You see but you do not observe. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, in "The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes"

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Pakistan floods: One third of country is under water - minister

SubjectAuthor
* Pakistan floods: One third of country is under water - ministerFred Bloggs
`* Re: Pakistan floods: One third of country is under water - ministerPhil Hobbs
 +* Re: Pakistan floods: One third of country is under water - ministerFred Bloggs
 |+* Re: Pakistan floods: One third of country is under water - ministerPhil Hobbs
 ||+- Re: Pakistan floods: One third of country is under water - ministerFred Bloggs
 ||`- Re: Pakistan floods: One third of country is under water - ministerFred Bloggs
 |`* Re: Pakistan floods: One third of country is under water - ministera a
 | `* Re: Pakistan floods: One third of country is under water - ministerFred Bloggs
 |  `- Re: Pakistan floods: One third of country is under water - ministera a
 `- Re: Pakistan floods: One third of country is under water - ministerFred Bloggs

1
Pakistan floods: One third of country is under water - minister

<992422ca-1834-454f-a75d-140d83a763can@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=104809&group=sci.electronics.design#104809

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 11:34:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Pakistan floods: One third of country is under water - minister
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 18:34 UTC

"There is also growing concern about the looming cost of building back from this disaster, and Pakistan's government has appealed for financial help from aid agencies, friendly countries and international donors.

"A very early, preliminary estimate is that it is big, it is higher than $10bn (£8.5bn)," Planning Minister Ahsan Iqbal told Reuters.

Almost half of the country's cotton crop has been washed away and vegetable, fruit, and rice fields have sustained significant damage, he added."

Cotton and products made from it are a huge source of export income for them. The food crops and staples took a huge hit too- more export income loss and worse, the ability to feed themselves. Then there is a big problem with access to potable water and proper disposal of sewage. Any number diseases can emerge, they already have endemic polio, mainly transmitted through fecal contamination. The damage is much more far reaching than the immediate visual of flooding.

But I guess this just happened as a chance weather event.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62712301

Re: Pakistan floods: One third of country is under water - minister

<0b90f51a-0f71-d5c5-1acd-2814b5c1980d@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=104812&group=sci.electronics.design#104812

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 14:58:49 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 18:58 UTC

Fred Bloggs wrote:
> "There is also growing concern about the looming cost of building back from this disaster, and Pakistan's government has appealed for financial help from aid agencies, friendly countries and international donors.
>
> "A very early, preliminary estimate is that it is big, it is higher than $10bn (£8.5bn)," Planning Minister Ahsan Iqbal told Reuters.
>
> Almost half of the country's cotton crop has been washed away and vegetable, fruit, and rice fields have sustained significant damage, he added."
>
> Cotton and products made from it are a huge source of export income for them. The food crops and staples took a huge hit too- more export income loss and worse, the ability to feed themselves. Then there is a big problem with access to potable water and proper disposal of sewage. Any number diseases can emerge, they already have endemic polio, mainly transmitted through fecal contamination. The damage is much more far reaching than the immediate visual of flooding.
>
> But I guess this just happened as a chance weather event.
>
> https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62712301

A large proportion of the Texas cotton crop has failed due to drought.
Don't throw away your old blue jeans, guys. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: Pakistan floods: One third of country is under water - minister

<78dece0c-0e59-4243-a039-f7356e36dce8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=104828&group=sci.electronics.design#104828

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 14:43:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 21:43 UTC

On Monday, August 29, 2022 at 2:59:01 PM UTC-4, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> Fred Bloggs wrote:
> > "There is also growing concern about the looming cost of building back from this disaster, and Pakistan's government has appealed for financial help from aid agencies, friendly countries and international donors.
> >
> > "A very early, preliminary estimate is that it is big, it is higher than $10bn (£8.5bn)," Planning Minister Ahsan Iqbal told Reuters.
> >
> > Almost half of the country's cotton crop has been washed away and vegetable, fruit, and rice fields have sustained significant damage, he added."
> >
> > Cotton and products made from it are a huge source of export income for them. The food crops and staples took a huge hit too- more export income loss and worse, the ability to feed themselves. Then there is a big problem with access to potable water and proper disposal of sewage. Any number diseases can emerge, they already have endemic polio, mainly transmitted through fecal contamination. The damage is much more far reaching than the immediate visual of flooding.
> >
> > But I guess this just happened as a chance weather event.
> >
> > https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62712301
> >
> A large proportion of the Texas cotton crop has failed due to drought.
> Don't throw away your old blue jeans, guys. ;)

The statistic is 2,000 gallons of water to produce a single pair of jeans. Levi has a "waterless" jean- not sure how they pulled that off. The apparel industry has been hitting sustainability and recyclability very hard. The recycling is polyester- haven't seen recycled cotton or any other organic. If you want apparel that "breathes" in the heat, polyester is the best. Sweating turns cotton into a wet blanket, polyester lets it evaporate off the exterior surface.
https://bettercotton.org/

U.S. puts a 40% duty on "out of factory" cost for Chinese polyester goods, they only levy a 25% duty on their cotton products.

> Cheers
>
> Phil Hobbs
>
> --
> Dr Philip C D Hobbs
> Principal Consultant
> ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics
> Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics
> Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
>
> http://electrooptical.net
> http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: Pakistan floods: One third of country is under water - minister

<9b0aa802-6d0e-400d-af84-c6cf21102f37n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=104830&group=sci.electronics.design#104830

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 15:02:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 22:02 UTC

On Monday, August 29, 2022 at 2:59:01 PM UTC-4, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> Fred Bloggs wrote:
> > "There is also growing concern about the looming cost of building back from this disaster, and Pakistan's government has appealed for financial help from aid agencies, friendly countries and international donors.
> >
> > "A very early, preliminary estimate is that it is big, it is higher than $10bn (£8.5bn)," Planning Minister Ahsan Iqbal told Reuters.
> >
> > Almost half of the country's cotton crop has been washed away and vegetable, fruit, and rice fields have sustained significant damage, he added."
> >
> > Cotton and products made from it are a huge source of export income for them. The food crops and staples took a huge hit too- more export income loss and worse, the ability to feed themselves. Then there is a big problem with access to potable water and proper disposal of sewage. Any number diseases can emerge, they already have endemic polio, mainly transmitted through fecal contamination. The damage is much more far reaching than the immediate visual of flooding.
> >
> > But I guess this just happened as a chance weather event.
> >
> > https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62712301
> >
> A large proportion of the Texas cotton crop has failed due to drought.
> Don't throw away your old blue jeans, guys. ;)
>
> Cheers
>
> Phil Hobbs
>
> --
> Dr Philip C D Hobbs
> Principal Consultant
> ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics
> Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics
> Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
>
> http://electrooptical.net
> http://hobbs-eo.com

Ooops- they got me with that "waterless"- it's actually "water<less," and it's the finishing process. It's a start anyway.
https://www.levi.com/US/en_US/blog/article/how-we-make-jeans-with-less-water

Re: Pakistan floods: One third of country is under water - minister

<90e94aad-658f-b0ba-50b8-f04e74c6c7e8@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=104845&group=sci.electronics.design#104845

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 22:23:00 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 02:23 UTC

Fred Bloggs wrote:
> On Monday, August 29, 2022 at 2:59:01 PM UTC-4, Phil Hobbs wrote:
>> Fred Bloggs wrote:
>>> "There is also growing concern about the looming cost of building back from this disaster, and Pakistan's government has appealed for financial help from aid agencies, friendly countries and international donors.
>>>
>>> "A very early, preliminary estimate is that it is big, it is higher than $10bn (£8.5bn)," Planning Minister Ahsan Iqbal told Reuters.
>>>
>>> Almost half of the country's cotton crop has been washed away and vegetable, fruit, and rice fields have sustained significant damage, he added."
>>>
>>> Cotton and products made from it are a huge source of export income for them. The food crops and staples took a huge hit too- more export income loss and worse, the ability to feed themselves. Then there is a big problem with access to potable water and proper disposal of sewage. Any number diseases can emerge, they already have endemic polio, mainly transmitted through fecal contamination. The damage is much more far reaching than the immediate visual of flooding.
>>>
>>> But I guess this just happened as a chance weather event.
>>>
>>> https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62712301
>>>
>> A large proportion of the Texas cotton crop has failed due to drought.
>> Don't throw away your old blue jeans, guys. ;)
>
> The statistic is 2,000 gallons of water to produce a single pair of jeans.

Hmm, seriously misleading.

The first thing is that rain falls where it likes, regardless of what we
plant there. It's not like the crop somehow greedily sucks up all the
water and hoards it like a miser to prevent it from refilling the
aquifers and reservoirs and rivers or reconstituting baby formula or
such. (Moughahahaha)

As St Matthew says, God "causes the sun to rise on the evil and the
good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous." So if there
were no crop, the rain would still fall.

The annual rainfall in cotton-producing places such as Texas or Egypt or
Bangladesh is between 20 and 60 inches per year, give or take, i.e. 1.7
to 5 acre-feet or 500,000 to 1,600,000 gallons per acre. The yield per
acre is roughly 500 to 1500 lbs of cotton lint, plus considerably more
in oil seed, which is mostly used for animal feed.

So your number of 2000 gallons of water per pound is generally within a
factor of 4 or so.

However, that counts **all the rain that falls on the field in a year**,
whether inside or outside the growing season. That's a really stupid
basis for comparison with the amount of water required to wash and dye
the cotton. _That_ water has to be collected into pipes and pumped
around, whereas almost all the rain water sinks in or runs off
regardless of whether the crop is there or not, doing useless things
such as feeding rivers and replenishing aquifers. ;)

If you feel like doing hydoponic or drip-irrigated cotton, you could
maybe expand into dryer climes, but the amount of energy expended will
be astronomical by comparison with normal dry-field or
normally-irrigated agriculture.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: Pakistan floods: One third of country is under water - minister

<5c26c031-ce55-4cfa-959d-42214066d9e6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=104865&group=sci.electronics.design#104865

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 06:38:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 13:38 UTC

On Monday, August 29, 2022 at 10:23:15 PM UTC-4, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> Fred Bloggs wrote:

> >> A large proportion of the Texas cotton crop has failed due to drought.
> >> Don't throw away your old blue jeans, guys. ;)
> >
> > The statistic is 2,000 gallons of water to produce a single pair of jeans.
> Hmm, seriously misleading.
>
> The first thing is that rain falls where it likes, regardless of what we
> plant there. It's not like the crop somehow greedily sucks up all the
> water and hoards it like a miser to prevent it from refilling the
> aquifers and reservoirs and rivers or reconstituting baby formula or
> such. (Moughahahaha)
>
> As St Matthew says, God "causes the sun to rise on the evil and the
> good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous." So if there
> were no crop, the rain would still fall.
>
> The annual rainfall in cotton-producing places such as Texas or Egypt or
> Bangladesh is between 20 and 60 inches per year, give or take, i.e. 1.7
> to 5 acre-feet or 500,000 to 1,600,000 gallons per acre. The yield per
> acre is roughly 500 to 1500 lbs of cotton lint, plus considerably more
> in oil seed, which is mostly used for animal feed.
>
> So your number of 2000 gallons of water per pound is generally within a
> factor of 4 or so.
>
> However, that counts **all the rain that falls on the field in a year**,
> whether inside or outside the growing season. That's a really stupid
> basis for comparison with the amount of water required to wash and dye
> the cotton. _That_ water has to be collected into pipes and pumped
> around, whereas almost all the rain water sinks in or runs off
> regardless of whether the crop is there or not, doing useless things
> such as feeding rivers and replenishing aquifers. ;)
>
> If you feel like doing hydoponic or drip-irrigated cotton, you could
> maybe expand into dryer climes, but the amount of energy expended will
> be astronomical by comparison with normal dry-field or
> normally-irrigated agriculture.

It's not as simple as you make it out to be. Drip irrigation is the answer for much of the industry. This article is right on the money, and it's not like it's brand new technology, it's been going for 40 years or more now:
https://thenewsmill.com/2021/08/cotton-farmers-save-water-profits-drip-irrigation/
It does use a lot of polyethylene though. Since drip is an inherently low-pressure water system, energy use is minimal, and most growing sites are ideal for renewable energy to power their needs. There is much more to it than saving water. Superior crop quality in terms of fiber grading is a BIG plus of the better control of growing conditions drip systems provide.
This article is favorable to the cotton industry but does admit there're a lot of downsides due to primitive growers:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brookerobertsislam/2021/10/30/damaging-sustainability-myths-debunked-cotton-is-not-a-thirsty-crop-says-report/?sh=44533bee4d99
Not all cotton is created equal.

> Cheers
>
> Phil Hobbs
>
> --
> Dr Philip C D Hobbs
> Principal Consultant
> ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics
> Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics
> Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
>
> http://electrooptical.net
> http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: Pakistan floods: One third of country is under water - minister

<37e077d9-c5d2-475e-842a-0ad7c6898c6fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=104868&group=sci.electronics.design#104868

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 06:54:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 13:54 UTC

On Monday, August 29, 2022 at 10:23:15 PM UTC-4, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> Fred Bloggs wrote:

> >> A large proportion of the Texas cotton crop has failed due to drought.
> >> Don't throw away your old blue jeans, guys. ;)
> >
> > The statistic is 2,000 gallons of water to produce a single pair of jeans.
> Hmm, seriously misleading.
>
> The first thing is that rain falls where it likes, regardless of what we
> plant there. It's not like the crop somehow greedily sucks up all the
> water and hoards it like a miser to prevent it from refilling the
> aquifers and reservoirs and rivers or reconstituting baby formula or
> such. (Moughahahaha)
>
> As St Matthew says, God "causes the sun to rise on the evil and the
> good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous." So if there
> were no crop, the rain would still fall.
>
> The annual rainfall in cotton-producing places such as Texas or Egypt or
> Bangladesh is between 20 and 60 inches per year, give or take, i.e. 1.7
> to 5 acre-feet or 500,000 to 1,600,000 gallons per acre. The yield per
> acre is roughly 500 to 1500 lbs of cotton lint, plus considerably more
> in oil seed, which is mostly used for animal feed.
>
> So your number of 2000 gallons of water per pound is generally within a
> factor of 4 or so.
>
> However, that counts **all the rain that falls on the field in a year**,
> whether inside or outside the growing season. That's a really stupid
> basis for comparison with the amount of water required to wash and dye
> the cotton. _That_ water has to be collected into pipes and pumped
> around, whereas almost all the rain water sinks in or runs off
> regardless of whether the crop is there or not, doing useless things
> such as feeding rivers and replenishing aquifers. ;)
>
> If you feel like doing hydoponic or drip-irrigated cotton, you could
> maybe expand into dryer climes, but the amount of energy expended will
> be astronomical by comparison with normal dry-field or
> normally-irrigated agriculture.

Thinking back to the Texas crop failures, Texas uses a LOT of drip irrigation, for at least 35 years that I know of. That drought must have depleted their water supplies entirely, they didn't have enough for drip. You do understand drip requires less water and not no water.

> Cheers
>
> Phil Hobbs
>
> --
> Dr Philip C D Hobbs
> Principal Consultant
> ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics
> Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics
> Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
>
> http://electrooptical.net
> http://hobbs-eo.com

Re: Pakistan floods: One third of country is under water - minister

<0a4c03fe-5ef0-4871-9078-775ac6467e4fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=104882&group=sci.electronics.design#104882

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 11:21:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 18:21 UTC

On Monday, 29 August 2022 at 23:43:44 UTC+2, Fred Bloggs wrote:

Fake warning !!

-----If you want apparel that "breathes" in the heat, polyester is the best. Sweating turns cotton into a wet blanket, polyester lets it evaporate off the exterior surface.

Fake warning !!

polyester is highly cancerogenic since highly contaminated, since recycled over and over again, attracting more and more toxins

Re: Pakistan floods: One third of country is under water - minister

<13c287cc-6f33-465d-b3d2-1e68b93cc9can@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=104886&group=sci.electronics.design#104886

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 13:52:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 20:52 UTC

On Tuesday, August 30, 2022 at 2:21:43 PM UTC-4, a a wrote:
> On Monday, 29 August 2022 at 23:43:44 UTC+2, Fred Bloggs wrote:
>
> Fake warning !!
>
> -----If you want apparel that "breathes" in the heat, polyester is the best. Sweating turns cotton into a wet blanket, polyester lets it evaporate off the exterior surface.
>
> Fake warning !!
>
> polyester is highly cancerogenic since highly contaminated, since recycled over and over again, attracting more and more toxins

There is no such contamination. You on the other hand are contaminated with insanity.

Re: Pakistan floods: One third of country is under water - minister

<ce9de381-1b67-4fc9-b97b-f44fc0ce335en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=104887&group=sci.electronics.design#104887

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 14:04:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 21:04 UTC

On Tuesday, 30 August 2022 at 22:53:01 UTC+2, Fred Bloggs wrote:
excellent
drink your Cola from recycled bottle, recycled 100 times in China