From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Death by Nebula
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 11:12:19 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 10:12 UTC

On 28/08/2022 08:11, Anthony William Sloman wrote:
> On Sunday, August 28, 2022 at 2:24:41 PM UTC+10, Skybuck Flying
> wrote:
>> Death by Nebula explained:
>
> As "explanations" go, this is right down to Skyubucks usual
> standard.

He's a clueless idiot and like "A A" ideal kill file material.

> A nebula may be a "giant cloud of dust and gas in space" but the
> chances the the dust would make it through the earth's atmosphere and
> provide extra condensation nuclei to affect cloud formation and
> rainfall aren't great, even if there was enough of it to make a
> difference even before it got turned into very small meteors.

Actually micrometeorites represent a non-trivial amount of stuff falling
to Earth mostly iron dust in the form of magnetite which can be isolated
from the gunge that accumulates in gutters by use of a Nd magnet.

https://www.iflscience.com/how-hunt-micrometeorites-26458#

The above URL recommends dragging it along the ground but the sludge in
gutters has already pre concentrated it for you and it is hard not to
find some in the dense black sediment that collects.

> Our planetary system has been bashing lots of little orbiting
> asteroids into dust for the past few billion years, so a nebula
> wouldn't make much difference.

There are no nebulas anywhere near close to us. You would see them in
the night sky if there were.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-name-of-the-closest-nebula-to-Earth-When-and-how-was-it-discovered

The nearest we ever come is occasionally passing through a comet's tail
as happened with Halley's in 1910 causing near apocalyptic panic in some
quarters:

https://astronomy.stackexchange.com/questions/39723/what-comets-tail-did-earth-pass-through-before-halleys

Or for a slightly different take on it:

https://www.wired.com/2015/01/fantastically-wrong-halleys-comet/