Dijkstra probably hates me. -- Linus Torvalds, in kernel/sched.c

tech / rec.photo.digital / Nikon's R9. Contrived real LCD is articulation nightmare

SubjectAuthor
* Nikon's R9. Contrived real LCD is articulation nightmareRichA
+* Re: Nikon's R9. Contrived real LCD is articulation nightmaregeoff
|+* Re: Nikon's R9. Contrived real LCD is articulation nightmareRichA
||+- Re: Nikon's R9. Contrived real LCD is articulation nightmareBill W
||`* Re: Nikon's R9. Contrived real LCD is articulation nightmaregeoff
|| `- Re: Nikon's R9. Contrived real LCD is articulation nightmareRichA
|`- Re: Nikon's R9. Contrived real LCD is articulation nightmareEric Stevens
`- Re: Nikon's R9. Contrived real LCD is articulation nightmareEric Stevens

1
Nikon's R9. Contrived real LCD is articulation nightmare

<ecd365a3-1a70-4a35-b09e-2921bc237f3an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10593&group=rec.photo.digital#10593

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 14:52:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Nikon's R9. Contrived real LCD is articulation nightmare
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 21:52 UTC

It's not shown here, but the rear of the LCD is a latticework of little stainless steel rods designed to let the display articulate. Why not just use a
regular hinge on the side with the ability to rotate the display? Much cleaner, less likely to break. Panasonics have it, I've never had an issue getting
a shot angle.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/3905833479/nikon-shares-z9-teaser-video-reveals-the-forthcoming-camera-will-have-dual-articulating-display

Re: Nikon's R9. Contrived real LCD is articulation nightmare

<ddSdnUOWj5qRc8H8nZ2dnUU7-fXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10595&group=rec.photo.digital#10595

Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 13:30:00 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 00:30 UTC

On 6/10/2021 10:52 am, RichA wrote:
> It's not shown here, but the rear of the LCD is a latticework of little stainless steel rods designed to let the display articulate. Why not just use a
> regular hinge on the side with the ability to rotate the display? Much cleaner, less likely to break. Panasonics have it, I've never had an issue getting
> a shot angle.
>
> https://www.dpreview.com/news/3905833479/nikon-shares-z9-teaser-video-reveals-the-forthcoming-camera-will-have-dual-articulating-display

Are you aware of an actual problem with the way Nikon (hey, what would
they know anyway ....) have chosen to implement it ?

geoff

Re: Nikon's R9. Contrived real LCD is articulation nightmare

<6bec4e57-07cf-44b8-8afd-bc3cc5645e92n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10596&group=rec.photo.digital#10596

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 07:53:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 14:53 UTC

On Tuesday, 5 October 2021 at 20:30:11 UTC-4, geoff wrote:
> On 6/10/2021 10:52 am, RichA wrote:
> > It's not shown here, but the rear of the LCD is a latticework of little stainless steel rods designed to let the display articulate. Why not just use a
> > regular hinge on the side with the ability to rotate the display? Much cleaner, less likely to break. Panasonics have it, I've never had an issue getting
> > a shot angle.
> >
> > https://www.dpreview.com/news/3905833479/nikon-shares-z9-teaser-video-reveals-the-forthcoming-camera-will-have-dual-articulating-display
> >
> Are you aware of an actual problem with the way Nikon (hey, what would
> they know anyway ....) have chosen to implement it ?
>
> geoff

Just by looking at it.

Re: Nikon's R9. Contrived real LCD is articulation nightmare

<0001HW.270E011F04FD2B9930E9D938F@news-us.newsgroup.ninja>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10597&group=rec.photo.digital#10597

From: noth...@nowhere.com (Bill W)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 11:06:55 -0500
 by: Bill W - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 16:06 UTC

On Oct 6, 2021, RichA wrote
(in article<6bec4e57-07cf-44b8-8afd-bc3cc5645e92n@googlegroups.com>):

> On Tuesday, 5 October 2021 at 20:30:11 UTC-4, geoff wrote:
> > On 6/10/2021 10:52 am, RichA wrote:
> > > It's not shown here, but the rear of the LCD is a latticework of little
> > > stainless steel rods designed to let the display articulate. Why not just
> > > use a
> > > regular hinge on the side with the ability to rotate the display? Much
> > > cleaner, less likely to break. Panasonics have it, I've never had an issue
> > > getting
> > > a shot angle.
> > >
> > > https://www.dpreview.com/news/3905833479/nikon-shares-z9-teaser-video-revea
> > > ls-the-forthcoming-camera-will-have-dual-articulating-display
> > Are you aware of an actual problem with the way Nikon (hey, what would
> > they know anyway ....) have chosen to implement it ?
> >
> > geoff
>
> Just by looking at it.

How would it be different from the Pentax K1? Don’t you have one of those?

Re: Nikon's R9. Contrived real LCD is articulation nightmare

<OKednVi_DNQSi8P8nZ2dnUU7-RudnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10598&group=rec.photo.digital#10598

Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 10:35:10 +1300
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 21:35 UTC

On 7/10/2021 3:53 am, RichA wrote:
> On Tuesday, 5 October 2021 at 20:30:11 UTC-4, geoff wrote:
>> On 6/10/2021 10:52 am, RichA wrote:
>>> It's not shown here, but the rear of the LCD is a latticework of little stainless steel rods designed to let the display articulate. Why not just use a
>>> regular hinge on the side with the ability to rotate the display? Much cleaner, less likely to break. Panasonics have it, I've never had an issue getting
>>> a shot angle.
>>>
>>> https://www.dpreview.com/news/3905833479/nikon-shares-z9-teaser-video-reveals-the-forthcoming-camera-will-have-dual-articulating-display
>>>
>> Are you aware of an actual problem with the way Nikon (hey, what would
>> they know anyway ....) have chosen to implement it ?
>>
>> geoff
>
> Just by looking at it.

Hardly a great pretext for slamming it then.

And should have looked harder - it's called the Z9 - R9 is a Canon.

geoff

Re: Nikon's R9. Contrived real LCD is articulation nightmare

<b03vlghtodphmnfcnncphoqb4eklqshh6n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10600&group=rec.photo.digital#10600

From: eric.ste...@sum.co.nz (Eric Stevens)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2021 13:09:32 +1300
 by: Eric Stevens - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 00:09 UTC

On Wed, 6 Oct 2021 13:30:00 +1300, geoff <geoff@nospamgeoffwood.org>
wrote:

>On 6/10/2021 10:52 am, RichA wrote:
>> It's not shown here, but the rear of the LCD is a latticework of little stainless steel rods designed to let the display articulate. Why not just use a
>> regular hinge on the side with the ability to rotate the display? Much cleaner, less likely to break. Panasonics have it, I've never had an issue getting
>> a shot angle.
>>
>> https://www.dpreview.com/news/3905833479/nikon-shares-z9-teaser-video-reveals-the-forthcoming-camera-will-have-dual-articulating-display
>>

>Are you aware of an actual problem with the way Nikon (hey, what would
>they know anyway ....) have chosen to implement it ?

I suspect he would not like a conventional plastic assembly either.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Re: Nikon's R9. Contrived real LCD is articulation nightmare

<fa6eff8d-b432-4d1f-bbc4-a6f0ac52d448n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10603&group=rec.photo.digital#10603

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 20:45:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 03:45 UTC

On Wednesday, 6 October 2021 at 17:35:19 UTC-4, geoff wrote:
> On 7/10/2021 3:53 am, RichA wrote:

> >> Are you aware of an actual problem with the way Nikon (hey, what would
> >> they know anyway ....) have chosen to implement it ?
> >>
> >> geoff
> >
> > Just by looking at it.
> >
> Hardly a great pretext for slamming it then.
>
> And should have looked harder - it's called the Z9 - R9 is a Canon.
>
> geoff

Yes, sorry. Canon released their pro model first. One other camera had this kind of complicated system for articulating the LCD, but I can't remember which camera.

Re: Nikon's R9. Contrived real LCD is articulation nightmare

<1dl1mg1q5erb6jka2c475kq97o43ebcnrt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10611&group=rec.photo.digital#10611

From: eric.ste...@sum.co.nz (Eric Stevens)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2021 12:37:22 +1300
 by: Eric Stevens - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 23:37 UTC

On Tue, 5 Oct 2021 14:52:36 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
wrote:

>It's not shown here, but the rear of the LCD is a latticework of little stainless steel rods designed to let the display articulate. Why not just use a
>regular hinge on the side with the ability to rotate the display? Much cleaner, less likely to break. Panasonics have it, I've never had an issue getting
>a shot angle.
>
>https://www.dpreview.com/news/3905833479/nikon-shares-z9-teaser-video-reveals-the-forthcoming-camera-will-have-dual-articulating-display

It's just occurred to me: the rods could easily be titanium. Lighter
and stronger. It's hard to tell the difference from stainless steel.
In any case, the stainless steel should be quite strong and tough
enough if the correct grade has been used.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens