From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Subject: Re: Sorry, what?!
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 13:15:36 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 12:15 UTC

On 16/06/2023 06:36, RichA wrote:
> Read this passage. It's from an article on "phys.org."
>
> "Planetary scientists have already gathered and studied ice samples in depth from Saturn and Jupiter's moons Enceladus and Europa with microfluidic devices."
>
> So, when did this happen?
>
> https://phys.org/news/2023-06-microfluidics-space-extraterrestrial-life-signatures.html

The SDA or Surface Dust Analyser that flew on the probe past those moons
was equipped with a micro miniature TOF mass spec. They analysed ice
particles caught on the sensor surface for composition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_Dust_Analyser

Or in much more detail:

https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EPSC2014/EPSC2014-229.pdf

It is a very cunning design and out in space they already have a vacuum!
It doesn't produce coffee table book pretty pictures so its experimental
results are largely (totally?) ignored by the popular press.

--
Martin Brown

Re: Sorry, what?!

<u7h882$k8$1@nyheter.lysator.liu.se>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10285&group=sci.astro.amateur#10285

From: kem...@lysator.liu.se (Andreas Kempe)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 12:14:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andreas Kempe - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 12:14 UTC

Den 2023-06-16 skrev Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk>:
> On 16/06/2023 06:36, RichA wrote:
>> Read this passage. It's from an article on "phys.org."
>>
>> "Planetary scientists have already gathered and studied ice samples in depth from Saturn and Jupiter's moons Enceladus and Europa with microfluidic devices."
>>
>> So, when did this happen?
>>
>> https://phys.org/news/2023-06-microfluidics-space-extraterrestrial-life-signatures.html
>
> The SDA or Surface Dust Analyser that flew on the probe past those moons
> was equipped with a micro miniature TOF mass spec.

From what I understand reading Wikipedia, SUDA hasn't been used in
space yet and previous missions used other, but similar devices. The
Cassini CDA and Stardust CIDA are mentioned. According to NASA[0],
the Europa Clipper will be launched in 2024 carrying the SUDA.

>They analysed ice particles caught on the sensor surface for
>composition.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_Dust_Analyser
>
> Or in much more detail:
>
> https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EPSC2014/EPSC2014-229.pdf
>
> It is a very cunning design and out in space they already have a vacuum!
> It doesn't produce coffee table book pretty pictures so its experimental
> results are largely (totally?) ignored by the popular press.

Very interesting stuff! Thank you for a good read!

[0]: https://europa.nasa.gov/mission/about/