tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: Re:Kensington Washable Keyboard

SubjectAuthor
* Kensington Washable KeyboardMike Monett VE3BTI
+- Re: Kensington Washable KeyboardDon Y
+* Re: Kensington Washable KeyboardDecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
|`* Re: Kensington Washable KeyboardFred Bloggs
| `- Re: Kensington Washable KeyboardDecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
+- Re: Kensington Washable KeyboardDecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
+* Re: Kensington Washable KeyboardMartin Brown
|+- Re: Kensington Washable KeyboardDon Y
|+* Re: Kensington Washable KeyboardDennis
||`- Re: Kensington Washable KeyboardDon Y
|`- Re: Kensington Washable KeyboardFred Bloggs
+* Re: Kensington Washable KeyboardJohn Larkin
|`- Re: Kensington Washable KeyboardPhil Hobbs
`* Re:Kensington Washable KeyboardMartin Rid
 `* Re:Kensington Washable KeyboardMike Monett VE3BTI
  `- Re: Re:Kensington Washable KeyboardDon Y

1
Kensington Washable Keyboard

<XnsAF312C113D694idtokenpost@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107987&group=sci.electronics.design#107987

From: spa...@not.com (Mike Monett VE3BTI)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Kensington Washable Keyboard
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 08:19:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Monett VE3BTI - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 08:19 UTC

How many times have you spilled coffee or coke on your keyboard and found
you had to buy a new one?

How many times have you had to take a key apart to clean it because it had
gone intermittent?

For me, too many times.

Enter the Kensington washable keyboard. Yes, you can dunk it in water with
no ill effects. It will not pick up lint, and you can use isopropyl alcohol
to make it shiny as new. The keyboard letters are embedded in the plastic,
so they will not wear off with use.

The keyboards a more expensive than the plain ones, but you save in the
time lost having to try to fix a bad keyboard, or go to the store to buy a
new one.

I prefer the white keyboard with black lettering. This was CDN$ 49.99 on
April 17, 2022. Today, it has jumped to an astonishing CDN $71.15 + $9.95
delivery. You can get it at

https://www.amazon.ca/Kensington-K64406US-Washable-Anti-microbial-
Protection/dp/B0029HPSNG/

It is available in the US for USD $42.81 with $11.28 delivery at

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0029HPSNG/

It has the following statements. Quote:

"Water-proof and washable (do not immerse USB plug)

Meets MIL-STD-810H Method 504.3 Contamination by Fluids testing for
resistance to breakdown when exposed to cleaning and disinfecting solvents
such as alcohol and bleach for at least 24 hours

Plug and play via USB ; Compatible with Windows 10

Soft-touch keys offer a crisp, responsive touch for added comfort, white
keyboard with 104-key layout

Keyboard designed for use in many different environments, such as
hospitals, government offices, schools and more"

The black keyboard is CDN $44.78 with no delivery charge. I guess it has
some advantages like it won't show dirt as well, but the white keyboard
goes for a long time before you have to brighten it up. Anyway, the black
one is here:

https://www.amazon.ca/Kensington-K74200CA-Washable-Keyboard-
Black/dp/B08SY4NHDB/

I guess Kensington is pumping up the price of the white one by putting
antimicrobial coating on the keyboard. I seriously doubt it will have much
effect.

--
MRM

Re: Kensington Washable Keyboard

<tie1ja$2lvgt$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107988&group=sci.electronics.design#107988

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Kensington Washable Keyboard
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 03:21:19 -0700
 by: Don Y - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 10:21 UTC

On 10/15/2022 1:19 AM, Mike Monett VE3BTI wrote:
> How many times have you spilled coffee or coke on your keyboard and found
> you had to buy a new one?

Um, never!?

> How many times have you had to take a key apart to clean it because it had
> gone intermittent?
>
> For me, too many times.

A colleague cleans keyboards (in large quantities) by taking them into
his swimming pool (!). I've expressed disbelief but have never seen
a problem with any of the resulting product <shudder>.

OTOH, if a keyboard fails, he can always discard it at no loss...

> Enter the Kensington washable keyboard. Yes, you can dunk it in water with
> no ill effects. It will not pick up lint, and you can use isopropyl alcohol
> to make it shiny as new. The keyboard letters are embedded in the plastic,
> so they will not wear off with use.
>
> The keyboards a more expensive than the plain ones, but you save in the
> time lost having to try to fix a bad keyboard, or go to the store to buy a
> new one.
>
> I prefer the white keyboard with black lettering. This was CDN$ 49.99 on
> April 17, 2022. Today, it has jumped to an astonishing CDN $71.15 + $9.95
> delivery. You can get it at

I've taken a different approach. I "standardized" on the Dell SK-8135 keyboard
<https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Zu4AAOSw9c1g07v~/s-l1600.jpg>
on all of our machines, here (so your hands don't have to readjust to
a different keyboard when you move to a different machine). And, likewise
for the mouse:
<http://images.esellerpro.com/2131/I/288/68/DELLC8639.jpg>
(I'm not fond of mice with lots of "buttons" hidden all over the place)

I buy these for $1/each. In addition to siting one of each at each
computer, I keep a "supply" of some 30 of each of them in the garage.
(finding boxes of the correct size and shape is a PITA)

When I have problems with a mouse or keyboard, I simply replace them. I
figure the time it takes to unplug each is probably worth as much as
the mouse+keyboard!

$40+ per keyboard times ten seats? No thanks!

YMMV, of course.

> https://www.amazon.ca/Kensington-K64406US-Washable-Anti-microbial-
> Protection/dp/B0029HPSNG/
>
> It is available in the US for USD $42.81 with $11.28 delivery at
>
> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0029HPSNG/
>
> It has the following statements. Quote:
>
> "Water-proof and washable (do not immerse USB plug)
>
> Meets MIL-STD-810H Method 504.3 Contamination by Fluids testing for
> resistance to breakdown when exposed to cleaning and disinfecting solvents
> such as alcohol and bleach for at least 24 hours
>
> Plug and play via USB ; Compatible with Windows 10
>
> Soft-touch keys offer a crisp, responsive touch for added comfort, white
> keyboard with 104-key layout
>
> Keyboard designed for use in many different environments, such as
> hospitals, government offices, schools and more"
>
> The black keyboard is CDN $44.78 with no delivery charge. I guess it has
> some advantages like it won't show dirt as well, but the white keyboard
> goes for a long time before you have to brighten it up. Anyway, the black
> one is here:
>
> https://www.amazon.ca/Kensington-K74200CA-Washable-Keyboard-
> Black/dp/B08SY4NHDB/
>
> I guess Kensington is pumping up the price of the white one by putting
> antimicrobial coating on the keyboard. I seriously doubt it will have much
> effect.

Re: Kensington Washable Keyboard

<tie86b$fms$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107993&group=sci.electronics.design#107993

From: Decadent...@decadence.org
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 12:14:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Decadent...@decadence.org - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 12:14 UTC

Mike Monett VE3BTI <spamme@not.com> wrote in

> How many times have you spilled coffee or coke on your keyboard
> and found you had to buy a new one?

Nope! I have rules about liquids and electronic devices.

As far as coke goes, that stuff is far too expensive to line up over
a keyboard. :-)

I kid on the second one, of course.

Re: Kensington Washable Keyboard

<tie8kv$o6s$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107994&group=sci.electronics.design#107994

From: Decadent...@decadence.org
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 12:21:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Decadent...@decadence.org - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 12:21 UTC

Mike Monett VE3BTI <spamme@not.com> wrote in

> How many times have you spilled coffee or coke on your keyboard
> and found you had to buy a new one?
>
> How many times have you had to take a key apart to clean it
> because it had gone intermittent?
>
> For me, too many times.
>
> Enter the Kensington washable keyboard. Yes, you can dunk it in
> water with no ill effects. It will not pick up lint, and you can
> use isopropyl alcohol to make it shiny as new. The keyboard
> letters are embedded in the plastic, so they will not wear off
> with use.
>
> The keyboards a more expensive than the plain ones, but you save
> in the time lost having to try to fix a bad keyboard, or go to the
> store to buy a new one.
>
> I prefer the white keyboard with black lettering. This was CDN$
> 49.99 on April 17, 2022. Today, it has jumped to an astonishing
> CDN $71.15 + $9.95 delivery. You can get it at
>
> https://www.amazon.ca/Kensington-K64406US-Washable-Anti-microbial-
> Protection/dp/B0029HPSNG/
>
> It is available in the US for USD $42.81 with $11.28 delivery at
>
> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0029HPSNG/
>
> It has the following statements. Quote:
>
> "Water-proof and washable (do not immerse USB plug)
>
> Meets MIL-STD-810H Method 504.3 Contamination by Fluids testing
> for resistance to breakdown when exposed to cleaning and
> disinfecting solvents such as alcohol and bleach for at least 24
> hours
>
> Plug and play via USB ; Compatible with Windows 10
>
> Soft-touch keys offer a crisp, responsive touch for added comfort,
> white keyboard with 104-key layout
>
> Keyboard designed for use in many different environments, such as
> hospitals, government offices, schools and more"
>
> The black keyboard is CDN $44.78 with no delivery charge. I guess
> it has some advantages like it won't show dirt as well, but the
> white keyboard goes for a long time before you have to brighten it
> up. Anyway, the black one is here:

<https://www.amazon.ca/Kensington-K74200CA-Washable-Keyboard-
Black/dp/B08SY4NHDB/>
> I guess Kensington is pumping up the price of the white one by
> putting antimicrobial coating on the keyboard. I seriously doubt
> it will have much effect.

Ever use High temp silicon Kitchen utensils or things like
spatulas? They are "washable" in soaps with emulsify and soponify
dirt and oils. They become *very* clean.

So, I like mine better... Sealed long life "switches" too.

<https://www.amazon.com/sungwoo-Wireless-Waterproof-Dustproof-
Lightweight/dp/B09WN2BQNV>

Re: Kensington Washable Keyboard

<tie99o$10ne$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107995&group=sci.electronics.design#107995

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 13:32:55 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 12:32 UTC

On 15/10/2022 09:19, Mike Monett VE3BTI wrote:
> How many times have you spilled coffee or coke on your keyboard and found
> you had to buy a new one?

I find wine to be more of a problem but it has only ever happened the
once so not something I worry about.

My keyboards fail from wear and tear from usage. First indication that
they are on their way out is that some key legends go.

O A S D H L C N are all partially gone on my main keyboard ~5 year old.
Enter, backspace and Spacebar all have a high polish where I hit them.

For some reason that I can't quite fathom "L" is by far the most worn
out and now appears only as a half length "I".

Some sort of serious mechanical fault tends to arise not long after the
first key legend completely vanishes.

> How many times have you had to take a key apart to clean it because it had
> gone intermittent?
>
> For me, too many times.

We used to use the sort you are advocating in chemical laboratories
where an ordinary PC keyboard's life expectancy was not at all good.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Kensington Washable Keyboard

<tiebid$2nvo9$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=107997&group=sci.electronics.design#107997

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 06:11:30 -0700
 by: Don Y - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 13:11 UTC

On 10/15/2022 5:32 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 15/10/2022 09:19, Mike Monett VE3BTI wrote:
>> How many times have you spilled coffee or coke on your keyboard and found
>> you had to buy a new one?
>
> I find wine to be more of a problem but it has only ever happened the once so
> not something I worry about.
>
> My keyboards fail from wear and tear from usage. First indication that they are
> on their way out is that some key legends go.

The spacebar is a frequent failure, for me. This, likely because of the
mechanical design (a single button in the center with the rest of the
keycap cantilevered on both sides; hit it off center, often, and it
starts to bind)

> O A S D H L C N are all partially gone on my main keyboard ~5 year old.
> Enter, backspace and Spacebar all have a high polish where I hit them.

*No* legends on A E or S, here. But, I don't need legends to know where
they are.

I suspect the two "Windows" keys will last the longest (as the only time they
are hit is by accident!)

> For some reason that I can't quite fathom "L" is by far the most worn out and
> now appears only as a half length "I".
>
> Some sort of serious mechanical fault tends to arise not long after the first
> key legend completely vanishes.

Hmmm... I will have to make note of that to see if there is a correlation.
The legends mentioned above have been long gone but the spacebar is only
recently acting up. (replacement keyboard sitting on top of the UPS but
I've been too lazy to reach behind the PC to unplug the old and thread the
cable for the new one through the desk)

Re: Kensington Washable Keyboard

<tiefkt$2p2u0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=108002&group=sci.electronics.design#108002

From: den...@none.none (Dennis)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 09:21:17 -0500
 by: Dennis - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 14:21 UTC

On 10/15/22 07:32, Martin Brown wrote:

> My keyboards fail from wear and tear from usage. First indication that
> they are on their way out is that some key legends go.
>
> O A S D H L C N are all partially gone on my main keyboard ~5 year old.
> Enter, backspace and Spacebar all have a high polish where I hit them.
>
> For some reason that I can't quite fathom "L" is by far the most worn
> out and now appears only as a half length "I".
>
> Some sort of serious mechanical fault tends to arise not long after the
> first key legend completely vanishes.

I am still using my 1993 IBM model M keyboard. All the keys work fine
and the legends are still fine. It doesn't have the "Windows keys", but
since I usually run Linux I haven't had a problem. It has outlasted
several computers and works fine with a PS2 to USB converter.

I have a backup that I got at a surplus sale decades ago for $10. I may
never need it.

Re: Kensington Washable Keyboard

<tieh6a$2pfpc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=108004&group=sci.electronics.design#108004

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 07:47:27 -0700
 by: Don Y - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 14:47 UTC

On 10/15/2022 7:21 AM, Dennis wrote:
> On 10/15/22 07:32, Martin Brown wrote:
>
>> My keyboards fail from wear and tear from usage. First indication that they
>> are on their way out is that some key legends go.
>>
>> O A S D H L C N are all partially gone on my main keyboard ~5 year old.
>> Enter, backspace and Spacebar all have a high polish where I hit them.
>>
>> For some reason that I can't quite fathom "L" is by far the most worn out and
>> now appears only as a half length "I".
>>
>> Some sort of serious mechanical fault tends to arise not long after the first
>> key legend completely vanishes.
>>
> I am still using my 1993 IBM model M keyboard. All the keys work fine and the
> legends are still fine. It doesn't have the "Windows keys", but since I usually
> run Linux I haven't had a problem. It has outlasted several computers and works
> fine with a PS2 to USB converter.
>
> I have a backup that I got at a surplus sale decades ago for $10. I may never
> need it.

I have a model F, predates PS2 (5 pin DIN "XT") that I use with one of
my logic analyzers. Function keys in two columns to the left of the
main keyboard. But, it's noisey (clicky).

It is *heavy* -- a bit over *6* pounds!

I've had to rearrange the keycaps to make it more compatible with
other keyboards (ESC, ~, |).

[Similar problems exist on Sun keyboards. If you regularly use different
types of machines, you have to keep retraining your hands to find the
keys they want...]

Re: Kensington Washable Keyboard

<1bilkh5v72i8hvpjktilal8kme3b74c45c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=108005&group=sci.electronics.design#108005

From: jlar...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 07:58:45 -0700
 by: John Larkin - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 14:58 UTC

On Sat, 15 Oct 2022 08:19:55 -0000 (UTC), Mike Monett VE3BTI
<spamme@not.com> wrote:

>How many times have you spilled coffee or coke on your keyboard and found
>you had to buy a new one?

None. It's a mortal sin to waste coffee.

>How many times have you had to take a key apart to clean it because it had
>gone intermittent?

None. I have taken them apart to disable the caps lock key... various
keyboards need different treatment.

But washable would be nice to keep everything clean. Stick it in the
dishwasher.

>For me, too many times.
>
>Enter the Kensington washable keyboard. Yes, you can dunk it in water with
>no ill effects. It will not pick up lint, and you can use isopropyl alcohol
>to make it shiny as new. The keyboard letters are embedded in the plastic,
>so they will not wear off with use.
>
>The keyboards a more expensive than the plain ones, but you save in the
>time lost having to try to fix a bad keyboard, or go to the store to buy a
>new one.
>
>I prefer the white keyboard with black lettering. This was CDN$ 49.99 on
>April 17, 2022. Today, it has jumped to an astonishing CDN $71.15 + $9.95
>delivery. You can get it at
>
>https://www.amazon.ca/Kensington-K64406US-Washable-Anti-microbial-
>Protection/dp/B0029HPSNG/
>
>It is available in the US for USD $42.81 with $11.28 delivery at
>
>https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0029HPSNG/

I like backlight keys too.

Re: Kensington Washable Keyboard

<cd69ee38-cf5f-4118-b927-89c40ff5a0cbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=108011&group=sci.electronics.design#108011

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 08:54:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 15:54 UTC

On Saturday, October 15, 2022 at 8:33:04 AM UTC-4, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 15/10/2022 09:19, Mike Monett VE3BTI wrote:
> > How many times have you spilled coffee or coke on your keyboard and found
> > you had to buy a new one?
> I find wine to be more of a problem but it has only ever happened the
> once so not something I worry about.
>
> My keyboards fail from wear and tear from usage. First indication that
> they are on their way out is that some key legends go.

I wonder if those legends can be restored, because they go out long before the actual operation of the keyboard does.

Looking at mine more closely, they look like little stickers of some kind.

There are stickers;
https://www.amazon.com/English-Transparent-Keyboard-Stickers-Background/dp/B002FY10TY/

> O A S D H L C N are all partially gone on my main keyboard ~5 year old.
> Enter, backspace and Spacebar all have a high polish where I hit them.
>
> For some reason that I can't quite fathom "L" is by far the most worn
> out and now appears only as a half length "I".
>
> Some sort of serious mechanical fault tends to arise not long after the
> first key legend completely vanishes.
> > How many times have you had to take a key apart to clean it because it had
> > gone intermittent?
> >
> > For me, too many times.
> We used to use the sort you are advocating in chemical laboratories
> where an ordinary PC keyboard's life expectancy was not at all good.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Martin Brown

Re: Kensington Washable Keyboard

<84b859da-6d2d-fec6-710b-f564b66eb7aa@electrooptical.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=108023&group=sci.electronics.design#108023

From: pcdhSpam...@electrooptical.net (Phil Hobbs)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 16:09:19 -0400
 by: Phil Hobbs - Sat, 15 Oct 2022 20:09 UTC

John Larkin wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Oct 2022 08:19:55 -0000 (UTC), Mike Monett VE3BTI
> <spamme@not.com> wrote:
>
>> How many times have you spilled coffee or coke on your keyboard and found
>> you had to buy a new one?
>
> None. It's a mortal sin to waste coffee.
>

>> How many times have you had to take a key apart to clean it because it had
>> gone intermittent?
>
> None. I have taken them apart to disable the caps lock key... various
> keyboards need different treatment.

A bit of 5-minute epoxy does a good job of that on laptops. ;)

> But washable would be nice to keep everything clean. Stick it in the
> dishwasher.

Thinkpads come with drains under the keyboard, so that a spill normally
isn't fatal.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(Typing on a Thinkpad T460P running Qubes OS v.4.11--highly recommended)

Re: Kensington Washable Keyboard

<e5e93143-1c5d-4974-a770-3cae3fa2f34fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=108174&group=sci.electronics.design#108174

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 07:48:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 14:48 UTC

On Saturday, October 15, 2022 at 8:14:12 AM UTC-4, DecadentLinux...@decadence.org wrote:
> Mike Monett VE3BTI <spa...@not.com> wrote in
> > How many times have you spilled coffee or coke on your keyboard
> > and found you had to buy a new one?
> >
> Nope! I have rules about liquids and electronic devices.
>
> As far as coke goes, that stuff is far too expensive to line up over
> a keyboard. :-)

The keyboard isn't rated to withstand those kinds of accidents. The -810H test they perform is purely wipedowns.
https://www.kensington.com/zh-cn/News-Index---Blogs--Press-Center/ergonomic-workspace-blog/13-military-grade-wipe-down-fluid-tests-that-kensington-products-are-subjected-to/

Looks like they use disinfectant wipes for testing. And -810H doesn't say anything about coffee or soft drinks. Generally the MIL-STD stuff is written so loosely and ambiguously, it could mean anything, or may not be one bit applicable to your application, like those cheap shit Pasadena connectors- total garbage.

Then their ad mentions total submersion but they don't say in what.

A truly waterproof keyboard, intended for critical applications, costs much more than $50.

Amazon search turns up an assortment- they even have your roll-up silicon gizmo for about $7 less.

https://www.amazon.com/waterproof-keyboard/s?k=waterproof+keyboard

I wouldn't take that as the last word on the subject.

If you want to protect against spills, then you get a spill resistant keyboard:
https://windowsreport.com/spill-resistant-keyboards/

.... and then I would go with a name brand that's been in business a while and has a good reputation- like Logitech.

Will be hard to beat the price of this:
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Desktop-Durable-Comfortable-keyboard/dp/B003NREDC8?th=1

The marketeers are aware of the kind of people who think a low cost item isn't very good versus an overpriced product they think is excellent, and they adjust their pricing accordingly. I think there are numerous examples of this happening. Put the product out there at low cost and hardly any sales, then up the price significantly, and sales deplete the inventory.

> I kid on the second one, of course.

Re:Kensington Washable Keyboard

<tik1b4$3g2o1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=108186&group=sci.electronics.design#108186

From: martin_r...@verison.net (Martin Rid)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 12:53:52 -0400 (EDT)
 by: Martin Rid - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 16:53 UTC

Mike Monett VE3BTI <spamme@not.com> Wrote in message:r
> How many times have you spilled coffee or coke on your keyboard and found you had to buy a new one?How many times have you had to take a key apart to clean it because it had gone intermittent?For me, too many times.Enter the Kensington washable keyboard. Yes, you can dunk it in water with no ill effects. It will not pick up lint, and you can use isopropyl alcohol to make it shiny as new. The keyboard letters are embedded in the plastic, so they will not wear off with use.The keyboards a more expensive than the plain ones, but you save in the time lost having to try to fix a bad keyboard, or go to the store to buy a new one.I prefer the white keyboard with black lettering. This was CDN$ 49.99 on April 17, 2022. Today, it has jumped to an astonishing CDN $71.15 + $9.95 delivery. You can get it athttps://www.amazon.ca/Kensington-K64406US-Washable-Anti-microbial-Protection/dp/B0029HPSNG/It is available in the US for USD $42.81 with $11.28 delivery athttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B0029HPSNG/It has the following statements. Quote: "Water-proof and washable (do not immerse USB plug)Meets MIL-STD-810H Method 504.3 Contamination by Fluids testing for resistance to breakdown when exposed to c
leaning and disinfecting solvents such as alcohol and bleach for at least 24 hoursPlug and play via USB ; Compatible with Windows 10Soft-touch keys offer a crisp, responsive touch for added comfort, white keyboard with 104-key layoutKeyboard designed for use in many different environments, such as hospitals, government offices, schools and more"The black keyboard is CDN $44.78 with no delivery charge. I guess it has some advantages like it won't show dirt as well, but the white keyboard goes for a long time before you have to brighten it up. Anyway, the black one is here:https://www.amazon.ca/Kensington-K74200CA-Washable-Keyboard-Black/dp/B08SY4NHDB/I guess Kensington is pumping up the price of the white one by putting antimicrobial coating on the keyboard. I seriously doubt it will have much effect.-- MRM

Wetkeys.com

Cheers
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----

Re: Kensington Washable Keyboard

<tikb2m$1grl$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=108198&group=sci.electronics.design#108198

From: Decadent...@decadence.org
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 19:40:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Decadent...@decadence.org - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 19:40 UTC

Fred Bloggs <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote in

> A truly waterproof keyboard, intended for critical applications,
> costs much more than $50.

We had stainless steel chassis waterproof keyboards in some of the
contracts we fulfilled. They were 'mil-spec', and they were not
cheap, full bore industrial keyboards. But the actual keys were soft
keys like those of the roll up design I threw in the loop here.

But the "spill what" abilities of that type of silicon rubber job I
posted are well known. Being wireless I am sure anything short of
fool immersion keeps everything on the outside.

I have an iPad Pro at 12" diagonal measure, but the touchscreen
keyboard they have is one of my most hated. It always "types in"
keys I did not touch and their auto-complete crap is also auto-morph
crap and one has to examine every single line of text typed before
hitting the return key or unintended 'words' get put into your lines
and they are sometimes very ugly or stupid replacements making one
look bad after the send. I hate that and having to re-type and
explain the intended word and cuss about the text morphing crap.

My favorite, though not spill prof in any way shape or form was the
full click-type switch incorporated Radio Shack 105 key keyboard that
had the metal base. It was only the old PS/2 type cabling so sucks
nowadays, but it was a nice fool size keyboard and this fool liked
that. It was a "Tandy 1000" if I recall.

I really don'y like the Hall effect switches use these days.

Re:Kensington Washable Keyboard

<XnsAF33BAF8AADA9idtokenpost@88.198.57.247>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=108211&group=sci.electronics.design#108211

From: spa...@not.com (Mike Monett VE3BTI)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 22:22:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Monett VE3BTI - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 22:22 UTC

Martin Rid <martin_riddle@verison.net> wrote:

> Wetkeys.com
>
> Cheers

Look at the price and shipping cost. Can you get it in white?

Sure, there are lots of washable keyboards. Some are flexible silicon.
These are indestructible but horrible to type on.

Read the customer reports. Check the longevity, difficulty to type on,
general behavior. Sure, you may find some negative reports - read what they
say carefully. They might be talking about the wrong product, don't
understand how to use the product, may have not read the user manual, or
simply have bad luck. Or they might have a legitimate complaint that will
affect you also.

Check the customer support. It may be nonexistent.

There are lots of things to look out for when buying something, especially
from a new or unknown vendor. I am currently fighting Amazon over a product
that was supposedly shipped but never arrived. The vendor is in China and
does not understand English. This has been going on for months. I probably
should give up and learn my lesson.

These things are pretty obvious. Anyone have any other suggestions that
will help avoid mistakes?

--
MRM

Re: Re:Kensington Washable Keyboard

<tikmoe$3hsej$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=108214&group=sci.electronics.design#108214

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Re:Kensington Washable Keyboard
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 15:59:23 -0700
 by: Don Y - Mon, 17 Oct 2022 22:59 UTC

On 10/17/2022 3:22 PM, Mike Monett VE3BTI wrote:
> Martin Rid <martin_riddle@verison.net> wrote:
>
>> Wetkeys.com
>>
>> Cheers
>
> Look at the price and shipping cost. Can you get it in white?
>
> Sure, there are lots of washable keyboards. Some are flexible silicon.
> These are indestructible but horrible to type on.
>
> Read the customer reports. Check the longevity, difficulty to type on,
> general behavior. Sure, you may find some negative reports - read what they
> say carefully. They might be talking about the wrong product, don't
> understand how to use the product, may have not read the user manual, or
> simply have bad luck. Or they might have a legitimate complaint that will
> affect you also.
>
> Check the customer support. It may be nonexistent.
>
> There are lots of things to look out for when buying something, especially
> from a new or unknown vendor. I am currently fighting Amazon over a product
> that was supposedly shipped but never arrived. The vendor is in China and
> does not understand English. This has been going on for months. I probably
> should give up and learn my lesson.
>
> These things are pretty obvious. Anyone have any other suggestions that
> will help avoid mistakes?

Treat inexpensive items as disposable -- don't fret when they
don't "last forever". The time involved in researching (and
fretting over purchases that look to have gone bad) has value.