A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you. -- Ramsey Clark

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project - Global Network of 1,000 Dosimeters pointed to the Sun

SubjectAuthor
* Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project - Global Network of 1,000a a
+- Re: Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project - Global Network ofa a
+- Re: Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project - Global Network ofa a
`* Re: Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project - Global Network of 1,000 DosimeterJohn Larkin
 +* Re: Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project - Global Network ofa a
 |`* Re: Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project - Global Network ofJohn Walliker
 | +- Re: Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project - Global Network ofa a
 | +- Re: Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project - Global Network ofDimiter_Popoff
 | `- Re: Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project - Global Network ofMartin Brown
 `- Re: Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project - Global Network ofDimiter_Popoff

1
Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project - Global Network of 1,000 Dosimeters pointed to the Sun

<516526fd-2a4a-48c9-a7d5-4220d00e3879n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=105522&group=sci.electronics.design#105522

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 09:58:51 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project - Global Network of 1,000
Dosimeters pointed to the Sun
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 16:58 UTC

Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project

Global Network of 1,000 Geiger Dosimeters pointed to the Sun

You can get Geiger Dosimeter for as low as $10

you are welcome

We study X-ray flux from the Sun, generated by Coronary Mass Ejections, directed to Earth, resulting in Cracks in Earth's Magnetic Shield,
so the X-ray flux from the Sun can touch to Earth's surface, exposing humans in the region to high doses of X-ray radiation

------

Examples of Doses in millisieverts

We must note that radiation is all around us. In, around, and above the world we live in. It is a natural energy force that surrounds us, and it is a part of our natural world that has been here since the birth of our planet. In the following points, we try to express enormous ranges of radiation exposure, which can be obtained from various sources.

0.00005 mSv – Sleeping next to someone
0.00009 mSv – Living within 30 miles of a nuclear power plant for a year
0.0001 mSv – Eating one banana
0.0003 mSv – Living within 50 miles of a coal power plant for a year
0.01 mSv – Average daily dose received from natural background
0.02 mSv – Chest X-ray
0.04 mSv – A 5-hour airplane flight
0.60 mSv – mammogram
1 mSv – Dose limit for individual members of the public, total effective dose per annum
3.65 mSv – Average yearly dose received from natural background
5.8 mSv – Chest CT scan
10 mSv – Average yearly dose received from a natural background in Ramsar, Iran
20 mSv – single full-body CT scan
175 mSv – Annual dose from natural radiation on a monazite beach near Guarapari, Brazil.
5 000 mSv – Dose that kills a human with a 50% risk within 30 days (LD50/30) if the dose is received over a very short duration.

https://www.nuclear-power.com/nuclear-engineering/radiation-protection/equivalent-dose/sievert-unit-of-equivalent-dose/millisievert-microsievert/

----

Solar Flare Classifications

Ranking of a solar flare is based on its x-ray output. Flares are classified according to the order of magnitude of the peak burst intensity (I) measured at the earth in the 0.1 to 0.8 nm wavelength band as follows:
Peak, 0.1 to 0.8 nm band
Class (Watts/square metre)
B I < 10-6
C 10-6 I < 10-5
M 10-5 I < 10-4
X I 10-4
A multiplier is used to indicate the level within each class. For example:

M6 = 6 X 10-5 Watts/square metre

https://www.spaceweather.com/flareexpl.html

So mW/m2 long term exposure to X-ray flux from the Sun can turn into high cancer risk - health hazard

One sievert is a large amount of equivalent dose. A person who has absorbed a whole body dose of 1 Sv has absorbed one joule of energy in each kg of body tissue (in case of gamma rays).

https://www.nuclear-power.com/nuclear-engineering/radiation-protection/equivalent-dose/sievert-unit-of-equivalent-dose/millisievert-microsievert/

Re: Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project - Global Network of 1,000 Dosimeters pointed to the Sun

<046bf2eb-7e17-411b-9d99-e8e9adef0bd3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=105524&group=sci.electronics.design#105524

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 10:21:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project - Global Network of
1,000 Dosimeters pointed to the Sun
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 17:21 UTC

On Wednesday, 7 September 2022 at 18:58:55 UTC+2, a a wrote:
> [...]
> Peak, 0.1 to 0.8 nm band
> Class (Watts/square metre)
> B I < 10-6
> C 10-6 I < 10-5
> M 10-5 I < 10-4
> X I 10-4
> A multiplier is used to indicate the level within each class. For example:
>
> M6 = 6 X 10-5 Watts/square metre
>
> https://www.spaceweather.com/flareexpl.html
>
> So mW/m2 long term exposure to X-ray flux from the Sun can turn into high cancer risk - health hazard
>

> One sievert is a large amount of equivalent dose. A person who has absorbed a whole body dose of 1 Sv has absorbed one joule of energy in each kg of body tissue (in case of gamma rays).

millisievert – microsievert – units of equivalent dose

sievert - radiationIn radiation protection, a sievert is a derived unit of equivalent and effective dose. The sievert represents the equivalent biological effect of depositing a joule of gamma rays energy in a kilogram of human tissue. Unit of sievert is important in radiation protection and was named after the Swedish scientist Rolf Sievert, who did a lot of the early work on dosimetry in radiation therapy.

As was written, the sievert is used for radiation dose quantities such as equivalent dose and effective dose. Equivalent dose (symbol HT) is a dose quantity calculated for individual organs (index T – tissue). The equivalent dose is based on the absorbed dose to an organ, adjusted to account for the effectiveness of the type of radiation. An equivalent dose is given the symbol HT. The SI unit of HT is the sievert (Sv) or but rem (roentgen equivalent man) is still commonly used (1 Sv = 100 rem).

One sievert is a large amount of equivalent dose. A person who has absorbed a whole body dose of 1 Sv has absorbed one joule of energy in each kg of body tissue (in case of gamma rays).

Equivalent doses measured in industry and medicine often have usually lower doses than one sievert, and the following multiples are often used:

1 mSv (millisievert) = 1E-3 Sv

1 µSv (microsievert) = 1E-6 Sv

Conversions from the SI units to other units are as follows:

1 Sv = 100 rem
1 mSv = 100 mrem

[...]

https://nuclear-power.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/sievert-radiation-definition-definition-min.png

Re: Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project - Global Network of 1,000 Dosimeters pointed to the Sun

<cbe6fe31-f7b6-4802-ae26-d812d2899b35n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=105528&group=sci.electronics.design#105528

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 10:35:19 -0700 (PDT)
1,000 Dosimeters pointed to the Sun
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 17:35 UTC

> [...]
> Peak, 0.1 to 0.8 nm band
> Class (Watts/square metre)
> B I < 10-6
> C 10-6 I < 10-5
> M 10-5 I < 10-4
> X I 10-4
> A multiplier is used to indicate the level within each class. For example:
>
> M6 = 6 X 10-5 Watts/square metre
>
> https://www.spaceweather.com/flareexpl.html
>
> So mW/m2 long term exposure to X-ray flux from the Sun can turn into high cancer risk - health hazard
>

> One sievert is a large amount of equivalent dose. A person who has absorbed a whole body dose of 1 Sv has absorbed one joule of energy in each kg of body tissue (in case of gamma rays).

Go to Science@NASA home page

Immense cracks in our planet's magnetic field can remain open for hours, allowing the solar wind to gush through and power stormy space weather.

NASA

Link to story audio
Listen to this story via
streaming audio
, a
downloadable file
, or get help.

Dec. 3, 2003: Earth is surrounded by a magnetic force field--a bubble in space called "the magnetosphere" tens of thousands of miles wide. Although many people don't know it exists, the magnetosphere is familiar. It's a far flung part of the same planetary magnetic field that deflects compass needles here on Earth's surface. And it's important. The magnetosphere acts as a shield that protects us from solar storms.

According to new observations, however, from NASA's IMAGE spacecraft and the joint NASA/European Space Agency Cluster satellites, immense cracks sometimes develop in Earth's magnetosphere and remain open for hours. This allows the solar wind to gush through and power stormy space weather.

see caption

Above: An artist's rendition of NASA's IMAGE satellite flying through a 'crack' in Earth's magnetic field. [more]

"We've discovered that our magnetic shield is drafty, like a house with a window stuck open during a storm," says Harald Frey of the University of California, Berkeley, lead author of a paper on this research published Dec. 4 in Nature. "The house deflects most of the storm, but the couch is ruined. Similarly, our magnetic shield takes the brunt of space storms, but some energy slips through its cracks, sometimes enough to cause problems with satellites, radio communication, and power systems."

newshat.gif

Sign up for EXPRESS SCIENCE NEWS delivery
"The new knowledge that the cracks are open for long periods can be incorporated into our space weather forecasting computer models to more accurately predict how our space weather is influenced by violent events on the Sun," adds Tai Phan, also of UC Berkeley, co-author of the Nature paper.

The solar wind is a fast-moving stream of electrically charged particles (electrons and ions) blown constantly from the Sun. The wind can get gusty during violent solar events, like coronal mass ejections (CMEs), which can shoot a billion tons of electrified gas into space at millions of miles per hour.

Earth's magnetosphere generally does a good job of deflecting the particles and snarled magnetic fields carried by CMEs. Even so, space storms and their vivid effects, like auroras which light up the sky over the polar regions with more than a hundred million watts of power, have long indicated that the shield was not impenetrable.

see caption
In 1961, Jim Dungey of the Imperial College, United Kingdom, predicted that cracks might form in the magnetic shield when the solar wind contained a magnetic field that was oriented in the opposite direction to a portion of the Earth's field. In these regions, the two magnetic fields would interconnect through a process known as "magnetic reconnection," forming a crack in the shield through which the electrically charged particles of the solar wind could flow.

Left: An artist's rendition of magnetic reconnection. The amber-brown lines denote lines of magnetic force. The bright spot is where oppositely-directed fields are making contact and "reconnecting."

In 1979, Goetz Paschmann of the Max Planck Institute for Extraterrestrial Physics in Germany detected the cracks using the International Sun Earth Explorer (ISEE) spacecraft. However, since this spacecraft only briefly passed through the cracks during its orbit, it was unknown if the cracks were temporary features or if they were stable for long periods.

In the new observations, the Imager for Magnetopause to Aurora Global Exploration (IMAGE) satellite revealed an area almost the size of California in the arctic upper atmosphere where a 75-megawatt "proton aurora" flared for hours. A proton aurora is a form of Northern Lights caused by heavy solar ions striking Earth's upper atmosphere, causing it to emit ultraviolet light--invisible to the human eye but detectable by the Far Ultraviolet Imager on IMAGE. While this aurora was being recorded by IMAGE, the 4-satellite Cluster constellation flew far above IMAGE, directly through the crack, and detected solar wind ions streaming through it.

Below: An artist's rendition of the four Cluster satellites near a stream of solar ions pouring in through a crack in the magnetosphere. [more]

see caption
This stream of solar wind ions bombarded our atmosphere in precisely the same region where IMAGE saw the proton aurora. The fact that IMAGE was able to view the proton aurora for more than 9 hours implies that the crack remained continuously open. Researchers estimate that the crack was twice the size of Earth at the boundary of our magnetic shield--about 38,000 miles (60,000 km) above the planet's surface. Since the magnetic field converges as it enters the Earth in the polar regions, the crack narrowed to about the size of California down near the upper atmosphere.

Fortunately, these cracks don't expose Earth's surface to the solar wind. Our atmosphere protects us, even when our magnetic field doesn't. The effects of solar storms are felt mainly in the high upper atmosphere and the region of space around Earth where satellites orbit.

Stay tuned later this week for a follow-up story from Science@NASA about how magnetic cracks have lately sparked beautiful auroras--a phenomenon of the upper atmosphere--in some unexpected places.

more information

IMAGE was launched March 25, 2000, to provide a global view of the space around Earth influenced by the Earth's magnetic field. The Cluster satellites, built by ESA, and launched July 16, 2000, are making a three-dimensional map of the Earth's magnetic field. Click here for images, movies and more information.

The Sun Goes Haywire -- (Science@NASA) Solar maximum is years past, yet the sun has been remarkably active lately. Is the sunspot cycle broken?

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project - Global Network of 1,000 Dosimeters pointed to the Sun

<40phhhdq13mo129omp6g3saufllrq47jep@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=105538&group=sci.electronics.design#105538

From: jlar...@highland_atwork_technology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project - Global Network of 1,000 Dosimeters pointed to the Sun
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2022 11:34:26 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 18:34 UTC

On Wed, 7 Sep 2022 09:58:51 -0700 (PDT), a a <manta103g@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project
>
>Global Network of 1,000 Geiger Dosimeters pointed to the Sun

How directional are geiger dosimeters?

Re: Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project - Global Network of 1,000 Dosimeters pointed to the Sun

<af024b99-f31c-492f-a58d-16b9bbdbbad7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=105554&group=sci.electronics.design#105554

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 14:32:28 -0700 (PDT)
1,000 Dosimeters pointed to the Sun
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 21:32 UTC

On Wednesday, 7 September 2022 at 20:34:36 UTC+2, John Larkin wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Sep 2022 09:58:51 -0700 (PDT), a a <mant...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project
> >
> >Global Network of 1,000 Geiger Dosimeters pointed to the Sun
> How directional are geiger dosimeters?
https://nso.edu/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/Gband1_yellow-w-scale-bar.png

https://spaceweather.com/images2022/06sep22/nasamodel.gif

Geiger Dosimeter can be made directional

Re: Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project - Global Network of 1,000 Dosimeters pointed to the Sun

<41e0c730-0a6c-4e70-9f73-673d754cf880n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=105555&group=sci.electronics.design#105555

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 15:10:10 -0700 (PDT)
1,000 Dosimeters pointed to the Sun
From: jrwalli...@gmail.com (John Walliker)
 by: John Walliker - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 22:10 UTC

On Wednesday, 7 September 2022 at 22:32:33 UTC+1, a a wrote:
> On Wednesday, 7 September 2022 at 20:34:36 UTC+2, John Larkin wrote:
> > On Wed, 7 Sep 2022 09:58:51 -0700 (PDT), a a <mant...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project
> > >
> > >Global Network of 1,000 Geiger Dosimeters pointed to the Sun
> > How directional are geiger dosimeters?
> https://nso.edu/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/Gband1_yellow-w-scale-bar.png
>

> https://spaceweather.com/images2022/06sep22/nasamodel.gif
>
> Geiger Dosimeter can be made directional

How?

John

Re: Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project - Global Network of 1,000 Dosimeters pointed to the Sun

<3ada1b35-3aaa-4f11-9cd6-c3721379115en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=105556&group=sci.electronics.design#105556

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 15:17:58 -0700 (PDT)
1,000 Dosimeters pointed to the Sun
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 22:17 UTC

On Thursday, 8 September 2022 at 00:10:15 UTC+2, John Walliker wrote:
> On Wednesday, 7 September 2022 at 22:32:33 UTC+1, a a wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 7 September 2022 at 20:34:36 UTC+2, John Larkin wrote:

> > > How directional are geiger dosimeters?
> > https://nso.edu/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/Gband1_yellow-w-scale-bar.png
> >

> > https://spaceweather.com/images2022/06sep22/nasamodel.gif
> >
> > Geiger Dosimeter can be made directional
> How?
>
> John
get one first

Re: Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project - Global Network of 1,000 Dosimeters pointed to the Sun

<tfb66e$b85g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=105558&group=sci.electronics.design#105558

From: dp...@tgi-sci.com (Dimiter_Popoff)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
1,000 Dosimeters pointed to the Sun
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2022 01:32:45 +0300
 by: Dimiter_Popoff - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 22:32 UTC

On 9/7/2022 21:34, John Larkin wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Sep 2022 09:58:51 -0700 (PDT), a a <manta103g@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project
>>
>> Global Network of 1,000 Geiger Dosimeters pointed to the Sun
>
> How directional are geiger dosimeters?

You buy them at Aliexpress, write on them "enter here" with an
arrow for clarity and there you are.

I am somewhat stunned by the persistence of the poster of all
that nonsense, if it only were about measuring x-ray of a few
keV at ground level... With GM counters, of course.

Dimiter Popoff, TGI http://www.tgi-sci.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/didi_tgi/

Re: Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project - Global Network of 1,000 Dosimeters pointed to the Sun

<tfb6ia$b91m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=105560&group=sci.electronics.design#105560

From: dp...@tgi-sci.com (Dimiter_Popoff)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
1,000 Dosimeters pointed to the Sun
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2022 01:39:05 +0300
 by: Dimiter_Popoff - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 22:39 UTC

On 9/8/2022 1:10, John Walliker wrote:
> On Wednesday, 7 September 2022 at 22:32:33 UTC+1, a a wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 7 September 2022 at 20:34:36 UTC+2, John Larkin wrote:

>>> How directional are geiger dosimeters?
>> https://nso.edu/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/Gband1_yellow-w-scale-bar.png
>>

>> https://spaceweather.com/images2022/06sep22/nasamodel.gif
>>
>> Geiger Dosimeter can be made directional
>
> How?
>
> John

Well for a few keV it is not impossible, just put the GM tube in a
metal housing with an opening to get the geometry you want
(say 1mm of brass will stop everything within 10 keV or so).

Which does not make the poster's idea of measuring the Sun's
X-ray with GM tubes on the ground any less idiotic of course.

Re: Join X-ray flux from the Sun R&D Project - Global Network of 1,000 Dosimeters pointed to the Sun

<tfc6ki$1fuu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=105573&group=sci.electronics.design#105573

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
1,000 Dosimeters pointed to the Sun
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2022 08:46:21 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Thu, 8 Sep 2022 07:46 UTC

On 07/09/2022 23:10, John Walliker wrote:
> On Wednesday, 7 September 2022 at 22:32:33 UTC+1, a a wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 7 September 2022 at 20:34:36 UTC+2, John Larkin wrote:

>>> How directional are geiger dosimeters?

Not at all directional and many orders of magnitude too insensitive to
see anything at all at ground level. The only thing it will measure is
relative humidity and leakage current of an imperfect elderly device.

>> https://nso.edu/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/Gband1_yellow-w-scale-bar.png
>>

>> https://spaceweather.com/images2022/06sep22/nasamodel.gif
>>
>> Geiger Dosimeter can be made directional
>
> How?

The simplest way would be to surround it with a thick shield of steel
from Scapa flow which is how most radiation calorimetry is done. Then of
course you would have to track the sun with your directional detector.

Anything smelted after the nuclear era is too hot to be useful unless it
has been zone refined to the Nth degree.

You have to be very careful what you use for shielding sensitive
radiation detectors. They use zone refined copper and 2km of rock to
shield the dark matter and neutrino detectors (and they check each
copper brick individually). In the case of the neutrinos even solid rock
the diameter of the Earth doesn't affect them much.

The experiments to qualify the materials for building them are almost as
difficult as the experiment itself. Maintaining a clean room inside a
very dusty salt mine is not at all easy and the potassium salt that they
are actually mining for is itself mildly radioactive.

I suspect he has found some war surplus dosimeters from the cold war era
which are only about 10 or 20 orders of magnitude or so too insensitive.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown