Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 18:07:06 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Another glad new cheap method for making lenses
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Thu, 23 Dec 2021 02:07 UTC

Will never see the light of commercial production. Why? Because there is no money in it. If a lens company can't claim costly processes, they'll never be able to sell their products at enough of a margin to stay in business. Come back here in 2 years, see if this amounted to anything. This is like SO many stories on tech sites about batteries, electronic breakthroughs, optics. All near-worthless, except maybe for hobbyists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww1NCzLSI7A&t=2s

Re: Another glad new cheap method for making lenses

<253bsgtb348tqnp9l1r7rm1405ndsjhs7m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=11028&group=rec.photo.digital#11028

From: eric.ste...@sum.co.nz (Eric Stevens)
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 22:05:35 +1300
 by: Eric Stevens - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 09:05 UTC

On Wed, 22 Dec 2021 18:07:06 -0800 (PST), RichA <rander3128@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Will never see the light of commercial production. Why? Because there is no money in it. If a lens company can't claim costly processes, they'll never be able to sell their products at enough of a margin to stay in business. Come back here in 2 years, see if this amounted to anything. This is like SO many stories on tech sites about batteries, electronic breakthroughs, optics. All near-worthless, except maybe for hobbyists.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww1NCzLSI7A&t=2s

What a load of cobblers you talk!

Cost of manufacture has nothing to do with selling price.

Sales price is what the market will bear. If you can make it more
cheaply, only your bank manager will love you.

My pick is that that process isn't ready for the precision required of
camera lenses as yet.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens