<miguel> any new sendmail hole I have to fix before going on vacations? -- Seen on #Linux

tech / sci.physics.relativity / Re: SOCIAL CONTRACT

SubjectAuthor
* SOCIAL CONTRACTwhodat
`* Re: SOCIAL CONTRACTMaciej Wozniak
 `* Re: SOCIAL CONTRACTRichard Hertz
  +- Re: SOCIAL CONTRACTpatdolan
  `* Re: SOCIAL CONTRACTwhodat
   +- Re: SOCIAL CONTRACTMaciej Wozniak
   `* Re: SOCIAL CONTRACTpatdolan
    +* Re: SOCIAL CONTRACTpatdolan
    |`- Re: SOCIAL CONTRACTwhodat
    `- Re: SOCIAL CONTRACTwhodat

1
SOCIAL CONTRACT

<k4jsiiFfdnU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=106077&group=sci.physics.relativity#106077

From: whod...@void.nowgre.com (whodat)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Subject: SOCIAL CONTRACT
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 03:26:37 -0600
 by: whodat - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 09:26 UTC

If you are an adult in this world and do not know about
as well as completely understand SOCIAL CONTRACT then you
had better go read about it right now, not tomorrow or
when it is convenient, right now.

Not knowing the name is ok so long as you know the concept.

BTW, not living by it is "evil." While I have mentioned
Dewey that's only because he was such an influence on
modern American education. The principles are ancient.

<https://www.google.com/search?q=social+contract&client=firefox-b-1-d&ei=3bXkY4SoJbqfptQP-_GP6AU&ved=0ahUKEwjEirPAiYj9AhW6j4kEHfv4A10Q4dUDCA4&uact=5&oq=social+contract&gs_lcp=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&sclient=gws-wiz-serp>

Re: SOCIAL CONTRACT

<4a56f919-04c4-45ef-ab7a-ac7811b7364cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=106080&group=sci.physics.relativity#106080

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 01:41:43 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: SOCIAL CONTRACT
From: maluwozn...@gmail.com (Maciej Wozniak)
 by: Maciej Wozniak - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 09:41 UTC

On Thursday, 9 February 2023 at 10:26:45 UTC+1, whodat wrote:
> If you are an adult in this world and do not know about
> as well as completely understand SOCIAL CONTRACT then you
> had better go read about it right now, not tomorrow or
> when it is convenient, right now.
>
> Not knowing the name is ok so long as you know the concept.
>
> BTW, not living by it is "evil." While I have mentioned
> Dewey that's only because he was such an influence on
> modern American education. The principles are ancient.

A contract, indeed. A "good" contract you can't refuse.

Re: SOCIAL CONTRACT

<3e01f916-0129-40e7-ae6f-c9b83ae7c474n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=106096&group=sci.physics.relativity#106096

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 08:15:18 -0800 (PST)
From: hertz...@gmail.com (Richard Hertz)
 by: Richard Hertz - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 16:15 UTC

On Thursday, February 9, 2023 at 6:42:47 AM UTC-3, maluw...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, 9 February 2023 at 10:26:45 UTC+1, whodat wrote:
> > If you are an adult in this world and do not know about
> > as well as completely understand SOCIAL CONTRACT then you
> > had better go read about it right now, not tomorrow or
> > when it is convenient, right now.
> >
> > Not knowing the name is ok so long as you know the concept.
> >
> > BTW, not living by it is "evil." While I have mentioned
> > Dewey that's only because he was such an influence on
> > modern American education. The principles are ancient.
> A contract, indeed. A "good" contract you can't refuse.

Social contracts are evolutionary in Western "McDonald's" societies, but NOT in a good way,

Internet and social media are killing what's left of decency, compassion and good will. Hedonism, consumerism and
gender choice (kids, adults) are the paradigms by now in the decadent "industrialized world".

Even tribal "social contracts" are evolving for the worse, as "civilization" pushes its borders.

Re: SOCIAL CONTRACT

<68e61521-ee1e-4bfa-af47-ad33dba7a09an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=106106&group=sci.physics.relativity#106106

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 09:55:56 -0800 (PST)
From: patdo...@comcast.net (patdolan)
 by: patdolan - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 17:55 UTC

On Thursday, February 9, 2023 at 8:15:20 AM UTC-8, Richard Hertz wrote:
> On Thursday, February 9, 2023 at 6:42:47 AM UTC-3, maluw...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Thursday, 9 February 2023 at 10:26:45 UTC+1, whodat wrote:
> > > If you are an adult in this world and do not know about
> > > as well as completely understand SOCIAL CONTRACT then you
> > > had better go read about it right now, not tomorrow or
> > > when it is convenient, right now.
> > >
> > > Not knowing the name is ok so long as you know the concept.
> > >
> > > BTW, not living by it is "evil." While I have mentioned
> > > Dewey that's only because he was such an influence on
> > > modern American education. The principles are ancient.
> > A contract, indeed. A "good" contract you can't refuse.
> Social contracts are evolutionary in Western "McDonald's" societies, but NOT in a good way,
>
> Internet and social media are killing what's left of decency, compassion and good will. Hedonism, consumerism and
> gender choice (kids, adults) are the paradigms by now in the decadent "industrialized world".
>
> Even tribal "social contracts" are evolving for the worse, as "civilization" pushes its borders.
Hobbes' version of the SC is more reflective of real politique and worth a read. I've always had a fondness for Hobbes and for Mac.

Re: SOCIAL CONTRACT

<k4kqn3F5528U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=106107&group=sci.physics.relativity#106107

From: whod...@void.nowgre.com (whodat)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 12:01:02 -0600
 by: whodat - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 18:01 UTC

On 2/9/2023 10:15 AM, Richard Hertz wrote:
> On Thursday, February 9, 2023 at 6:42:47 AM UTC-3, maluw...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Thursday, 9 February 2023 at 10:26:45 UTC+1, whodat wrote:
>>> If you are an adult in this world and do not know about
>>> as well as completely understand SOCIAL CONTRACT then you
>>> had better go read about it right now, not tomorrow or
>>> when it is convenient, right now.
>>>
>>> Not knowing the name is ok so long as you know the concept.
>>>
>>> BTW, not living by it is "evil." While I have mentioned
>>> Dewey that's only because he was such an influence on
>>> modern American education. The principles are ancient.
>> A contract, indeed. A "good" contract you can't refuse.
>
> Social contracts are evolutionary in Western "McDonald's" societies, but NOT in a good way,
>
> Internet and social media are killing what's left of decency, compassion and good will. Hedonism, consumerism and
> gender choice (kids, adults) are the paradigms by now in the decadent "industrialized world".
>
> Even tribal "social contracts" are evolving for the worse, as "civilization" pushes its borders.

That's true of a small subset of society. In early
hunter-gatherer days protohumans and early humans
were, perhaps by necessity, a violent and greedy
bunch. Until we were "well off" by comparison to our
early ancestors, "social contract" wasn't possible in
the face of survival of the individual.

You just gave a great example of why "cranks" like you
fail to make headway. It is easy to find fault with
ideas when you only deal with a subset. The true test
of any idea is how well or poorly it works where the
rubber meets the road in a full or appreciable sampling.

Because there's actually no harm done by the lunatical
antics of participants on social media, so many marginally
sane or even completely insane are drawn to it. If you
look only at places like this one you cannot draw any
legitimate conclusions avout society in general.

Two of the greatest humanitarians of the 20th cenury did
not arrive in McDonald's territory, Ghandi and Mother
Theresa, nor did a possible future contender, Pope Francis.

Re: SOCIAL CONTRACT

<5929697d-97fc-4621-b875-1e9c1193d206n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=106111&group=sci.physics.relativity#106111

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 10:35:35 -0800 (PST)
From: maluwozn...@gmail.com (Maciej Wozniak)
 by: Maciej Wozniak - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 18:35 UTC

On Thursday, 9 February 2023 at 19:01:11 UTC+1, whodat wrote:

> You just gave a great example of why "cranks" like you
> fail to make headway. It is easy to find fault with
> ideas when you only deal with a subset. The true test
> of any idea is how well or poorly it works where the
> rubber meets the road in a full or appreciable sampling.
>
> Because there's actually no harm done by the lunatical
> antics of participants on social media, so many marginally
> sane or even completely insane are drawn to it.

If there weren't - you wouldn't bark at them so
fiercely.

Re: SOCIAL CONTRACT

<4e8a083e-093b-4229-a9dd-37d714376c01n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=106112&group=sci.physics.relativity#106112

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 11:11:15 -0800 (PST)
From: patdo...@comcast.net (patdolan)
 by: patdolan - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 19:11 UTC

On Thursday, February 9, 2023 at 10:01:11 AM UTC-8, whodat wrote:
> On 2/9/2023 10:15 AM, Richard Hertz wrote:

> >> A contract, indeed. A "good" contract you can't refuse.
> >
> > Social contracts are evolutionary in Western "McDonald's" societies, but NOT in a good way,
> >
> > Internet and social media are killing what's left of decency, compassion and good will. Hedonism, consumerism and
> > gender choice (kids, adults) are the paradigms by now in the decadent "industrialized world".
> >
> > Even tribal "social contracts" are evolving for the worse, as "civilization" pushes its borders.
> That's true of a small subset of society. In early
> hunter-gatherer days protohumans and early humans
> were, perhaps by necessity, a violent and greedy
> bunch. Until we were "well off" by comparison to our
> early ancestors, "social contract" wasn't possible in
> the face of survival of the individual.
>
> You just gave a great example of why "cranks" like you
> fail to make headway. It is easy to find fault with
> ideas when you only deal with a subset. The true test
> of any idea is how well or poorly it works where the
> rubber meets the road in a full or appreciable sampling.
>
> Because there's actually no harm done by the lunatical
> antics of participants on social media, so many marginally
> sane or even completely insane are drawn to it. If you
> look only at places like this one you cannot draw any
> legitimate conclusions avout society in general.
>
> Two of the greatest humanitarians of the 20th cenury did
> not arrive in McDonald's territory, Ghandi and Mother
> Theresa, nor did a possible future contender, Pope Francis.
trudat, you phool. Phoolish Phrancis questioned the Christian credentials of the man who is responsible (with his Supreme Court picks) for ending federally protected abortion in the USA--something that phiphty years of popes were unable to accomplish.

Re: SOCIAL CONTRACT

<847aceca-62dc-4067-8411-9229a468dc19n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=106113&group=sci.physics.relativity#106113

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 11:17:57 -0800 (PST)
From: patdo...@comcast.net (patdolan)
 by: patdolan - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 19:17 UTC

On Thursday, February 9, 2023 at 11:11:17 AM UTC-8, patdolan wrote:
> On Thursday, February 9, 2023 at 10:01:11 AM UTC-8, whodat wrote:

> > > Social contracts are evolutionary in Western "McDonald's" societies, but NOT in a good way,
> > >
> > > Internet and social media are killing what's left of decency, compassion and good will. Hedonism, consumerism and
> > > gender choice (kids, adults) are the paradigms by now in the decadent "industrialized world".
> > >
> > > Even tribal "social contracts" are evolving for the worse, as "civilization" pushes its borders.
> > That's true of a small subset of society. In early
> > hunter-gatherer days protohumans and early humans
> > were, perhaps by necessity, a violent and greedy
> > bunch. Until we were "well off" by comparison to our
> > early ancestors, "social contract" wasn't possible in
> > the face of survival of the individual.
> >
> > You just gave a great example of why "cranks" like you
> > fail to make headway. It is easy to find fault with
> > ideas when you only deal with a subset. The true test
> > of any idea is how well or poorly it works where the
> > rubber meets the road in a full or appreciable sampling.
> >
> > Because there's actually no harm done by the lunatical
> > antics of participants on social media, so many marginally
> > sane or even completely insane are drawn to it. If you
> > look only at places like this one you cannot draw any
> > legitimate conclusions avout society in general.
> >
> > Two of the greatest humanitarians of the 20th cenury did
> > not arrive in McDonald's territory, Ghandi and Mother
> > Theresa, nor did a possible future contender, Pope Francis.
> trudat, you phool. Phoolish Phrancis questioned the Christian credentials of the man who is responsible (with his Supreme Court picks) for ending federally protected abortion in the USA--something that phiphty years of popes were unable to accomplish.
Phoolish Francis also clearly favored abortionist Biden over Trump in 2020 which made Putin's decision to invade Ukraine an easy one.

"Vlad, if you go into Ukraine I'll hit Moscow"-- The Donald, 2017

Re: SOCIAL CONTRACT

<k4l7r4F7c0pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=106116&group=sci.physics.relativity#106116

From: whod...@void.nowgre.com (whodat)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 15:45:03 -0600
 by: whodat - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 21:45 UTC

On 2/9/2023 1:11 PM, patdolan wrote:
> On Thursday, February 9, 2023 at 10:01:11 AM UTC-8, whodat wrote:

>>> Social contracts are evolutionary in Western "McDonald's" societies, but NOT in a good way,
>>>
>>> Internet and social media are killing what's left of decency, compassion and good will. Hedonism, consumerism and
>>> gender choice (kids, adults) are the paradigms by now in the decadent "industrialized world".
>>>
>>> Even tribal "social contracts" are evolving for the worse, as "civilization" pushes its borders.
>> That's true of a small subset of society. In early
>> hunter-gatherer days protohumans and early humans
>> were, perhaps by necessity, a violent and greedy
>> bunch. Until we were "well off" by comparison to our
>> early ancestors, "social contract" wasn't possible in
>> the face of survival of the individual.
>>
>> You just gave a great example of why "cranks" like you
>> fail to make headway. It is easy to find fault with
>> ideas when you only deal with a subset. The true test
>> of any idea is how well or poorly it works where the
>> rubber meets the road in a full or appreciable sampling.
>>
>> Because there's actually no harm done by the lunatical
>> antics of participants on social media, so many marginally
>> sane or even completely insane are drawn to it. If you
>> look only at places like this one you cannot draw any
>> legitimate conclusions avout society in general.
>>
>> Two of the greatest humanitarians of the 20th cenury did
>> not arrive in McDonald's territory, Ghandi and Mother
>> Theresa, nor did a possible future contender, Pope Francis.
> trudat, you phool. Phoolish Phrancis questioned the Christian credentials of the man who is responsible (with his Supreme Court picks) for ending federally protected abortion in the USA--something that phiphty years of popes were unable to accomplish.

Its a real bitch when an enemy of yours turns out to be a surprisingly
good guy.

Re: SOCIAL CONTRACT

<k4l8bpF7c0pU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=106117&group=sci.physics.relativity#106117

From: whod...@void.nowgre.com (whodat)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 15:53:56 -0600
 by: whodat - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 21:53 UTC

On 2/9/2023 1:17 PM, patdolan wrote:
> On Thursday, February 9, 2023 at 11:11:17 AM UTC-8, patdolan wrote:

>>> That's true of a small subset of society. In early
>>> hunter-gatherer days protohumans and early humans
>>> were, perhaps by necessity, a violent and greedy
>>> bunch. Until we were "well off" by comparison to our
>>> early ancestors, "social contract" wasn't possible in
>>> the face of survival of the individual.
>>>
>>> You just gave a great example of why "cranks" like you
>>> fail to make headway. It is easy to find fault with
>>> ideas when you only deal with a subset. The true test
>>> of any idea is how well or poorly it works where the
>>> rubber meets the road in a full or appreciable sampling.
>>>
>>> Because there's actually no harm done by the lunatical
>>> antics of participants on social media, so many marginally
>>> sane or even completely insane are drawn to it. If you
>>> look only at places like this one you cannot draw any
>>> legitimate conclusions avout society in general.
>>>
>>> Two of the greatest humanitarians of the 20th cenury did
>>> not arrive in McDonald's territory, Ghandi and Mother
>>> Theresa, nor did a possible future contender, Pope Francis.
>> trudat, you phool. Phoolish Phrancis questioned the Christian credentials of the man who is responsible (with his Supreme Court picks) for ending federally protected abortion in the USA--something that phiphty years of popes were unable to accomplish.

> Phoolish Francis also clearly favored abortionist Biden over Trump in 2020 which made Putin's decision to invade Ukraine an easy one.

You have a strange way of demonstrating Starmaker's reluctance to
recognize evil when it jumps right into your face. Destruction of
an existing human life because of inconvenience is right up there
with the worse of human behaviors. With you at the helm Starmaker
can and should retire.

> "Vlad, if you go into Ukraine I'll hit Moscow"-- The Donald, 2017

Want some goalposts moved folks, here's your guy for that.