The following statement is not true. The previous statement is true.

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: 5 cyclists fought off wild cougar with rocks and sticks for 45 minutes to save their friend's life: report

SubjectAuthor
* 5 cyclists fought off wild cougar with rocks and sticks for 45 minutes to save tJosh Bolt
+* Re: 5 cyclists fought off wild cougar with rocks and sticks for 45a425couple
|`- Re: 5 cyclists fought off wild cougar with rocks and sticks for 45AMuzi
`- Re: 5 cyclists fought off wild cougar with rocks and sticks for 45 minutes to saRadey Shouman

1
5 cyclists fought off wild cougar with rocks and sticks for 45 minutes to save their friend's life: report

<ut8i15$4p5$3@toxic.dizum.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102650&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102650

From: jbo...@none.com (Josh Bolt)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech,soc.women,alt.survival,talk.politics.guns,seattle.politics
Subject: 5 cyclists fought off wild cougar with rocks and sticks for 45 minutes to save their friend's life: report
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 05:04:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Josh Bolt - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 05:04 UTC

A group of cyclists in their 50s and 60s battled with a cougar for 45
minutes after the mountain cat launched at one of their friends and
clamped down on her face during a team ride on a vast Washington state
trail last month.

The five cyclists recalled the harrowing struggle to pry the beast off
their friend using just rocks, sticks and their own hands during the Feb.
17 attack on a trail northeast of Fall City in Washington, according to a
recent report.

The friends, all part of the competitive Recycled Cycles Racing team, were
19 miles into their biking trip when the wild animal lunged at 60-year-old
Keri Bergere and tackled her into a shallow ditch off the trail with the
cougar teeth biting her jaw.

�I thought my teeth were coming loose, and I was gonna swallow my teeth,�
Bergere told KUOW in an interview published Thursday. �I could feel the
bones crushing, and I could feel it tearing back.�

�I felt like it was suffocating me,� she also told the station. �I could
taste the blood in my mouth.�

Her friends quickly rallied to her defense using sticks and rocks to try
to get the male cougar to loosen his grip on Bergere, whose face was
forced into the ground. One cyclist stabbed the cat with a small knife and
another, Annie Bilotta, 64, attempted to choke the vicious creature.

�That was like choking a rock,� Bilotta told KUOW. �It did absolutely
nothing.�

She then tried to pry the cougar�s jaw with her hand.

�I felt it shifting its teeth like it wanted to try to bite me too,�
Bilotta said. �I said �no, you�re not gonna get both of us.��

Auna Tietz, 59, dropped a 25-pound rock on the cougar�s head numerous
times while trying to avoid hitting her friend. Bergere, still trapped by
the cougar, tried to jab her fingers up the animal�s nostrils and in his
eyes.

Finally, after 15 minutes, the animal let up and Bergere was able to crawl
away.

Tisch Williams, 59, then grabbed the $6,000 bike of 51-year-old Erica Wolf
and the group used it to pin down the mountain puma for 30 minutes before
a Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife police officer arrived and
shot the creature between the shoulder blades, the outlet reported.

�All these ladies came up with superhuman strength,� said Bergere, who was
hospitalized in stable condition, but had noticeable facial injuries.

�They�re teeny ladies, and I know that the Fish & Wildlife shot the final
shot to kill it. But these ladies killed that cougar with their bare hands
and no weapons,� she also said. �I�m eternally grateful to each one of
them.�

The male cougar was about a 1-year-old and weighed roughly 75 pounds,
state Fish and Wildlife officials said.

The animal didn�t have rabies or other significant diseases or issues that
would lead to aggressive behavior, the department said.

https://nypost.com/2024/03/17/us-news/washington-state-cyclists-describe-
fighting-off-cougar-during-attack/

Re: 5 cyclists fought off wild cougar with rocks and sticks for 45 minutes to save their friend's life: report

<1CYJN.86818$hN14.9917@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102654&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102654

Subject: Re: 5 cyclists fought off wild cougar with rocks and sticks for 45
minutes to save their friend's life: report
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech,soc.women,alt.survival,talk.politics.guns,seattle.politics
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 07:55:56 -0700
 by: a425couple - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 14:55 UTC

On 3/17/24 22:04, Josh Bolt wrote:
> A group of cyclists in their 50s and 60s battled with a cougar for 45
> minutes after the mountain cat launched at one of their friends and
> clamped down on her face during a team ride on a vast Washington state
> trail last month.
>
> The five cyclists recalled the harrowing struggle to pry the beast off

Tough cat.
Tougher ladies!

Re: 5 cyclists fought off wild cougar with rocks and sticks for 45 minutes to save their friend's life: report

<ut9uqp$9vkn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102655&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102655

From: am...@yellowjersey.org (AMuzi)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech,soc.women,alt.survival,talk.politics.guns,seattle.politics
minutes to save their friend's life: report
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 12:49:14 -0500
 by: AMuzi - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 17:49 UTC

On 3/18/2024 9:55 AM, a425couple wrote:
> On 3/17/24 22:04, Josh Bolt wrote:
>> A group of cyclists in their 50s and 60s battled with a
>> cougar for 45
>> minutes after the mountain cat launched at one of their
>> friends and
>> clamped down on her face during a team ride on a vast
>> Washington state
>> trail last month.
>>
>> The five cyclists recalled the harrowing struggle to pry
>> the beast off
>
> Tough cat.
> Tougher ladies!

I heard the original report on Seattle news last month but
didn't see any photos until today:

https://nypost.com/2024/03/17/us-news/washington-state-cyclists-describe-fighting-off-cougar-during-attack/
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org

Re: 5 cyclists fought off wild cougar with rocks and sticks for 45 minutes to save their friend's life: report

<87frwn8bu7.fsf@mothra.home>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102656&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102656

Followup: rec.bicycles.tech
From: shou...@comcast.net (Radey Shouman)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech,soc.women,alt.survival,talk.politics.guns,seattle.politics
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 17:33:04 -0400
sha1:U5s1iaTBmmGWnp/mZhJosu4TqIk=
 by: Radey Shouman - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 21:33 UTC

Sport, for sure.