"The lesser of two evils -- is evil." -- Seymour (Sy) Leon

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: LockPickingLawyer Assesses the BoxLock

SubjectAuthor
* LockPickingLawyer Assesses the BoxLockFred Bloggs
`* Re: LockPickingLawyer Assesses the BoxLockDon Y
 `* Re: LockPickingLawyer Assesses the BoxLockFred Bloggs
  `- Re: LockPickingLawyer Assesses the BoxLockDon Y

1
LockPickingLawyer Assesses the BoxLock

<d901fe5e-a667-408e-b863-286bd248fd72n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=109084&group=sci.electronics.design#109084

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 18:22:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: LockPickingLawyer Assesses the BoxLock
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 01:22 UTC

BoxLock is a good idea but they're barely staying afloat. If you go to their website you'll see why. It's written for logistics geeks. The general public isn't going to buy that overcomplicated headache.

The LockPickingLawyer shows how easy it is to open. The quick grab and run types won't take the time to open it this way, but somebody else with inside knowledge of the value of the delivery just might.

To be fair, the LockPickingLawyer should say he can and does open everything, even the best locks from manufacturers who know how to make secure locks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTY3ePV4RY4

Re: LockPickingLawyer Assesses the BoxLock

<tjnkqd$ecko$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=109089&group=sci.electronics.design#109089

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: LockPickingLawyer Assesses the BoxLock
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 22:00:59 -0700
 by: Don Y - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 05:00 UTC

On 10/30/2022 6:22 PM, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> BoxLock is a good idea but they're barely staying afloat. If you go to their
> website you'll see why. It's written for logistics geeks. The general public
> isn't going to buy that overcomplicated headache.

Don't these people have neighbors? I routinely get asked by neighbors to
accept a package that they are expecting; especially nowadays when they
get an *alert* indicating when it will be delivered or when it was *just*
delivered.

I guess if you don't invest in your neighbors, you invest in technology?
Personally, I find neighbors considerably more reliable!

> The LockPickingLawyer shows how easy it is to open. The quick grab and run
> types won't take the time to open it this way, but somebody else with inside
> knowledge of the value of the delivery just might.
>
> To be fair, the LockPickingLawyer should say he can and does open
> everything, even the best locks from manufacturers who know how to make
> secure locks.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTY3ePV4RY4

Re: LockPickingLawyer Assesses the BoxLock

<fd2499f4-7e97-4ba2-81fb-2a7b64ab09b8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=109096&group=sci.electronics.design#109096

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 05:50:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: bloggs.f...@gmail.com (Fred Bloggs)
 by: Fred Bloggs - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 12:50 UTC

On Monday, October 31, 2022 at 1:01:10 AM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:
> On 10/30/2022 6:22 PM, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> > BoxLock is a good idea but they're barely staying afloat. If you go to their
> > website you'll see why. It's written for logistics geeks. The general public
> > isn't going to buy that overcomplicated headache.
> Don't these people have neighbors? I routinely get asked by neighbors to
> accept a package that they are expecting; especially nowadays when they
> get an *alert* indicating when it will be delivered or when it was *just*
> delivered.
>
> I guess if you don't invest in your neighbors, you invest in technology?
> Personally, I find neighbors considerably more reliable!
> > The LockPickingLawyer shows how easy it is to open. The quick grab and run
> > types won't take the time to open it this way, but somebody else with inside
> > knowledge of the value of the delivery just might.
> >
> > To be fair, the LockPickingLawyer should say he can and does open
> > everything, even the best locks from manufacturers who know how to make
> > secure locks.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTY3ePV4RY4

There could be other reasons for using this. If you have a driveway that's a few hundred feet long and you want to spare the delivery driver the headache of driving up to the house and turning around, a secure container by the driveway entrance is what you need. Range is probably an issue with wifi too.

Re: LockPickingLawyer Assesses the BoxLock

<tjq1nc$n2v0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=109140&group=sci.electronics.design#109140

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 19:53:28 -0700
 by: Don Y - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 02:53 UTC

On 10/31/2022 5:50 AM, Fred Bloggs wrote:
> There could be other reasons for using this. If you have a driveway that's a
> few hundred feet long and you want to spare the delivery driver the headache
> of driving up to the house and turning around, a secure container by the
> driveway entrance is what you need. Range is probably an issue with wifi
> too.

Dunno. We're at the edge of town. Houses farther out have
those insanely long driveways -- you can't even see the house from
the street; the only clues to their presence are the driveways
(often not paved due to the cost for that length) and the mailbox
(letter carriers use trucks, here, so mail is delivered to the end of
your driveway, not your house).

USPS will only put packages that fit in your mailbox INTO the mailbox;
others are left at the door.

Hard to imagine FedEx or UPS leaving a package at the roadside;
they bring *my* packages right to my front door so I would assume
they would do similarly for folks with long driveways.

The gated communities likely leave packages at the "gate house".