Mediocrity finds safety in standardization. -- Frederick Crane

tech / rec.bicycles.tech / Re: 4 pot for Gravel?

SubjectAuthor
* 4 pot for Gravel?Roger Merriman
`* Re: 4 pot for Gravel?Zen Cycle
 +* Re: 4 pot for Gravel?Frank Krygowski
 |`- Re: 4 pot for Gravel?Zen Cycle
 `* Re: 4 pot for Gravel?Roger Merriman
  `- Re: 4 pot for Gravel?Zen Cycle

1
4 pot for Gravel?

<WrxMN.3846265$2zI9.452768@fx15.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102733&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102733

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: 4 pot for Gravel?
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 10:29:10 GMT
 by: Roger Merriman - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 10:29 UTC

https://off.road.cc/content/news/are-four-piston-brakes-finally-coming-to-gravel-14577

SRAM has a patent for 4 pot hydraulic’s which are getting more common on
MTB’s now. I’m really unconvinced it’s needed the Tiagra and SLX two pots
on my MTB and Gravel bike with Finned pads hold on well with regard to heat
fad and power in general.

Undoubtedly they would be more powerful but I’m not sure I can see the
benefits, and I’m a heavy MTBer at heart so I do push the gravel bikes
brakes fairly hard and I’ve been impressed with two pots.

Roger Merriman

Re: 4 pot for Gravel?

<utufpk$153in$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102737&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102737

From: funkmas...@hotmail.com (Zen Cycle)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: 4 pot for Gravel?
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 08:41:23 -0400
 by: Zen Cycle - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 12:41 UTC

On 3/26/2024 6:29 AM, Roger Merriman wrote:

> https://off.road.cc/content/news/are-four-piston-brakes-finally-coming-to-gravel-14577
>
> SRAM has a patent for 4 pot hydraulic’s which are getting more common on
> MTB’s now. I’m really unconvinced it’s needed the Tiagra and SLX two pots
> on my MTB and Gravel bike with Finned pads hold on well with regard to heat
> fad and power in general.
>
> Undoubtedly they would be more powerful but I’m not sure I can see the
> benefits, and I’m a heavy MTBer at heart so I do push the gravel bikes
> brakes fairly hard and I’ve been impressed with two pots.
>
> Roger Merriman

I'm pretty happy with the cable BB7s on my hardtail, so I think I'd
agree the incremental benefits aren't worth the exponential cost to the
average rider - much less so on a gravel bike.

--
Add xx to reply

Re: 4 pot for Gravel?

<utuols$1sla0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102739&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102739

From: frkry...@sbcglobal.net (Frank Krygowski)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 11:12:59 -0400
 by: Frank Krygowski - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 15:12 UTC

On 3/26/2024 8:41 AM, Zen Cycle wrote:
> On 3/26/2024 6:29 AM, Roger Merriman wrote:
>>
>> https://off.road.cc/content/news/are-four-piston-brakes-finally-coming-to-gravel-14577
>>
>> SRAM has a patent for 4 pot hydraulic’s which are getting more common on
>> MTB’s now. I’m really unconvinced it’s needed the Tiagra and SLX two pots
>> on my MTB and Gravel bike with Finned pads hold on well with regard to
>> heat
>> fad and power in general.
>>
>> Undoubtedly they would be more powerful but I’m not sure I can see the
>> benefits, and I’m a heavy MTBer at heart so I do push the gravel bikes
>> brakes fairly hard and I’ve been impressed with two pots.
>>
>> Roger Merriman
>
> I'm pretty happy with the cable BB7s on my hardtail, so I think I'd
> agree the incremental benefits aren't worth the exponential cost to the
> average rider - much less so on a gravel bike.

Wait! I thought a fundamental principle of bike marketing was that
anything "better" is mandatory! ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski

Re: 4 pot for Gravel?

<utuost$153im$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102740&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102740

From: funkmas...@hotmail.com (Zen Cycle)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 11:16:45 -0400
 by: Zen Cycle - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 15:16 UTC

On 3/26/2024 11:12 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 3/26/2024 8:41 AM, Zen Cycle wrote:
>> On 3/26/2024 6:29 AM, Roger Merriman wrote:
>>>
>>> https://off.road.cc/content/news/are-four-piston-brakes-finally-coming-to-gravel-14577
>>>
>>> SRAM has a patent for 4 pot hydraulic’s which are getting more common on
>>> MTB’s now. I’m really unconvinced it’s needed the Tiagra and SLX two
>>> pots
>>> on my MTB and Gravel bike with Finned pads hold on well with regard
>>> to heat
>>> fad and power in general.
>>>
>>> Undoubtedly they would be more powerful but I’m not sure I can see the
>>> benefits, and I’m a heavy MTBer at heart so I do push the gravel bikes
>>> brakes fairly hard and I’ve been impressed with two pots.
>>>
>>> Roger Merriman
>>
>> I'm pretty happy with the cable BB7s on my hardtail, so I think I'd
>> agree the incremental benefits aren't worth the exponential cost to
>> the average rider - much less so on a gravel bike.
>
> Wait! I thought a fundamental principle of bike marketing was that
> anything "better" is mandatory!   ;-)

That's true for marketing.

--
Add xx to reply

Re: 4 pot for Gravel?

<7bEMN.9800$Pq2.6156@fx06.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102741&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102741

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 18:09:07 GMT
 by: Roger Merriman - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 18:09 UTC

Zen Cycle <funkmaster@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/26/2024 6:29 AM, Roger Merriman wrote:
>>
>> https://off.road.cc/content/news/are-four-piston-brakes-finally-coming-to-gravel-14577
>>
>> SRAM has a patent for 4 pot hydraulic’s which are getting more common on
>> MTB’s now. I’m really unconvinced it’s needed the Tiagra and SLX two pots
>> on my MTB and Gravel bike with Finned pads hold on well with regard to heat
>> fad and power in general.
>>
>> Undoubtedly they would be more powerful but I’m not sure I can see the
>> benefits, and I’m a heavy MTBer at heart so I do push the gravel bikes
>> brakes fairly hard and I’ve been impressed with two pots.
>>
>> Roger Merriman
>
> I'm pretty happy with the cable BB7s on my hardtail, so I think I'd
> agree the incremental benefits aren't worth the exponential cost to the
> average rider - much less so on a gravel bike.

I found the cable disks to be better on flat bar bikes, admittedly quite a
few years ago vs Gravel bikes where I found they where sub par both in
power and with muck getting into the mechanism and trashing the callipers.

While I have found the jump to hydraulics a significant improvement, I’m
unconvinced by the argument for 4 pots, which admittedly is only a patent
ie like electric brakes and shimano may well never happen!

Realistically even at 95kg or thereabouts my MTB copes well with two pots,
which I brake much harder on the MTB than the gravel bike.

But you’d run into the limits of the bike’s geometry/suspension/tires etc
long before brakes, at least with the gravel bike.

Roger Merriman

Re: 4 pot for Gravel?

<utvf3h$153in$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=102742&group=rec.bicycles.tech#102742

From: funkmas...@hotmail.com (Zen Cycle)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 17:35:45 -0400
 by: Zen Cycle - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 21:35 UTC

On 3/26/2024 2:09 PM, Roger Merriman wrote:
> Zen Cycle <funkmaster@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On 3/26/2024 6:29 AM, Roger Merriman wrote:
>>>
>>> https://off.road.cc/content/news/are-four-piston-brakes-finally-coming-to-gravel-14577
>>>
>>> SRAM has a patent for 4 pot hydraulic’s which are getting more common on
>>> MTB’s now. I’m really unconvinced it’s needed the Tiagra and SLX two pots
>>> on my MTB and Gravel bike with Finned pads hold on well with regard to heat
>>> fad and power in general.
>>>
>>> Undoubtedly they would be more powerful but I’m not sure I can see the
>>> benefits, and I’m a heavy MTBer at heart so I do push the gravel bikes
>>> brakes fairly hard and I’ve been impressed with two pots.
>>>
>>> Roger Merriman
>>
>> I'm pretty happy with the cable BB7s on my hardtail, so I think I'd
>> agree the incremental benefits aren't worth the exponential cost to the
>> average rider - much less so on a gravel bike.
>>

> I found the cable disks to be better on flat bar bikes, admittedly quite a
> few years ago vs Gravel bikes where I found they where sub par both in
> power and with muck getting into the mechanism and trashing the callipers.
>
> While I have found the jump to hydraulics a significant improvement, I’m
> unconvinced by the argument for 4 pots, which admittedly is only a patent
> ie like electric brakes and shimano may well never happen!
>
> Realistically even at 95kg or thereabouts my MTB copes well with two pots,
> which I brake much harder on the MTB than the gravel bike.
>
> But you’d run into the limits of the bike’s geometry/suspension/tires etc
> long before brakes, at least with the gravel bike.

My thoughts exactly. I'm not sure a gravel bike is capable of the
extremes necessary to get the most out of that level of braking.

--
Add xx to reply