Different all twisty a of in maze are you, passages little.

tech / sci.electronics.design / Re: OT Total Eclipse 144 days' time

SubjectAuthor
* OT Total Eclipse 144 days' timeCursitor Doom
`* Re: OT Total Eclipse 144 days' timeJohn Larkin
 +* Re: OT Total Eclipse 144 days' timeCursitor Doom
 |`* Re: OT Total Eclipse 144 days' timeCursitor Doom
 | `- Re: OT Total Eclipse 144 days' timecorvid
 `- Re: OT Total Eclipse 144 days' timeMartin Brown

1
OT Total Eclipse 144 days' time

<ggr4oh12lg2ftpmu1k7lom39dh74112h8q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=110921&group=sci.electronics.design#110921

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: OT Total Eclipse 144 days' time
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 19:57:39 +0000
 by: Cursitor Doom - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 19:57 UTC

Gentlemen,

Do I have any other fellow eclipse-chasers here on this group? There's
a total eclipse on the 20th April next year which I shall be
attending. Now normally when I travel any distance I'll email people
I'm on good terms with and try to arrange a meet up. BUT - and it's a
BIG but - this one's in Australia; the land of trolls and no one worth
inviting. It's a pity what will probably be my last eclipse will have
to be spent among such people, but the orbit of the Earth is something
over which I don't have much control! So - are any other
non-Australians planning on venturing to the antipodes for this unique
and awesome natural event?

CD.

Re: OT Total Eclipse 144 days' time

<a6s4ohd80v5q41uomgf82tcuch8dasflvp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=110925&group=sci.electronics.design#110925

From: jlar...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: OT Total Eclipse 144 days' time
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 12:04:56 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 20:04 UTC

On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 19:57:39 +0000, Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com>
wrote:

>Gentlemen,
>
>Do I have any other fellow eclipse-chasers here on this group? There's
>a total eclipse on the 20th April next year which I shall be
>attending. Now normally when I travel any distance I'll email people
>I'm on good terms with and try to arrange a meet up. BUT - and it's a
>BIG but - this one's in Australia; the land of trolls and no one worth
>inviting. It's a pity what will probably be my last eclipse will have
>to be spent among such people, but the orbit of the Earth is something
>over which I don't have much control! So - are any other
>non-Australians planning on venturing to the antipodes for this unique
>and awesome natural event?
>
>CD.

I've been through one total solar eclipse. It was fun, but I don't
need another. They are all alike.

Is there an eclipse party thing? Like geezer rock concerts?

Re: OT Total Eclipse 144 days' time

<tov4ohtvqcfbc9nfeqkqn6ajf75rk4dmba@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=110927&group=sci.electronics.design#110927

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 21:06:47 +0000
 by: Cursitor Doom - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 21:06 UTC

On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 12:04:56 -0800, John Larkin
<jlarkin@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 19:57:39 +0000, Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Gentlemen,
>>
>>Do I have any other fellow eclipse-chasers here on this group? There's
>>a total eclipse on the 20th April next year which I shall be
>>attending. Now normally when I travel any distance I'll email people
>>I'm on good terms with and try to arrange a meet up. BUT - and it's a
>>BIG but - this one's in Australia; the land of trolls and no one worth
>>inviting. It's a pity what will probably be my last eclipse will have
>>to be spent among such people, but the orbit of the Earth is something
>>over which I don't have much control! So - are any other
>>non-Australians planning on venturing to the antipodes for this unique
>>and awesome natural event?
>>
>>CD.
>
>I've been through one total solar eclipse. It was fun, but I don't
>need another. They are all alike.

Each to their own I suppose. I find every one totally jaw-dropping.

>Is there an eclipse party thing? Like geezer rock concerts?

It's visible from a narrow strip on the NW coast of W. Australia so
all the party-animals will be concentrated in that area, which is
unfortunate as they are most obnoxious race to have to breath the same
air as. Hopefully I'll be able to charter a boat and get a few hundred
yards off-shore in glorious, silent isolation.

Re: OT Total Eclipse 144 days' time

<59l7ohlh3stj21eguv14gg53c7m4gs7ull@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=110989&group=sci.electronics.design#110989

From: cd...@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 21:51:39 +0000
 by: Cursitor Doom - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 21:51 UTC

On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 18:19:37 -0800 (PST), Anthony William Sloman
<bill.sloman@ieee.org> wrote:

>On Sunday, November 27, 2022 at 8:06:56 AM UTC+11, Cursitor Doom wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 12:04:56 -0800, John Larkin
>> <jla...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com> wrote:

>> >I've been through one total solar eclipse. It was fun, but I don't
>> >need another. They are all alike.
>>
>> Each to their own I suppose. I find every one totally jaw-dropping.
>
>Cursitor Doom is remarkably stupid. If you didn't understand what was going on - in terms of lumps of rock in orbit casting shadows - it might be impressive, but once you do it's a bit tedious.

It's hard to explain. A bit like why some people ride
Harley-Davidsons: if they have to explain the attraction, you wouldn't
understand it anyway. And the biggest impediment to your understanding
is that other lump of rock - the one between your ears.

Re: OT Total Eclipse 144 days' time

<tm0vpa$1lc8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=110995&group=sci.electronics.design#110995

From: bl...@ckb.ird (corvid)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 16:35:54 -0800
 by: corvid - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 00:35 UTC

On 11/27/22 13:51, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 18:19:37 -0800 (PST), Anthony William Sloman
> <bill.sloman@ieee.org> wrote:
>>
>> Cursitor Doom is remarkably stupid. If you didn't understand what
>> was going on - in terms of lumps of rock in orbit casting shadows
>> - it might be impressive, but once you do it's a bit tedious.
>>

> It's hard to explain. A bit like why some people ride
> Harley-Davidsons: if they have to explain the attraction, you
> wouldn't understand it anyway.

Many don't even require the bike, a Harley sticker on the truck's back
window satisfies their need.

Re: OT Total Eclipse 144 days' time

<tm1umk$1f7m$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=111021&group=sci.electronics.design#111021

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 09:23:31 +0000
 by: Martin Brown - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 09:23 UTC

On 26/11/2022 20:04, John Larkin wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 19:57:39 +0000, Cursitor Doom <cd@notformail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Gentlemen,
>>
>> Do I have any other fellow eclipse-chasers here on this group? There's
>> a total eclipse on the 20th April next year which I shall be
>> attending. Now normally when I travel any distance I'll email people
>> I'm on good terms with and try to arrange a meet up. BUT - and it's a
>> BIG but - this one's in Australia; the land of trolls and no one worth
>> inviting. It's a pity what will probably be my last eclipse will have
>> to be spent among such people, but the orbit of the Earth is something
>> over which I don't have much control! So - are any other
>> non-Australians planning on venturing to the antipodes for this unique
>> and awesome natural event?
>>
>> CD.
>
> I've been through one total solar eclipse. It was fun, but I don't
> need another. They are all alike.

They are not quite all alike. Though America did have a really good long
one not all that long since. Friends travelled to see it.

Depending on the stage of the solar cycle you can get to see impressive
prominences and solar corona streamers during totality. Those details
are different every time. Seeing one for real is impressive even when
you know exactly what is going on and for the ancients it must have been
pretty terrifying to see the sun eaten like that.

The Jesuit scholar Ferdinand Verbiest used modern (heretical) tables of
the sun to defeat Chinese astronomers at predicting eclipses and as such
saved his life and converted the then emperor to Christianity. It is a
truly hair raising tale - well worth a read!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Verbiest

We know so much about medieval techniques because the Chinese made wood
block prints showing how Verbiest accomplished things. He was
surprisingly good at casting cannons and boring them and it is claimed
made the worlds first steam powered automobile as a present for the
emperor. He was highly honoured in the Chinese court. Parts of the
observatory that he built in Biejing still survive.

The last total solar eclipse visible from my home country of UK was 1999
August 11th. I had looked forward to it from being a child. In fact the
UK was clouded out completely. I never expected that when it occurred I
would actually be living in Belgium and observing it by driving to a
satellite predicted gap in the clouds over Luxemburg.

> Is there an eclipse party thing? Like geezer rock concerts?

There are eclipse chasers who will go to almost any lengths to be at the
better ones with longish totality. You will have to pick your location
very carefully for this one to even see totality - it will be ring of
fire for a fair chunk before and after true totality.

https://www.newscientist.com/tours/total-solar-eclipse-australia/

Worth checking the typical weather conditions too at that time of year
in NW Australia before chasing half way round the world. I don't think
it is worth it for just 1 minute of true totality. YMMV

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/advice/solar-lunar-eclipse-guide-when-where/

--
Regards,
Martin Brown