Often statistics are used as a drunken man uses lampposts -- for support rather than illumination.

tech / rec.photo.digital / Never underestimate the stupidity of the average person

SubjectAuthor
* Never underestimate the stupidity of the average personRichA
+* Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average personnewshound
|`* Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average person-hh
| +* Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average personRichA
| |`* Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average person-hh
| | `* Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average personWhisky-dave
| |  `* Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average person-hh
| |   `* Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average personKen Hart
| |    `- Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average personAlfred Molon
| `* Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average personGordon Freeman
|  `* Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average personWhisky-dave
|   `* Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average personGordon Freeman
|    `- Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average personWhisky-dave
`* Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average personMountain Magpie
 `* Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average personRichA
  `- Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average personSavageduck

1
Never underestimate the stupidity of the average person

<a1b0affd-c7a2-43f4-a70c-fcaea5837c23n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10628&group=rec.photo.digital#10628

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 01:05:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average person
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Tue, 12 Oct 2021 08:05 UTC

https://petapixel.com/2021/10/11/mans-vintage-camera-mistaken-for-bomb-causes-emergency-landing/

Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average person

<7vidnWgRc5w30Pj8nZ2dnUU78IWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10629&group=rec.photo.digital#10629

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: newsho...@stevejqr.plus.com (newshound)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 09:56:10 +0100
 by: newshound - Tue, 12 Oct 2021 08:56 UTC

On 12/10/2021 09:05, RichA wrote:
> https://petapixel.com/2021/10/11/mans-vintage-camera-mistaken-for-bomb-causes-emergency-landing/

I'd love to know what camera it was. Roleiflex perhaps?

Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average person

<ce03d27a-a15b-4711-a76c-25ccc1fa8db5n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10630&group=rec.photo.digital#10630

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 04:23:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: recscuba...@huntzinger.com (-hh)
 by: -hh - Tue, 12 Oct 2021 11:23 UTC

On Tuesday, October 12, 2021 at 4:56:13 AM UTC-4, newshound wrote:
> On 12/10/2021 09:05, RichA wrote:
> > https://petapixel.com/2021/10/11/mans-vintage-camera-mistaken-for-bomb-causes-emergency-landing/
>
> I'd love to know what camera it was. Roleiflex perhaps?

Same. There weren't any photos of said "device" in the article. Didn't notice any
mention of what I'd heard in the news on the day of, namely that the gentleman
was allegedly manifesting 'odd' behavior (too many trips to the bathroom?).

In any event, it is an example of how RichA is having unrealistic expectations for
the knowledge of regular folk, namely for everyone to be well versed in a specialty
(and antiques thereof would be a niche) technology, particularly when seen out
of their normal context.

Case in point, I can probably go pull a dozen different pieces of equipment out of
the lab at work that aren't immediately recognizable to the general public for lab
instrumentation/etc, so in the context of "futzing around" with them while onboard
a commercial flight would be completely harmless but get everyone else nervous.

If it was 21+ years ago, a neighboring passenger might strike up a "whats that?"
conversation and this would prevent any escalation. Perhaps even pre-CoVid,
just not having a mask on (& subsequent discouragement of conversations) may
have sufficed too...although we'd want to back that off by -5 years to also get rid
of all of the MAGA induced antisocial attitudes & predispositions to violence too.

-hh

Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average person

<d4683a2a-64a1-45b6-a32f-89d676bc796bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10635&group=rec.photo.digital#10635

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 18:24:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 01:24 UTC

On Tuesday, 12 October 2021 at 07:23:53 UTC-4, -hh wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 12, 2021 at 4:56:13 AM UTC-4, newshound wrote:
> > On 12/10/2021 09:05, RichA wrote:
> > > https://petapixel.com/2021/10/11/mans-vintage-camera-mistaken-for-bomb-causes-emergency-landing/
> >
> > I'd love to know what camera it was. Roleiflex perhaps?
> Same. There weren't any photos of said "device" in the article. Didn't notice any
> mention of what I'd heard in the news on the day of, namely that the gentleman
> was allegedly manifesting 'odd' behavior (too many trips to the bathroom?).
>
> In any event, it is an example of how RichA is having unrealistic expectations for
> the knowledge of regular folk, namely for everyone to be well versed in a specialty
> (and antiques thereof would be a niche) technology, particularly when seen out
> of their normal context.
>
> Case in point, I can probably go pull a dozen different pieces of equipment out of
> the lab at work that aren't immediately recognizable to the general public for lab
> instrumentation/etc, so in the context of "futzing around" with them while onboard
> a commercial flight would be completely harmless but get everyone else nervous.
>
> If it was 21+ years ago, a neighboring passenger might strike up a "whats that?"
> conversation and this would prevent any escalation. Perhaps even pre-CoVid,
> just not having a mask on (& subsequent discouragement of conversations) may
> have sufficed too...although we'd want to back that off by -5 years to also get rid
> of all of the MAGA induced antisocial attitudes & predispositions to violence too.
>

> -hh

Lab equipment isn't a camera. Lots of lab equipment is highly esoteric. But cameras are pretty identifiable. Maybe the guy pulled the film-back release and they thought it was a grenade?

Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average person

<isn1q1Fkg6oU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10637&group=rec.photo.digital#10637

From: Leu...@blue.mountains.org (Mountain Magpie)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 03:22:31 -0000
 by: Mountain Magpie - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 03:22 UTC

On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 01:05:49 -0700 (PDT), RichA posted:-

> https://petapixel.com/2021/10/11/mans-vintage-camera-mistaken-for-bomb-causes-emergency-landing/

LOL Check that fat toad in the CNN clip there. Too many cheeseburgers.

Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average person

<0684e5f4-c246-4983-bd4a-84bbdd90707cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10650&group=rec.photo.digital#10650

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 14:32:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: recscuba...@huntzinger.com (-hh)
 by: -hh - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 21:32 UTC

On Tuesday, October 12, 2021 at 9:24:04 PM UTC-4, RichA wrote:
> On Tuesday, 12 October 2021 at 07:23:53 UTC-4, -hh wrote:
> > >
> > > I'd love to know what camera it was. Roleiflex perhaps?
> > Same. There weren't any photos of said "device" in the article. Didn't notice any
> > mention of what I'd heard in the news on the day of, namely that the gentleman
> > was allegedly manifesting 'odd' behavior (too many trips to the bathroom?).
> >
> > In any event, it is an example of how RichA is having unrealistic expectations for
> > the knowledge of regular folk, namely for everyone to be well versed in a specialty
> > (and antiques thereof would be a niche) technology, particularly when seen out
> > of their normal context.
> >
> > Case in point, I can probably go pull a dozen different pieces of equipment out of
> > the lab at work that aren't immediately recognizable to the general public for lab
> > instrumentation/etc, so in the context of "futzing around" with them while onboard
> > a commercial flight would be completely harmless but get everyone else nervous.
> >
> > If it was 21+ years ago, a neighboring passenger might strike up a "whats that?"
> > conversation and this would prevent any escalation. Perhaps even pre-CoVid,
> > just not having a mask on (& subsequent discouragement of conversations) may
> > have sufficed too...although we'd want to back that off by -5 years to also get rid
> > of all of the MAGA induced antisocial attitudes & predispositions to violence too.
> >

> Lab equipment isn't a camera. Lots of lab equipment is highly esoteric.

Some of the lab gear are cameras which an average joe probably wouldn’t
recognize as a camera.

> But cameras are pretty identifiable.

Over the past 100 years? Not really. Witness how there’s people today who don’t
know how to dial a rotary dial telephone already, despite how similar they still are
to modern touch pad phones.

>Maybe the guy pulled the film-back release and they thought it was a grenade?

Older cameras in particular have lots of little user-accessible metal parts to
fiddle around with…and invariably, they’re also “tactical black” in coloration.
Heck, I probably still have a personal camera or two in my own gear pile that
you’re probably unable of properly setting up & operating, and your attempts
to do so would have pretty good odds of causing permanent damage.

-hh

Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average person

<6c91026b-6af6-4c49-8a55-850d953b7007n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10663&group=rec.photo.digital#10663

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 06:16:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: whisky.d...@gmail.com (Whisky-dave)
 by: Whisky-dave - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 13:16 UTC

On Wednesday, 13 October 2021 at 22:32:56 UTC+1, -hh wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 12, 2021 at 9:24:04 PM UTC-4, RichA wrote:

> > > Same. There weren't any photos of said "device" in the article. Didn't notice any
> > > mention of what I'd heard in the news on the day of, namely that the gentleman
> > > was allegedly manifesting 'odd' behavior (too many trips to the bathroom?).
> > >
> > > In any event, it is an example of how RichA is having unrealistic expectations for
> > > the knowledge of regular folk, namely for everyone to be well versed in a specialty
> > > (and antiques thereof would be a niche) technology, particularly when seen out
> > > of their normal context.
> > >
> > > Case in point, I can probably go pull a dozen different pieces of equipment out of
> > > the lab at work that aren't immediately recognizable to the general public for lab
> > > instrumentation/etc, so in the context of "futzing around" with them while onboard
> > > a commercial flight would be completely harmless but get everyone else nervous.
> > >
> > > If it was 21+ years ago, a neighboring passenger might strike up a "whats that?"
> > > conversation and this would prevent any escalation. Perhaps even pre-CoVid,
> > > just not having a mask on (& subsequent discouragement of conversations) may
> > > have sufficed too...although we'd want to back that off by -5 years to also get rid
> > > of all of the MAGA induced antisocial attitudes & predispositions to violence too.
> > >

> > Lab equipment isn't a camera. Lots of lab equipment is highly esoteric.
> Some of the lab gear are cameras which an average joe probably wouldn’t
> recognize as a camera.
> > But cameras are pretty identifiable.
> Over the past 100 years? Not really. Witness how there’s people today who don’t
> know how to dial a rotary dial telephone already, despite how similar they still are
> to modern touch pad phones.
> >Maybe the guy pulled the film-back release and they thought it was a grenade?
> Older cameras in particular have lots of little user-accessible metal parts to
> fiddle around with…and invariably, they’re also “tactical black” in coloration.
> Heck, I probably still have a personal camera or two in my own gear pile that
> you’re probably unable of properly setting up & operating, and your attempts
> to do so would have pretty good odds of causing permanent damage.
>
> -hh

Did you know that the handle of the star wars light sabre is actually a flash gun
handle support from a 1950s flash bulb .

https://petapixel.com/2017/02/14/antique-camera-flash-became-iconic-star-wars-prop/

So don't go waving your vintage flash gun holder on a plane :-)

Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average person

<19998570-3526-4952-bd9d-369c4856850cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10666&group=rec.photo.digital#10666

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 06:50:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: recscuba...@huntzinger.com (-hh)
 by: -hh - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 13:50 UTC

On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 9:16:34 AM UTC-4, Whisky-dave wrote:
> On Wednesday, 13 October 2021 at 22:32:56 UTC+1, -hh wrote:

> > > Lab equipment isn't a camera. Lots of lab equipment is highly esoteric.
> >
> > Some of the lab gear are cameras which an average joe probably wouldn’t
> > recognize as a camera.
> >
> > > But cameras are pretty identifiable.
> >
> > Over the past 100 years? Not really. Witness how there’s people today who don’t
> > know how to dial a rotary dial telephone already, despite how similar they still are
> > to modern touch pad phones.
> > >Maybe the guy pulled the film-back release and they thought it was a grenade?
> > Older cameras in particular have lots of little user-accessible metal parts to
> > fiddle around with…and invariably, they’re also “tactical black” in coloration.
> > Heck, I probably still have a personal camera or two in my own gear pile that
> > you’re probably unable of properly setting up & operating, and your attempts
> > to do so would have pretty good odds of causing permanent damage.
>

> Did you know that the handle of the star wars light sabre is actually a flash gun
> handle support from a 1950s flash bulb .
>
> https://petapixel.com/2017/02/14/antique-camera-flash-became-iconic-star-wars-prop/

By happenstance coincidence, yes: it was featured on an episode of "Antiques Road Show".

<https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/graflex-camera-and-flash-on-antiques-roadshow.329005/>

> So don't go waving your vintage flash gun holder on a plane :-)

There's plenty of things that one shouldn't go waving around on a commercial airline flight
these days, as times have changed: I can recall a trip many, many moons ago where I was
hand-carrying a 25ft long custom cable on the Laguardia-to-Boston shuttle.... I didn't even
have a bag for it .. just had it slung over my shoulder & walked through security & onboard.
In the '80s, a coworker got stopped hand-carrying machine gun barrels .. on his ~6th roundtrip.

-hh

Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average person

<XnsADC4215F823F4C9A7@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10681&group=rec.photo.digital#10681

From: Gor...@freeman.invalid (Gordon Freeman)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 02:16:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gordon Freeman - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 02:16 UTC

-hh <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 12, 2021 at 4:56:13 AM UTC-4, newshound wrote:
>> On 12/10/2021 09:05, RichA wrote:
>> > https://petapixel.com/2021/10/11/mans-vintage-camera-mistaken-for-bo
>> > mb-causes-emergency-landing/
>>
>> I'd love to know what camera it was. Roleiflex perhaps?
>
> Same. There weren't any photos of said "device" in the article.
> Didn't notice any mention of what I'd heard in the news on the day of,
> namely that the gentleman was allegedly manifesting 'odd' behavior
> (too many trips to the bathroom?).

He was using it as a darkroom, it was probably the sight of him carrying
a changing bag, film tank and bottles of chemicals into the toilet that
aroused suspicions more than the Box Brownie he was using.

Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average person

<d7734034-c4bf-46f8-8fdc-7f387f18a02bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10689&group=rec.photo.digital#10689

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 05:15:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: whisky.d...@gmail.com (Whisky-dave)
 by: Whisky-dave - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 12:15 UTC

On Friday, 15 October 2021 at 03:16:52 UTC+1, Gordon Freeman wrote:
> -hh <recscub...@huntzinger.com> wrote:

> >> I'd love to know what camera it was. Roleiflex perhaps?
> >
> > Same. There weren't any photos of said "device" in the article.
> > Didn't notice any mention of what I'd heard in the news on the day of,
> > namely that the gentleman was allegedly manifesting 'odd' behavior
> > (too many trips to the bathroom?).
> He was using it as a darkroom, it was probably the sight of him carrying
> a changing bag, film tank and bottles of chemicals into the toilet that
> aroused suspicions more than the Box Brownie he was using.

Are you saying peopleare allowed to take chemicals on to the plane I thought liquids of more than ~70ml were banned.

How would he have managed temperature, and how do you use a planes toilet in an plan, there's not much space in them.

Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average person

<XnsADC4C61A37F24C9A7@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10696&group=rec.photo.digital#10696

From: Gor...@freeman.invalid (Gordon Freeman)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 18:28:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gordon Freeman - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 18:28 UTC

Whisky-dave <whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, 15 October 2021 at 03:16:52 UTC+1, Gordon Freeman wrote:
>> -hh <recscub...@huntzinger.com> wrote:

>> > Same. There weren't any photos of said "device" in the article.
>> > Didn't notice any mention of what I'd heard in the news on the day
>> > of, namely that the gentleman was allegedly manifesting 'odd'
>> > behavior (too many trips to the bathroom?).
>> He was using it as a darkroom, it was probably the sight of him
>> carrying a changing bag, film tank and bottles of chemicals into the
>> toilet that aroused suspicions more than the Box Brownie he was
>> using.
>
> Are you saying peopleare allowed to take chemicals on to the plane
> I thought liquids of more than ~70ml were banned.
>
> How would he have managed temperature, and how do you use a planes
> toilet in an plan, there's not much space in them.

I once had to use a wardrobe as a darkroom, it's probably about the same
space and at least there's running water in a toilet.

Anyway, ordinary film is not too bad, but forget daguerrotypes - mercury
isn't allowed on planes! Daguerrotypists were allowed on hot air
balloons but never planes AFAIK.

Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average person

<skcrsf$1tqb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10697&group=rec.photo.digital#10697

From: kwha...@centurylink.net (Ken Hart)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 17:29:51 -0400
 by: Ken Hart - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 21:29 UTC

On 10/14/21 9:50 AM, -hh wrote:
> On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 9:16:34 AM UTC-4, Whisky-dave wrote:

>>> Some of the lab gear are cameras which an average joe probably wouldn’t
>>> recognize as a camera.

>>> Over the past 100 years? Not really. Witness how there’s people today who don’t
>>> know how to dial a rotary dial telephone already, despite how similar they still are
>>> to modern touch pad phones.
>>> Older cameras in particular have lots of little user-accessible metal parts to
>>> fiddle around with…and invariably, they’re also “tactical black” in coloration.
>>> Heck, I probably still have a personal camera or two in my own gear pile that
>>> you’re probably unable of properly setting up & operating, and your attempts
>>> to do so would have pretty good odds of causing permanent damage.
>>

>> Did you know that the handle of the star wars light sabre is actually a flash gun
>> handle support from a 1950s flash bulb .
>>
>> https://petapixel.com/2017/02/14/antique-camera-flash-became-iconic-star-wars-prop/
>
> By happenstance coincidence, yes: it was featured on an episode of "Antiques Road Show".
>
> <https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/graflex-camera-and-flash-on-antiques-roadshow.329005/>
>

>> So don't go waving your vintage flash gun holder on a plane :-)
>
> There's plenty of things that one shouldn't go waving around on a commercial airline flight
> these days, as times have changed: I can recall a trip many, many moons ago where I was
> hand-carrying a 25ft long custom cable on the Laguardia-to-Boston shuttle... I didn't even
> have a bag for it .. just had it slung over my shoulder & walked through security & onboard.
> In the '80s, a coworker got stopped hand-carrying machine gun barrels .. on his ~6th roundtrip.
>

> -hh

Years ago, I bought a 1200mm f/11 Canon FL-mount lens from an auction
house in Germany. They shipped it to me via Fedex. I got a call from the
local Fedex depot that they had my package, and needed some info before
they would release it. Fedex at some point had x-rayed it and thought it
looked like a LAWS (Light-Anti-Tank-Weapons-System) rocket. I had to
come to the depot and claim it in person. After showing them ID,
including a passport, they took me to a concrete block room with a heavy
door and small window. They stood outside while I opened the package and
showed them how the lens mounted onto the camera I brought with me.

Of course it would be a bit difficult to wave that lens around in an
airplane passenger compartment.

--
Ken Hart
kwhart1@centurylink.net

Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average person

<dba2b86d-c75e-4472-8b1c-ef52e75a5f54n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10698&group=rec.photo.digital#10698

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 15:15:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 22:15 UTC

On Tuesday, 12 October 2021 at 23:23:49 UTC-4, Mountain Magpie wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 01:05:49 -0700 (PDT), RichA posted:-
>
> > https://petapixel.com/2021/10/11/mans-vintage-camera-mistaken-for-bomb-causes-emergency-landing/
> >

> LOL Check that fat toad in the CNN clip there. Too many cheeseburgers.

Ever seen a cruise ship taking on passengers in the Carolinas? EVERYONE is FAT!!

Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average person

<0001HW.271A447701F7960470000DAA938F@news.giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10699&group=rec.photo.digital#10699

Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 16:21:27 -0700
From: savagedu...@{REMOVESPAM}me.com (Savageduck)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
 by: Savageduck - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 23:21 UTC

On Oct 15, 2021, RichA wrote
(in article<dba2b86d-c75e-4472-8b1c-ef52e75a5f54n@googlegroups.com>):

> On Tuesday, 12 October 2021 at 23:23:49 UTC-4, Mountain Magpie wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 01:05:49 -0700 (PDT), RichA posted:-
> >
> > > https://petapixel.com/2021/10/11/mans-vintage-camera-mistaken-for-bomb-causes-emergency-landing/
> >
> > LOL Check that fat toad in the CNN clip there. Too many cheeseburgers.
>
> Ever seen a cruise ship taking on passengers in the Carolinas? EVERYONE is FAT!!

When was the last time you were in the Carolinas to observe passengers boarding a cruise ship?

--
Regards,
Savageduck

Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average person

<mHzaJ.522786$ZXL.405869@fx09.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10700&group=rec.photo.digital#10700

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: alfred_m...@yahoo.com (Alfred Molon)
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 14:36:34 +0200
 by: Alfred Molon - Sat, 16 Oct 2021 12:36 UTC

Am 15.10.2021 um 23:29 schrieb Ken Hart:
> Years ago, I bought a 1200mm f/11 Canon FL-mount lens from an auction
> house in Germany. They shipped it to me via Fedex. I got a call from the
> local Fedex depot that they had my package, and needed some info before
> they would release it. Fedex at some point had x-rayed it and thought it
> looked like a LAWS (Light-Anti-Tank-Weapons-System) rocket. I had to
> come to the depot and claim it in person. After showing them ID,
> including a passport, they took me to a concrete block room with a heavy
> door and small window. They stood outside while I opened the package and
> showed them how the lens mounted onto the camera I brought with me.
>
> Of course it would be a bit difficult to wave that lens around in an
> airplane passenger compartment.

You should try using that lens near an airport to take pictures of planes.
--
Alfred Molon

Olympus 4/3 and micro 4/3 cameras forum at
https://groups.io/g/myolympus
https://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site

Re: Never underestimate the stupidity of the average person

<1b9ba99a-435d-4d63-9d52-a5ec176c6fbfn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10707&group=rec.photo.digital#10707

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 05:38:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: whisky.d...@gmail.com (Whisky-dave)
 by: Whisky-dave - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 12:38 UTC

On Friday, 15 October 2021 at 19:28:27 UTC+1, Gordon Freeman wrote:
> Whisky-dave <whisk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> He was using it as a darkroom, it was probably the sight of him
> >> carrying a changing bag, film tank and bottles of chemicals into the
> >> toilet that aroused suspicions more than the Box Brownie he was
> >> using.
> >
> > Are you saying peopleare allowed to take chemicals on to the plane
> > I thought liquids of more than ~70ml were banned.
> >
> > How would he have managed temperature, and how do you use a planes
> > toilet in an plan, there's not much space in them.
> I once had to use a wardrobe as a darkroom, it's probably about the same
> space and at least there's running water in a toilet.

my point was I don;t think airline componies would allow you to use any of their toilets
as a darkroom not even those on the ground, and as they didn't charge him with anything
as he wasn;t doing anything wrong.

> Anyway, ordinary film is not too bad, but forget daguerrotypes - mercury
> isn't allowed on planes! Daguerrotypists were allowed on hot air
> balloons but never planes AFAIK.

I went to a nightclub on saturday, and they frisk you for drink, drugs weapons etc.
and I just said if I want a free drink I'll drink the hand sanitizer you provide for free.
I forgot the doorman couldn't see me smile while I was wearing a mask though.
I go in anyway.