Excessive login or logout messages are a sure sign of senility.

tech / sci.electronics.repair / USB functionality.

SubjectAuthor
* USB functionality.peter
`* Re: USB functionality.Andrew Smallshaw
 `* Re: USB functionality.Roger Hayter
  +* Re (2): USB functionality.peter
  |+* Re: Re (2): USB functionality.Roger Hayter
  ||`* Re: Re (2): USB functionality.Dan Purgert
  || `* Re: Re (2): USB functionality.Roger Hayter
  ||  `* Re: Re (2): USB functionality.Dan Purgert
  ||   `* Re: Re (2): USB functionality.Andrew Smallshaw
  ||    `- Re: Re (2): USB functionality.Dan Purgert
  |`- Re: Re (2): USB functionality.Andrew Smallshaw
  `- Re: USB functionality.Carlos E.R.

1
USB functionality.

<usibe9$2ff1i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10468&group=sci.electronics.repair#10468

From: pet...@easthope.ca
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: USB functionality.
Date: 09 Mar 2024 10:57:13 -0700
 by: pet...@easthope.ca - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 17:57 UTC

Hi,

This photo,
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:USB-OTG_Setup_IMG_2342.JPG
suggests, to me at least, that the phone can be charged while the
keyboard, mouse and flash store are used. True?

If this earbud set is connected via a USB A to C adapter, can audio
output also be produced while power is connected?
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/285288167463

Thx, ... P.

Re: USB functionality.

<slrnuupmla.4v0.andrews@sdf.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10469&group=sci.electronics.repair#10469

From: andr...@sdf.org (Andrew Smallshaw)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: USB functionality.
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 21:54:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andrew Smallshaw - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 21:54 UTC

On 2024-03-09, peter@easthope.ca <peter@easthope.ca> wrote:

> This photo,
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:USB-OTG_Setup_IMG_2342.JPG
> suggests, to me at least, that the phone can be charged while the
> keyboard, mouse and flash store are used. True?

There are altogether too many unknowns here. Looking at the date
of the photo - 2015 - some phones of that era could support USB
OTG but were unable to supply power to connected peripherals,
meaning you would need a Y cable to supply that separately. Others
could do the job inclusive of power delivery, others couldn't work
in OTG mode at all. Generally you couldn't use OTG and charge
simultaneously, it's a role reversal that early USB wasn't designed
for.

Things are different with USB-C but of course that is much later.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.org

Re: USB functionality.

<2219572717.2fe80b82@uninhabited.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10470&group=sci.electronics.repair#10470

From: rog...@hayter.org (Roger Hayter)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: 9 Mar 2024 22:09:55 GMT
 by: Roger Hayter - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 22:09 UTC

On 9 Mar 2024 at 21:54:51 GMT, "Andrew Smallshaw" <andrews@sdf.org> wrote:

> On 2024-03-09, peter@easthope.ca <peter@easthope.ca> wrote:
>>
>> This photo,
>> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:USB-OTG_Setup_IMG_2342.JPG
>> suggests, to me at least, that the phone can be charged while the
>> keyboard, mouse and flash store are used. True?
>
> There are altogether too many unknowns here. Looking at the date
> of the photo - 2015 - some phones of that era could support USB
> OTG but were unable to supply power to connected peripherals,
> meaning you would need a Y cable to supply that separately. Others
> could do the job inclusive of power delivery, others couldn't work
> in OTG mode at all. Generally you couldn't use OTG and charge
> simultaneously, it's a role reversal that early USB wasn't designed
> for.
>
> Things are different with USB-C but of course that is much later.

But can even USB-C accept a signal input (keyboard and mouse for instance) and
unrelated signal output (audio for instance) on the same physical socket? I
ask only out of curiosity.

--
Roger Hayter

Re (2): USB functionality.

<uspvtb$cple$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10477&group=sci.electronics.repair#10477

Followup: sci.electronics.repair
From: pet...@easthope.ca
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re (2): USB functionality.
Date: 12 Mar 2024 09:29:31 -0700
 by: pet...@easthope.ca - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 16:29 UTC

In article <2219572717.2fe80b82@uninhabited.net>, Roger Hayter <roger@hayter.org> wrote:
> But can even USB-C accept a signal input (keyboard and mouse for
> instance) and unrelated signal output (audio for instance) on the
> same physical socket? I ask only out of curiosity.

The setup is rarely tried. Appears that nobody can reply.

A keyboard or mouse sends tiny amounts of data; a few bytes per
second. In principle the link should be able to fit that in without
significant drop-outs in audio output. WIth so many details involved,
a general answer is difficult. When all else fails, we can test and
see what happens. =8~)

Regards, ... P.

Re: Re (2): USB functionality.

<6449818651.785da3d8@uninhabited.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10478&group=sci.electronics.repair#10478

From: rog...@hayter.org (Roger Hayter)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: Re (2): USB functionality.
Date: 12 Mar 2024 17:28:18 GMT
 by: Roger Hayter - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 17:28 UTC

On 12 Mar 2024 at 16:29:31 GMT, "peter@easthope.ca" <peter@easthope.ca> wrote:

> In article <2219572717.2fe80b82@uninhabited.net>, Roger Hayter
> <roger@hayter.org> wrote:
>> But can even USB-C accept a signal input (keyboard and mouse for
>> instance) and unrelated signal output (audio for instance) on the
>> same physical socket? I ask only out of curiosity.
>
> The setup is rarely tried. Appears that nobody can reply.
>
> A keyboard or mouse sends tiny amounts of data; a few bytes per
> second. In principle the link should be able to fit that in without
> significant drop-outs in audio output. WIth so many details involved,
> a general answer is difficult. When all else fails, we can test and
> see what happens. =8~)
>
> Regards, ... P.

So you could use an overarching protocol which was bilateral (ethernet
anyone?) and send and separate messages both ways. What I was aksing was
whether within the USB protocol there was provision for using some pins in for
one electrical signal (bi or uni-directional) and other pins for another
electrical signal. Because that would be the only way to do it without special
software on at least one of the devices.

--
Roger Hayter

Re: Re (2): USB functionality.

<slrnuv1b48.807.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10479&group=sci.electronics.repair#10479

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 19:27:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 19:27 UTC

On 2024-03-12, Roger Hayter wrote:
> On 12 Mar 2024 at 16:29:31 GMT, "peter@easthope.ca" <peter@easthope.ca> wrote:
>
>> In article <2219572717.2fe80b82@uninhabited.net>, Roger Hayter
>> <roger@hayter.org> wrote:
>>> But can even USB-C accept a signal input (keyboard and mouse for
>>> instance) and unrelated signal output (audio for instance) on the
>>> same physical socket? I ask only out of curiosity.
>>
>> The setup is rarely tried. Appears that nobody can reply.
>>
>> A keyboard or mouse sends tiny amounts of data; a few bytes per
>> second. In principle the link should be able to fit that in without
>> significant drop-outs in audio output. WIth so many details involved,
>> a general answer is difficult. When all else fails, we can test and
>> see what happens. =8~)
>>
>> Regards, ... P.
>
> So you could use an overarching protocol which was bilateral (ethernet
> anyone?) and send and separate messages both ways. What I was aksing was
> whether within the USB protocol there was provision for using some pins in for
> one electrical signal (bi or uni-directional) and other pins for another
> electrical signal. Because that would be the only way to do it without special
> software on at least one of the devices.

There's only one set of pins (well, two sets if you count USB2 / USB3 --
but you can only use one set at a time).

USB2 -> D+/D- (Bi-directional / Half Duplex)
USB3 -> TX1+/TX1- and RX2+/RX2- (optionally Full Duplex, IIRC)

As I recall the "Tx" pair is "Host Transmit to Peripheral", and "Rx" is
"Host Receive from Peripheral", but it's been a while since I read up on
the USB3 / USB-C implementations.

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Re (2): USB functionality.

<7189229973.1478ea1b@uninhabited.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10480&group=sci.electronics.repair#10480

From: rog...@hayter.org (Roger Hayter)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: 12 Mar 2024 19:31:32 GMT
 by: Roger Hayter - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 19:31 UTC

On 12 Mar 2024 at 19:27:04 GMT, "Dan Purgert" <dan@djph.net> wrote:

> On 2024-03-12, Roger Hayter wrote:
>> On 12 Mar 2024 at 16:29:31 GMT, "peter@easthope.ca" <peter@easthope.ca> wrote:

>>> The setup is rarely tried. Appears that nobody can reply.
>>>
>>> A keyboard or mouse sends tiny amounts of data; a few bytes per
>>> second. In principle the link should be able to fit that in without
>>> significant drop-outs in audio output. WIth so many details involved,
>>> a general answer is difficult. When all else fails, we can test and
>>> see what happens. =8~)
>>>
>>> Regards, ... P.
>>
>> So you could use an overarching protocol which was bilateral (ethernet
>> anyone?) and send and separate messages both ways. What I was aksing was
>> whether within the USB protocol there was provision for using some pins in for
>> one electrical signal (bi or uni-directional) and other pins for another
>> electrical signal. Because that would be the only way to do it without special
>> software on at least one of the devices.
>>

> There's only one set of pins (well, two sets if you count USB2 / USB3 --
> but you can only use one set at a time).
>
> USB2 -> D+/D- (Bi-directional / Half Duplex)
> USB3 -> TX1+/TX1- and RX2+/RX2- (optionally Full Duplex, IIRC)
>
> As I recall the "Tx" pair is "Host Transmit to Peripheral", and "Rx" is
> "Host Receive from Peripheral", but it's been a while since I read up on
> the USB3 / USB-C implementations.

Usbc seems to have about 20 pins, that's why I asked.

--
Roger Hayter

Re: Re (2): USB functionality.

<slrnuv2sv2.807.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10481&group=sci.electronics.repair#10481

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 09:37:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 09:37 UTC

On 2024-03-12, Roger Hayter wrote:
> On 12 Mar 2024 at 19:27:04 GMT, "Dan Purgert" <dan@djph.net> wrote:
>> On 2024-03-12, Roger Hayter wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> So you could use an overarching protocol which was bilateral (ethernet
>>> anyone?) and send and separate messages both ways. What I was
>>> aksing was whether within the USB protocol there was provision for
>>> using some pins in for one electrical signal (bi or uni-directional)
>>> and other pins for another electrical signal. Because that would be
>>> the only way to do it without special software on at least one of
>>> the devices.
>>>

>> There's only one set of pins (well, two sets if you count USB2 / USB3 --
>> but you can only use one set at a time).
>>
>> USB2 -> D+/D- (Bi-directional / Half Duplex)
>> USB3 -> TX1+/TX1- and RX2+/RX2- (optionally Full Duplex, IIRC)
>>
>> As I recall the "Tx" pair is "Host Transmit to Peripheral", and "Rx" is
>> "Host Receive from Peripheral", but it's been a while since I read up on
>> the USB3 / USB-C implementations.
>
> Usbc seems to have about 20 pins, that's why I asked.

Yeah, that's just to allow the connector to be flipped over, and still
connect to the host / peripheral. The host/peripheral ports themselves
only have one orientation.

--
|_|O|_|

Re: USB functionality.

<kbn8ckxj8n.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10482&group=sci.electronics.repair#10482

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 14:47:00 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 13:47 UTC

On 2024-03-09 23:09, Roger Hayter wrote:
> On 9 Mar 2024 at 21:54:51 GMT, "Andrew Smallshaw" <andrews@sdf.org> wrote:
>
>> On 2024-03-09, peter@easthope.ca <peter@easthope.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>> This photo,
>>> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:USB-OTG_Setup_IMG_2342.JPG
>>> suggests, to me at least, that the phone can be charged while the
>>> keyboard, mouse and flash store are used. True?
>>
>> There are altogether too many unknowns here. Looking at the date
>> of the photo - 2015 - some phones of that era could support USB
>> OTG but were unable to supply power to connected peripherals,
>> meaning you would need a Y cable to supply that separately. Others
>> could do the job inclusive of power delivery, others couldn't work
>> in OTG mode at all. Generally you couldn't use OTG and charge
>> simultaneously, it's a role reversal that early USB wasn't designed
>> for.
>>
>> Things are different with USB-C but of course that is much later.
>
> But can even USB-C accept a signal input (keyboard and mouse for instance) and
> unrelated signal output (audio for instance) on the same physical socket? I
> ask only out of curiosity.

Certainly.

That's normal USB functionality. It is a bus. You need a hub, though, in
order to split the cables, one for each device.

The only problem is which device supplies the power and in what direction.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Re (2): USB functionality.

<slrnuvjjvg.612.andrews@sdf.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10526&group=sci.electronics.repair#10526

From: andr...@sdf.org (Andrew Smallshaw)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 17:48:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andrew Smallshaw - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 17:48 UTC

On 2024-03-12, peter@easthope.ca <peter@easthope.ca> wrote:
> In article <2219572717.2fe80b82@uninhabited.net>, Roger Hayter <roger@hayter.org> wrote:
>> But can even USB-C accept a signal input (keyboard and mouse for
>> instance) and unrelated signal output (audio for instance) on the
>> same physical socket? I ask only out of curiosity.
>
> The setup is rarely tried. Appears that nobody can reply.
>
> A keyboard or mouse sends tiny amounts of data; a few bytes per
> second. In principle the link should be able to fit that in without
> significant drop-outs in audio output. WIth so many details involved,
> a general answer is difficult. When all else fails, we can test and
> see what happens. =8~)

It'll be fine, I use my laptop all day everyday, USB headset for
phone, USB network adapter on the same host port for connectivity
(including the phone). Works fine. USB was designed for that from
the outset. The retro-fit is splitting power delivery from the
host vs device relationship. The early versions of USB always
contrived that the host provided the power, USB-C allows you to
reverse that relationship so you can have e.g. a phone or laptop
on charge via USB while still controlling connected peripherals.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.org

Re: Re (2): USB functionality.

<slrnuvjkjn.612.andrews@sdf.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10527&group=sci.electronics.repair#10527

From: andr...@sdf.org (Andrew Smallshaw)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 17:59:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Andrew Smallshaw - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 17:59 UTC

On 2024-03-13, Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:
> On 2024-03-12, Roger Hayter wrote:
>> On 12 Mar 2024 at 19:27:04 GMT, "Dan Purgert" <dan@djph.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> There's only one set of pins (well, two sets if you count USB2 / USB3 --
>>> but you can only use one set at a time).
>>>
>>> USB2 -> D+/D- (Bi-directional / Half Duplex)
>>> USB3 -> TX1+/TX1- and RX2+/RX2- (optionally Full Duplex, IIRC)
>>>
>>> As I recall the "Tx" pair is "Host Transmit to Peripheral", and "Rx" is
>>> "Host Receive from Peripheral", but it's been a while since I read up on
>>> the USB3 / USB-C implementations.
>>
>> Usbc seems to have about 20 pins, that's why I asked.
>
> Yeah, that's just to allow the connector to be flipped over, and still
> connect to the host / peripheral. The host/peripheral ports themselves
> only have one orientation.

USB-C supports SuperSpeed which uses two additional pairs on top
of USB2 and also allows for full-duplex. That is what the additional
contacts on a USB3 A plug are for.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.org

Re: Re (2): USB functionality.

<slrnuvk1f0.807.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10528&group=sci.electronics.repair#10528

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 21:38:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 21:38 UTC

On 2024-03-19, Andrew Smallshaw wrote:
> On 2024-03-13, Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:

>>> Usbc seems to have about 20 pins, that's why I asked.
>>
>> Yeah, that's just to allow the connector to be flipped over, and still
>> connect to the host / peripheral. The host/peripheral ports themselves
>> only have one orientation.
>
> USB-C supports SuperSpeed which uses two additional pairs on top
> of USB2 and also allows for full-duplex. That is what the additional
> contacts on a USB3 A plug are for.

Except what Roger is talking about is the "spare(tm)" contacts in a
USB-C cable :

GND TX1+/- VBUS CC1 D+/- SUB1 VBUS RX2-/+ GND <-- Used

GND RX1+/- VBUS SUB2 D-/+ CC2 VBUS TX2-/+ GND <-- "spare(tm)"

And that's assuming all the wires are actually *in* the cable, and the
manufacturer didn't just cheap out and common things "vertically" (e.g.
TX2+ is common to RX2+, like in "Amazon Basics" cables).