From: LDigh...@att.net (Larry Dighera)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.piloting
Subject: NTSB Cites Failure To Remove Control Lock
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2022 08:23:47 -0700
 by: Larry Dighera - Fri, 8 Jul 2022 15:23 UTC

This tragic mishap poignantly underscores the necessity to move the flight
controls to their stops before taking flight.

Thousands of hours can lead to caviler disregard for fundamental flight
safety measures.

If you choose to cut corners in aviation, it's likely to be disastrous.
Aviation is notoriously unforgiving.

I have found it prudent and imperative to follow _all_ of the points covered
in my flight instruction/training. This can be difficult when another
pilot-passenger with more hours is watching.

I once had an airplane partner who wanted to depart San Louis Obispo,
California for Ashland, Oregon without planning, or even charting, the
flight. Despite having GPS, I insisted on planning the flight.

Later this pilot inadvertently penetrated the ADIZ without clearance while
en-route to Brown Field near the Mexico border. Prior to my meeting him, he
had crashed his Cessna 195 on short final to KSNA.

https://www.avweb.com/flight-safety/accidents-ntsb/ntsb-cites-failure-to-remove-control-lock-in-snodgrass-crash/

NTSB Cites Failure To Remove Control Lock In Snodgrass Crash
By Kate O'Connor -Published:July 7, 2022

The NTSB has cited the pilot’s failure to remove the flight control lock as
the probable cause of the crash of a SIAI-Marchetti SM-1019B that killed
respected airshow performer and retired naval aviator Dale “Snort” Snodgrass
in July 2021. In its final report, which was published on Wednesday, the
Board noted that “the control lock and its retaining clip were essentially
undamaged, and the lock was found raised off the floor,” indicating that it
was engaged at the time of the crash. Investigators also reviewed
high-resolution footage from airport security cameras and determined that
“deflections of the elevator and ailerons were either zero, or so small that
they could not be seen.”

“The pilot was reported to be extremely thorough about performing preflight
checks, and according to his wife, the expected duration of his normal
preflight activities would not have allowed him to depart when he did,” the
NTSB wrote in its report. “The pilot had limited experience in the accident
airplane, which could explain why he did not remove the control lock during
the preflight inspection. There was no video evidence to provide insight
into the duration and scope of the pilot’s preflight inspection; however,
omission of the preflight control check was uncharacteristic given his
extensive flight experience, and the reason it was not performed could not
be determined.”

As previously reported by AVweb, the accident occurred shortly after takeoff
from Idaho’s Lewiston-Nez Perce County Airport (LWS) on July 24, 2021, at
about 11:52 a.m. local time. Investigators found no evidence of any
pre-accident mechanical malfunctions or failures and no indication that the
pilot’s seat had moved. Toxicology tests were negative and it was noted that
pilot incapacitation was unlikely given that Snodgrass’ final radio
transmission “showed that he was aware and speaking after the onset of loss
of control.”

Snodgrass had purchased the accident aircraft in April 2021 and it was
delivered to him the following June. He had an estimated 20 hours in the
aircraft prior to the crash. Snodgrass, who was an F-14 demo pilot for U.S.
Navy for more than ten years, had logged around 6,500 hours of civilian
flight time.

Snodgrass-SIAI-Marchetti-SM-1019B-NTSB-Final-Report Download:
https://s30121.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Snodgrass-SIAI-Marchetti-SM-1019B-NTSB-Final-Report.pdf