C++ is the best example of second-system effect since OS/360.

tech / rec.photo.digital / Nikon backing a lame astronomical horse

SubjectAuthor
* Nikon backing a lame astronomical horseRichA
`* Re: Nikon backing a lame astronomical horseMountain Magpie
 `* Re: Nikon backing a lame astronomical horseRichA
  `* Re: Nikon backing a lame astronomical horseEric Stevens
   `- Re: Nikon backing a lame astronomical horseRichA

1
Nikon backing a lame astronomical horse

<6f9fbd50-4845-4500-8a9b-372ba12dd4e7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10364&group=rec.photo.digital#10364

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 01:09:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Nikon backing a lame astronomical horse
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 08:09 UTC

No point in going into why this is a scope for beginners, it just is. But I really hoped Nikon, looking for new revenue streams would have built their own kind of scope, they used to.

Re: Nikon backing a lame astronomical horse

<iqdq3jFi5q7U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10365&group=rec.photo.digital#10365

From: Leu...@blue.mountains.org (Mountain Magpie)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: Nikon backing a lame astronomical horse
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 08:40:21 -0000
 by: Mountain Magpie - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 08:40 UTC

On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 01:09:14 -0700 (PDT), RichA posted:-

> No point in going into why this is a scope for beginners, it just is.
> But I really hoped Nikon, looking for new revenue streams would have
> built their own kind of scope, they used to.

Link?

Re: Nikon backing a lame astronomical horse

<f52f0d82-d355-48f7-b864-d0d4613e5e0en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10379&group=rec.photo.digital#10379

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 22:10:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 05:10 UTC

On Wednesday, 15 September 2021 at 04:44:41 UTC-4, Mountain Magpie wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 01:09:14 -0700 (PDT), RichA posted:-
> > No point in going into why this is a scope for beginners, it just is.
> > But I really hoped Nikon, looking for new revenue streams would have
> > built their own kind of scope, they used to.
> Link?

https://petapixel.com/2021/09/14/unistellar-and-nikon-unveil-the-evscope-2-digital-telescope-camera/

Normal cheap Chinese 80mm triplet lens worth in a normal scope form about $900. In their scope, it's $4000.
They are releasing a 50mm aperture version for $1700.00. 50mm is about the same aperture as a regular telescope's FINDER scope, the little widefield scope on
the side of normal telescopes used to initially locate the object.
These are toys, basically. A grubby little sensor that produces "modest" output. This is really a toy. Or, good for astronomy "outreach" showing the public the sights, just no looking at them directly since
this is just an imaging scope. The only thing you could use it for maybe is a remote supernova or comet search, but I wouldn't count
on its drive-system being robust enough for that.

Re: Nikon backing a lame astronomical horse

<sbcakgd513thcb8es55vv00p011ajdg6c7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10409&group=rec.photo.digital#10409

From: eric.ste...@sum.co.nz (Eric Stevens)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 12:30:50 +1200
 by: Eric Stevens - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 00:30 UTC

On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 22:10:19 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Wednesday, 15 September 2021 at 04:44:41 UTC-4, Mountain Magpie wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 01:09:14 -0700 (PDT), RichA posted:-
>> > No point in going into why this is a scope for beginners, it just is.
>> > But I really hoped Nikon, looking for new revenue streams would have
>> > built their own kind of scope, they used to.
>> Link?
>
>https://petapixel.com/2021/09/14/unistellar-and-nikon-unveil-the-evscope-2-digital-telescope-camera/
>
>Normal cheap Chinese 80mm triplet lens worth in a normal scope form about $900. In their scope, it's $4000.
>They are releasing a 50mm aperture version for $1700.00. 50mm is about the same aperture as a regular telescope's FINDER scope, the little widefield scope on
>the side of normal telescopes used to initially locate the object.
>These are toys, basically. A grubby little sensor that produces "modest" output. This is really a toy. Or, good for astronomy "outreach" showing the public the sights, just no looking at them directly since
>this is just an imaging scope. The only thing you could use it for maybe is a remote supernova or comet search, but I wouldn't count
>on its drive-system being robust enough for that.

Having read the Petapixel article comments I have concluded that the
majority of the critics are judging the Unistellar by exactly the same
criteria that they would use for the conventional gear. Only a few
have recognized what it does differently and better than the other
gear on the market. I suspect that the Unistellar and others like it
will become a small but significant force to be reckoned with.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Re: Nikon backing a lame astronomical horse

<3f29cade-6436-4803-bac4-ced90c8e7ba4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10509&group=rec.photo.digital#10509

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 20:08:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 03:08 UTC

On Friday, 17 September 2021 at 20:30:56 UTC-4, Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 22:10:19 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rande...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >On Wednesday, 15 September 2021 at 04:44:41 UTC-4, Mountain Magpie wrote:
> >> On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 01:09:14 -0700 (PDT), RichA posted:-
> >> Link?
> >
> >https://petapixel.com/2021/09/14/unistellar-and-nikon-unveil-the-evscope-2-digital-telescope-camera/
> >
> >Normal cheap Chinese 80mm triplet lens worth in a normal scope form about $900. In their scope, it's $4000.
> >They are releasing a 50mm aperture version for $1700.00. 50mm is about the same aperture as a regular telescope's FINDER scope, the little widefield scope on
> >the side of normal telescopes used to initially locate the object.
> >These are toys, basically. A grubby little sensor that produces "modest" output. This is really a toy. Or, good for astronomy "outreach" showing the public the sights, just no looking at them directly since
> >this is just an imaging scope. The only thing you could use it for maybe is a remote supernova or comet search, but I wouldn't count
> >on its drive-system being robust enough for that.
> >
> Having read the Petapixel article comments I have concluded that the
> majority of the critics are judging the Unistellar by exactly the same
> criteria that they would use for the conventional gear. Only a few
> have recognized what it does differently and better than the other
> gear on the market. I suspect that the Unistellar and others like it
> will become a small but significant force to be reckoned with.
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric Stevens

Only if lazy mouth-breathers with money become a part of the market.
I can see a couple things that the $53,000 six inch version could do, like supernova searches, but only if the mechanism is very robust.