tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: OT: Covid infection and increased chance of neurological disorder

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Covid infection and increased chance of neurological disorderDon Y
+- Re: OT: Covid infection and increased chance of neurological disordera a
+- Re: OT: Covid infection and increased chance of neurological disorderFred Bloggs
+* Re: OT: Covid infection and increased chance of neurological disorderMartin Brown
|+- Re: OT: Covid infection and increased chance of neurological disordera a
|`- Re: OT: Covid infection and increased chance of neurological disorderDon Y
`- Re: OT: Covid infection and increased chance of neurological disorderFred Bloggs

1
OT: Covid infection and increased chance of neurological disorder

<tgipmo$2apkq$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=106472&group=sci.electronics.design#106472

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: OT: Covid infection and increased chance of neurological disorder
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 16:04:48 -0700
 by: Don Y - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 23:04 UTC

But, study lists things like "anxiety" and "depression" as consequences.
Granted, they're "problems" but lumping them in with things like memory
loss and stroke seems to be a stretch -- esp when there are no figures
given for how many of these consequences *were* of those types.

E.g., folks get depressed when they lose money, a pet dies, etc.
but usually "get over" those things.

Does one "get over" memory loss or stroke?

Re: OT: Covid infection and increased chance of neurological disorder

<49309795-ffbc-48b7-a115-496220bbe707n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=106473&group=sci.electronics.design#106473

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 16:27:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 23:27 UTC

On Friday, 23 September 2022 at 01:05:04 UTC+2, Don Y wrote:
> But, study lists things like "anxiety" and "depression" as consequences.
> Granted, they're "problems" but lumping them in with things like memory
> loss and stroke seems to be a stretch -- esp when there are no figures
> given for how many of these consequences *were* of those types.
>
> E.g., folks get depressed when they lose money, a pet dies, etc.
> but usually "get over" those things.
>
> Does one "get over" memory loss or stroke?
you are right
read about
Long Covid fake

Re: OT: Covid infection and increased chance of neurological disorder

<8fa0daca-a305-4e72-bcca-bc53b40dfa06n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=106479&group=sci.electronics.design#106479

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 18:38:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 01:38 UTC

On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 7:05:04 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:
> But, study lists things like "anxiety" and "depression" as consequences.
> Granted, they're "problems" but lumping them in with things like memory
> loss and stroke seems to be a stretch -- esp when there are no figures
> given for how many of these consequences *were* of those types.
>
> E.g., folks get depressed when they lose money, a pet dies, etc.
> but usually "get over" those things.
>
> Does one "get over" memory loss or stroke?

Anxiety and depression naturally accompany serious illness for various reasons, mainly having to do with people not being happy with being sick, weak or disabled. And those kinds of mental problems exacerbate the decline in their health.

Re: OT: Covid infection and increased chance of neurological disorder

<tgjrc7$tl9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=106493&group=sci.electronics.design#106493

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 09:39:34 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 08:39 UTC

On 23/09/2022 00:04, Don Y wrote:
> But, study lists things like "anxiety" and "depression" as consequences.
> Granted, they're "problems" but lumping them in with things like memory
> loss and stroke seems to be a stretch -- esp when there are no figures
> given for how many of these consequences *were* of those types.

But there are figures for how Covid affects the blood viscosity and a
tendency to form micro clots that have direct relevance to damage in
starving high oxygen demand organs like the brain, heart and kidneys.

Having Covid roughly doubles your risk of having a stroke according to
the latest research reports:

https://healthcare.utah.edu/healthfeed/postings/2022/01/covid19-increasing-stroke-risks.php

Anecdotally it also seems to increase the risk of heart attack too:

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/news/coronavirus-and-your-health/what-does-coronavirus-do-to-your-body

> E.g., folks get depressed when they lose money, a pet dies, etc.
> but usually "get over" those things.
>
> Does one "get over" memory loss or stroke?

Sometimes. It depends how extensive the damage is and if the brain can
reroute enough signals around the damaged sections to learn to walk or
speak again. Memories that are lost tend to stay lost forever though.

People with short term memory loss are curious to talk to because for
them things in the distant past seem recent whilst today's news seems to
them only a faint memory and so must have happened a long time ago.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: OT: Covid infection and increased chance of neurological disorder

<b5e2cca1-cf88-4511-b8c0-6fd7318c8d90n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=106496&group=sci.electronics.design#106496

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 04:14:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 11:14 UTC

Covid affects nothing more alike Pneumonia

Re: OT: Covid infection and increased chance of neurological disorder

<tgkesb$2hlcf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=106522&group=sci.electronics.design#106522

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 07:12:18 -0700
 by: Don Y - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 14:12 UTC

On 9/23/2022 1:39 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 23/09/2022 00:04, Don Y wrote:
>> But, study lists things like "anxiety" and "depression" as consequences.
>> Granted, they're "problems" but lumping them in with things like memory
>> loss and stroke seems to be a stretch -- esp when there are no figures
>> given for how many of these consequences *were* of those types.
>
> But there are figures for how Covid affects the blood viscosity and a tendency
> to form micro clots that have direct relevance to damage in starving high
> oxygen demand organs like the brain, heart and kidneys.

I don't dispute that. My gripe is with lumping things like "anxiety" and
"depression" in with those disorders. Yes, they are "brain problems" -- and
depression can become chronic, etc.

But, how many of the folks Dx'ed with anxiety post-covid are just reacting
to the continued state of affairs re: pandemic? How many will suffer long
term consequences on a par with a stroke victim?

> Having Covid roughly doubles your risk of having a stroke according to the
> latest research reports:
>
> Anecdotally it also seems to increase the risk of heart attack too:

Among the folks that I know who've had it (esp early on, pre-vaccination) the
most common complaints are fatigue (which can lead to depression as it impacts
your lifestyle/quality of life) and brain fog (same parenthetical). The
brain fog being the most outwardly noticeable (presumably, if tired, they
can keep to themselves) -- and scary! Like they're running with a few
cylinders misfiring...

Too soon to tell what longer term consequences may be (premature death, etc.)

>> E.g., folks get depressed when they lose money, a pet dies, etc.
>> but usually "get over" those things.
>>
>> Does one "get over" memory loss or stroke?
>
> Sometimes. It depends how extensive the damage is and if the brain can reroute
> enough signals around the damaged sections to learn to walk or speak again.
> Memories that are lost tend to stay lost forever though.

Yes. But most people get over depression brought on by a transient life
event -- divorce, loss of job, loss of pet, etc. -- and likely would
(IMO) get over depression following a bout with covid.

> People with short term memory loss are curious to talk to because for them
> things in the distant past seem recent whilst today's news seems to them only a
> faint memory and so must have happened a long time ago.

Try talking to a schizophrenic or someone with severe psychological disorders!
The "tone" can change from sentence to sentence!

[It's gotta be a scary thing not to be able to trust your own brain!]

Re: OT: Covid infection and increased chance of neurological disorder

<bf2e33c8-0a72-447e-846e-19b8e020a9cbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=106536&group=sci.electronics.design#106536

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 11:16:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 18:16 UTC

On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 7:05:04 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:
> But, study lists things like "anxiety" and "depression" as consequences.
> Granted, they're "problems" but lumping them in with things like memory
> loss and stroke seems to be a stretch -- esp when there are no figures
> given for how many of these consequences *were* of those types.
>
> E.g., folks get depressed when they lose money, a pet dies, etc.
> but usually "get over" those things.
>
> Does one "get over" memory loss or stroke?

There is no "chance" to it. The science has enough plain and incontrovertible evidence linking specific viral infection to neurological disease of one form or another. The problem with the long covid victims is their immunity fails to completely clear the virus infection from their bodies, there's enough remnants of it to cause chromic immune inflammation response that never ends. Chronic inflammation is more than just a term of science. It is a very real affliction that saps every bit of vitality in your body. Given enough time, everything gets damaged, not just nerve cells. The thymus in particular is susceptible to developing fibrosis and dysfunction from perpetual lymphocyte production.
It's way more complicated than people know, and pathetically not at all close to what that historically retarded piece of trash, Trump, called "just like the flu."
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00705-021-04959-6