If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith. -- Albert Einstein

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: LA Times Boiling Point

SubjectAuthor
* LA Times Boiling PointFred Bloggs
`* Re: LA Times Boiling PointJohn Larkin
 `* Re: LA Times Boiling PointFred Bloggs
  +* Re: LA Times Boiling PointFlyguy
  |+- Re: LA Times Boiling PointFred Bloggs
  |`- Re: LA Times Boiling Pointbitrex
  `* Re: LA Times Boiling PointJohn Larkin
   +* Re: LA Times Boiling PointFred Bloggs
   |`* Re: LA Times Boiling PointJohn Larkin
   | +* Re: LA Times Boiling PointFred Bloggs
   | |`- Re: LA Times Boiling PointJohn Larkin
   | +- Re: LA Times Boiling Pointwhit3rd
   | `* Re: LA Times Boiling PointFred Bloggs
   |  +* Re: LA Times Boiling PointJohn Larkin
   |  |`* Re: LA Times Boiling PointFred Bloggs
   |  | `* Re: LA Times Boiling PointJohn Larkin
   |  |  `* Re: LA Times Boiling Pointwhit3rd
   |  |   `* Re: LA Times Boiling PointJohn Larkin
   |  |    `* Re: LA Times Boiling PointFred Bloggs
   |  |     `- Re: LA Times Boiling PointJohn Larkin
   |  `- Re: LA Times Boiling PointFred Bloggs
   `* Re: LA Times Boiling PointJeroen Belleman
    +* Re: LA Times Boiling PointJohn Larkin
    |`* Re: LA Times Boiling PointFred Bloggs
    | `- Re: LA Times Boiling PointJohn Larkin
    `- Re: LA Times Boiling Pointbitrex

Pages:12
Re: LA Times Boiling Point

<f38a8197-edc8-4018-983c-c6670a33d00cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=109060&group=sci.electronics.design#109060

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 09:18:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: LA Times Boiling Point
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Sun, 30 Oct 2022 16:18 UTC

On Saturday, October 29, 2022 at 9:32:51 PM UTC-4, bill....@ieee.org wrote:
> On Sunday, October 30, 2022 at 12:56:04 AM UTC+11, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> > > <snip>

> John Larkin claims not to feel fear, and imagines this to be a virtue. He confuses rational anxieties with panic attacks, becasuse he hasn't experienced either.\
> >
> > > The "little ice age" was rather earlier than than, and pretty much confined to the area around the Atlantic ocean.
> > I bet it wasn't. The LIA was caused by the slowing if not complete cessation of a major warming ocean current, the Gulf Stream. The abrupt addition of large amounts of fresh water at the terminus of the current puts the brakes on it, and that's just the basic physics of ocean circulation, it's not some guess.
> The Gulf Stream does flow through the Atlantic Ocean. The basic physics of ocean circulation is complex.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_multidecadal_oscillation
>
> The first paper on that only got published in1994. The Argo buoys
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argo_(oceanography)
>
> are more recent, but there are only 4000 of them, and there is a lot of ocean to explore. We know about the surface currents like the Gulf Stream, but for the submerged return currents we need the Argo program.
> > The most serious consequence this kind of abrupt reconfiguration has is the damaging effects on marine life. Quite a bit of knowledge on the subject has been accumulated, and one very important takeaway from what we do know is how serious a disruption can be and how little mankind knows about it.. The ocean currents not only distribute warmth, they also distribute nutrients, and they're used by many migrating species ( fish and reptiles, not just birds, and probably insects) for navigation, forming an ingredient critical to the survival of many species.
> Ho hum.
> > Many species are sensitive to very minute environmental changes. The state of Alaska recently took the unprecedented action of waving off the mis-advice of federal environmental authority and canceling the fishing of King crabs and Snow crabs because of record low populations the wildlife biologists could only guess resulted from warmer waters. This is just one of numerous examples.
> > Another consequence related to sea level rise is the abrupt flooding of wetlands at a rate too fast for adaptation resulting in mass die-offs. The consequences of that kind of thing are beyond knowing and quantifying.
> They aren't beyond knowjedge, but you do have to collect a lot of information before you can hope to make sense of what's going on, and that can take a while.

They are in effect beyond knowledge. I've read more than few detailed descriptions of the wildlife biologists of their various projects and just exactly what they had to go through to reach science based conclusions. It takes a long time, years, and requires a lot of creativity and field work. And that's just for a smidgeon of understanding. For something comprehensive to fully evaluate substantially massive wetland loss, everything they need to know is just inaccessible. What they do know will happen, as has been happening, the flora drown in deeper waters, freshwater gets contaminated with salt and kills a lot of creatures- and the creatures who feed off those creatures, contaminated runoff from land is no longer filtered before it hits the ocean, arable land loss in low lying areas like India will have a ginormous impact on food supplies, fisheries will decline, - this list could get long. Just having a real rough idea of something, like your case, is insufficient to put mitigation into practice.