Before Xerox, five carbons were the maximum extension of anybody's ego.

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.

SubjectAuthor
* I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.Sylvia Else
+* Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.John Robertson
|+- Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.Lasse Langwadt Christensen
|+* Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.Sylvia Else
||+- Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.Clive Arthur
||+* Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.Clifford Heath
|||+* Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.Ricky
|||+* Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.Fred Bloggs
|||+- Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
|||`- Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.Cydrome Leader
||`* Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.Ricky
|| `- Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
|`- Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
+* Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.Phil Hobbs
|+* Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.Joe Gwinn
||`* Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
|| `- Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.John Walliker
|`* Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.Sylvia Else
| `* Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.Phil Hobbs
|  +- Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.Beeper
|  `- Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.Ricky
+- Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.legg
+* Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.Rocky
|`* Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.Ricky
| `- Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
+- Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.Fred Bloggs
+- Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
`* Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.Sylvia Else
 +- Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.Ricky
 `- Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.Martin Rid

Pages:12
Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.

<996f1ed9-a1a8-2757-2bed-e7f6cd21d958@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=103019&group=sci.electronics.design#103019

Subject: Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 21:53:19 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 01:53 UTC

Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 02-Aug-22 10:32 pm, Phil Hobbs wrote:
>> Sylvia Else wrote:
>>> So I opened it up.
>>>
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/4qb9x10tnczm3x8/remote.jpg?dl=0
>>>
>>> Seems fairly clear what the problem is.
>>>
>>> By why would the crystal fall off the board like that?
>>>
>>> Sylvia.
>>
>> Looks like it might have got whacked by the battery when you dropped
>> it on the floor.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Phil Hobbs
>>

> Probably not. The image is a bit misleading. When the board is in the
> case, the battery is constrained to be more central in its circuit board
> slot, and cannot touch the crystal.
>
> Sylvia.

If you say so. Per the picture, the metal shroud on the negative
terminal wraps around the wrong side, leaving only the spring to keep
the battery from hitting the crystal on impact.

However, assuming the crystal survived, the fix is pretty obvious. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.

<tccmau$1urmc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=103020&group=sci.electronics.design#103020

From: bee...@acme.com (Beeper)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 19:26:01 -0700
 by: Beeper - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 02:26 UTC

On 8/2/2022 6:53 PM, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> Sylvia Else wrote:

>>> Looks like it might have got whacked by the battery when you dropped
>>> it on the floor.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Phil Hobbs
>>>

>> Probably not. The image is a bit misleading. When the board is in the
>> case, the battery is constrained to be more central in its circuit
>> board slot, and cannot touch the crystal.
>>
>> Sylvia.
>
> If you say so.  Per the picture, the metal shroud on the negative
> terminal wraps around the wrong side, leaving only the spring to keep
> the battery from hitting the crystal on impact.

I suspect that the PCBA is housed in a plastic clam-shell case that may
very well have interior molded ribs designed to restrict movement of the
battery when the remote is fully assembled.

> However, assuming the crystal survived, the fix is pretty obvious. ;)
>
> Cheers
>
> Phil Hobbs
>

> --
> Dr Philip C D Hobbs
> Principal Consultant
> ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics
> Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics
> Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
>
> http://electrooptical.net
> http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.

<jku5k1Fm02hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=103022&group=sci.electronics.design#103022

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 12:42:19 +1000
 by: Sylvia Else - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 02:42 UTC

On 02-Aug-22 3:34 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> So I opened it up.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/4qb9x10tnczm3x8/remote.jpg?dl=0
>
> Seems fairly clear what the problem is.
>
> By why would the crystal fall off the board like that?
>
> Sylvia.

OK, I've soldered it back, and it works. It remains to be seen whether
my soldering is better than the original.

The most difficult aspect was getting it back into its enclosure, which
seemed to be designed for assembly in zero-g, by someone with five
hands, or something.

Sylvia.

Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.

<dae5390d-a9ec-4267-8e05-21b400f51ed3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=103024&group=sci.electronics.design#103024

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 20:04:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Ricky)
 by: Ricky - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 03:04 UTC

On Tuesday, August 2, 2022 at 9:53:29 PM UTC-4, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> Sylvia Else wrote:

> >> Looks like it might have got whacked by the battery when you dropped
> >> it on the floor.
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >>
> >> Phil Hobbs
> >>

> > Probably not. The image is a bit misleading. When the board is in the
> > case, the battery is constrained to be more central in its circuit board
> > slot, and cannot touch the crystal.
> >
> > Sylvia.
> If you say so. Per the picture, the metal shroud on the negative
> terminal wraps around the wrong side, leaving only the spring to keep
> the battery from hitting the crystal on impact.
You aren't looking at the case!

--

Rick C.

+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.

<54ce1700-18ef-4af5-a7c0-a2a37dea8801n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=103025&group=sci.electronics.design#103025

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 20:05:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: gnuarm.d...@gmail.com (Ricky)
 by: Ricky - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 03:05 UTC

On Tuesday, August 2, 2022 at 10:42:15 PM UTC-4, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 02-Aug-22 3:34 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> > So I opened it up.
> >
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/4qb9x10tnczm3x8/remote.jpg?dl=0
> >
> > Seems fairly clear what the problem is.
> >
> > By why would the crystal fall off the board like that?
> >
> > Sylvia.
> OK, I've soldered it back, and it works. It remains to be seen whether
> my soldering is better than the original.
>
> The most difficult aspect was getting it back into its enclosure, which
> seemed to be designed for assembly in zero-g, by someone with five
> hands, or something.

That's where they get the lowest labor rates.

--

Rick C.

++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.

<tce2f4$29s9d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=103053&group=sci.electronics.design#103053

From: martin_r...@verison.net (Martin Rid)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 10:58:42 -0400 (EDT)
 by: Martin Rid - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 14:58 UTC

Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> Wrote in message:r
> On 02-Aug-22 3:34 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:> So I opened it up.> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/4qb9x10tnczm3x8/remote.jpg?dl=0> > Seems fairly clear what the problem is.> > By why would the crystal fall off the board like that?> > Sylvia.OK, I've soldered it back, and it works. It remains to be seen whether my soldering is better than the original.The most difficult aspect was getting it back into its enclosure, which seemed to be designed for assembly in zero-g, by someone with five hands, or something.Sylvia.

It probably dislodged from thermal cycling. Common problem in the
auto industry.

Cheers
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----

Re: I wondered why my garage remote didn't work.

<tcel45$l5l$2@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=103092&group=sci.electronics.design#103092

From: prese...@MUNGEpanix.com (Cydrome Leader)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 20:17:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Cydrome Leader - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 20:17 UTC

Clifford Heath <no_spam@please.net> wrote:
> On 2/8/22 17:06, Sylvia Else wrote:

>>> This sort of item should also be secured to the PCB with glue.
>>> Easy to resolder if you have some lead-free solder (I assume).
>>> John :-#)#
>>
>> Glue wouldn't hurt.
>>
>> But if anything was going to fall off, I'd have thought it would be the
>> tactile switches.
>
> I've seen something like this. I think the crystal has the highest
> thermal mass (or lowest thermal resistance on its legs) of any SMD part
> on the board (the battery tabs are through-hole) and the solder reflow
> wasn't quite hot enough for long enough, so it got glued down by melted
> flux not melted solder, or the solder remained only sintered so it was weak.

Correct. This is a common problem with larger parts, like coin cell
holders etc. They need more time to heat up so you don't get a cold joint.

I had a digital clock made by a PCB assembler that I got for free at some
trade show. Something fell off and I told them about it at the next show I
ran into them at and they actually offered to RMA and repair it for me as
they were embarassed about it.