Wherever you go...There you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai

tech / rec.photo.digital / imgur paste issue

SubjectAuthor
* imgur paste issuesobriquet
`* Re: imgur paste issueDavid Brooks
 +* Re: imgur paste issueDavid Brooks
 |`* Re: imgur paste issuesobriquet
 | `- Re: imgur paste issueDavid Brooks
 `* Re: imgur paste issuesobriquet
  `* Re: imgur paste issueDavid Brooks
   +* Re: imgur paste issuesobriquet
   |`- Re: imgur paste issueDavid Brooks
   `* Re: imgur paste issuesobriquet
    `* Re: imgur paste issueDavid Brooks
     `* Re: imgur paste issuesobriquet
      `- Re: imgur paste issueDavid Brooks

1
imgur paste issue

<8e5548ee-f9c6-4c6e-b487-cd9b1aa933d0n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=11089&group=rec.photo.digital#11089

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 05:30:29 -0800 (PST)
Subject: imgur paste issue
From: dohduh...@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 13:30 UTC

Hi.
Imgur used to be pretty convenient to share images.
You could just take a screenshot and paste it at imgur to obtain
a link for easy sharing in mail or chat...
But lately it's been acting weird.
When I paste an image, initially it seems to work and the image
is briefly visible at imgur, but then it suddenly shows an error
and I don't end up with a link.
Here is what the error looks like:
https://imgbox.com/l9Hsc6uC

So now I tend to use imgbox, but the downside is that you can't
upload from an url or paste images from the clipboard, so there
is the extra hassle of saving an image first on the computer so
it can be uploaded to imgbox to obtain a link for easy sharing.

Does anyone have any idea why imgur is seemlingly no longer able
to accept pasted images from the clipboard?
Or possibly an alternative that is more convenient than imgbox for easy sharing?
And by easy sharing I mean that you have to be able to share images
without an associated account/registration/etc..

Re: imgur paste issue

<mRADJ.131003$%Gk6.56083@fx10.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=11092&group=rec.photo.digital#11092

Subject: Re: imgur paste issue
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: Dav...@geemail.invalid (David Brooks)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 13:38:26 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 13:38 UTC

On 11/01/2022 13:30, sobriquet wrote:
> Hi.
> Imgur used to be pretty convenient to share images.
> You could just take a screenshot and paste it at imgur to obtain
> a link for easy sharing in mail or chat...
> But lately it's been acting weird.
> When I paste an image, initially it seems to work and the image
> is briefly visible at imgur, but then it suddenly shows an error
> and I don't end up with a link.
> Here is what the error looks like:
> https://imgbox.com/l9Hsc6uC
>
> So now I tend to use imgbox, but the downside is that you can't
> upload from an url or paste images from the clipboard, so there
> is the extra hassle of saving an image first on the computer so
> it can be uploaded to imgbox to obtain a link for easy sharing.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why imgur is seemlingly no longer able
> to accept pasted images from the clipboard?
> Or possibly an alternative that is more convenient than imgbox for easy sharing?
> And by easy sharing I mean that you have to be able to share images
> without an associated account/registration/etc.

Your link didn't go to imgur! (imgbox.com looks similar though)

Here's one of my old photos from my visit to Chloride, Arizona, USA

https://i.imgur.com/MVXjPIb.jpg

Works just fine for me!

Re: imgur paste issue

<KXADJ.18404$0Kl7.11431@fx11.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=11093&group=rec.photo.digital#11093

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: Dav...@geemail.invalid (David Brooks)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 13:45:13 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 13:45 UTC

On 12/01/2022 13:38, David Brooks wrote:
> Works just fine for me!

Here's another link produced in a different way.

https://imgur.com/lJqjXeO

That was a bit of recent 'fun' (in bad taste!)

Re: imgur paste issue

<7c65f03d-3bc7-4afc-bea7-62e16a6beafen@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=11100&group=rec.photo.digital#11100

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 11:28:45 -0800 (PST)
From: dohduh...@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 19:28 UTC

On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 2:45:20 PM UTC+1, David Brooks wrote:
> On 12/01/2022 13:38, David Brooks wrote:
> > Works just fine for me!
> Here's another link produced in a different way.
>
> https://imgur.com/lJqjXeO
>
> That was a bit of recent 'fun' (in bad taste!)

Did you paste the image directly into imgur?
Perhaps it's a temporary issue.

I tried pasting again and this time it worked.
https://i.imgur.com/OT395md.png

Perhaps it also depends where you're pasting from (like whether you took a
screenshot with Alt-PrtScr or copied an image to the clipboard from irfanview
or paint).

Re: imgur paste issue

<d8614ee5-b2ce-4a6e-ac25-3c292c330b07n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=11101&group=rec.photo.digital#11101

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 11:32:37 -0800 (PST)
From: dohduh...@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Thu, 13 Jan 2022 19:32 UTC

On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 2:38:33 PM UTC+1, David Brooks wrote:
> On 11/01/2022 13:30, sobriquet wrote:
> > Hi.
> > Imgur used to be pretty convenient to share images.
> > You could just take a screenshot and paste it at imgur to obtain
> > a link for easy sharing in mail or chat...
> > But lately it's been acting weird.
> > When I paste an image, initially it seems to work and the image
> > is briefly visible at imgur, but then it suddenly shows an error
> > and I don't end up with a link.
> > Here is what the error looks like:
> > https://imgbox.com/l9Hsc6uC
> >
> > So now I tend to use imgbox, but the downside is that you can't
> > upload from an url or paste images from the clipboard, so there
> > is the extra hassle of saving an image first on the computer so
> > it can be uploaded to imgbox to obtain a link for easy sharing.
> >
> > Does anyone have any idea why imgur is seemlingly no longer able
> > to accept pasted images from the clipboard?
> > Or possibly an alternative that is more convenient than imgbox for easy sharing?
> > And by easy sharing I mean that you have to be able to share images
> > without an associated account/registration/etc.
> Your link didn't go to imgur! (imgbox.com looks similar though)

Imgbox has the advantage that the contents are more private, since screenshots
on imgur can be seen by people visiting the imgur site, as far as I know.
Another advantage is that imgbox will present a nice thumbnail overview if you
upload a whole bunch of images. Imgur used to have that feature, but for some
mysterious reason they removed it.

> Here's one of my old photos from my visit to Chloride, Arizona, USA
>
> https://i.imgur.com/MVXjPIb.jpg
>
> Works just fine for me!

Re: imgur paste issue

<DudEJ.92570$Fpb6.20051@fx12.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=11112&group=rec.photo.digital#11112

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: Dav...@invalid.invalid (David Brooks)
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 11:53:07 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 11:53 UTC

On 13/01/2022 19:32, sobriquet wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 2:38:33 PM UTC+1, David Brooks wrote:
>> On 11/01/2022 13:30, sobriquet wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>> Imgur used to be pretty convenient to share images.
>>> You could just take a screenshot and paste it at imgur to obtain
>>> a link for easy sharing in mail or chat...
>>> But lately it's been acting weird.
>>> When I paste an image, initially it seems to work and the image
>>> is briefly visible at imgur, but then it suddenly shows an error
>>> and I don't end up with a link.
>>> Here is what the error looks like:
>>> https://imgbox.com/l9Hsc6uC
>>>
>>> So now I tend to use imgbox, but the downside is that you can't
>>> upload from an url or paste images from the clipboard, so there
>>> is the extra hassle of saving an image first on the computer so
>>> it can be uploaded to imgbox to obtain a link for easy sharing.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any idea why imgur is seemlingly no longer able
>>> to accept pasted images from the clipboard?
>>> Or possibly an alternative that is more convenient than imgbox for easy sharing?
>>> And by easy sharing I mean that you have to be able to share images
>>> without an associated account/registration/etc.
>> Your link didn't go to imgur! (imgbox.com looks similar though)
>
> Imgbox has the advantage that the contents are more private, since screenshots
> on imgur can be seen by people visiting the imgur site, as far as I know.
> Another advantage is that imgbox will present a nice thumbnail overview if you
> upload a whole bunch of images. Imgur used to have that feature, but for some
> mysterious reason they removed it.

Thank you. :-D

Here's a test image I've just tried:-

https://imgbox.com/RRzbtxQQ

Can the location be extracted from this image?

(EXIF or any other method)

Re: imgur paste issue

<CDdEJ.447115$SVq5.390443@fx14.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=11113&group=rec.photo.digital#11113

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: Dav...@invalid.invalid (David Brooks)
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 12:02:42 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 12:02 UTC

On 13/01/2022 19:28, sobriquet wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 2:45:20 PM UTC+1, David Brooks wrote:
>> On 12/01/2022 13:38, David Brooks wrote:
>>> Works just fine for me!
>> Here's another link produced in a different way.
>>
>> https://imgur.com/lJqjXeO
>>
>> That was a bit of recent 'fun' (in bad taste!)
>
> Did you paste the image directly into imgur?
> Perhaps it's a temporary issue.

No. I simply 'upload' images directly from my Apple iMac

> I tried pasting again and this time it worked.
> https://i.imgur.com/OT395md.png

Gremlins!

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/7s80ezmm0l

> Perhaps it also depends where you're pasting from (like whether you took a
> screenshot with Alt-PrtScr or copied an image to the clipboard from irfanview
> or paint).

That's reminding me of my days using a Windows computer!

Re: imgur paste issue

<05890f67-6b30-4e4f-812f-6ddbfbbabce8n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=11115&group=rec.photo.digital#11115

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 05:24:21 -0800 (PST)
From: dohduh...@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 13:24 UTC

On Friday, January 14, 2022 at 12:53:14 PM UTC+1, David Brooks wrote:
> On 13/01/2022 19:32, sobriquet wrote:

> >> Your link didn't go to imgur! (imgbox.com looks similar though)
> >
> > Imgbox has the advantage that the contents are more private, since screenshots
> > on imgur can be seen by people visiting the imgur site, as far as I know.
> > Another advantage is that imgbox will present a nice thumbnail overview if you
> > upload a whole bunch of images. Imgur used to have that feature, but for some
> > mysterious reason they removed it.
> Thank you. :-D
>
> Here's a test image I've just tried:-
>
> https://imgbox.com/RRzbtxQQ
>
> Can the location be extracted from this image?
>
> (EXIF or any other method)

No, it looks like the image was converted to gif and I think that strips it of any exif
information that is usually contained in a jpg.

Re: imgur paste issue

<O_eEJ.55027$Imt7.42932@fx09.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=11116&group=rec.photo.digital#11116

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: Dav...@invalid.invalid (David Brooks)
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 13:35:42 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 13:35 UTC

On 14/01/2022 13:24, sobriquet wrote:
> On Friday, January 14, 2022 at 12:53:14 PM UTC+1, David Brooks wrote:

>>> Imgbox has the advantage that the contents are more private, since screenshots
>>> on imgur can be seen by people visiting the imgur site, as far as I know.
>>> Another advantage is that imgbox will present a nice thumbnail overview if you
>>> upload a whole bunch of images. Imgur used to have that feature, but for some
>>> mysterious reason they removed it.
>> Thank you. :-D
>>
>> Here's a test image I've just tried:-
>>
>> https://imgbox.com/RRzbtxQQ
>>
>> Can the location be extracted from this image?
>>
>> (EXIF or any other method)
>
> No, it looks like the image was converted to gif and I think that strips it of any exif
> information that is usually contained in a jpg.

Many thanks for so advising.

--
David

Re: imgur paste issue

<6a7c486b-7793-45f5-ad32-61899cd26914n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=11118&group=rec.photo.digital#11118

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 08:33:39 -0800 (PST)
From: dohduh...@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 16:33 UTC

On Friday, January 14, 2022 at 12:53:14 PM UTC+1, David Brooks wrote:
> On 13/01/2022 19:32, sobriquet wrote:

> >> Your link didn't go to imgur! (imgbox.com looks similar though)
> >
> > Imgbox has the advantage that the contents are more private, since screenshots
> > on imgur can be seen by people visiting the imgur site, as far as I know.
> > Another advantage is that imgbox will present a nice thumbnail overview if you
> > upload a whole bunch of images. Imgur used to have that feature, but for some
> > mysterious reason they removed it.
> Thank you. :-D
>
> Here's a test image I've just tried:-
>
> https://imgbox.com/RRzbtxQQ
>
> Can the location be extracted from this image?
>
> (EXIF or any other method)

Visually it's trivial to locate images with such prominent landmarks of course...
https://tinyurl.com/bde3hpph

Re: imgur paste issue

<mQiEJ.44618$ASha.8668@fx06.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=11119&group=rec.photo.digital#11119

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: Dav...@invalid.invalid (David Brooks)
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 17:57:38 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 17:57 UTC

On 14/01/2022 16:33, sobriquet wrote:
> On Friday, January 14, 2022 at 12:53:14 PM UTC+1, David Brooks wrote:

>>> Imgbox has the advantage that the contents are more private, since screenshots
>>> on imgur can be seen by people visiting the imgur site, as far as I know.
>>> Another advantage is that imgbox will present a nice thumbnail overview if you
>>> upload a whole bunch of images. Imgur used to have that feature, but for some
>>> mysterious reason they removed it.
>> Thank you. :-D
>>
>> Here's a test image I've just tried:-
>>
>> https://imgbox.com/RRzbtxQQ
>>
>> Can the location be extracted from this image?
>>
>> (EXIF or any other method)
>
> Visually it's trivial to locate images with such prominent landmarks of course...
> https://tinyurl.com/bde3hpph

Ha! 🙂

May I ask HOW you found that image?

(You are correct!)

Re: imgur paste issue

<6aa151fe-7f0b-4deb-bfe0-5148afe2f088n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=11120&group=rec.photo.digital#11120

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 10:04:01 -0800 (PST)
From: dohduh...@yahoo.com (sobriquet)
 by: sobriquet - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 18:04 UTC

On Friday, January 14, 2022 at 6:57:47 PM UTC+1, David Brooks wrote:
> On 14/01/2022 16:33, sobriquet wrote:

> >> Thank you. :-D
> >>
> >> Here's a test image I've just tried:-
> >>
> >> https://imgbox.com/RRzbtxQQ
> >>
> >> Can the location be extracted from this image?
> >>
> >> (EXIF or any other method)
> >
> > Visually it's trivial to locate images with such prominent landmarks of course...
> > https://tinyurl.com/bde3hpph
> Ha! 🙂
>
> May I ask HOW you found that image?
>
> (You are correct!)

When using images.google.com, you can search for an image by url and google
will find similar images.
https://i.imgur.com/Ay1cVFN.png

Equivalently, right-clicking the image in google chrome and choosing "Search image
with Google Lens" yields similar results.

Re: imgur paste issue

<3fkEJ.134362$%Gk6.61353@fx10.ams1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=11128&group=rec.photo.digital#11128

Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
From: Dav...@invalid.invalid (David Brooks)
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 19:34:22 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 19:34 UTC

Thank you so much.

Much appreciated. :-D

--
David B.