"It's the best thing since professional golfers on 'ludes." -- Rick Obidiah

tech / rec.photo.digital / World is awash in new lens offerings, but where is the market?

SubjectAuthor
* World is awash in new lens offerings, but where is the market?RichA
+* Re: World is awash in new lens offerings, but where is the market?m-m
|+* Re: World is awash in new lens offerings, but where is the market?David Taylor
||`* Re: World is awash in new lens offerings, but where is the market?newshound
|| `- Re: World is awash in new lens offerings, but where is the market?RichA
|`* Re: World is awash in new lens offerings, but where is the market?Magani
| `* Re: World is awash in new lens offerings, but where is the market?RichA
|  `* Re: World is awash in new lens offerings, but where is the market?David Taylor
|   `- Re: World is awash in new lens offerings, but where is the market?nospam
`* Re: World is awash in new lens offerings, but where is the market?Alfred Molon
 `- Re: World is awash in new lens offerings, but where is the market?RichA

1
World is awash in new lens offerings, but where is the market?

<6dc87afc-44a3-44d5-bd3b-17aa2265f39cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10981&group=rec.photo.digital#10981

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 17:29:05 -0800 (PST)
Subject: World is awash in new lens offerings, but where is the market?
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 01:29 UTC

Every week, 2-3 new lenses are produced. Many from companies new to the market. But, since the DSLR market/mirrorless is 1/10th of what it once was,
where are they going to sell them?

Unlike film, whose sales are on the uptick and have seen a number of new companies with new film offerings, camera sales have stabilized at historically-low levels.

Re: World is awash in new lens offerings, but where is the market?

<171220212115085856%nospam-m@nym.ore>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10982&group=rec.photo.digital#10982

From: nospa...@nym.ore (m-m)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 21:15:08 -0500
 by: m-m - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 02:15 UTC

In article <6dc87afc-44a3-44d5-bd3b-17aa2265f39cn@googlegroups.com>, RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:

> Every week, 2-3 new lenses are produced. Many from companies new to the market. But, since the DSLR market/mirrorless is 1/10th of what it once was,
> where are they going to sell them?
>
> Unlike film, whose sales are on the uptick and have seen a number of new companies with new film offerings, camera sales have stabilized at historically-low levels.

Everyone thinks that since they have an iphone, they don't need a camera.

--
m-m
www.mhmyers.com

Re: World is awash in new lens offerings, but where is the market?

<spjvrn$ma4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10983&group=rec.photo.digital#10983

From: david-ta...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid (David Taylor)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 06:41:58 +0000
 by: David Taylor - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 06:41 UTC

On 18/12/2021 02:15, m-m wrote:
> In article <6dc87afc-44a3-44d5-bd3b-17aa2265f39cn@googlegroups.com>, RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Every week, 2-3 new lenses are produced. Many from companies new to the market. But, since the DSLR market/mirrorless is 1/10th of what it once was,
>> where are they going to sell them?
>>
>> Unlike film, whose sales are on the uptick and have seen a number of new companies with new film offerings, camera sales have stabilized at historically-low levels.
>
> Everyone thinks that since they have an iphone, they don't need a camera.

Or even better, if they have a Pixel phone.

I bought a few lenses when I went to a Panasonic micro-four-thirds camera.
Most recently that was an Olympus macro lens which I have been please with, but
that was over five years ago. Likely I have less need for better quality than
the Pixel phone (with its telephoto lens) as display on a TV screen or
occasionally A4 size print is all I now use.

--
Cheers,
David

Re: World is awash in new lens offerings, but where is the market?

<spkc8g$ids$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10984&group=rec.photo.digital#10984

From: sradclif...@gmail.com (newshound)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 10:13:36 +0000
 by: newshound - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 10:13 UTC

On 18/12/2021 06:41, David Taylor wrote:
> On 18/12/2021 02:15, m-m wrote:
>> In article <6dc87afc-44a3-44d5-bd3b-17aa2265f39cn@googlegroups.com>,
>> RichA <rander3128@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Every week, 2-3 new lenses are produced.  Many from companies new to
>>> the market.  But, since the DSLR market/mirrorless is 1/10th of what
>>> it once was,
>>> where are  they going to sell them?
>>>
>>> Unlike film, whose sales are on the uptick and have seen a number of
>>> new companies with new film offerings, camera sales have stabilized
>>> at historically-low levels.
>>
>> Everyone thinks that since they have an iphone, they don't need a camera.
>
> Or even better, if they have a Pixel phone.
>
> I bought a few lenses when I went to a Panasonic micro-four-thirds
> camera. Most recently that was an Olympus macro lens which I have been
> please with, but that was over five years ago.  Likely I have less need
> for better quality than the Pixel phone (with its telephoto lens) as
> display on a TV screen or occasionally A4 size print is all I now use.

I always find slightly amusing those "lens review" articles full of
image "examples" of better performance of new lenses, where you'd never
see the difference on a phone, tablet, or laptop. (Latest was a Fuji).

Re: World is awash in new lens offerings, but where is the market?

<jYovJ.1277056$LNrd.420141@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10985&group=rec.photo.digital#10985

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: alfred_m...@yahoo.com (Alfred Molon)
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 18:34:07 +0100
 by: Alfred Molon - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 17:34 UTC

Am 18.12.2021 um 02:29 schrieb RichA:
> Every week, 2-3 new lenses are produced. Many from companies new to the market. But, since the DSLR market/mirrorless is 1/10th of what it once was,
> where are they going to sell them?
>
> Unlike film, whose sales are on the uptick and have seen a number of new companies with new film offerings, camera sales have stabilized at historically-low levels.

Well, I bought an 8-25mm lens from Olympus in July, because the focal
length range is very special. The new 20mm/F1.4 is very interesting too.

In any case, what I hear is that Olympus can't make enough of certain
lenses to meet the market demand.
--
Alfred Molon

Olympus 4/3 and micro 4/3 cameras forum at
https://groups.io/g/myolympus
https://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site

Re: World is awash in new lens offerings, but where is the market?

<0b22b1c8-0cc8-4d56-8205-7b29260d05d5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10986&group=rec.photo.digital#10986

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 15:43:28 -0800 (PST)
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 23:43 UTC

On Saturday, 18 December 2021 at 12:34:14 UTC-5, Alfred Molon wrote:
> Am 18.12.2021 um 02:29 schrieb RichA:
> > Every week, 2-3 new lenses are produced. Many from companies new to the market. But, since the DSLR market/mirrorless is 1/10th of what it once was,
> > where are they going to sell them?
> >
> > Unlike film, whose sales are on the uptick and have seen a number of new companies with new film offerings, camera sales have stabilized at historically-low levels.
> Well, I bought an 8-25mm lens from Olympus in July, because the focal
> length range is very special. The new 20mm/F1.4 is very interesting too.
>
> In any case, what I hear is that Olympus can't make enough of certain
> lenses to meet the market demand.
> --
> Alfred Molon
Could be the global shortages at work as much as demand.

Re: World is awash in new lens offerings, but where is the market?

<216f142a-0e84-4baa-8f19-63e8af327bbfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10987&group=rec.photo.digital#10987

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 15:44:28 -0800 (PST)
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 23:44 UTC

On Saturday, 18 December 2021 at 05:13:41 UTC-5, newshound wrote:
> On 18/12/2021 06:41, David Taylor wrote:
> > On 18/12/2021 02:15, m-m wrote:

> >> Everyone thinks that since they have an iphone, they don't need a camera.
> >
> > Or even better, if they have a Pixel phone.
> >
> > I bought a few lenses when I went to a Panasonic micro-four-thirds
> > camera. Most recently that was an Olympus macro lens which I have been
> > please with, but that was over five years ago. Likely I have less need
> > for better quality than the Pixel phone (with its telephoto lens) as
> > display on a TV screen or occasionally A4 size print is all I now use.
> >
> I always find slightly amusing those "lens review" articles full of
> image "examples" of better performance of new lenses, where you'd never
> see the difference on a phone, tablet, or laptop. (Latest was a Fuji).

Much like people who think they need 8K when you can sit 3ft from a 55 inch 4K screen and see detail to the extinction of your eyesight.

Re: World is awash in new lens offerings, but where is the market?

<6af41f47-2807-47cd-a075-b3d678a22612n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10988&group=rec.photo.digital#10988

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 16:05:04 -0800 (PST)
From: cdsr...@gmail.com (Magani)
 by: Magani - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 00:05 UTC

<snip>
> Everyone thinks that since they have an iphone, they don't need a camera.
>
> --
> m-m
> www.mhmyers.com

Well, I've certainly taken one fewer camera when we go (=went) on holidays. I now have a Galaxy S21 and no longer take a point-and-shoot. Samsung for 'happy snaps', Canon D6 and RP for 'serious' stuff.

With the new phone, it's getting more like I own a (reasonable) camera with 3 lenses and that can make phone calls and show me where to go.

Cheers,
Magani

Re: World is awash in new lens offerings, but where is the market?

<d39d9d6e-d816-43e5-826f-0b3ae103922an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10993&group=rec.photo.digital#10993

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 16:07:34 -0800 (PST)
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 00:07 UTC

On Saturday, 18 December 2021 at 19:05:07 UTC-5, Magani wrote:
> <snip>
> > Everyone thinks that since they have an iphone, they don't need a camera.
> >
> > --
> > m-m
> > www.mhmyers.com
> Well, I've certainly taken one fewer camera when we go (=went) on holidays. I now have a Galaxy S21 and no longer take a point-and-shoot. Samsung for 'happy snaps', Canon D6 and RP for 'serious' stuff.
>
> With the new phone, it's getting more like I own a (reasonable) camera with 3 lenses and that can make phone calls and show me where to go.
>
> Cheers,
> Magani

Zoom lenses or multiple lenses in phones puts further pressure on traditional cameras.

Re: World is awash in new lens offerings, but where is the market?

<sprrg0$126$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10997&group=rec.photo.digital#10997

From: david-ta...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid (David Taylor)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 06:16:32 +0000
 by: David Taylor - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 06:16 UTC

On 21/12/2021 00:07, RichA wrote:
> Zoom lenses or multiple lenses in phones puts further pressure on traditional cameras.

I find it confusing when phones are advertised with "a 4x zoom lens" (Pixel 6
Pro), when it's not a "zoom" at all, but a further fixed focus lens!

Oh, well!
--
Cheers,
David

Re: World is awash in new lens offerings, but where is the market?

<211220210800452029%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=10999&group=rec.photo.digital#10999

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 08:00:45 -0500
 by: nospam - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 13:00 UTC

In article <sprrg0$126$1@dont-email.me>, David Taylor
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> I find it confusing when phones are advertised with "a 4x zoom lens" (Pixel 6
> Pro), when it's not a "zoom" at all, but a further fixed focus lens!

what's confusing about it? it functions exactly like an optical zoom
lens. the zooming itself is done in software rather than moving optical
elements and is much better than 'digital zoom', aka upscaling. it's
almost as good as an actual zoom lens.