From: Ancient-...@Heaven.Net (Robin Goodfellow)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone,rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: IPhone owners should beware...
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 19:31:57 +0000
 by: Robin Goodfellow - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 19:31 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> asked
> Blue Lou <bluelou@duenorth.com> wrote:
>
>> IPhone owners should beware picking up bad vibrations from powerful
>> motorbikes, as they may damage camera systems, Apple has said.
>>
>> https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-58507764
>
> Off-topic hence spam to THIS newsgroup: comp.mobile.android. Flame,
> rant, or whine about Apple products over in an Apple newsgroup.

Vanguard is correct - crappy camera parts is not a known Android problem.
The crappy expensive but cheap camera parts are _only_ used on the iPhone
cameras (apparently, as far as anyone has reliably reported to date).

It's telling that the apologists have scoured the net in their desperate bid
to blame Android smartphone OEMs for the expensive cheap quality of iPhone
camera components.

Nobody yet has found anything but unreliable anecdotal evidence that Android
smartphone cameras are, in general, as cheaply made as expensive iPhone
cameras are.

What _is_ useful is the fact that there are zero known reports by Android
OEMs warning the users that simply using their smartphones on vehicles will
permanently damage the camera (which is what Apple had to do).

Apple had so many catastrophic failures that Apple itself issued the
bulletin warning people that the iPhone is too fragile for vehicles.
<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212803>

So at the moment, until/unless the desperate apologists finally find an
official statement from an Android OEM, this problem of expensive cheap
iPhone camera components being damaged by a bike ride is purely an Apple
issue (and not an Android issue, as Vanguard above also said).
--
Nobody in high tech spends LESS in R&D than Apple (nor more in Marketing).

Re: IPhone owners should beware...

<shtppf$og5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10377&group=rec.photo.digital#10377

From: notonyou...@no.no.no.no (Alan Baker)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 14:49:33 -0700
 by: Alan Baker - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 21:49 UTC

On 2021-09-15 12:31 p.m., Robin Goodfellow wrote:
> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> asked
>> Blue Lou <bluelou@duenorth.com> wrote:
>>
>>> IPhone owners should beware picking up bad vibrations from powerful
>>> motorbikes, as they may damage camera systems, Apple has said.
>>>
>>> https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-58507764
>>
>> Off-topic hence spam to THIS newsgroup: comp.mobile.android. Flame,
>> rant, or whine about Apple products over in an Apple newsgroup.
>
> Vanguard is correct - crappy camera parts is not a known Android problem.
> The crappy expensive but cheap camera parts are _only_ used on the iPhone
> cameras (apparently, as far as anyone has reliably reported to date).

And yet iPhones regularly rank among the very highest on DxOmark.

Currently, the Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max and iPhone 12 Pro rank 10th and
11th out of literally hundreds if not thousands of smartphones tested.

> It's telling that the apologists have scoured the net in their desperate bid
> to blame Android smartphone OEMs for the expensive cheap quality of iPhone
> camera components.
>
> Nobody yet has found anything but unreliable anecdotal evidence that Android
> smartphone cameras are, in general, as cheaply made as expensive iPhone
> cameras are.

Well there's the DxOMark scores.

> What _is_ useful is the fact that there are zero known reports by Android
> OEMs warning the users that simply using their smartphones on vehicles will
> permanently damage the camera (which is what Apple had to do).

Vehicles in general...

....or are you lying by omission of the fact that the warning is only for
high-powered, high-revving motorcycles?

> Apple had so many catastrophic failures that Apple itself issued the
> bulletin warning people that the iPhone is too fragile for vehicles.
> <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212803>

Indeed:

'High-power or high-volume motorcycle engines generate intense
high-amplitude vibrations, which are transmitted through the chassis and
handlebars. It is not recommended to attach your iPhone to motorcycles
with high-power or high-volume engines due to the amplitude of the
vibration in certain frequency ranges that they generate.'

> So at the moment, until/unless the desperate apologists finally find an
> official statement from an Android OEM, this problem of expensive cheap
> iPhone camera components being damaged by a bike ride is purely an Apple
> issue (and not an Android issue, as Vanguard above also said).

"Bike ride"...

....another lie by omission.

'Is the smartphone mount gonna break my phone?

We are asked this question every day. Because yes, many of you have seen
your Iphone or other smatphone unable to take a photo or a video due to
the breakage of the optical stabilizer of the camera.

Many tweets, messages on forums, or youtube videos on the subject.
Some of us have experienced this problem. Because yes, a smartphone
without photo / video is quite anoying.

The brands that are concerned by this problem have now put a warning
message on their websites. We won't quote the main ones but all the
brands offering this type of rigid mount have the same problem.'

<https://www.shapeheart.com/blogs/infos/support-moto-appareil-photo-stabilisateur-optique-on-vous-dit-tout-pour-eviter-la-casse?lang=en>

Not "all the brands".

'The problem isn't specific to iPhones. Samsung Galaxy users have
complained about similar issues with the camera when mounting the phone
to a bike over extended periods. Reddit users have reported the same
camera problems with Google's Pixel phones. '

<https://www.zdnet.com/article/apples-iphone-warning-your-camera-can-be-damaged-by-vibrations-from-motorcycle-engines/>

'For a personal anecdote - I researched the very topic before I started
using a phone on the handlebars and having been warned it is dangerous I
opted for a cheap second-hand Samsung Galaxy S5 (oldest/cheapest with
ANT+ and water resistance) instead of my expensive primary - the S5
lasted around 1 year of ~40 km daily riding before its camera stopped
focusing.

You've been warned.'

<https://www.reddit.com/r/cycling/comments/j1c26k/psa_do_not_ride_with_your_expensive_phone_on_the/>

'As Apple is keen to point out, this issue isn’t unique to the iPhone.
In the past, users of Samsung Galaxy and Google Pixel phones have
reported damage caused to their phones’ OIS systems by using handlebar
phone mounts for extended periods.'

<https://www.driving.co.uk/news/technology/apple-warns-iphone-cameras-damaged-motorbike-vibrations/>