Our business is run on trust. We trust you will pay in advance.

tech / rec.photo.digital / Re: Screen Light Bar and image viewing

SubjectAuthor
* Screen Light Bar and image viewingEric Stevens
+* Re: Screen Light Bar and image viewingBill W
|`- Re: Screen Light Bar and image viewingEric Stevens
`* Re: Screen Light Bar and image viewingWhisky-dave
 `* Re: Screen Light Bar and image viewingEric Stevens
  `* Re: Screen Light Bar and image viewingWhisky-dave
   `* Re: Screen Light Bar and image viewingEric Stevens
    `* Re: Screen Light Bar and image viewingWhisky-dave
     +- Re: Screen Light Bar and image viewingEric Stevens
     `* Re: Screen Light Bar and image viewingEric Stevens
      `* Re: Screen Light Bar and image viewingWhisky-dave
       `- Re: Screen Light Bar and image viewingEric Stevens

1
Screen Light Bar and image viewing

<6l0vlgd82iactcmq26ajj8b1aiacmh6rbn@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10599&group=rec.photo.digital#10599

From: eric.ste...@sum.co.nz (Eric Stevens)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Subject: Screen Light Bar and image viewing
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2021 13:02:05 +1300
 by: Eric Stevens - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 00:02 UTC

My computer work station employs two 25" Dell UP2516D monitors which
are color managed. I have long been concerned at the conflict at
getting asufficiently dark working environment for the display and
having enough light to see what I am doing on my desk. I recently
bough two cheap light bars to hang on the monitors to enable me to
find out exactly what effect they have. The link below is shot of the
two monitors and the work space in their immediate vicinity.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao0elnDt9zAUjzoQNHCOSyMsLXK7?e=1DoQ8s

The screens are at about 38% brightness. The light bars are adjustable
for both hue and brightness. I have them set to white at about half
intensity. The work area around them is more than adequately lit. The
light bars do cast some light on the screens but the light is so
nearly parallel to the surface of the screens that it is reflected on
downwards and has no effect on the viewed image. The two images are a
random selection from a folder as chosen by the computer. The camera
was a Nikon D750 with exposure set to not quite over expose. There is
no editing other than slight sharpening.

Compared with what is apparent in ordinary shaded daylight the images
look glorious and I can still see what I am doing on the desk
extremely well. I can highly recommend them. Anyone who is interested
should Google 'Light bar'.

--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Re: Screen Light Bar and image viewing

<0001HW.270FDF91055B9A9E30DF0938F@news-us.newsgroup.ninja>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10601&group=rec.photo.digital#10601

From: noth...@nowhere.com (Bill W)
Subject: Re: Screen Light Bar and image viewing
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2021 21:08:17 -0500
 by: Bill W - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 02:08 UTC

On Oct 7, 2021, Eric Stevens wrote
(in article<6l0vlgd82iactcmq26ajj8b1aiacmh6rbn@4ax.com>):

> My computer work station employs two 25" Dell UP2516D monitors which
> are color managed. I have long been concerned at the conflict at
> getting asufficiently dark working environment for the display and
> having enough light to see what I am doing on my desk. I recently
> bough two cheap light bars to hang on the monitors to enable me to
> find out exactly what effect they have. The link below is shot of the
> two monitors and the work space in their immediate vicinity.
>
> https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao0elnDt9zAUjzoQNHCOSyMsLXK7?e=1DoQ8s
>
> The screens are at about 38% brightness. The light bars are adjustable
> for both hue and brightness. I have them set to white at about half
> intensity. The work area around them is more than adequately lit. The
> light bars do cast some light on the screens but the light is so
> nearly parallel to the surface of the screens that it is reflected on
> downwards and has no effect on the viewed image. The two images are a
> random selection from a folder as chosen by the computer. The camera
> was a Nikon D750 with exposure set to not quite over expose. There is
> no editing other than slight sharpening.
>
> Compared with what is apparent in ordinary shaded daylight the images
> look glorious and I can still see what I am doing on the desk
> extremely well. I can highly recommend them. Anyone who is interested
> should Google 'Light bar’.

No link to the ones you bought?

Re: Screen Light Bar and image viewing

<lmcvlg5f4ju6akdhpsmcqfgknbiagircu5@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10602&group=rec.photo.digital#10602

From: eric.ste...@sum.co.nz (Eric Stevens)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2021 15:57:38 +1300
 by: Eric Stevens - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 02:57 UTC

On Thu, 07 Oct 2021 21:08:17 -0500, Bill W <nothing@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>On Oct 7, 2021, Eric Stevens wrote
>(in article<6l0vlgd82iactcmq26ajj8b1aiacmh6rbn@4ax.com>):
>
>> My computer work station employs two 25" Dell UP2516D monitors which
>> are color managed. I have long been concerned at the conflict at
>> getting asufficiently dark working environment for the display and
>> having enough light to see what I am doing on my desk. I recently
>> bough two cheap light bars to hang on the monitors to enable me to
>> find out exactly what effect they have. The link below is shot of the
>> two monitors and the work space in their immediate vicinity.
>>
>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao0elnDt9zAUjzoQNHCOSyMsLXK7?e=1DoQ8s
>>
>> The screens are at about 38% brightness. The light bars are adjustable
>> for both hue and brightness. I have them set to white at about half
>> intensity. The work area around them is more than adequately lit. The
>> light bars do cast some light on the screens but the light is so
>> nearly parallel to the surface of the screens that it is reflected on
>> downwards and has no effect on the viewed image. The two images are a
>> random selection from a folder as chosen by the computer. The camera
>> was a Nikon D750 with exposure set to not quite over expose. There is
>> no editing other than slight sharpening.
>>
>> Compared with what is apparent in ordinary shaded daylight the images
>> look glorious and I can still see what I am doing on the desk
>> extremely well. I can highly recommend them. Anyone who is interested
>> should Google 'Light bar’.
>
>No link to the ones you bought?

I bought it through a local importer from China. The link would not be
much use to you. I suggest that you do a Google image search for
'Light Bar'. You should find many different types. Most of them are
designed for use on lap tops and can pose problems when trying to
attach them to desk top monitor. I would be surprised if you couldnt
find something suitable.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Re: Screen Light Bar and image viewing

<6092d31c-c67b-4bba-841c-b0448c9d5bbfn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10605&group=rec.photo.digital#10605

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 05:18:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: whisky.d...@gmail.com (Whisky-dave)
 by: Whisky-dave - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 12:18 UTC

On Friday, 8 October 2021 at 01:01:38 UTC+1, Eric Stevens wrote:
> My computer work station employs two 25" Dell UP2516D monitors which
> are color managed. I have long been concerned at the conflict at
> getting asufficiently dark working environment for the display and
> having enough light to see what I am doing on my desk. I recently
> bough two cheap light bars to hang on the monitors to enable me to
> find out exactly what effect they have. The link below is shot of the
> two monitors and the work space in their immediate vicinity.
>
> https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao0elnDt9zAUjzoQNHCOSyMsLXK7?e=1DoQ8s
>
> The screens are at about 38% brightness. The light bars are adjustable
> for both hue and brightness. I have them set to white at about half
> intensity. The work area around them is more than adequately lit. The
> light bars do cast some light on the screens but the light is so
> nearly parallel to the surface of the screens that it is reflected on
> downwards and has no effect on the viewed image. The two images are a
> random selection from a folder as chosen by the computer. The camera
> was a Nikon D750 with exposure set to not quite over expose. There is
> no editing other than slight sharpening.
>
> Compared with what is apparent in ordinary shaded daylight the images
> look glorious and I can still see what I am doing on the desk
> extremely well. I can highly recommend them. Anyone who is interested
> should Google 'Light bar'.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric Stevens

So the light bars are to see the keyboard, and desk nice idea a bit like the lights you can stick to kitchen cupboards
so you can see the work surface.

But personally I'd have put them under the monitors, so less likely to distract from the images on screen.
One think I like about Apple laptops are the illuminated keyboard.
I wonder if Apple will ever make the avaible for desktop computers too.

I guess you could use an old fashioned angle poised lamp and direct it on a cup of coffee
or whatever

Re: Screen Light Bar and image viewing

<g3l1mgln4e974kihl7r4qkcipanklguh0m@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10610&group=rec.photo.digital#10610

From: eric.ste...@sum.co.nz (Eric Stevens)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2021 12:31:38 +1300
 by: Eric Stevens - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 23:31 UTC

On Fri, 8 Oct 2021 05:18:59 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, 8 October 2021 at 01:01:38 UTC+1, Eric Stevens wrote:
>> My computer work station employs two 25" Dell UP2516D monitors which
>> are color managed. I have long been concerned at the conflict at
>> getting asufficiently dark working environment for the display and
>> having enough light to see what I am doing on my desk. I recently
>> bough two cheap light bars to hang on the monitors to enable me to
>> find out exactly what effect they have. The link below is shot of the
>> two monitors and the work space in their immediate vicinity.
>>
>> https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao0elnDt9zAUjzoQNHCOSyMsLXK7?e=1DoQ8s
>>
>> The screens are at about 38% brightness. The light bars are adjustable
>> for both hue and brightness. I have them set to white at about half
>> intensity. The work area around them is more than adequately lit. The
>> light bars do cast some light on the screens but the light is so
>> nearly parallel to the surface of the screens that it is reflected on
>> downwards and has no effect on the viewed image. The two images are a
>> random selection from a folder as chosen by the computer. The camera
>> was a Nikon D750 with exposure set to not quite over expose. There is
>> no editing other than slight sharpening.
>>
>> Compared with what is apparent in ordinary shaded daylight the images
>> look glorious and I can still see what I am doing on the desk
>> extremely well. I can highly recommend them. Anyone who is interested
>> should Google 'Light bar'.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Eric Stevens
>
> So the light bars are to see the keyboard, and desk nice idea a bit like the lights you can stick to kitchen cupboards
>so you can see the work surface.
>
>But personally I'd have put them under the monitors, so less likely to distract from the images on screen.

Not necessary. The direct view of the light source is shielded from
the eye of the viewer.

--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Re: Screen Light Bar and image viewing

<bf950b79-778d-4c8e-a28c-66747b0908d5n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10624&group=rec.photo.digital#10624

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 05:49:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: whisky.d...@gmail.com (Whisky-dave)
 by: Whisky-dave - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 12:49 UTC

On Saturday, 9 October 2021 at 00:31:08 UTC+1, Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Oct 2021 05:18:59 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
> <whisk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Friday, 8 October 2021 at 01:01:38 UTC+1, Eric Stevens wrote:
> >> My computer work station employs two 25" Dell UP2516D monitors which
> >> are color managed. I have long been concerned at the conflict at
> >> getting asufficiently dark working environment for the display and
> >> having enough light to see what I am doing on my desk. I recently
> >> bough two cheap light bars to hang on the monitors to enable me to
> >> find out exactly what effect they have. The link below is shot of the
> >> two monitors and the work space in their immediate vicinity.
> >>
> >> https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao0elnDt9zAUjzoQNHCOSyMsLXK7?e=1DoQ8s
> >>
> >> The screens are at about 38% brightness. The light bars are adjustable
> >> for both hue and brightness. I have them set to white at about half
> >> intensity. The work area around them is more than adequately lit. The
> >> light bars do cast some light on the screens but the light is so
> >> nearly parallel to the surface of the screens that it is reflected on
> >> downwards and has no effect on the viewed image. The two images are a
> >> random selection from a folder as chosen by the computer. The camera
> >> was a Nikon D750 with exposure set to not quite over expose. There is
> >> no editing other than slight sharpening.
> >>
> >> Compared with what is apparent in ordinary shaded daylight the images
> >> look glorious and I can still see what I am doing on the desk
> >> extremely well. I can highly recommend them. Anyone who is interested
> >> should Google 'Light bar'.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Eric Stevens
> >
> > So the light bars are to see the keyboard, and desk nice idea a bit like the lights you can stick to kitchen cupboards
> >so you can see the work surface.
> >
> >But personally I'd have put them under the monitors, so less likely to distract from the images on screen.
> Not necessary. The direct view of the light source is shielded from
> the eye of the viewer.

I can see them in the photo so not that shielded and the viewpoint if sitting at the desk would be even lower
so I would have thought better to have them below the screens and further to the back.

Well that's what I'd do if I felt such lighting was necessary

> >One think I like about Apple laptops are the illuminated keyboard.
> >I wonder if Apple will ever make the avaible for desktop computers too.
> >
> >I guess you could use an old fashioned angle poised lamp and direct it on a cup of coffee
> >or whatever
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric Stevens

Re: Screen Light Bar and image viewing

<571amgh3splacc1rk2fchrnippt9s3ecmn@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10626&group=rec.photo.digital#10626

From: eric.ste...@sum.co.nz (Eric Stevens)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 16:49:10 +1300
 by: Eric Stevens - Tue, 12 Oct 2021 03:49 UTC

rOn Mon, 11 Oct 2021 05:49:37 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Saturday, 9 October 2021 at 00:31:08 UTC+1, Eric Stevens wrote:
>> On Fri, 8 Oct 2021 05:18:59 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
>> <whisk...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > So the light bars are to see the keyboard, and desk nice idea a bit like the lights you can stick to kitchen cupboards
>> >so you can see the work surface.
>> >
>> >But personally I'd have put them under the monitors, so less likely to distract from the images on screen.
>> Not necessary. The direct view of the light source is shielded from
>> the eye of the viewer.
>
>I can see them in the photo so not that shielded and the viewpoint if sitting at the desk would be even lower
>so I would have thought better to have them below the screens and further to the back.

That may or not be better but that's not the way they make them. I'm
happy with them the way they are. This way, they are directing the
light down. If they were lower they would be directing the light back
to me, which I don't think I would like.

What I didn't mention previously is that the lights run off a USB
port. I use one of the ports on each screen.

--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Re: Screen Light Bar and image viewing

<d48e6532-7838-466d-b5d2-89509b7b261dn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10633&group=rec.photo.digital#10633

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 05:46:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: whisky.d...@gmail.com (Whisky-dave)
 by: Whisky-dave - Tue, 12 Oct 2021 12:46 UTC

On Tuesday, 12 October 2021 at 04:48:35 UTC+1, Eric Stevens wrote:
> rOn Mon, 11 Oct 2021 05:49:37 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
> <whisk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, 9 October 2021 at 00:31:08 UTC+1, Eric Stevens wrote:

> >> Not necessary. The direct view of the light source is shielded from
> >> the eye of the viewer.
> >
> >I can see them in the photo so not that shielded and the viewpoint if sitting at the desk would be even lower
> >so I would have thought better to have them below the screens and further to the back.
> That may or not be better but that's not the way they make them. I'm
> happy with them the way they are. This way, they are directing the
> light down. If they were lower they would be directing the light back
> to me, which I don't think I would like.

Ok, maybe the ones I've used are differnt and for a differnt use.
I guess I'd choose something different with a fun aspect as an aditional idea.
I have a 3 metre set at home, but never thought about using them the way you have.

https://youtu.be/jnc8GyF0kh0

> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Eric Stevens
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric Stevens

Re: Screen Light Bar and image viewing

<bvghmgpjij1hh7iadc4ut8mkjeh72593fo@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10680&group=rec.photo.digital#10680

From: eric.ste...@sum.co.nz (Eric Stevens)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 12:58:01 +1300
 by: Eric Stevens - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 23:58 UTC

On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 05:46:15 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:

>Ok, maybe the ones I've used are differnt and for a differnt use.
>I guess I'd choose something different with a fun aspect as an aditional idea.
>I have a 3 metre set at home, but never thought about using them the way you have.
>
> https://youtu.be/jnc8GyF0kh0

It wouldnt suit us. Our cats are ginger.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Re: Screen Light Bar and image viewing

<ja5nmghfbufvb49ggurgdfri67fgibameb@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10701&group=rec.photo.digital#10701

From: eric.ste...@sum.co.nz (Eric Stevens)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 16:20:59 +1300
 by: Eric Stevens - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 03:20 UTC

On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 05:46:15 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:

---< snip > ---

>> >I can see them in the photo so not that shielded and the viewpoint if sitting at the desk would be even lower
>> >so I would have thought better to have them below the screens and further to the back.
>> That may or not be better but that's not the way they make them. I'm
>> happy with them the way they are. This way, they are directing the
>> light down. If they were lower they would be directing the light back
>> to me, which I don't think I would like.
>
>Ok, maybe the ones I've used are differnt and for a differnt use.
>I guess I'd choose something different with a fun aspect as an aditional idea.
>I have a 3 metre set at home, but never thought about using them the way you have.
>
> https://youtu.be/jnc8GyF0kh0

Seeing your LED strip made me realise I hadn't pointed out another
feature of mine. The light strip contains two rows of LEDs: one white
and the other with a yellow tinge. They can be conrolled in brightness
and also switched between all white, mix of white and yellow, and all
yellow. Yellow is a bit of a misnomer. It's more like the light from
the old fashioned incandescent light. I normally run them on white at
half power.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Re: Screen Light Bar and image viewing

<0ac269b3-adec-4781-bbfd-d944d2581422n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10706&group=rec.photo.digital#10706

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 05:24:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: whisky.d...@gmail.com (Whisky-dave)
 by: Whisky-dave - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 12:24 UTC

On Sunday, 17 October 2021 at 04:21:00 UTC+1, Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 05:46:15 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
> <whisk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ---< snip > ---

> >> That may or not be better but that's not the way they make them. I'm
> >> happy with them the way they are. This way, they are directing the
> >> light down. If they were lower they would be directing the light back
> >> to me, which I don't think I would like.
> >
> >Ok, maybe the ones I've used are differnt and for a differnt use.
> >I guess I'd choose something different with a fun aspect as an aditional idea.
> >I have a 3 metre set at home, but never thought about using them the way you have.
> >
> > https://youtu.be/jnc8GyF0kh0
> Seeing your LED strip made me realise I hadn't pointed out another
> feature of mine. The light strip contains two rows of LEDs: one white
> and the other with a yellow tinge. They can be conrolled in brightness
> and also switched between all white, mix of white and yellow, and all
> yellow. Yellow is a bit of a misnomer. It's more like the light from
> the old fashioned incandescent light. I normally run them on white at
> half power.
> --

interesting mine strip is quite old modern ones have a RGB LED and a white one.
But as you can see any light of any colour has an effect as it's reflected off anything even
a calibrated screen, or an uncalibrated and hungry cat whether it's white, ginger any colour,
other than possibley black. :-)

> Regards,
>
> Eric Stevens

Re: Screen Light Bar and image viewing

<j24vmg9n5j7g8miiv0a058vv2123ipqtha@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10722&group=rec.photo.digital#10722

From: eric.ste...@sum.co.nz (Eric Stevens)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
References: <6l0vlgd82iactcmq26ajj8b1aiacmh6rbn@4ax.com> <6092d31c-c67b-4bba-841c-b0448c9d5bbfn@googlegroups.com> <g3l1mgln4e974kihl7r4qkcipanklguh0m@4ax.com> <bf950b79-778d-4c8e-a28c-66747b0908d5n@googlegroups.com> <571amgh3splacc1rk2fchrnippt9s3ecmn@4ax.com> <d48e6532-7838-466d-b5d2-89509b7b261dn@googlegroups.com> <ja5nmghfbufvb49ggurgdfri67fgibameb@4ax.com> <0ac269b3-adec-4781-bbfd-d944d2581422n@googlegroups.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 16:46:21 +1300
 by: Eric Stevens - Wed, 20 Oct 2021 03:46 UTC

On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 05:24:57 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
<whisky.dave@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sunday, 17 October 2021 at 04:21:00 UTC+1, Eric Stevens wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Oct 2021 05:46:15 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
>> <whisk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> ---< snip > ---

>> >Ok, maybe the ones I've used are differnt and for a differnt use.
>> >I guess I'd choose something different with a fun aspect as an aditional idea.
>> >I have a 3 metre set at home, but never thought about using them the way you have.
>> >
>> > https://youtu.be/jnc8GyF0kh0
>> Seeing your LED strip made me realise I hadn't pointed out another
>> feature of mine. The light strip contains two rows of LEDs: one white
>> and the other with a yellow tinge. They can be conrolled in brightness
>> and also switched between all white, mix of white and yellow, and all
>> yellow. Yellow is a bit of a misnomer. It's more like the light from
>> the old fashioned incandescent light. I normally run them on white at
>> half power.
>> --
>
>interesting mine strip is quite old modern ones have a RGB LED and a white one.
>But as you can see any light of any colour has an effect as it's reflected off anything even
>a calibrated screen, or an uncalibrated and hungry cat whether it's white, ginger any colour,
>other than possibley black. :-)

That's one of the advantages of having the strip at the top of the
screen. The incident angle on the screen is so near zero that none
enters the screen or the viewers eye. It's reflected to the
desktop/keyboard at the base of the screen. It has virtually no effect
on the incident light on the screen.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens