"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." -- Bert Lantz

tech / sci.astro.amateur / Re: Transit of Venus 2023

SubjectAuthor
* Transit of Venus 2023Gerald Kelleher
+- Re: Transit of Venus 2023Gerald Kelleher
`* Re: Transit of Venus 2023Gerald Kelleher
 `* Re: Transit of Venus 2023Chris L Peterson
  `* Re: Transit of Venus 2023Gerald Kelleher
   `* Re: Transit of Venus 2023Chris L Peterson
    `* Re: Transit of Venus 2023Gerald Kelleher
     `* Re: Transit of Venus 2023palsing
      `* Re: Transit of Venus 2023Gerald Kelleher
       +- Re: Transit of Venus 2023Gerald Kelleher
       `* Re: Transit of Venus 2023palsing
        `- Re: Transit of Venus 2023Gerald Kelleher

1
Transit of Venus 2023

<4080d6de-26d3-4041-9707-8304fda766c1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10308&group=sci.astro.amateur#10308

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 02:28:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Transit of Venus 2023
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (Gerald Kelleher)
 by: Gerald Kelleher - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 09:28 UTC

The etymology of 'transit' supports the description of Venus as it will be seen passing from left to right or from an evening to morning appearance in a number of weeks just as Mercury is currently transiting to a twilight appearance presently-

https://www.etymonline.com/word/transit

https://sol24.net/data/html/SOHO/C3/96H/VIDEO/

Observers the world over should be enjoying these spectacles more frequently as the faster-moving planets run smaller and faster circuits in front of and behind our parent star.

Just goes to show how much influence this newsgroup has by virtue that the separate resolution for direct/retrogrades along with the many, many distinguishing factors is already out in the open.

Re: Transit of Venus 2023

<5fb01378-c716-442a-876f-a52d8e9ed99fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10314&group=sci.astro.amateur#10314

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 02:05:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Transit of Venus 2023
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (Gerald Kelleher)
 by: Gerald Kelleher - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 09:05 UTC

As Venus begins its journey into the central Sun's glare and as it begins to overtake the Earth, its last appearance as a twilight appearance nears-

https://earthsky.org/upl/2023/06/2023-July-Mercury-Venus-Regulus.jpg

Within a few weeks, the observer shifts his observation in the opposite direction to a dawn appearance as Venus moves to the right of the Sun as it does every 18 months or so-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2uCtot1aDg

The observer acquires the perspective that their distance to the horizon as the central Sun is out of view, acts like a giant sunvisor to the left of the Sun as an evening appearance and to the right of the Sun as a morning appearance once they subtract the daily rotation component.

Instead of working against introducing this type of solar system observation and interpretation, a more systematic approach is required rather than the half-baked explanations that presently exist from those who are just coming to understand what is being done. As a Christian, nobody takes to themselves which does not belong to them so it is much easier to give credit to those who supply the satellite imaging and the ability to present a visual narrative through the internet than it does to dwell on any other deserved credit.

Re: Transit of Venus 2023

<e401c5c6-fdf6-40c9-bd45-2e76f050f8f7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10315&group=sci.astro.amateur#10315

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 06:17:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (Gerald Kelleher)
 by: Gerald Kelleher - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 13:17 UTC

On Thursday, July 6, 2023 at 5:35:00 AM UTC+1, RichA wrote:
> On Tuesday, 4 July 2023 at 05:28:20 UTC-4, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
> > The etymology of 'transit' supports the description of Venus as it will be seen passing from left to right or from an evening to morning appearance in a number of weeks just as Mercury is currently transiting to a twilight appearance presently-
> >
> > https://www.etymonline.com/word/transit
> >
> > https://sol24.net/data/html/SOHO/C3/96H/VIDEO/
> >
> > Observers the world over should be enjoying these spectacles more frequently as the faster-moving planets run smaller and faster circuits in front of and behind our parent star.
> >
> > Just goes to show how much influence this newsgroup has by virtue that the separate resolution for direct/retrogrades along with the many, many distinguishing factors is already out in the open.
> Transit of Venus
> Next date: Saturday, December 11, 2117

Venus will also be at the centre of retrograde motion which means its totally dark hemisphere faces the Earth as it transits or crosses over from left to right of the Sun or from an evening to morning appearance while overtaking the Earth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7U5VbasKr4

It is just as dramatic as any other transit and more so that the Earth's orbital motion accounts for the change in position of the stars thereby setting the Sun up as a central and stationary reference for the faster-moving Venus. As Venus moves faster than the Earth, it moves faster than the change in position of the stars from left to right and this would have shown up as retrograde motion to observers on the surface.

Is there anyone else who doesn't think Venus will not transit/transition towards the end of the month and into next months seen from a 21st century orbiting piece of equipment?

Re: Transit of Venus 2023

<6nmdail9r5csvf2vopc1qht79lsd3jlul1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10316&group=sci.astro.amateur#10316

From: clp...@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2023 09:18:24 -0600
 by: Chris L Peterson - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 15:18 UTC

On Thu, 6 Jul 2023 06:17:18 -0700 (PDT), Gerald Kelleher
<kelleher.gerald@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, July 6, 2023 at 5:35:00?AM UTC+1, RichA wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 4 July 2023 at 05:28:20 UTC-4, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
>> > The etymology of 'transit' supports the description of Venus as it will be seen passing from left to right or from an evening to morning appearance in a number of weeks just as Mercury is currently transiting to a twilight appearance presently-
>> >
>> > https://www.etymonline.com/word/transit
>> >
>> > https://sol24.net/data/html/SOHO/C3/96H/VIDEO/
>> >
>> > Observers the world over should be enjoying these spectacles more frequently as the faster-moving planets run smaller and faster circuits in front of and behind our parent star.
>> >
>> > Just goes to show how much influence this newsgroup has by virtue that the separate resolution for direct/retrogrades along with the many, many distinguishing factors is already out in the open.
>> Transit of Venus
>> Next date: Saturday, December 11, 2117
>
>Venus will also be at the centre of retrograde motion which means its totally dark hemisphere faces the Earth as it transits or crosses over from left to right of the Sun or from an evening to morning appearance while overtaking the Earth

Except during a transit, the dark hemisphere of Venus never fully
faces the Earth, and we always see some amount of illuminated body.
The next transit is in 2117.

Re: Transit of Venus 2023

<2bc154f0-bfce-4c9a-a588-d91b025cc4c8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10317&group=sci.astro.amateur#10317

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 09:11:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (Gerald Kelleher)
 by: Gerald Kelleher - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 16:11 UTC

On Thursday, July 6, 2023 at 4:18:29 PM UTC+1, Chris L Peterson wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jul 2023 06:17:18 -0700 (PDT), Gerald Kelleher
> <kellehe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Transit of Venus
> >> Next date: Saturday, December 11, 2117
> >
> >Venus will also be at the centre of retrograde motion which means its totally dark hemisphere faces the Earth as it transits or crosses over from left to right of the Sun or from an evening to morning appearance while overtaking the Earth
> Except during a transit, the dark hemisphere of Venus never fully
> faces the Earth, and we always see some amount of illuminated body.
> The next transit is in 2117.

The next transit of Venus for the enjoyment of astronomy as it was once practised but in a 21st setting is in a few weeks along with the only acceptable definition of a planet in terms of their wandering or direct/retrograde motions.

Transit
"mid-15c., "act or fact of passing across or through," from Latin transitus "a going over, passing over, passage," verbal noun from past participle of transire "cross over, go over, pass over, hasten over, pass away," from trans "across, beyond" (see trans-) + ire "to go" (from PIE root *ei- "to go"). Meaning "a transit of a planet across the sun"

The reference for the crossover is from an evening to morning appearance or from left to right of the central Sun in terms of orbital comparisons, in this case between the slower-moving Earth and the faster-moving Venus at the point of our closest orbits as that planet overtakes us-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2uCtot1aDg

The previous use of a transit or crossover is spectacular as ever but so is the new approach to the transit as it becomes a more drawn-out affair through time-lapse over days with an excellent demonstration that the Earth orbits the Sun using the change in position of the stars parallel to the orbital plane and central to setting up the Sun as a stationary reference for the motions of Venus and Mercury as they run smaller and faster circuits closer to our parent star at the heart of the solar system.

The next transit is July/August 2023.

Any other objections, weak or otherwise?.

Re: Transit of Venus 2023

<2trdaitos2dpnf95aadal5cput7bedeuit@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10318&group=sci.astro.amateur#10318

From: clp...@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2023 10:46:37 -0600
 by: Chris L Peterson - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 16:46 UTC

On Thu, 6 Jul 2023 09:11:05 -0700 (PDT), Gerald Kelleher
<kelleher.gerald@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, July 6, 2023 at 4:18:29?PM UTC+1, Chris L Peterson wrote:
>> On Thu, 6 Jul 2023 06:17:18 -0700 (PDT), Gerald Kelleher
>> <kellehe...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >Venus will also be at the centre of retrograde motion which means its totally dark hemisphere faces the Earth as it transits or crosses over from left to right of the Sun or from an evening to morning appearance while overtaking the Earth
>> Except during a transit, the dark hemisphere of Venus never fully
>> faces the Earth, and we always see some amount of illuminated body.
>> The next transit is in 2117.
>
>The next transit of Venus for the enjoyment of astronomy as it was once practised but in a 21st setting is in a few weeks along with the only acceptable definition of a planet in terms of their wandering or direct/retrograde motions.
>
>Transit
>"mid-15c., "act or fact of passing across or through," from Latin transitus "a going over, passing over, passage," verbal noun from past participle of transire "cross over, go over, pass over, hasten over, pass away," from trans "across, beyond" (see trans-) + ire "to go" (from PIE root *ei- "to go"). Meaning "a transit of a planet across the sun"

See: etymological fallacy.

Re: Transit of Venus 2023

<2ac4bd9b-0fd0-4330-865f-038ffa8ccecen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10319&group=sci.astro.amateur#10319

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 10:04:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (Gerald Kelleher)
 by: Gerald Kelleher - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 17:04 UTC

On Thursday, July 6, 2023 at 5:46:41 PM UTC+1, Chris L Peterson wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jul 2023 09:11:05 -0700 (PDT), Gerald Kelleher
> <kellehe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Thursday, July 6, 2023 at 4:18:29?PM UTC+1, Chris L Peterson wrote:

> >> Except during a transit, the dark hemisphere of Venus never fully
> >> faces the Earth, and we always see some amount of illuminated body.
> >> The next transit is in 2117.
> >
> >The next transit of Venus for the enjoyment of astronomy as it was once practised but in a 21st setting is in a few weeks along with the only acceptable definition of a planet in terms of their wandering or direct/retrograde motions.
> >
> >Transit
> >"mid-15c., "act or fact of passing across or through," from Latin transitus "a going over, passing over, passage," verbal noun from past participle of transire "cross over, go over, pass over, hasten over, pass away," from trans "across, beyond" (see trans-) + ire "to go" (from PIE root *ei- "to go"). Meaning "a transit of a planet across the sun"
> See: etymological fallacy.

As I said, weak objections are fine and often are a good means to determine the level of consideration of the contributor.

The partitioning of direct/retrograde motions are already out in the open along with new perspectives like a transit of Venus as it passes between the slower-moving Earth and the central Sun and also the centre of retrograde motions.

https://www.popastro.com/images/planetary/observations/Venus-July%202010-January%202012.jpg

The dark/light hemisphere proportions represent the orbital position of Venus to the Earth so the satellite time-lapse fills in the gap that was unavailable to people previously along with planetary size depending on whether Venus is closest or furthest from the Earth. This is why the attempt to define a planet by size was from the same weak objections that I see here so often.-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2uCtot1aDg

I deal with the issues at the level of Copernicus, Kepler and Galileo so I expect others to do likewise.

Venus will transit between the slower-moving Earth and the Sun in 3 weeks or so.

Re: Transit of Venus 2023

<62c5ebeb-c58c-4352-bf72-349f28a0cb5bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10320&group=sci.astro.amateur#10320

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 13:14:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: pnals...@gmail.com (palsing)
 by: palsing - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 20:14 UTC

On Thursday, July 6, 2023 at 10:04:18 AM UTC-7, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

> Venus will transit between the slower-moving Earth and the Sun in 3 weeks or so.

No, it will not. It won't even be particularly close, either. At inferior conjuction on August 13th Venus will pass about 7 degrees south of the Sun, which is about 14 times the diameter of the Sun in the sky. I will look something like this...

https://www.nakedeyeplanets.com/venus-crescent-by-imre-ferenczi-2022-01-07.jpg

.... and is clearly not *between* the slower-moving Earth and the Sun.

Re: Transit of Venus 2023

<981fe500-7de3-4797-be4e-25cdafa3464dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10321&group=sci.astro.amateur#10321

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 22:38:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (Gerald Kelleher)
 by: Gerald Kelleher - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 05:38 UTC

On Thursday, July 6, 2023 at 9:14:27 PM UTC+1, palsing wrote:
> On Thursday, July 6, 2023 at 10:04:18 AM UTC-7, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
>
> > Venus will transit between the slower-moving Earth and the Sun in 3 weeks or so.
> No, it will not. It won't even be particularly close, either. At inferior conjuction on August 13th Venus will pass about 7 degrees south of the Sun, which is about 14 times the diameter of the Sun in the sky. I will look something like this...
>
> https://www.nakedeyeplanets.com/venus-crescent-by-imre-ferenczi-2022-01-07.jpg
>
> ... and is clearly not *between* the slower-moving Earth and the Sun.

Earth and Venus are roughly the same size so a Sun/Venus size comparison can be discerned in much the same way-

https://i.insider.com/54b4134ceab8ea333fc9b879?width=1000&format=jpeg&auto=webp

The Sun's diameter is 865,000 miles so 865,000 + 432,500 (half diameter) X 14 = 12,542,500 million miles beneath the lower limb of the Sun.

If I had to explain further I would be losing but thanks for the objection anyway.

Venus overtakes the Earth at our closest mutual orbits with the Sun as a backdrop in 3 weeks or so much like it does every 18 months. It transitions or transits from an evening to morning appearance or from left to right of the Sun, therefore, affording the observer on the surface of a rotating planet the appreciation of how a planetary transit and a heliacal rising of a star share some of the same traits as a result of solar system structure and planetary motions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2uCtot1aDg

The upcoming event fulfils all the conditions of a planetary transit and is enjoyed as such.

Re: Transit of Venus 2023

<7fd9168e-ac74-498f-a2a9-ec40d0d66668n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10322&group=sci.astro.amateur#10322

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 23:10:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (Gerald Kelleher)
 by: Gerald Kelleher - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 06:10 UTC

* The Sun's diameter is 865,000 miles so 865,000 X 14 + 432,500 (half diameter) = 12,542,500 million miles beneath the lower limb of the Sun.

Of course, the partitioning of direct/retrograde motions is necessary to appreciate everything and that was accomplished here over a decade ago with the help of satellite imaging.

The combination of magnification enthusiasts and experimental theorists makes it an unpleasant affair, however, things will improve as more people enjoy the reasoning behind the conclusion even while present contributors to this newsgroup never could. I suppose it is an occasion to have a good look at yourselves but that is not my concern as already there are signs that the less considerate will botch the explanation and all the components involved.

I look forward to Venus entering the range of the C3 camera and what it represents with the hope that a new generation of people will appreciate it too.

https://sol24.net/data/html/SOHO/C3/96H/VIDEO/

Re: Transit of Venus 2023

<439b9081-a047-4125-a26a-d8f6091ed880n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10323&group=sci.astro.amateur#10323

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 10:53:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: pnals...@gmail.com (palsing)
 by: palsing - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 17:53 UTC

On Thursday, July 6, 2023 at 10:38:58 PM UTC-7, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
> On Thursday, July 6, 2023 at 9:14:27 PM UTC+1, palsing wrote:
> > On Thursday, July 6, 2023 at 10:04:18 AM UTC-7, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
> >
> > > Venus will transit between the slower-moving Earth and the Sun in 3 weeks or so.
> > No, it will not. It won't even be particularly close, either. At inferior conjuction on August 13th Venus will pass about 7 degrees south of the Sun, which is about 14 times the diameter of the Sun in the sky. I will look something like this...
> >
> > https://www.nakedeyeplanets.com/venus-crescent-by-imre-ferenczi-2022-01-07.jpg
> >
> > ... and is clearly not *between* the slower-moving Earth and the Sun.

> Earth and Venus are roughly the same size so a Sun/Venus size comparison can be discerned in much the same way-

I never said a thing about the relative sizes of Venus and the Sun. I said that the closest approach of Venus to the Sun at the time of the next inferior conjunction was about 14 APPARENT Sun diameters on the sky, or about 7 degrees of arc.

> The upcoming event fulfils all the conditions of a planetary transit and is enjoyed as such.

You are not using the word transit the same way in which it is used in astronomy...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astronomical_transit#Mutual_planetary_transits

"In astronomy, a transit (or astronomical transit) is a phenomenon when a celestial body passes directly between a larger body and the observer. As viewed from a particular vantage point, the transiting body appears to move across the face of the larger body, covering a small portion of it.".
Sure, it has other definitions in the dictionary but they are not applicable when speaking of a planet when placed directly between a superior planet and the Sun...

Re: Transit of Venus 2023

<4350df54-6485-4310-b8ee-91ad2d8ef4fcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10324&group=sci.astro.amateur#10324

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 12:00:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (Gerald Kelleher)
 by: Gerald Kelleher - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 19:00 UTC

There is nothing more satisfying than introducing humanity to a new perspective so this thread is not about arguing over whether passes between the slower-moving Earth and the central Sun in real-time, that happens anyway, it is what sets up the spectacle as so satisfying in 3 weeks time and every 18 months or so after that-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXQh1xFce7s&t=298s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcrBAuLBXag

There may be no redeeming qualities left in this newsgroup, after all, how many contributors here could inform the celebrities that the back-and-forth motions of Venus and Mercury behind and between the Earth and the Sun imitate the moons of Jupiter with a number of important additions.

Having spent a lifetime following the vandalism to the perspectives of the original Sun-centred astronomers in terms of direct/retrograde motions of the slower-moving planets seen from a faster-moving Earth, there is little hope that the same contributors could help promote the new perspective properly even when the SOHO satellite has a limited function into the future.