Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: cyclin...@yahoo.com (Tom Kunich)
Subject: Uphill speed
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 21:36:38 GMT
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 21:36 UTC

On the 12-13 and 14% climbs they looked pretty human. Riding around 10 mph which is 6 mph faster than me on a climb olike that.

But I was flaberghasted with the climbing speed of the pro's on a 6% grade. They were doing probably 15 mph. Maybe even 20 on some false flats.

Does anyone have any idea of how they can keep speeds like that up for 100 miles?

Re: Uphill speed

<SCCIN.1277004$zRoc.1012599@fx10.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102595&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102595

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Uphill speed
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 13:05:54 GMT
 by: Roger Merriman - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 13:05 UTC

Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On the 12-13 and 14% climbs they looked pretty human. Riding around 10
> mph which is 6 mph faster than me on a climb olike that.
>
> But I was flaberghasted with the climbing speed of the pro's on a 6%
> grade. They were doing probably 15 mph. Maybe even 20 on some false flats.
>
> Does anyone have any idea of how they can keep speeds like that up for 100 miles?

Being very fit! And in a large peloton helps, Tour of Britain occasionally
comes into the Welsh hills and the speed they come up is remarkable.

Roger Merriman