From: LDigh...@att.net (Larry Dighera)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.piloting
Subject: Rolls-Royce Developing [Hydrogen powered] Turbogenerator Tech For Hybrid-Electric Flight
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 06:36:53 -0700
 by: Larry Dighera - Fri, 24 Jun 2022 13:36 UTC

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/rolls-royce-developing-turbogenerator-tech-for-hybrid-electric-flight/

Rolls-Royce Developing Turbogenerator Tech For Hybrid-Electric Flight
By Kate O'Connor -Published:June 23, 20226

Image: Rolls-Royce
Rolls-Royce announced on Wednesday that it is in the process of developing
turbogenerator technology including a new small engine designed for
hybrid-electric flight applications. According to the company, the
turbogenerator will “recharge batteries after take-off or power propellers
directly, enabling aircraft to switch between power sources in flight.” It
will be scalable to serve a power range between 500 kW and 1200 kW and is
being designed to complement the Rolls-Royce Electrical propulsion
portfolio.

“Rolls-Royce will be the leading provider of all-electric and
hybrid-electric power and propulsion systems for Advanced Air Mobility and
will scale this technology over time to larger platforms,” said Rob Watson,
Rolls-Royce Electrical president. “As part of our strategy, we are looking
at offering the complete sustainable solution for our customers. This means
extending routes that electric flight can support through our turbogenerator
technology.”

Watson also noted that Rolls-Royce is planning to build out its existing
network to offer maintenance services for electrical systems. The
turbogenerator design process, along with work on system integration, is
taking place at Rolls-Royce locations in Germany, Norway and Hungary. The
German Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Action is providing some of
the funding for research and development.

https://www.rolls-royce.com/media/press-releases/2022/22-06-2022-rr-advances-hybrid-electric-flight-with-new-technology.aspx
https://www.rolls-royce.com/media/press-releases/2022/22-06-2022-rr-advances-hybrid-electric-flight-with-new-technology.aspx#$v=rolls-royce1152

, 22 JUNE 2022

Rolls-Royce advances hybrid-electric flight with new technology to lead the
way in Advanced Air Mobility

Rolls-Royce is officially announcing the development of turbogenerator
technology, which includes a new small engine designed for hybrid-electric
applications. The system will be an on-board power source with scalable
power offerings and will complement the Rolls-Royce Electrical propulsion
portfolio, enabling extended range on sustainable aviation fuels and later
as it comes available through hydrogen combustion.

Current battery technology means all-electric propulsion will enable eVTOL
and fixed wing commuter aircraft for short flights in and between cities and
island-hopping in locations like Norway and the Scottish Isles. By
developing turbogenerator technology, that will be scaled to serve a power
range between 500 kW and 1200 kW, we can open up new longer routes that our
electric battery powered aircraft can also support.

Rolls-Royce experts based in Germany, Norway and Hungary are developing the
turbogenerator design and working on its system integration and are focused
on ensuring smart power distribution during flight. The turbogenerator will
recharge batteries after take-off or power propellers directly, enabling
aircraft to switch between power sources in flight. The research and
development of this technology is being part funded by the German Ministry
for Economic Affairs and Climate Action.

Rob Watson, President – Rolls Royce Electrical, said: “Rolls-Royce will be
the leading provider of all-electric and hybrid-electric power and
propulsion systems for Advanced Air Mobility and will scale this technology
over time to larger platforms. I would like to thank the German Government
for their support. As part of our strategy, we are looking at offering the
complete sustainable solution for our customers. This means extending routes
that electric flight can support through our turbogenerator technology. This
will advance hybrid-electric flight and mean more passengers will be able to
travel further on low to net zero emissions aircraft.

“Rolls-Royce is also set to build on our existing network to offer
maintenance services for electrical systems. Furthermore, Rolls-Royce Power
Systems is able to offer mtu microgrid solutions to support fast-charging of
electric aircraft and deliver reliable, cost-effective, climate friendly and
sustainable power to vertiports.”

Last year, Rolls-Royce announced a pathway to net zero carbon emissions and
its electrical technology is one way in which the company is helping
decarbonise critical parts of the global economy. Rolls-Royce is committed
to ensuring its new products will be compatible with net zero operation by
2030 and all its products will be compatible with net zero by 2050.

Links to images and footage:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/rolls-royceplc/2Lc47E
vimeo.com/user/59211529/folder/11307409

VIDEO:
https://house-fastly-signed-eu-west-1-prod.brightcovecdn.com/media/v1/pmp4/static/clear/2468238088001/e4ae4fa2-043d-428e-b873-3031bb2155e7/99eb98fc-c77d-42e1-a9f6-e93bc5b8d7de/main.mp4?fastly_token=NjJiNjExYmRfZDRhMjg5ZDU1ZDJmNjUyZDRjNjRkZGVkYTU0ZWQyYjM0NWYzODc2MGFiNTMwYjE5YjYwYTVhZjdiYTA4YjgwYV8vL2hvdXNlLWZhc3RseS1zaWduZWQtZXUtd2VzdC0xLXByb2QuYnJpZ2h0Y292ZWNkbi5jb20vbWVkaWEvdjEvcG1wNC9zdGF0aWMvY2xlYXIvMjQ2ODIzODA4ODAwMS9lNGFlNGZhMi0wNDNkLTQyOGUtYjg3My0zMDMxYmIyMTU1ZTcvOTllYjk4ZmMtYzc3ZC00MmUxLWE5ZjYtZTkzYmM1YjhkN2RlL21haW4ubXA0
Shorter link: https://tinyurl.com/yc58mmfs

About Rolls-Royce Holdings plc
Rolls-Royce pioneers the power that matters to connect, power and protect
society. We have pledged to achieve net zero greenhouse gas emissions in our
operations by 2030. We joined the UN Race to Zero campaign in 2020, and have
committed to ensuring our new products will be compatible with net zero
operation by 2030, and all products will be compatible with net zero by
2050.

Re: Rolls-Royce Developing [Hydrogen powered] Turbogenerator Tech For Hybrid-Electric Flight

<hesgoi-edq5.ln1@gonzo.specsol.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=103&group=rec.aviation.piloting#103

From: jim...@gonzo.specsol.net (Jim Pennino)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.piloting
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 06:57:07 -0700
 by: Jim Pennino - Fri, 24 Jun 2022 13:57 UTC

Larry Dighera <LDighera@att.net> wrote:

> https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/rolls-royce-developing-turbogenerator-tech-for-hybrid-electric-flight/
>
> Rolls-Royce Developing Turbogenerator Tech For Hybrid-Electric Flight
> By Kate O'Connor -Published:June 23, 20226

More news from 18,000 years in the future?

Once is a typo, twice is a trend.