Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: cyclin...@yahoo.com (Tom Kunich)
Subject: Noisy Disks
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 23:24:19 GMT
 by: Tom Kunich - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 23:24 UTC

Watching the Sprinters "world Championships" yesterday one of the things that really showed up was the entire Peleton disk brakes squealing into every corner. Now it had been raing early in the race but it was dry near the endl. And as the peletom dove into a turn, you could hear the dis brakes complaining. These bikes are maintained by the best team mechanics so if they cannot stop this noise it can't be stoppped.

Re: Noisy Disks

<SIXVN.717761$NX2.566317@fx14.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=103397&group=rec.bicycles.tech#103397

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Noisy Disks
From: rog...@sarlet.com (Roger Merriman)
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 23:43:46 GMT
 by: Roger Merriman - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 23:43 UTC

Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Watching the Sprinters "world Championships" yesterday one of the things
> that really showed up was the entire Peleton disk brakes squealing into
> every corner. Now it had been raing early in the race but it was dry near
> the endl. And as the peletom dove into a turn, you could hear the dis
> brakes complaining. These bikes are maintained by the best team mechanics
> so if they cannot stop this noise it can't be stoppped.

Maybe the road was still damp? Though to be honest honking brakes is
generally stuff on the pad/disk ie need to be used, ie brake hard, which
seems unlikely in a pro road race.

Let alone the fact that teams seem to have a lot of bikes to set up and do
tend to use new parts frequently ie pads and disks like to bed in, and so
on.

So no doesn’t surprise me at all!

Do mine honk? Generally no as my use case is different ie kit that’s well
used and I brake hard fairly regularly.

Roger Merriman