"All language designers are arrogant. Goes with the territory..." (By Larry Wall)

tech / sci.physics.relativity / Non-euclidean geometry as a major breakthrough

SubjectAuthor
* Non-euclidean geometry as a major breakthroughMaciej Wozniak
`- Re: Non-euclidean geometry as a major breakthroughLaurence Clark Crossen

1
Non-euclidean geometry as a major breakthrough

<2967e33f-fde2-4c03-a492-df8b55e534ebn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=108461&group=sci.physics.relativity#108461

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 22:50:40 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Non-euclidean geometry as a major breakthrough
From: maluwozn...@gmail.com (Maciej Wozniak)
 by: Maciej Wozniak - Fri, 10 Mar 2023 06:50 UTC

Poincare, 1905
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/37157/37157-pdf.pdf
"Most mathematicians regard Lobatschewsky’s geometry as a mere logical curiosity. Some of them have, however, gone further. If several geometries are possible, they say, is it certain that
our geometry is the one that is true? Experiment no
doubt teaches us that the sum of the angles of a triangle is equal to two right angles, but this is because the
triangles we deal with are too small. "

It's 1905, and nobody has yet noticed what an incredible
triumph NEG was. "Most mathematicians regard
Lobatschewsky’s geometry as a mere logical curiosity"...
Nothing about spherical triangles falsifying shabby
Euclid. Oppositely - "Experiment no doubt teaches us
that the sum of the angles of a triangle is equal to two
right angles". Poincare, 1905.

What has changed so dramatically during the last 100
years? Simple. Giant Guru has announced Euclid was
wrong. The history had to be rewritten to show how
unreliable, unworthy, unable to deal with the most
obvious problems we have Euclid geometry always was.
It had to be rewritten, and it was rewritten. Well done.

Re: Non-euclidean geometry as a major breakthrough

<45047932-779c-4472-9adb-33c1770fcaf2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=108528&group=sci.physics.relativity#108528

Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 13:28:35 -0800 (PST)
From: l.c.cros...@hotmail.com (Laurence Clark Crossen)
 by: Laurence Clark Cross - Fri, 10 Mar 2023 21:28 UTC

On Thursday, March 9, 2023 at 10:50:42 PM UTC-8, Maciej Wozniak wrote:
> Poincare, 1905
> https://www.gutenberg.org/files/37157/37157-pdf.pdf
> "Most mathematicians regard Lobatschewsky’s geometry as a mere logical curiosity. Some of them have, however, gone further. If several geometries are possible, they say, is it certain that
> our geometry is the one that is true? Experiment no
> doubt teaches us that the sum of the angles of a triangle is equal to two right angles, but this is because the
> triangles we deal with are too small. "
>

> It's 1905, and nobody has yet noticed what an incredible
> triumph NEG was. "Most mathematicians regard
> Lobatschewsky’s geometry as a mere logical curiosity"...
> Nothing about spherical triangles falsifying shabby
> Euclid. Oppositely - "Experiment no doubt teaches us
> that the sum of the angles of a triangle is equal to two
> right angles". Poincare, 1905.
>
> What has changed so dramatically during the last 100
> years? Simple. Giant Guru has announced Euclid was
> wrong. The history had to be rewritten to show how
> unreliable, unworthy, unable to deal with the most
> obvious problems we have Euclid geometry always was.
> It had to be rewritten, and it was rewritten. Well done.
There is an excellent book criticizing Einstein's Riemannian geometry called Euclid or Einstein A Proof of the Parallel Theory and a Critique of Metageometry by Jeremiah Joseph Callahan (c. 1931).