"Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time." -- a coffee cup

tech / rec.photo.digital / Yes, everyone wants to pretend their processor is new and revolutionary

SubjectAuthor
* Yes, everyone wants to pretend their processor is new and revolutionaryRichA
`* Re: Yes, everyone wants to pretend their processor is new andAlan Browne
 `* Re: Yes, everyone wants to pretend their processor is new and revolutionaryRichA
  `- Re: Yes, everyone wants to pretend their processor is new andAlan Browne

1
Yes, everyone wants to pretend their processor is new and revolutionary

<42bf9043-9099-4b00-a65d-ca2769e88653n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10773&group=rec.photo.digital#10773

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 21:22:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Yes, everyone wants to pretend their processor is new and revolutionary
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 04:22 UTC

https://9to5google.com/2021/10/20/google-tensor-chip/

Re: Yes, everyone wants to pretend their processor is new and revolutionary

<ikYeJ.3515$L_2.957@fx04.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10781&group=rec.photo.digital#10781

Subject: Re: Yes, everyone wants to pretend their processor is new and
revolutionary
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 15:54:53 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 19:54 UTC

On 2021-10-29 00:22, RichA wrote:
> https://9to5google.com/2021/10/20/google-tensor-chip/

It's actually optimizing general purpose ARM processors for particular
machine applications while adding sophisticated modules for machine
learning, graphics, etc. Much as Apple has done with its "A" series
chips (iPhone, iPad) and "M" series (Mac, high end iPad) and other very
specialized ARM derivatives.

Missing with the Google processor (as far as I can see) is the unified
memory architecture that Apple uses in its M series. This greatly
improves all functions as there is far, far less moving of data around
between functional portions of the computer.

Pretty amazing stuff actually, and it will all be quaintly old in 10 years.

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."

Re: Yes, everyone wants to pretend their processor is new and revolutionary

<0505d383-1065-4374-b9bc-96822993ac69n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10782&group=rec.photo.digital#10782

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 23:24:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 06:24 UTC

On Friday, 29 October 2021 at 15:54:57 UTC-4, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2021-10-29 00:22, RichA wrote:
> > https://9to5google.com/2021/10/20/google-tensor-chip/
>
> It's actually optimizing general purpose ARM processors for particular
> machine applications while adding sophisticated modules for machine
> learning, graphics, etc. Much as Apple has done with its "A" series
> chips (iPhone, iPad) and "M" series (Mac, high end iPad) and other very
> specialized ARM derivatives.
>
> Missing with the Google processor (as far as I can see) is the unified
> memory architecture that Apple uses in its M series. This greatly
> improves all functions as there is far, far less moving of data around
> between functional portions of the computer.
>
> Pretty amazing stuff actually, and it will all be quaintly old in 10 years.

Things haven't changed that much. Silicon chips, conventional storage, battery power, only just narrower trace widths. All the wonderous, long-predicted advances like optical or quantum processing have not come to pass.

Re: Yes, everyone wants to pretend their processor is new and revolutionary

<L%cfJ.16301$Kw9.12160@fx45.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10783&group=rec.photo.digital#10783

revolutionary
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 10:53:30 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 14:53 UTC

On 2021-10-30 02:24, RichA wrote:
> On Friday, 29 October 2021 at 15:54:57 UTC-4, Alan Browne wrote:
>> On 2021-10-29 00:22, RichA wrote:
>>> https://9to5google.com/2021/10/20/google-tensor-chip/
>>
>> It's actually optimizing general purpose ARM processors for particular
>> machine applications while adding sophisticated modules for machine
>> learning, graphics, etc. Much as Apple has done with its "A" series
>> chips (iPhone, iPad) and "M" series (Mac, high end iPad) and other very
>> specialized ARM derivatives.
>>
>> Missing with the Google processor (as far as I can see) is the unified
>> memory architecture that Apple uses in its M series. This greatly
>> improves all functions as there is far, far less moving of data around
>> between functional portions of the computer.
>>
>> Pretty amazing stuff actually, and it will all be quaintly old in 10 years.
>>

> Things haven't changed that much. Silicon chips, conventional storage, battery power, only just narrower trace widths. All the wonderous, long-predicted advances like optical or quantum processing have not come to pass.

You're vastly under rating the machine learning / neural networks /
GPU's etc. contribution to performance.