d-4ece-9845-a668079fcedf@comcast.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102523&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102523

From: mclear...@comcast.net (Mark J cleary)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 15:24:43 -0500
 by: Mark J cleary - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 20:24 UTC

On 3/8/2024 4:07 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> For road riding, what tire width are people here using?
>
> IIRC, Andrew is running 23mm tubulars. On my single bikes, I'm using
> either 28 or 32mm, and 35mm on the folding Bike Friday with 20" wheels
> (AKA 35-406).
>
> Is anyone using road tires wider than 32mm?

I use 28 Conti GP 5000s on my disk brake bike and 25 on the rim brake. I
could go to 28 for it but no need really. I don't like riding on any
gravel.

--
Deacon Mark