That does not compute.

tech / sci.electronics.repair / Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?

SubjectAuthor
* Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using ThunderAmanda Riphnykhazova
+- Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using ThunderLiz Tuddenham
+- Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using ThunderbBob F
+- Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using ThunderbAndy Burns
+* Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using ThunderRayner Lucas
|+* Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using ThunderbAmanda Riphnykhazova
||+* Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using ThunderbRayner Lucas
|||`* Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using ThunderbAmanda Riphnykhazova
||| `* Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using ThunderbRayner Lucas
|||  `* Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using ThunderbBob F
|||   `* Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using ThunderbBob F
|||    `* Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using ThunderbCarlos E.R.
|||     `* Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using ThunderbAmanda Ripanykhazova
|||      +- Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbehsjr
|||      `* Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using ThunderbCarlos E.R.
|||       `* Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using ThunderbAmanda Ripanykhazova
|||        `* Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using ThunderbCarlos E.R.
|||         `* Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using ThunderbAndy Burns
|||          `* Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using ThunderbCarlos E.R.
|||           `* Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using ThunderbAndy Burns
|||            `* Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using ThunderbCarlos E.R.
|||             `* Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using ThunderbAndy Burns
|||              `* Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using ThunderbCarlos E.R.
|||               `* Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using ThunderbAndy Burns
|||                `* Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using ThunderbCarlos E.R.
|||                 `- Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using ThunderbAndy Burns
||`- Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using ThunderbJohn Robertson
|`- Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using ThunderbAmanda Ripanykhazova
+- Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbthree_jeeps
`* Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbohg...@gmail.com
 +- Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbehsjr
 `- Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using ThunderbBob F

Pages:12
Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?

<7c449e89-39f0-4e9c-a736-067f297a6805n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10258&group=sci.electronics.repair#10258

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 06:26:30 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started
using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
From: licensed...@gmail.com (Amanda Riphnykhazova)
 by: Amanda Riphnykhazova - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 14:26 UTC

Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?

I looked it up. Here are the instructions: (once the user has been told a few times that T'Bird is really for email and that all the instructions and searches are directed to that end) AND PROBLEMS

Here's how to set up Thunderbird to import Google Groups:
In Thunderbird, go to the gContactSync menu THERE IS NO GCONTACTSYNC MENU
Select Edit Accounts HOW DO YOU EDIT AN ACCOUNT IN A NON-EXISTENT MENU?
Choose your account WHICH ACCOUNT THAT ISN'T A MAIL ACCOUNT?

To be fair, those instructions do say that they are AI Generated. Which may well be why they seem so screwed up

(oh, and I am still using ggroups, so I cant reply to posts!)

Re: Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?

<1qmtcbr.kdy8hxk9gr2aN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10259&group=sci.electronics.repair#10259

From: liz...@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 14:34:23 +0000
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 14:34 UTC

Amanda Riphnykhazova <licensedtoquill@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using
> Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
>
> I looked it up. Here are the instructions: (once the user has been told
> a few times that T'Bird is really for email and that all the instructions
> and searches are directed to that end) AND PROBLEMS
>
> Here's how to set up Thunderbird to import Google Groups: In Thunderbird,
> go to the gContactSync menu THERE IS NO GCONTACTSYNC MENU Select
> Edit Accounts HOW DO
> YOU EDIT AN ACCOUNT IN A NON-EXISTENT MENU? Choose your account
> WHICH ACCOUNT THAT ISN'T A MAIL ACCOUNT?
>
> To be fair, those instructions do say that they are AI Generated. Which
> may well be why they seem so screwed up
>
> (oh, and I am still using ggroups, so I cant reply to posts!)

For users of older Macs, I recommend MacSOUP and a subscription to
News.Individual.NET

(No connection other than as a happy customer since about 2001)
--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?

<un6las$3n3oe$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10262&group=sci.electronics.repair#10262

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 08:11:05 -0800
 by: Bob F - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 16:11 UTC

On 1/4/2024 6:26 AM, Amanda Riphnykhazova wrote:
> Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
>
> I looked it up. Here are the instructions: (once the user has been told a few times that T'Bird is really for email and that all the instructions and searches are directed to that end) AND PROBLEMS
>
> Here's how to set up Thunderbird to import Google Groups:
> In Thunderbird, go to the gContactSync menu THERE IS NO GCONTACTSYNC MENU
> Select Edit Accounts HOW DO YOU EDIT AN ACCOUNT IN A NON-EXISTENT MENU?
> Choose your account WHICH ACCOUNT THAT ISN'T A MAIL ACCOUNT?
>
> To be fair, those instructions do say that they are AI Generated. Which may well be why they seem so screwed up
>
> (oh, and I am still using ggroups, so I cant reply to posts!)

When you choose to make it difficult, you get what you deserve.

Re: Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?

<kvo52gF9c2rU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10263&group=sci.electronics.repair#10263

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 16:35:27 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 16:35 UTC

Amanda Riphnykhazova wrote:

> THERE IS NO GCONTACTSYNC MENU

You seem to be following instructions involving the gContactSync add-on,
it doesn't look to compatible with current versions of thunderbird,
hasn't been updated in 5 years.

Re: Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?

<MPG.4001409813ebf59c9896d0@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10264&group=sci.electronics.repair#10264

From: usenet20...@magic-cookie.co.ukNOSPAMPLEASE (Rayner Lucas)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 22:25:20 -0000
 by: Rayner Lucas - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 22:25 UTC

In article <7c449e89-39f0-4e9c-a736-067f297a6805n@googlegroups.com>,
licensedtoquill@gmail.com says...

> Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started
> using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
[snip wrong instructions]
> To be fair, those instructions do say that they are AI Generated.
> Which may well be why they seem so screwed up

There's a human-written guide here that ought to get you on the right
track: https://www.big-8.org/wiki/Getting_Started_with_Usenet

These AI text-generators don't actually understand anything they write,
they're just churning out sequences of words that are likely to occur
together. It's about as useful as asking your phone's autocomplete.
Unfortunately, unscrupulous people have discovered that it's very easy
to set up websites full of AI-generated clickbait to get people to look
at ads, so it's getting harder and harder to find genuine useful
information on the web.

Best,
Rayner

Re: Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?

<b2267c52-03de-4f1a-bdc3-d5774f3ac007n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10265&group=sci.electronics.repair#10265

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2024 15:17:28 -0800 (PST)
using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
From: licensed...@gmail.com (Amanda Riphnykhazova)
 by: Amanda Riphnykhazova - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 23:17 UTC

WELL PUT! A refreshing 'new' take on AI

Sorry, I thought I had explained, the major point of my 'question' was the bit where I said that the instructions were AI generated! By that I meant to say as a minor point of my post that the instructions may look slightly difficult; but the major point of the post was to elicit some general hilarity at how AI can get things wrong by simply trawling around the internet looking for possible answers to some wrong question.

Anyway, I have set up T'Bird now to read NG messages and have moved on to trying ti figure out why I can't reply to messages without getting an IMPROPERLY CONFIGURED OUTGOING NEWSGROUP error message.

( I also discovered that the POST button has only disappeared from Chrome, not Firefox)

Re: Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?

<MPG.4001965228f1943c9896d3@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10266&group=sci.electronics.repair#10266

From: usenet20...@magic-cookie.co.ukNOSPAMPLEASE (Rayner Lucas)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 04:30:47 -0000
 by: Rayner Lucas - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 04:30 UTC

In article <b2267c52-03de-4f1a-bdc3-d5774f3ac007n@googlegroups.com>,
licensedtoquill@gmail.com says...

> WELL PUT! A refreshing 'new' take on AI
>
> Sorry, I thought I had explained, the major point of my 'question' was
> the bit where I said that the instructions were AI generated! By that
> I meant to say as a minor point of my post that the instructions may
> look slightly difficult; but the major point of the post was to elicit
> some general hilarity at how AI can get things wrong by simply
> trawling around the internet looking for possible answers to some
> wrong question.

Ah, that was just me reading too fast to pick up on the joke (and being
eager to rant about the plague of AI search-engine spam). It's pretty
funny how absurd it gets sometimes - not long ago I saw an AI-generated
history web page supposedly about the invention of window glass, but
about halfway through it veered off into writing about MS-DOS... because
that was what people used before Windows.

> Anyway, I have set up T'Bird now to read NG messages and have moved on
> to trying ti figure out why I can't reply to messages without getting
> an IMPROPERLY CONFIGURED OUTGOING NEWSGROUP error message.

Good luck! (random thought, do you also get the error when you start a
new thread, or just when following up to an existing message?)

Re: Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?

<be2cbbba-3e57-489c-9e1c-951e42ef1d5dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10267&group=sci.electronics.repair#10267

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 07:01:00 -0800 (PST)
using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
From: licensed...@gmail.com (Amanda Riphnykhazova)
 by: Amanda Riphnykhazova - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 15:01 UTC

> Ah, that was just me reading too fast to pick up on the joke (and being
> eager to rant about the plague of AI search-engine spam). It's pretty
> funny how absurd it gets sometimes - not long ago I saw an AI-generated
> history web page supposedly about the invention of window glass, but
> about halfway through it veered off into writing about MS-DOS... because
> that was what people used before Windows.
> > Anyway, I have set up T'Bird now to read NG messages and have moved on
> > to trying ti figure out why I can't reply to messages without getting
> > an IMPROPERLY CONFIGURED OUTGOING NEWSGROUP error message.
> Good luck! (random thought, do you also get the error when you start a
> new thread, or just when following up to an existing message?)

No need to apologize for a rant when all readers are likely to agree with you and enjoy reading your take on the subject. That is why we are here.

The point was originally put in the Guardian in about November 2022 when they first commented on ChatGPT by noting that it seemed to be a mechanical way of bullshitting at length on any subject out there.

(BTW I only get that error message when sending responses: I DO seem to be able tp do fresh postings without being given the error message )

Re: Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?

<MPG.40023dd3ce55d3599896d4@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10268&group=sci.electronics.repair#10268

From: usenet20...@magic-cookie.co.ukNOSPAMPLEASE (Rayner Lucas)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 16:25:31 -0000
 by: Rayner Lucas - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 16:25 UTC

In article <be2cbbba-3e57-489c-9e1c-951e42ef1d5dn@googlegroups.com>,
licensedtoquill@gmail.com says...

> The point was originally put in the Guardian in about November 2022
> when they first commented on ChatGPT by noting that it seemed to be a
> mechanical way of bullshitting at length on any subject out there.

Exactly! It very much reminds me of Harry Frankfurt's famous essay "On
Bullshit", where he observes that bullshitting is different from lying
because (just like ChatGPT) bullshitters don't even know or care whether
what they say is true.

> (BTW I only get that error message when sending responses: I DO seem
> to be able tp do fresh postings without being given the error message)

That's helpful to know, because it means your news server settings must
be fine. Just to clarify, are you trying to send a "Reply" (by email),
or a "Followup" (to the newsgroup)? (personally I think this terminology
is confusing, despite being used in a lot of Usenet clients; I always
have to pause for a moment to remember which is which)

Re: Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?

<617321b7-c1f7-4e5f-b604-71b84135a5d8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10269&group=sci.electronics.repair#10269

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 10:13:04 -0800 (PST)
using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
From: licensed...@gmail.com (Amanda Ripanykhazova)
 by: Amanda Ripanykhazova - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 18:13 UTC

I was trying to post a followup here with Thunderbird in response to your suggestions and I had set up the last server recommendation, - paganini.bofh.team

I got that error message so I had to switch back to Firefox and ggroups to post this

Re: Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?

<761b8ad0-61c5-42a0-b302-672ff9876dd3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10271&group=sci.electronics.repair#10271

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 14:54:45 -0800 (PST)
using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
From: jjhu...@gmail.com (three_jeeps)
 by: three_jeeps - Fri, 5 Jan 2024 22:54 UTC

On Thursday, January 4, 2024 at 9:26:33 AM UTC-5, Amanda Riphnykhazova wrote:
> Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
>
> I looked it up. Here are the instructions: (once the user has been told a few times that T'Bird is really for email and that all the instructions and searches are directed to that end) AND PROBLEMS
>
> Here's how to set up Thunderbird to import Google Groups:
> In Thunderbird, go to the gContactSync menu THERE IS NO GCONTACTSYNC MENU
> Select Edit Accounts HOW DO YOU EDIT AN ACCOUNT IN A NON-EXISTENT MENU?
> Choose your account WHICH ACCOUNT THAT ISN'T A MAIL ACCOUNT?
>
> To be fair, those instructions do say that they are AI Generated. Which may well be why they seem so screwed up
>
> (oh, and I am still using ggroups, so I cant reply to posts!)

"Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?"
Is this a declarative statement or a question???

Thunderbird is fairly simple to install, configure as a SMTP mail client to Google, and then use. Read the official Thunderbird doc and spend a little time using the software, possibly with your favorite drink dejour. You will never go back to a web base browser.

Re: Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?

<unabmm$bhte$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10272&group=sci.electronics.repair#10272

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 17:51:11 -0800
 by: Bob F - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 01:51 UTC

On 1/5/2024 8:25 AM, Rayner Lucas wrote:
> In article <be2cbbba-3e57-489c-9e1c-951e42ef1d5dn@googlegroups.com>,
> licensedtoquill@gmail.com says...
>>
>> The point was originally put in the Guardian in about November 2022
>> when they first commented on ChatGPT by noting that it seemed to be a
>> mechanical way of bullshitting at length on any subject out there.
>
> Exactly! It very much reminds me of Harry Frankfurt's famous essay "On
> Bullshit", where he observes that bullshitting is different from lying
> because (just like ChatGPT) bullshitters don't even know or care whether
> what they say is true.
>
>> (BTW I only get that error message when sending responses: I DO seem
>> to be able tp do fresh postings without being given the error message)
>
> That's helpful to know, because it means your news server settings must
> be fine. Just to clarify, are you trying to send a "Reply" (by email),
> or a "Followup" (to the newsgroup)? (personally I think this terminology
> is confusing, despite being used in a lot of Usenet clients; I always
> have to pause for a moment to remember which is which)

Indeed. If you "Reply", you will often get an error message returned a
while later, because a "Reply" goes to the posters declared email
address. Followups go to the newsgroup you are reading.

Re: Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?

<unabr8$bihm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10273&group=sci.electronics.repair#10273

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 17:53:37 -0800
 by: Bob F - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 01:53 UTC

On 1/5/2024 5:51 PM, Bob F wrote:
> On 1/5/2024 8:25 AM, Rayner Lucas wrote:
>> In article <be2cbbba-3e57-489c-9e1c-951e42ef1d5dn@googlegroups.com>,
>> licensedtoquill@gmail.com says...
>>>
>>> The point was originally put in the Guardian in about November 2022
>>> when they first commented on ChatGPT by noting that it seemed to be a
>>> mechanical way of bullshitting at length on any subject out there.
>>
>> Exactly! It very much reminds me of Harry Frankfurt's famous essay "On
>> Bullshit", where he observes that bullshitting is different from lying
>> because (just like ChatGPT) bullshitters don't even know or care whether
>> what they say is true.
>>
>>> (BTW I only get that error message when sending responses: I DO seem
>>> to be able tp do fresh postings without being given the error message)
>>
>> That's helpful to know, because it means your news server settings must
>> be fine. Just to clarify, are you trying to send a "Reply" (by email),
>> or a "Followup" (to the newsgroup)? (personally I think this terminology
>> is confusing, despite being used in a lot of Usenet clients; I always
>> have to pause for a moment to remember which is which)
>
> Indeed. If you "Reply", you will often get an error message returned a
> while later, because a "Reply" goes to the posters declared email
> address. Followups go to the newsgroup you are reading.

Many people use non-existant "reply" address in their usenet posts.

Re: Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?

<unavp4$h8qn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10275&group=sci.electronics.repair#10275

From: jrr...@flippers.com (John Robertson)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 23:33:56 -0800
 by: John Robertson - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 07:33 UTC

On 2024/01/04 3:17 p.m., Amanda Riphnykhazova wrote:
> WELL PUT! A refreshing 'new' take on AI
>
> Sorry, I thought I had explained, the major point of my 'question' was the bit where I said that the instructions were AI generated! By that I meant to say as a minor point of my post that the instructions may look slightly difficult; but the major point of the post was to elicit some general hilarity at how AI can get things wrong by simply trawling around the internet looking for possible answers to some wrong question.
>
> Anyway, I have set up T'Bird now to read NG messages and have moved on to trying ti figure out why I can't reply to messages without getting an IMPROPERLY CONFIGURED OUTGOING NEWSGROUP error message.
>
> ( I also discovered that the POST button has only disappeared from Chrome, not Firefox)

I guess this depends on how you have Thunderbird configured for Newsgroups.
For example - what do you see on the window that opens when you Followup
to a message (send msg to usenet) vs Reply (send email to poster)?

My setup shows:

From John Robertson<jrr@flippers.com> news.eternal-september | Followup
To >>
Reply-To Spam@flippers.com
Newsgroup sci-electronics.repair
Subject Re: Hang on....

(then the text followed by my reply above)

How have you set up Manage Identities under Account Settings for your
news supplier?

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
#7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Re: Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?

<qqun6kx44l.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10276&group=sci.electronics.repair#10276

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 13:48:58 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 12:48 UTC

On 2024-01-06 02:53, Bob F wrote:
> On 1/5/2024 5:51 PM, Bob F wrote:
>> On 1/5/2024 8:25 AM, Rayner Lucas wrote:
>>> In article <be2cbbba-3e57-489c-9e1c-951e42ef1d5dn@googlegroups.com>,
>>> licensedtoquill@gmail.com says...

>>> Exactly! It very much reminds me of Harry Frankfurt's famous essay "On
>>> Bullshit", where he observes that bullshitting is different from lying
>>> because (just like ChatGPT) bullshitters don't even know or care whether
>>> what they say is true.

>>> That's helpful to know, because it means your news server settings must
>>> be fine. Just to clarify, are you trying to send a "Reply" (by email),
>>> or a "Followup" (to the newsgroup)? (personally I think this terminology
>>> is confusing, despite being used in a lot of Usenet clients; I always
>>> have to pause for a moment to remember which is which)
>>
>> Indeed. If you "Reply", you will often get an error message returned a
>> while later, because a "Reply" goes to the posters declared email
>> address. Followups go to the newsgroup you are reading.
>>

> Many people use non-existant "reply" address in their usenet posts.

Not only that, you also need to configure the outgoing mail account
properly for news.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?

<ea76cfdb-fa99-4f6e-b0b3-87d87afdc38fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10278&group=sci.electronics.repair#10278

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 08:13:50 -0800 (PST)
using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
From: licensed...@gmail.com (Amanda Ripanykhazova)
 by: Amanda Ripanykhazova - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 16:13 UTC

No, I didnt configure anything, I just kinda expected it to work like it has always done with USENET (I think I used to use Outlook Express), Deja and GGroups. And it does, except for sending the outgoing messages to the news group.

I'll check my settings again

Re: Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?

<c0651e71-f3ea-4472-880e-c07fd2b7a392n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10279&group=sci.electronics.repair#10279

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 10:30:44 -0800 (PST)
using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
From: ohge...@gmail.com (ohg...@gmail.com)
 by: ohg...@gmail.com - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 18:30 UTC

On Thursday, January 4, 2024 at 9:26:33 AM UTC-5, Amanda Riphnykhazova wrote:
> Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
>
> I looked it up. Here are the instructions: (once the user has been told a few times that T'Bird is really for email and that all the instructions and searches are directed to that end) AND PROBLEMS
>
> Here's how to set up Thunderbird to import Google Groups:
> In Thunderbird, go to the gContactSync menu THERE IS NO GCONTACTSYNC MENU
> Select Edit Accounts HOW DO YOU EDIT AN ACCOUNT IN A NON-EXISTENT MENU?
> Choose your account WHICH ACCOUNT THAT ISN'T A MAIL ACCOUNT?
>
> To be fair, those instructions do say that they are AI Generated. Which may well be why they seem so screwed up
>
> (oh, and I am still using ggroups, so I cant reply to posts!)

Same. I installed Thunderbird and all it seems to do is read my emails, something I could do without it. I don't see any way of accessing newsgroups..

Re: Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?

<unc7m5$n54i$1@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10280&group=sci.electronics.repair#10280

From: ehs...@verizon.net (ehsjr)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 13:55:01 -0500
 by: ehsjr - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 18:55 UTC

On 1/6/2024 11:13 AM, Amanda Ripanykhazova wrote:
> No, I didnt configure anything, I just kinda expected it to work like it has always done with USENET (I think I used to use Outlook Express), Deja and GGroups. And it does, except for sending the outgoing messages to the news group.
>
> I'll check my settings again

I had to configure it. See the following url for instructions:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/manual-account-configuration

Worked for me.
Ed

Re: Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?

<unc80s$n54i$2@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10281&group=sci.electronics.repair#10281

From: ehs...@verizon.net (ehsjr)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 14:00:44 -0500
 by: ehsjr - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 19:00 UTC

On 1/6/2024 1:30 PM, ohg...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, January 4, 2024 at 9:26:33 AM UTC-5, Amanda Riphnykhazova wrote:
>> Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
>>
>> I looked it up. Here are the instructions: (once the user has been told a few times that T'Bird is really for email and that all the instructions and searches are directed to that end) AND PROBLEMS
>>
>> Here's how to set up Thunderbird to import Google Groups:
>> In Thunderbird, go to the gContactSync menu THERE IS NO GCONTACTSYNC MENU
>> Select Edit Accounts HOW DO YOU EDIT AN ACCOUNT IN A NON-EXISTENT MENU?
>> Choose your account WHICH ACCOUNT THAT ISN'T A MAIL ACCOUNT?
>>
>> To be fair, those instructions do say that they are AI Generated. Which may well be why they seem so screwed up
>>
>> (oh, and I am still using ggroups, so I cant reply to posts!)
>

> Same. I installed Thunderbird and all it seems to do is read my emails, something I could do without it. I don't see any way of accessing newsgroups.

Go to the url below to get R/W access to newsgroups.
http://www.eternal-september.org/

Works for me.
Ed

Re: Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?

<d4oo6kxa9t.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10282&group=sci.electronics.repair#10282

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 21:00:45 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 20:00 UTC

On 2024-01-06 17:13, Amanda Ripanykhazova wrote:
> No, I didnt configure anything, I just kinda expected it to work like it has always done with USENET (I think I used to use Outlook Express), Deja and GGroups. And it does, except for sending the outgoing messages to the news group.
>
> I'll check my settings again

You need:

Account name
Your name
Email Address (can be an invalid one)

server name: Port:
Connection security

X Check for new messages every 15 minutes.

That's all that is *needed*

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?

<a55ea96d-9363-405c-a54a-a2d5fa268826n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10283&group=sci.electronics.repair#10283

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 20:05:57 -0800 (PST)
using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
From: licensed...@gmail.com (Amanda Ripanykhazova)
 by: Amanda Ripanykhazova - Sun, 7 Jan 2024 04:05 UTC

No, everything seems to have been set up for me.
But outgoing (SMTP) settings is empty

It says to just use the default
but there is no,thing set up as a default??

Re: Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?

<undckv$voag$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10286&group=sci.electronics.repair#10286

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 21:25:43 -0800
 by: Bob F - Sun, 7 Jan 2024 05:25 UTC

On 1/6/2024 10:30 AM, ohg...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, January 4, 2024 at 9:26:33 AM UTC-5, Amanda Riphnykhazova wrote:
>> Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
>>
>> I looked it up. Here are the instructions: (once the user has been told a few times that T'Bird is really for email and that all the instructions and searches are directed to that end) AND PROBLEMS
>>
>> Here's how to set up Thunderbird to import Google Groups:
>> In Thunderbird, go to the gContactSync menu THERE IS NO GCONTACTSYNC MENU
>> Select Edit Accounts HOW DO YOU EDIT AN ACCOUNT IN A NON-EXISTENT MENU?
>> Choose your account WHICH ACCOUNT THAT ISN'T A MAIL ACCOUNT?
>>
>> To be fair, those instructions do say that they are AI Generated. Which may well be why they seem so screwed up
>>
>> (oh, and I am still using ggroups, so I cant reply to posts!)
>

> Same. I installed Thunderbird and all it seems to do is read my emails, something I could do without it. I don't see any way of accessing newsgroups.

"File", "New", "Newsgroup account"

Re: Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?

<l4kq6kxabk.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10287&group=sci.electronics.repair#10287

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 14:04:53 +0100
<unabmm$bhte$1@dont-email.me> <unabr8$bihm$1@dont-email.me>
<qqun6kx44l.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>
<ea76cfdb-fa99-4f6e-b0b3-87d87afdc38fn@googlegroups.com>
<d4oo6kxa9t.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>
<a55ea96d-9363-405c-a54a-a2d5fa268826n@googlegroups.com>
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 7 Jan 2024 13:04 UTC

On 2024-01-07 05:05, Amanda Ripanykhazova wrote:
> No, everything seems to have been set up for me.
> But outgoing (SMTP) settings is empty

Empty is correct.

> It says to just use the default
> but there is no,thing set up as a default??

You are not to use SMTP.

You are not not "Reply" to posts here.

You are to "Follow up" to posts here.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?

<kvvplqFnn5dU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10288&group=sci.electronics.repair#10288

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 14:10:02 +0000
<unabmm$bhte$1@dont-email.me> <unabr8$bihm$1@dont-email.me>
<qqun6kx44l.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>
<ea76cfdb-fa99-4f6e-b0b3-87d87afdc38fn@googlegroups.com>
<d4oo6kxa9t.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>
<a55ea96d-9363-405c-a54a-a2d5fa268826n@googlegroups.com>
<l4kq6kxabk.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 7 Jan 2024 14:10 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:

> You are not not "Reply" to posts here.
>
> You are to "Follow up" to posts here.

That depends ... if you have the message header pane toolbar enabled,
the reply button there behaves differently to the reply button on the
main toolbar.

Re: Hang about guys, I just realised (remembered) why I never started using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?

<htpq6kxmiv.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10289&group=sci.electronics.repair#10289

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
using Thunderbird before. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT?
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 15:43:29 +0100
<unabmm$bhte$1@dont-email.me> <unabr8$bihm$1@dont-email.me>
<qqun6kx44l.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>
<ea76cfdb-fa99-4f6e-b0b3-87d87afdc38fn@googlegroups.com>
<d4oo6kxa9t.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>
<a55ea96d-9363-405c-a54a-a2d5fa268826n@googlegroups.com>
<l4kq6kxabk.ln2@Telcontar.valinor> <kvvplqFnn5dU3@mid.individual.net>
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 7 Jan 2024 14:43 UTC

On 2024-01-07 15:10, Andy Burns wrote:
> Carlos E.R. wrote:
>
>> You are not not "Reply" to posts here.
>>
>> You are to "Follow up" to posts here.
>
> That depends ... if you have the message header pane toolbar enabled,
> the reply button there behaves differently to the reply button on the
> main toolbar.

I don't have buttons on the main toolbar, but I have the main menu.

"Message-Reply to sender only" behaves the same as "Reply" button in the
message header pane toolbar and would send an email to you, but using my
invalid email and the default smtp server, which will not work.

"Message-Reply to all" attempts something that will fail. I'm not
clicking send.

"Message-Follow up to newsgroup" does the same as the "Follow up" button