History tends to exaggerate. -- Col. Green, "The Savage Curtain", stardate 5906.4

tech / sci.astro.amateur / Use of the term 'rocky planets'

SubjectAuthor
* Use of the term 'rocky planets'Gerald Kelleher
`* Re: Use of the term 'rocky planets'Chris L Peterson
 `- Re: Use of the term 'rocky planets'Gerald Kelleher

1
Use of the term 'rocky planets'

<9d9ce93d-8131-4ca4-acaf-a66890883fa6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10407&group=sci.astro.amateur#10407

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 21:52:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Use of the term 'rocky planets'
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (Gerald Kelleher)
 by: Gerald Kelleher - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 04:52 UTC

It is really unhelpful to use that term and especially applied to the Earth..

The Earth is basically a large rotating ball of liquid with a relatively thing fractured surface crust that responds to that rotation in terms of evolutionary geology.

There is perhaps a reason why liquid planets become more gaseous the further removed from the Sun although the planet Pluto yet the general tendency is from more compact liquid to gas giants.

The formation of molten liquid and planetary water may go hand in hand with solar system evolution-

https://webbtelescope.org/contents/media/images/2023/130/01H5MXEYH94ECTWRFDE1WP33ZW

I suppose I should complain that the childish attempt to exempt the Earth from differential rotation across latitudes which is a common denominator in planetary liquid and gas forms highlights the deficiencies observers are prepared to live with. It is a new era with imaging just too good to ignore.

Re: Use of the term 'rocky planets'

<7vs4citk1lsihhbthob3m26odhbqhb15a2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10411&group=sci.astro.amateur#10411

From: clp...@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Subject: Re: Use of the term 'rocky planets'
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 07:42:18 -0600
 by: Chris L Peterson - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 13:42 UTC

On Wed, 26 Jul 2023 21:52:30 -0700 (PDT), Gerald Kelleher
<kelleher.gerald@gmail.com> wrote:

>It is really unhelpful to use that term and especially applied to the Earth.
>
>The Earth is basically a large rotating ball of liquid with a relatively thing fractured surface crust that responds to that rotation in terms of evolutionary geology.
>
>There is perhaps a reason why liquid planets become more gaseous the further removed from the Sun although the planet Pluto yet the general tendency is from more compact liquid to gas giants.
>
>The formation of molten liquid and planetary water may go hand in hand with solar system evolution-
>
>https://webbtelescope.org/contents/media/images/2023/130/01H5MXEYH94ECTWRFDE1WP33ZW
>
>I suppose I should complain that the childish attempt to exempt the Earth from differential rotation across latitudes which is a common denominator in planetary liquid and gas forms highlights the deficiencies observers are prepared to live with. It is a new era with imaging just too good to ignore.

Only the outer core of the Earth is liquid. The large majority of the
Earth's interior is not.

"Rocky" refers to the materials, not the phase. Flowing lava is still
rock.

Re: Use of the term 'rocky planets'

<a550f42a-fe61-4a7b-baee-29485013be36n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10413&group=sci.astro.amateur#10413

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 08:57:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (Gerald Kelleher)
 by: Gerald Kelleher - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 15:57 UTC

On Thursday, July 27, 2023 at 3:42:30 PM UTC+2, Chris L Peterson wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jul 2023 21:52:30 -0700 (PDT), Gerald Kelleher
> <kellehe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >It is really unhelpful to use that term and especially applied to the Earth.
> >
> >The Earth is basically a large rotating ball of liquid with a relatively thing fractured surface crust that responds to that rotation in terms of evolutionary geology.
> >
> >There is perhaps a reason why liquid planets become more gaseous the further removed from the Sun although the planet Pluto yet the general tendency is from more compact liquid to gas giants.
> >
> >The formation of molten liquid and planetary water may go hand in hand with solar system evolution-
> >
> >https://webbtelescope.org/contents/media/images/2023/130/01H5MXEYH94ECTWRFDE1WP33ZW
> >
> >I suppose I should complain that the childish attempt to exempt the Earth from differential rotation across latitudes which is a common denominator in planetary liquid and gas forms highlights the deficiencies observers are prepared to live with. It is a new era with imaging just too good to ignore.
> >

> Only the outer core of the Earth is liquid. The large majority of the
> Earth's interior is not.
>
> "Rocky" refers to the materials, not the phase. Flowing lava is still
> rock.

Before there was even a mention of rotational influences in the Wikipedia section of plate tectonics, it was discussed, for want of a better word, in this newsgroup

https://groups.google.com/g/sci.astro.amateur/c/Srr3bU12QDg/m/BA-ud34LAwAJ

All of a sudden, within a year of that proposal in November 2005 and earlier, rotation emerged but much like the new explanation for the direct/retrogrades of Venus and Mercury, the explanations got botched by those who lack the necessary perceptive abilities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Plate_tectonics&oldid=27594978

You are happy enough to be cannon fodder for people who wouldn't even look at you much less talk with you so will spend the rest of your existence in that manner where you are already being overtaken by events. It is not an insult directed and you and others here of the same mindset, it is a way you have chosen for yourselves as things move on.

All rotating celestial objects with a viscous composition will display differential rotation across latitudes and this mechanism connects the development of oceanic crust off the Mid Atlantic Ridge with the spherical deviation of the Earth organised the Earth's rotational characteristics.

Of course, all the contributors here can't manage to assign the correct equatorial rotation velocity of the crust at 1037.5 mph consistent with an Equatorial circumference of 24,901 miles as per the 24-hour and Latitude/Longitude framework.