From: ab_no...@net.com (AB)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Subject: Re: Argument for buying only the very best telescopes
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 04:35:11 -0400
 by: AB - Sun, 23 Jul 2023 08:35 UTC

On 7/23/23 1:52 AM, RichA wrote:
> A guy on Cloudynights did a report on his new Askar 6 inch scope. Based on his report and some images he posted (preliminary) it seems like an outstanding telescope. It's a six inch refractor with a quadruple lens system.
> It costs almost $6000 which puts it in the mid-high end of the refractor arena, the high end scopes like Takahashi, AP, TEC, CFF going for well over $10000 in the same size (though AP no longer makes six inch scopes).
> But what I found interesting is the need for the review to think they had to have a Feathertouch focus as a $1000 upgrade. Even though though the Feathertouch is expensive, you can spend $4000 on a fully-motorized focuser as well. The reason I found it interesting is the scope itself has a completely functional, robust focuser that comes with it, apparently not lacking, yet the buyer still feels a need to replace it. Is it needed, or are we just spoiled when it comes to focusers? Not long ago, a single speed unit was on all scopes, the best there was was TeleVue's in-terms of smoothness which is needed with high performance scopes that snap into focus. It seems like apart from the lens whose design and quality can always benefit the user by being better, much of the scope not lens-related is overkill today. AP's fully-machined tubes are an example. Overkill in a functional sense, but not aesthetic sense.

And when the worldwide economy soon collapses and a barter system is in
place, a luxury item like this will be the first to go... or stay
because how useful would it be under those circumstances? Let me know
if it works out trading that scope for food or clothing.

Better enjoy it while you can. $ will be worth nothing soon. Certain
countries could be taking steps to avoid it, but refuse to as they
continue to be driven by corruption, selfishness, and greed. Collapse
is imminent.

All items of digitization will be useless and inactive as there will be
no way to pay for these luxuries. Goodbye cell and smart phones,
internet, etc etc.

People worry about global warming adversely affecting climate, but the
collapse will solve it. When people are fighting for even one gallon of
gasoline, the planet will begin its recovery process. Yes, you'll have
to walk to the neighbor's house or the closest bartering facility. With
any luck, you'll live close enough to make walking a non-issue. Trading
for a horse might help for those greater distances, that is, if you can
keep the horse from being stolen.