"Wish not to seem, but to be, the best." -- Aeschylus

tech / sci.electronics.repair / Re: Is it a capacitor, is it a resistor?

SubjectAuthor
* Is it a capacitor, is it a resistor?Liz Tuddenham
+* Re: Is it a capacitor, is it a resistor?jim whitby
|`- Re: Is it a capacitor, is it a resistor?Liz Tuddenham
+* Re: Is it a capacitor, is it a resistor?John Robertson
|`- Re: Is it a capacitor, is it a resistor?Liz Tuddenham
+* Re: Is it a capacitor, is it a resistor?legg
|`- Re: Is it a capacitor, is it a resistor?jim whitby
`* Re: Is it a capacitor, is it a resistor?Chuck
 `* Re: Is it a capacitor, is it a resistor?Liz Tuddenham
  `* Re: Is it a capacitor, is it a resistor?Cursitor Doom
   `- Re: Is it a capacitor, is it a resistor?Chuck

1
Is it a capacitor, is it a resistor?

<1qqfgdv.1y9tmdayl1lntN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10491&group=sci.electronics.repair#10491

From: liz...@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Is it a capacitor, is it a resistor?
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 20:56:32 +0000
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 20:56 UTC

I was asked to repair a Pioneer QX-949 quadraphonic tuner/amplifier. It
is a complex beast and one channel had gone down to almost nothing.
Luckily the service sheet was available and I traced the fault to the
board which houses the tone controls and filters.

The gain is in two stages with the tone controls around the second
stage. On one of the channels, the voltages on the single transistor
for that stage were all wrong. After lifting the transistor off the
board, it became apparent that the base bias was far too high and the
finger of suspicion pointed to the inter-stage coupling capacitor
feeding in leakage current from the preceding stage.

I tested the capacitor, which was marked "4.7". It read exactly 4.7k in
both directions on an ohm-meter !!!

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Is it a capacitor, is it a resistor?

<usvqbl$1rqj0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10493&group=sci.electronics.repair#10493

From: mr.sp...@spockmall.net (jim whitby)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: Is it a capacitor, is it a resistor?
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 21:31:33 -0000 (UTC)
\4oF-ng
Sylo&)70,bE_K]WwpPH'v/&uI6xq.c'l(DORW{gm,W:@N!?uVwKI?"'yY|>Jxa
2q(7fNM8Kd|2+2zF
m&GrR,3#7rFZ3,VhH{,=E`8N*t|raH,8{"h+g#hDE,>@PWE}xa4Mz
HEv&eOT#B]f,#\()-=w(x@xl@
s%wWrtkCSH]c&ev:?m-7)(g|s#\+#h
 by: jim whitby - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 21:31 UTC

> I was asked to repair a Pioneer QX-949 quadraphonic tuner/amplifier. It
> is a complex beast and one channel had gone down to almost nothing.
> Luckily the service sheet was available and I traced the fault to the
> board which houses the tone controls and filters.
>
> The gain is in two stages with the tone controls around the second
> stage. On one of the channels, the voltages on the single transistor
> for that stage were all wrong. After lifting the transistor off the
> board, it became apparent that the base bias was far too high and the
> finger of suspicion pointed to the inter-stage coupling capacitor
> feeding in leakage current from the preceding stage.
>
> I tested the capacitor, which was marked "4.7". It read exactly 4.7k in
> both directions on an ohm-meter !!!

You have a new type of device! Save it. It just might be worth
something... someday... maybe...

--
Jim Whitby

For the next hour, WE will control all that you see and hear.
----------------------
Mageia release 9 (Official) for x86_64
6.6.18-server-1.mga9 unknown
----------------------

Re: Is it a capacitor, is it a resistor?

<1qqfiso.1f1gtsevngxdmN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10494&group=sci.electronics.repair#10494

From: liz...@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 21:40:11 +0000
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 21:40 UTC

jim whitby <mr.spock@spockmall.net> wrote:

> > I was asked to repair a Pioneer QX-949 quadraphonic tuner/amplifier. It
> > is a complex beast and one channel had gone down to almost nothing.
> > Luckily the service sheet was available and I traced the fault to the
> > board which houses the tone controls and filters.
> >
> > The gain is in two stages with the tone controls around the second
> > stage. On one of the channels, the voltages on the single transistor
> > for that stage were all wrong. After lifting the transistor off the
> > board, it became apparent that the base bias was far too high and the
> > finger of suspicion pointed to the inter-stage coupling capacitor
> > feeding in leakage current from the preceding stage.
> >
> > I tested the capacitor, which was marked "4.7". It read exactly 4.7k in
> > both directions on an ohm-meter !!!
>
> You have a new type of device! Save it. It just might be worth
> something... someday... maybe...

It's a 22.09 usecs time constant - at least until it drifts.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Is it a capacitor, is it a resistor?

<ut0pgg$252oi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10495&group=sci.electronics.repair#10495

From: jrr...@flippers.com (John Robertson)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 23:23:12 -0700
 by: John Robertson - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 06:23 UTC

On 2024/03/14 1:56 p.m., Liz Tuddenham wrote:
> I was asked to repair a Pioneer QX-949 quadraphonic tuner/amplifier. It
> is a complex beast and one channel had gone down to almost nothing.
> Luckily the service sheet was available and I traced the fault to the
> board which houses the tone controls and filters.
>
> The gain is in two stages with the tone controls around the second
> stage. On one of the channels, the voltages on the single transistor
> for that stage were all wrong. After lifting the transistor off the
> board, it became apparent that the base bias was far too high and the
> finger of suspicion pointed to the inter-stage coupling capacitor
> feeding in leakage current from the preceding stage.
>
> I tested the capacitor, which was marked "4.7". It read exactly 4.7k in
> both directions on an ohm-meter !!!

Can digital ohm-meters be fooled by ESR?

It does sound like a leaky cap mind you - and interesting that the
leakage matches the stamped uf value!

John :-#)#
John's Jukes Ltd.
#7 - 3979 Marine Way, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5J 5E3
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Re: Is it a capacitor, is it a resistor?

<1qqgdp3.ctwevlwal8p6N%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10496&group=sci.electronics.repair#10496

From: liz...@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 08:56:19 +0000
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 08:56 UTC

John Robertson <jrr@flippers.com> wrote:

> On 2024/03/14 1:56 p.m., Liz Tuddenham wrote:
> > I was asked to repair a Pioneer QX-949 quadraphonic tuner/amplifier. It
> > is a complex beast and one channel had gone down to almost nothing.
> > Luckily the service sheet was available and I traced the fault to the
> > board which houses the tone controls and filters.
> >
> > The gain is in two stages with the tone controls around the second
> > stage. On one of the channels, the voltages on the single transistor
> > for that stage were all wrong. After lifting the transistor off the
> > board, it became apparent that the base bias was far too high and the
> > finger of suspicion pointed to the inter-stage coupling capacitor
> > feeding in leakage current from the preceding stage.
> >
> > I tested the capacitor, which was marked "4.7". It read exactly 4.7k in
> > both directions on an ohm-meter !!!
> >

> Can digital ohm-meters be fooled by ESR?

Possibly, but not to that extent. The meter was a Philip PM2518, which
I believe uses DC for the ohms measurement.

A new capacitor solved the problem and saved a rather expensive and
special piece of kit from being consigned to the scrap heap.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Is it a capacitor, is it a resistor?

<a6m8vi57si3o42atlgu0ij88jhbacv0r06@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10497&group=sci.electronics.repair#10497

From: leg...@nospam.magma.ca (legg)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 10:23:18 -0400
 by: legg - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 14:23 UTC

On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 20:56:32 +0000, liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid
(Liz Tuddenham) wrote:

>I was asked to repair a Pioneer QX-949 quadraphonic tuner/amplifier. It
>is a complex beast and one channel had gone down to almost nothing.
>Luckily the service sheet was available and I traced the fault to the
>board which houses the tone controls and filters.
>
>The gain is in two stages with the tone controls around the second
>stage. On one of the channels, the voltages on the single transistor
>for that stage were all wrong. After lifting the transistor off the
>board, it became apparent that the base bias was far too high and the
>finger of suspicion pointed to the inter-stage coupling capacitor
>feeding in leakage current from the preceding stage.
>
>I tested the capacitor, which was marked "4.7". It read exactly 4.7k in
>both directions on an ohm-meter !!!

Used to keep a special box for spectacularly wrong parts, but never
found a situation where their re-use was justified, even as a joke.

Everybody takes themselves so seriously these days. At least each
part had a story behind it . . . .

RL

Re: Is it a capacitor, is it a resistor?

<ut1suh$2c0p3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10498&group=sci.electronics.repair#10498

From: mr.sp...@spockmall.net (jim whitby)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 16:28:01 -0000 (UTC)
\4oF-ng
Sylo&)70,bE_K]WwpPH'v/&uI6xq.c'l(DORW{gm,W:@N!?uVwKI?"'yY|>Jxa
2q(7fNM8Kd|2+2zF
m&GrR,3#7rFZ3,VhH{,=E`8N*t|raH,8{"h+g#hDE,>@PWE}xa4Mz
HEv&eOT#B]f,#\()-=w(x@xl@
s%wWrtkCSH]c&ev:?m-7)(g|s#\+#h
 by: jim whitby - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 16:28 UTC

> On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 20:56:32 +0000, liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid
> (Liz Tuddenham) wrote:
>
>>I was asked to repair a Pioneer QX-949 quadraphonic tuner/amplifier. It
>>is a complex beast and one channel had gone down to almost nothing.
>>Luckily the service sheet was available and I traced the fault to the
>>board which houses the tone controls and filters.
>>
>>The gain is in two stages with the tone controls around the second
>>stage. On one of the channels, the voltages on the single transistor
>>for that stage were all wrong. After lifting the transistor off the
>>board, it became apparent that the base bias was far too high and the
>>finger of suspicion pointed to the inter-stage coupling capacitor
>>feeding in leakage current from the preceding stage.
>>
>>I tested the capacitor, which was marked "4.7". It read exactly 4.7k in
>>both directions on an ohm-meter !!!
>

> Used to keep a special box for spectacularly wrong parts, but never
> found a situation where their re-use was justified, even as a joke.
>
> Everybody takes themselves so seriously these days. At least each part
> had a story behind it . . . .
>
> RL

Way back when...
I used to keep some blown fueses around, just for people who wanted "a
fuse exactly like this one".

--
Jim Whitby

Let us remember that ours is a nation of lawyers and order.
----------------------
Mageia release 9 (Official) for x86_64
6.6.18-server-1.mga9 unknown
----------------------

Re: Is it a capacitor, is it a resistor?

<SvX1ZS8ixP48I2VQoJsCd3R3YYQi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10502&group=sci.electronics.repair#10502

From: chuc...@dejanews.net (Chuck)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 14:39:32 -0500
 by: Chuck - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 19:39 UTC

(Liz Tuddenham) wrote:

>I was asked to repair a Pioneer QX-949 quadraphonic tuner/amplifier. It
>is a complex beast and one channel had gone down to almost nothing.
>Luckily the service sheet was available and I traced the fault to the
>board which houses the tone controls and filters.
>
>The gain is in two stages with the tone controls around the second
>stage. On one of the channels, the voltages on the single transistor
>for that stage were all wrong. After lifting the transistor off the
>board, it became apparent that the base bias was far too high and the
>finger of suspicion pointed to the inter-stage coupling capacitor
>feeding in leakage current from the preceding stage.
>
>I tested the capacitor, which was marked "4.7". It read exactly 4.7k in
>both directions on an ohm-meter !!!

Was it a light blue Sanyo?

Re: Is it a capacitor, is it a resistor?

<1qqj5m7.1k6ersdjyfwhsN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10503&group=sci.electronics.repair#10503

From: liz...@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 20:44:58 +0000
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 20:44 UTC

Chuck <chuck23@dejanews.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 20:56:32 +0000, liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid
> (Liz Tuddenham) wrote:
>
> >I was asked to repair a Pioneer QX-949 quadraphonic tuner/amplifier. It
> >is a complex beast and one channel had gone down to almost nothing.
> >Luckily the service sheet was available and I traced the fault to the
> >board which houses the tone controls and filters.
> >
> >The gain is in two stages with the tone controls around the second
> >stage. On one of the channels, the voltages on the single transistor
> >for that stage were all wrong. After lifting the transistor off the
> >board, it became apparent that the base bias was far too high and the
> >finger of suspicion pointed to the inter-stage coupling capacitor
> >feeding in leakage current from the preceding stage.
> >
> >I tested the capacitor, which was marked "4.7". It read exactly 4.7k in
> >both directions on an ohm-meter !!!
>
> Was it a light blue Sanyo?

It was indeed!

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Is it a capacitor, is it a resistor?

<9ebevi5qmcp3pk23566lelg0o209th2752@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10505&group=sci.electronics.repair#10505

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 17:52:39 +0000
 by: Cursitor Doom - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 17:52 UTC

On Sat, 16 Mar 2024 20:44:58 +0000, liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid
(Liz Tuddenham) wrote:

>Chuck <chuck23@dejanews.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 20:56:32 +0000, liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid
>> (Liz Tuddenham) wrote:
>>
>> >I was asked to repair a Pioneer QX-949 quadraphonic tuner/amplifier. It
>> >is a complex beast and one channel had gone down to almost nothing.
>> >Luckily the service sheet was available and I traced the fault to the
>> >board which houses the tone controls and filters.
>> >
>> >The gain is in two stages with the tone controls around the second
>> >stage. On one of the channels, the voltages on the single transistor
>> >for that stage were all wrong. After lifting the transistor off the
>> >board, it became apparent that the base bias was far too high and the
>> >finger of suspicion pointed to the inter-stage coupling capacitor
>> >feeding in leakage current from the preceding stage.
>> >
>> >I tested the capacitor, which was marked "4.7". It read exactly 4.7k in
>> >both directions on an ohm-meter !!!
>>
>> Was it a light blue Sanyo?
>
>It was indeed!

Sounds like a known issue, then. Unless Chuck is psychic, of course.

Re: Is it a capacitor, is it a resistor?

<LmL4ZReD5Ot3GrP0+g7w=6GZgAu3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10524&group=sci.electronics.repair#10524

From: chuc...@dejanews.net (Chuck)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 10:57:20 -0500
 by: Chuck - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 15:57 UTC

On Sun, 17 Mar 2024 17:52:39 +0000, Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Mar 2024 20:44:58 +0000, liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid
>(Liz Tuddenham) wrote:
>
>>Chuck <chuck23@dejanews.net> wrote:

>>> Was it a light blue Sanyo?
>>
>>It was indeed!
>
>Sounds like a known issue, then. Unless Chuck is psychic, of course.
Those Sanyo caps caused many weird problems in Pioneer receivers. Back
in the day, I worked in the main repair department of which is now the
largest electronics retailer in North America. Since we worked on
only commission, the receiver repairer sometimes got stuck on an odd
problem and didn't want to take a financial hit. I used to love
challenges so I would repair these receivers. I would say, other than
power amp issues, these caps were the main culprits.