Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 17:16:39 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Prehistoric viruses smuggled genes into our DNA
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 00:16 UTC

About 8% of our DNA comes from viruses that infected our distant ancestors. Some of this DNA codes for proteins that affect our biology today.

"A subset of viruses known as retroviruses are especially well equipped to sneak their genes into a host’s DNA. These viruses reproduce by tricking host cells to produce all the proteins that the virus needs to make copies of itself. To hijack host cells, the viruses use enzymes called reverse transcriptases to convert their RNA genes into DNA. After this conversion, retroviruses deploy enzymes called integrases, which make strategic incisions at locations along an organism’s chromosomes where the viral DNA can embed itself."

SARS-CoV-2 is a retrovirus, and it does infect germ cells.

So we'll be looking at more disease that "runs in the family"- probably neurological disorders.

https://cen.acs.org/biological-chemistry/biochemistry/Prehistoric-viruses-smuggled-genes-DNA/100/i15#

Re: Prehistoric viruses smuggled genes into our DNA

<9b33e4e4-53db-452d-8673-f9d92b01c4c9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=105414&group=sci.electronics.design#105414

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 19:07:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 02:07 UTC

On Monday, September 5, 2022 at 9:19:33 PM UTC-4, bill....@ieee.org wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 6, 2022 at 10:16:43 AM UTC+10, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> > About 8% of our DNA comes from viruses that infected our distant ancestors. Some of this DNA codes for proteins that affect our biology today.
> >
> > "A subset of viruses known as retroviruses are especially well equipped to sneak their genes into a host’s DNA. These viruses reproduce by tricking host cells to produce all the proteins that the virus needs to make copies of itself. To hijack host cells, the viruses use enzymes called reverse transcriptases to convert their RNA genes into DNA. After this conversion, retroviruses deploy enzymes called integrases, which make strategic incisions at locations along an organism’s chromosomes where the viral DNA can embed itself."
> >
> > SARS-CoV-2 is a retrovirus, and it does infect germ cells.
> >
> > So we'll be looking at more disease that "runs in the family"- probably neurological disorders.
> >
> > https://cen.acs.org/biological-chemistry/biochemistry/Prehistoric-viruses-smuggled-genes-DNA/100/i15#
> Probably not. That 8% comes fro viruses that started infecting our very distant ancestor back before there were any multicellular organisms. It doesn't happen often, and most of that 8% is going to have come from a time before our ancestor single cells had evolved defenses to make it much less likely to happen.
>
> This is a a level alarmism. Mere click-bait.

Uhmmmm:
Reverse-transcribed SARS-CoV-2 RNA can integrate into the genome of cultured human cells and can be expressed in patient-derived tissues
https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2105968118
Authors are no amateurs.

> --
> Bill Sloman Sydney

Re: Prehistoric viruses smuggled genes into our DNA

<dabbdea5-f2f7-4bef-9b9f-d089f94daa08n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=105419&group=sci.electronics.design#105419

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 20:04:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 03:04 UTC

On Monday, September 5, 2022 at 10:34:56 PM UTC-4, bill....@ieee.org wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 6, 2022 at 12:07:07 PM UTC+10, Fred Bloggs wrote:

> > > Probably not. That 8% comes fro viruses that started infecting our very distant ancestor back before there were any multicellular organisms. It doesn't happen often, and most of that 8% is going to have come from a time before our ancestor single cells had evolved defenses to make it much less likely to happen.
> > >
> > > This is a a level alarmism. Mere click-bait.
> >
> > Uhmmmm:
> > Reverse-transcribed SARS-CoV-2 RNA can integrate into the genome of cultured human cells and can be expressed in patient-derived tissues
> > https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2105968118
> > Authors are no amateurs.
> Your claim is that the viral genes are integrated into the reproductive cells - the single strand genome in eggs and sperm.
>
> This paper doesn't provide any evidence at all that this is happening. The actual suggesion is that the viral RNA is getting translated into DNA and that is into the cell nucleus and thus getting replicated with the human genomes when the cell divides, which neatly explains the persistence of Covid-19 genome fragments long after infection, but doesn't say anything about incorporation into reproductive cells.
>
> The amateur here is you.

I may be an amateur, but unlike you I'm not a complete idiot. When I say it has been determined that SARS-CoV-2 infects germ cells, by which is meant the integration of transcripted viral RNA into the cell nuclear DNA, then that means there are reports in the literature such a thing has been observed.

> --
> Bill Sloman Sydney

Re: Prehistoric viruses smuggled genes into our DNA

<0b790f50-4d2f-4a1c-afaf-68a4303c1c23n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=105494&group=sci.electronics.design#105494

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 06:52:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 13:52 UTC

On Tuesday, September 6, 2022 at 12:03:02 AM UTC-4, bill....@ieee.org wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 6, 2022 at 1:04:39 PM UTC+10, Fred Bloggs wrote:

> > > Your claim is that the viral genes are integrated into the reproductive cells - the single strand genome in eggs and sperm.
> > >
> > > This paper doesn't provide any evidence at all that this is happening.. The actual suggesion is that the viral RNA is getting translated into DNA and that is into the cell nucleus and thus getting replicated with the human genomes when the cell divides, which neatly explains the persistence of Covid-19 genome fragments long after infection, but doesn't say anything about incorporation into reproductive cells.
> > >
> > > The amateur here is you.
> >
> > I may be an amateur, but unlike you I'm not a complete idiot. When I say it has been determined that SARS-CoV-2 infects germ cells, by which is meant the integration of transcripted viral RNA into the cell nuclear DNA, then that means there are reports in the literature such a thing has been observed.
> That's a Gnatguy-level response, Cite the paper or shut up.

There is no "the" paper, there are a multitude. Those reports will just add to your confusion and make you feel inadequate and worthless.