A Fortran compiler is the hobgoblin of little minis.

tech / sci.astro.amateur / Re: Misuse of the term 'rocky planet'

SubjectAuthor
* Misuse of the term 'rocky planet'Gerald Kelleher
+* Re: Misuse of the term 'rocky planet'Mike Collins
|`* Re: Misuse of the term 'rocky planet'Chris L Peterson
| `* Re: Misuse of the term 'rocky planet'Gerald Kelleher
|  `* Re: Misuse of the term 'rocky planet'Mike Collins
|   `- Re: Misuse of the term 'rocky planet'Gerald Kelleher
`- Re: Misuse of the term 'rocky planet'Quadibloc

1
Misuse of the term 'rocky planet'

<3e7f2f94-a69b-4582-898a-fdfac7d53b83n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10408&group=sci.astro.amateur#10408

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 21:55:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Misuse of the term 'rocky planet'
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (Gerald Kelleher)
 by: Gerald Kelleher - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 04:55 UTC

It is really unhelpful to use that term and especially applied to the Earth..

The Earth is basically a large rotating ball of liquid with a relatively thin fractured surface crust that responds to that rotation in terms of evolutionary geology.

There is perhaps a reason why liquid planets become more gaseous the further removed from the Sun although the planet Pluto is an exception yet the general tendency is from more compact liquid to gas giants.

The formation of molten liquid and planetary water may go hand in hand with solar system evolution and that story has yet to be written in a meaningful way.

https://webbtelescope.org/contents/media/images/2023/130/01H5MXEYH94ECTWRFDE1WP33ZW

I suppose I should complain that the childish attempt to exempt the Earth from differential rotation across latitudes which is a common denominator in planetary liquid and gas forms highlights the deficiencies observers are prepared to live with. It is a new era with imaging just too good to ignore.

Re: Misuse of the term 'rocky planet'

<c44f83e5-9b33-4b90-83cf-cb72ce158ecen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10409&group=sci.astro.amateur#10409

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 04:34:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Misuse of the term 'rocky planet'
From: acridini...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 11:34 UTC

On Thursday, 27 July 2023 at 05:55:29 UTC+1, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
> It is really unhelpful to use that term and especially applied to the Earth.
>
> The Earth is basically a large rotating ball of liquid with a relatively thin fractured surface crust that responds to that rotation in terms of evolutionary geology.
>
> There is perhaps a reason why liquid planets become more gaseous the further removed from the Sun although the planet Pluto is an exception yet the general tendency is from more compact liquid to gas giants.
>
> The formation of molten liquid and planetary water may go hand in hand with solar system evolution and that story has yet to be written in a meaningful way.
>
> https://webbtelescope.org/contents/media/images/2023/130/01H5MXEYH94ECTWRFDE1WP33ZW
>
> I suppose I should complain that the childish attempt to exempt the Earth from differential rotation across latitudes which is a common denominator in planetary liquid and gas forms highlights the deficiencies observers are prepared to live with. It is a new era with imaging just too good to ignore.

The Earth is a large rotating ball of liquid ROCK.

Re: Misuse of the term 'rocky planet'

<837d3a03-10cf-4020-8d28-bcb9d07eef88n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10410&group=sci.astro.amateur#10410

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 05:28:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: jsav...@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 12:28 UTC

On Wednesday, July 26, 2023 at 10:55:29 PM UTC-6, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
> the childish attempt to exempt the Earth from differential rotation across latitudes

It's true that the Sun, and Jupiter, for example, rotate at different speeds at
different latitudes.

The Earth's _surface_, of course, is solid. So it has a uniform rotational period,
as far as the visible and obvious rotational motion that it has.

But what about the Earth's interior?

Well, we know the mantle is liquid, and there are convection currents in it..
So why wouldn't the Earth behave like other rotating bodies that aren't
solid?

Well, for one thing, the mantle has the crust to interact with, and that may
influence its general rotational motion. For another, the Earth's molten rock
in the mantle is a lot more viscous than the gaseous atmospheres of the
gas giant planets. So if there was differential rotation, there wouldn't be
as much of it.

Instead of trying to draw firm conclusions from mere analogy, which is
unsound, scientists would acknowledge differential rotation to apply to the
Earth... after they have managed to directly observe it. I don't see how that's
unreasonable.

John Savard

Re: Misuse of the term 'rocky planet'

<d2t4cilrvn71bf4040mg8veio3j5rgkc56@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10412&group=sci.astro.amateur#10412

From: clp...@alumni.caltech.edu (Chris L Peterson)
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 07:42:59 -0600
 by: Chris L Peterson - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 13:42 UTC

On Thu, 27 Jul 2023 04:34:20 -0700 (PDT), Mike Collins
<acridiniumester@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, 27 July 2023 at 05:55:29 UTC+1, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
>> It is really unhelpful to use that term and especially applied to the Earth.
>>
>> The Earth is basically a large rotating ball of liquid with a relatively thin fractured surface crust that responds to that rotation in terms of evolutionary geology.
>>
>> There is perhaps a reason why liquid planets become more gaseous the further removed from the Sun although the planet Pluto is an exception yet the general tendency is from more compact liquid to gas giants.
>>
>> The formation of molten liquid and planetary water may go hand in hand with solar system evolution and that story has yet to be written in a meaningful way.
>>
>> https://webbtelescope.org/contents/media/images/2023/130/01H5MXEYH94ECTWRFDE1WP33ZW
>>
>> I suppose I should complain that the childish attempt to exempt the Earth from differential rotation across latitudes which is a common denominator in planetary liquid and gas forms highlights the deficiencies observers are prepared to live with. It is a new era with imaging just too good to ignore.
>
>The Earth is a large rotating ball of liquid ROCK.

Most of it isn't even liquid.

Re: Misuse of the term 'rocky planet'

<78b5d82c-cc2d-43a9-88d8-863812f6fc20n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10414&group=sci.astro.amateur#10414

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 09:11:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (Gerald Kelleher)
 by: Gerald Kelleher - Thu, 27 Jul 2023 16:11 UTC

There is no need to spoonfeed contributors here, after all, these are people who cannot equate cause and effect between one rotation every 24-hours with one sunrise/noon/sunset cycle and are proud that they can't at the most basic level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhVwZGOZPic

The large-scale motion of the fluid is an extension of what is seen coming from geological boundaries or volcanic activity. The uneven rotational gradient between the Equator and North/South Poles would create the spherical deviation making the contour of the surface crust the largest geological feature of the planet with a 26-mile spherical deviation.

I am not surprised that nothing happened after 2005 other than they threw the kitchen sink at rotation and plate tectonics without putting any of the components together and making the approach unusable. It amounted to something Copernicus once said about those who can't handle many premises needed to arrive at a reasonable conclusion-

"They are just like someone including in a picture hands, feet, head, and other limbs from different places, well painted indeed, but not modeled from the same
body, and not in the least matching each other, so that a monster would be produced from them rather than a man. Thus in the process of their demonstrations, which they call their system, they are found either to have missed out something essential or to have brought in something inappropriate and wholly irrelevant, which would not have happened to them if they had followed proper principles. For if the hypotheses which they assumed had not been fallacies, everything which
follows from them could be independently verified." De Revolutionibus, 1543, Copernicus

So, how many times have I seen creative and working principles vandalised because of the lack of perceptive and interpretative skills? not just in this topic but in many others. I have to do it this way because there is no other way.

Re: Misuse of the term 'rocky planet'

<aaa8ddaf-27a5-46d2-98f3-da68c1e11fccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10418&group=sci.astro.amateur#10418

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 02:16:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: acridini...@gmail.com (Mike Collins)
 by: Mike Collins - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 09:16 UTC

If you were capable of applying Robert Burns insight “O wad the pow’r the Giftie gie us to see oursel’s as others see us” you would realise that this:
They are just like someone including in a picture hands, feet, head, and other limbs from different places, well painted indeed, but not modeled from the same
body, and not in the least matching each other, so that a monster would be produced from them rather than a man. Thus in the process of their demonstrations, which they call their system, they are found either to have missed out something essential or to have brought in something inappropriate and wholly irrelevant, which would not have happened to them if they had followed proper principles. For if the hypotheses which they assumed had not been fallacies, everything which
follows from them could be independently verified." De Revolutionibus, 1543, Copernicus

Is a perfect description of yourself.

Re: Misuse of the term 'rocky planet'

<bafa64e4-9998-4567-ac69-03f108c5e598n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10419&group=sci.astro.amateur#10419

Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 11:25:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: kelleher...@gmail.com (Gerald Kelleher)
 by: Gerald Kelleher - Fri, 28 Jul 2023 18:25 UTC

On Friday, July 28, 2023 at 11:16:04 AM UTC+2, Mike Collins wrote:
> If you were capable of applying Robert Burns insight “O wad the pow’r the Giftie gie us to see oursel’s as others see us”

“Whare horn nor bane ne’er daur unsettle/ Your thick plantations.”

He is comparing a louse to aggressive colonizers who they attack defenseless countries but not the rich, something like this-

"In 500 years how the Anglo-Saxon race will have spread & exterminated whole nations; & in consequence how much the Human race, viewed as a unit, will have risen in rank." Charles Darwin