Oh, so there you are!

tech / sci.electronics.design / Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cable

SubjectAuthor
* Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cableAK
+* Re: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cableLasse Langwadt Christensen
|`* Re: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cableDon Y
| `* Re: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cableAK
|  `* Re: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cableDon Y
|   +- Re: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cableDon Y
|   `* Re: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cableAK
|    `- Re: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cableDon Y
+* Re: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cableJohn Larkin
|`- Re: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cableAK
+- Re: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cablelegg
+* Re: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cableJan Panteltje
|`* Re: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cableAK
| `- Re: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cableJan Panteltje
`- Re: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cableJasen Betts

1
Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cable

<2ee2b7ac-183a-42da-be1c-b3e17f3a6875n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=111720&group=sci.electronics.design#111720

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 08:55:48 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cable
From: scientis...@gmail.com (AK)
 by: AK - Wed, 7 Dec 2022 16:55 UTC

Because there are some pretty sharp "cookies" here, I thought I would post a challenge.

I am looking for a camera that does NOT require a smart phone in order to display it's videos/images.

I have a Microsoft Webcam HD 500 and it has a usb connector.

I am thinking I might be able to get a cable extension that is at least 23 feet so I can run it across my ceiling to my window. I would mount the camera inside.

Not sure if there will be a signal loss too great for that distance.

There may be signal boosters?

I have a soldering station, and various electronic components such as resistors, caps, blank circuit boards, etc. if I would require to make the necessary components.

Thanks,
Andy

What do you scholars and inventors think?

Thanks,
Andy

Re: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cable

<d7fc66a6-198d-4a5e-b8b2-8b46a0908ef6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=111721&group=sci.electronics.design#111721

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 09:25:23 -0800 (PST)
From: langw...@fonz.dk (Lasse Langwadt Christensen)
 by: Lasse Langwadt Chris - Wed, 7 Dec 2022 17:25 UTC

onsdag den 7. december 2022 kl. 17.55.53 UTC+1 skrev AK:
> Because there are some pretty sharp "cookies" here, I thought I would post a challenge.
>
> I am looking for a camera that does NOT require a smart phone in order to display it's videos/images.
>
> I have a Microsoft Webcam HD 500 and it has a usb connector.
>
> I am thinking I might be able to get a cable extension that is at least 23 feet so I can run it across my ceiling to my window. I would mount the camera inside.
>
> Not sure if there will be a signal loss too great for that distance.
>
> There may be signal boosters?
>
> I have a soldering station, and various electronic components such as resistors, caps, blank circuit boards, etc. if I would require to make the necessary components.
>
> Thanks,
> Andy
>

> What do you scholars and inventors think?

USB is max 5meter so you'll need an active extender cable and then you'll like have problems with power unless the extender has it's own supply

much simpler to just buy a camera with ethernet, most come with PoE so you only need the ethernet cable and can keep the supply at the computer ...

Re: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cable

<ijj1phdf09pkaufe6045drgti537lffj84@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=111722&group=sci.electronics.design#111722

From: jlar...@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com (John Larkin)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2022 09:41:04 -0800
 by: John Larkin - Wed, 7 Dec 2022 17:41 UTC

On Wed, 7 Dec 2022 08:55:48 -0800 (PST), AK <scientist77017@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Because there are some pretty sharp "cookies" here, I thought I would post a challenge.
>
>I am looking for a camera that does NOT require a smart phone in order to display it's videos/images.
>
>I have a Microsoft Webcam HD 500 and it has a usb connector.
>
>I am thinking I might be able to get a cable extension that is at least 23 feet so I can run it across my ceiling to my window. I would mount the camera inside.
>
>Not sure if there will be a signal loss too great for that distance.
>
>There may be signal boosters?
>
>I have a soldering station, and various electronic components such as resistors, caps, blank circuit boards, etc. if I would require to make the necessary components.
>
>Thanks,
> Andy
>

>What do you scholars and inventors think?
>
>Thanks,
>Andy

There are active usb booster cables. I use one for a cam at our cabin,
so I can see the snow and vehicles in the driveway. Total run from PC
to cam is maybe 35 feet.

Amazon has them. You could also use a USB hub as a booster.

Your thing may just work without a booster.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o3ty4peee5vw911/Driveway_2022.jpg?raw=1

That's a cheapish cam, outside, and the colors get a little strange
when it's very cold. Good enough, I guess.

Re: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cable

<tmqkm0$k46u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=111723&group=sci.electronics.design#111723

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 11:05:35 -0700
 by: Don Y - Wed, 7 Dec 2022 18:05 UTC

On 12/7/2022 10:25 AM, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote:
> onsdag den 7. december 2022 kl. 17.55.53 UTC+1 skrev AK:
>> Because there are some pretty sharp "cookies" here, I thought I would post
>> a challenge.
>>
>> I am looking for a camera that does NOT require a smart phone in order to
>> display it's videos/images.

Because you don't *have* a smartphone?

I.e., you can likely find an app that converts the camera(s) in
a smart phone to a wifi based device. Then, providing power
to the phone would be the issue.

>> I have a Microsoft Webcam HD 500 and it has a usb connector.
>>
>> I am thinking I might be able to get a cable extension that is at least 23
>> feet so I can run it across my ceiling to my window. I would mount the
>> camera inside.
>>
>> Not sure if there will be a signal loss too great for that distance.
>>
>> There may be signal boosters?
>
> USB is max 5meter so you'll need an active extender cable and then you'll
> like have problems with power unless the extender has it's own supply
>
> much simpler to just buy a camera with ethernet, most come with PoE so you
> only need the ethernet cable and can keep the supply at the computer ...

+42

For individual cameras, PoE powered makes the most sense.
Note that you can also find PTZ cameras that will just
"drop onto" that sort of cable, later on, as your needs
change.

(And, you can support dozens of them instead of being
limited by the number of USB ports on your machine)

Re: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cable

<qtr1pht3ebg3bq7m1tlsmd3or9dj1q44db@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=111727&group=sci.electronics.design#111727

From: leg...@nospam.magma.ca (legg)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2022 14:57:28 -0500
 by: legg - Wed, 7 Dec 2022 19:57 UTC

wrote:

>Because there are some pretty sharp "cookies" here, I thought I would post a challenge.
>
>I am looking for a camera that does NOT require a smart phone in order to display it's videos/images.
>
>I have a Microsoft Webcam HD 500 and it has a usb connector.
>
>I am thinking I might be able to get a cable extension that is at least 23 feet so I can run it across my ceiling to my window. I would mount the camera inside.
>
>Not sure if there will be a signal loss too great for that distance.
>
>There may be signal boosters?
>
>I have a soldering station, and various electronic components such as resistors, caps, blank circuit boards, etc. if I would require to make the necessary components.
>
>Thanks,
> Andy
>

>What do you scholars and inventors think?
>
>Thanks,
>Andy

A USB isolator will serve as a booster - more expensive ones
without an external supply.

I've only used them in the middle of a 24' low data rate connection.

RL

Re: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cable

<bc73eff9-d829-4521-8c5a-1e7532f60229n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=111736&group=sci.electronics.design#111736

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 14:14:36 -0800 (PST)
From: scientis...@gmail.com (AK)
 by: AK - Wed, 7 Dec 2022 22:14 UTC

On Wednesday, December 7, 2022 at 12:06:00 PM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:
> On 12/7/2022 10:25 AM, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote:
> > onsdag den 7. december 2022 kl. 17.55.53 UTC+1 skrev AK:
> >> Because there are some pretty sharp "cookies" here, I thought I would post
> >> a challenge.
> >>
> >> I am looking for a camera that does NOT require a smart phone in order to
> >> display it's videos/images.
> Because you don't *have* a smartphone?
>
> I.e., you can likely find an app that converts the camera(s) in
> a smart phone to a wifi based device. Then, providing power
> to the phone would be the issue.
> >> I have a Microsoft Webcam HD 500 and it has a usb connector.
> >>
> >> I am thinking I might be able to get a cable extension that is at least 23
> >> feet so I can run it across my ceiling to my window. I would mount the
> >> camera inside.
> >>
> >> Not sure if there will be a signal loss too great for that distance.
> >>
> >> There may be signal boosters?
> >
> > USB is max 5meter so you'll need an active extender cable and then you'll
> > like have problems with power unless the extender has it's own supply
> >
> > much simpler to just buy a camera with ethernet, most come with PoE so you
> > only need the ethernet cable and can keep the supply at the computer ...
> +42
>
> For individual cameras, PoE powered makes the most sense.
> Note that you can also find PTZ cameras that will just
> "drop onto" that sort of cable, later on, as your needs
> change.
>
> (And, you can support dozens of them instead of being
> limited by the number of USB ports on your machine)

I have a smart phone.

I want to be able to view and possibly record video on my desktop.

Re: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cable

<48050bb6-95c1-493e-9d20-72f270d97e94n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=111737&group=sci.electronics.design#111737

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 14:19:06 -0800 (PST)
From: scientis...@gmail.com (AK)
 by: AK - Wed, 7 Dec 2022 22:19 UTC

On Wednesday, December 7, 2022 at 11:41:17 AM UTC-6, John Larkin wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Dec 2022 08:55:48 -0800 (PST), AK <scienti...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >Because there are some pretty sharp "cookies" here, I thought I would post a challenge.
> >
> >I am looking for a camera that does NOT require a smart phone in order to display it's videos/images.
> >
> >I have a Microsoft Webcam HD 500 and it has a usb connector.
> >
> >I am thinking I might be able to get a cable extension that is at least 23 feet so I can run it across my ceiling to my window. I would mount the camera inside.
> >
> >Not sure if there will be a signal loss too great for that distance.
> >
> >There may be signal boosters?
> >
> >I have a soldering station, and various electronic components such as resistors, caps, blank circuit boards, etc. if I would require to make the necessary components.
> >
> >Thanks,
> > Andy
> >

> >What do you scholars and inventors think?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Andy
> There are active usb booster cables. I use one for a cam at our cabin,
> so I can see the snow and vehicles in the driveway. Total run from PC
> to cam is maybe 35 feet.
>
> Amazon has them. You could also use a USB hub as a booster.
>
> Your thing may just work without a booster.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/o3ty4peee5vw911/Driveway_2022.jpg?raw=1
>
> That's a cheapish cam, outside, and the colors get a little strange
> when it's very cold. Good enough, I guess.

You get the gold star for your ideas.

I found this, but I am not sure if this is what I need.

https://tripplite.eaton.com/usb-c-active-extension-cable-usb-c-usb-a-10m-32-ft~U33010M1

I have a usb 3.0 port on the front of my desktop and one in the back.

My plan would be to run the cable across the ceiling to the front window.

I do not care how "tacky" it looks. :-)

I would aim the webcam from inside and avoid issues of weather, even though I have a covered porch.

Andy

Re: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cable

<tmr3ja$lgvs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=111738&group=sci.electronics.design#111738

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 15:20:08 -0700
 by: Don Y - Wed, 7 Dec 2022 22:20 UTC

On 12/7/2022 3:14 PM, AK wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 7, 2022 at 12:06:00 PM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:

>> Because you don't *have* a smartphone?
>>
>> I.e., you can likely find an app that converts the camera(s) in
>> a smart phone to a wifi based device. Then, providing power
>> to the phone would be the issue.

>>> USB is max 5meter so you'll need an active extender cable and then you'll
>>> like have problems with power unless the extender has it's own supply
>>>
>>> much simpler to just buy a camera with ethernet, most come with PoE so you
>>> only need the ethernet cable and can keep the supply at the computer ...
>> +42
>>
>> For individual cameras, PoE powered makes the most sense.
>> Note that you can also find PTZ cameras that will just
>> "drop onto" that sort of cable, later on, as your needs
>> change.
>>
>> (And, you can support dozens of them instead of being
>> limited by the number of USB ports on your machine)
>
> I have a smart phone.
>
> I want to be able to view and possibly record video on my desktop.

Then don't discount the value of having video sourced over
the network (wired PoE or wireless wifi). It will then
be available on every machine in your network, instead of just
the one machine to which a USB device would connect.

Re: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cable

<tmr3rb$ljbu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=111739&group=sci.electronics.design#111739

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 15:24:25 -0700
 by: Don Y - Wed, 7 Dec 2022 22:24 UTC

On 12/7/2022 3:20 PM, Don Y wrote:

>>> I.e., you can likely find an app that converts the camera(s) in
>>> a smart phone to a wifi based device. Then, providing power
>>> to the phone would be the issue.

E.g.,

<https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/use-your-android-as-streaming-wi-fi-camera-0161103/>

Re: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cable

<d767d31d-fa5e-470e-8d7b-16381c85f35dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=111743&group=sci.electronics.design#111743

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 15:33:59 -0800 (PST)
From: scientis...@gmail.com (AK)
 by: AK - Wed, 7 Dec 2022 23:33 UTC

On Wednesday, December 7, 2022 at 4:20:34 PM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:
> On 12/7/2022 3:14 PM, AK wrote:

> >> Because you don't *have* a smartphone?
> >>
> >> I.e., you can likely find an app that converts the camera(s) in
> >> a smart phone to a wifi based device. Then, providing power
> >> to the phone would be the issue.

> >> +42
> >>
> >> For individual cameras, PoE powered makes the most sense.
> >> Note that you can also find PTZ cameras that will just
> >> "drop onto" that sort of cable, later on, as your needs
> >> change.
> >>
> >> (And, you can support dozens of them instead of being
> >> limited by the number of USB ports on your machine)
> >
> > I have a smart phone.
> >
> > I want to be able to view and possibly record video on my desktop.
> Then don't discount the value of having video sourced over
> the network (wired PoE or wireless wifi). It will then
> be available on every machine in your network, instead of just
> the one machine to which a USB device would connect.
I did not think I was discounting anything.

I have only a single computer.

Andy

Re: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cable

<tmrqbu$qd9i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=111763&group=sci.electronics.design#111763

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 21:48:43 -0700
 by: Don Y - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 04:48 UTC

On 12/7/2022 4:33 PM, AK wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 7, 2022 at 4:20:34 PM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:

>>> I have a smart phone.
>>>
>>> I want to be able to view and possibly record video on my desktop.
>> Then don't discount the value of having video sourced over
>> the network (wired PoE or wireless wifi). It will then
>> be available on every machine in your network, instead of just
>> the one machine to which a USB device would connect.
> I did not think I was discounting anything.
>
> I have only a single computer.

Then you won't want to get involved with *any* of the networking stuff
(PoE/WiFi cameras) as that quickly leads to a rabbit hole of possibilities:
- how do I add a second?
- how do I view on my TV?
- how do I view on my phone?
- how do I view when I'm 2000 miles away?
- how do I cast my TV onto my phone?
- how do I cast my PC to my TV so I can watch YouTube videos?
- how do I keep my neighbors from seeing this stuff?
- how do I block "outsiders" from accessing it over the 'net?
etc.

Re: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cable

<tmruo2$qmh1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=111764&group=sci.electronics.design#111764

From: pNaonStp...@yahoo.com (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 06:02:55 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.com/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 06:02 UTC

On a sunny day (Wed, 7 Dec 2022 08:55:48 -0800 (PST)) it happened AK
<scientist77017@gmail.com> wrote in
<2ee2b7ac-183a-42da-be1c-b3e17f3a6875n@googlegroups.com>:

>Because there are some pretty sharp "cookies" here, I thought I would post a challenge.
>
>I am looking for a camera that does NOT require a smart phone in order to display it's videos/images.
>
>I have a Microsoft Webcam HD 500 and it has a usb connector.
>
>I am thinking I might be able to get a cable extension that is at least 23 feet so I can run it across my ceiling to my window.
>I would mount the camera inside.
>
>Not sure if there will be a signal loss too great for that distance.
>
>There may be signal boosters?
>
>I have a soldering station, and various electronic components such as resistors, caps, blank circuit boards, etc. if I would
>require to make the necessary components.
>
>Thanks,
> Andy

I have several Sony Super HAD cameras in use that have analog out,
20 m 75 ohm cable or just simple cinch audio cable will work.

To view the cams I use a cheap 4 input Chinese security recorder that also had HDMI out and an Ethernet port connected to the LAN
A Raspberry Pi connected to the LAN records everything to a harddisk.

But I also have a cheap analog to USB converter stick, mind you if you buy one of those go for the high resolution.

Also here several webcams with ethernet, those are as cheap as 25$ these days and can be remotely controlled,
have sound, and IR lights so can see in the dark,
Those come with software, will work on any Linux system too.
google 'Ethernet webcam'

Re: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cable

<2a19e54e-cd6d-495e-8af3-f2ba078d4dc9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=111765&group=sci.electronics.design#111765

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 23:20:10 -0800 (PST)
From: scientis...@gmail.com (AK)
 by: AK - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 07:20 UTC

On Thursday, December 8, 2022 at 12:03:55 AM UTC-6, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Wed, 7 Dec 2022 08:55:48 -0800 (PST)) it happened AK
> <scienti...@gmail.com> wrote in
> <2ee2b7ac-183a-42da...@googlegroups.com>:
> >Because there are some pretty sharp "cookies" here, I thought I would post a challenge.
> >
> >I am looking for a camera that does NOT require a smart phone in order to display it's videos/images.
> >
> >I have a Microsoft Webcam HD 500 and it has a usb connector.
> >
> >I am thinking I might be able to get a cable extension that is at least 23 feet so I can run it across my ceiling to my window.
> >I would mount the camera inside.
> >
> >Not sure if there will be a signal loss too great for that distance.
> >
> >There may be signal boosters?
> >
> >I have a soldering station, and various electronic components such as resistors, caps, blank circuit boards, etc. if I would
> >require to make the necessary components.
> >
> >Thanks,
> > Andy
> I have several Sony Super HAD cameras in use that have analog out,
> 20 m 75 ohm cable or just simple cinch audio cable will work.
>
> To view the cams I use a cheap 4 input Chinese security recorder that also had HDMI out and an Ethernet port connected to the LAN
> A Raspberry Pi connected to the LAN records everything to a harddisk.
>
> But I also have a cheap analog to USB converter stick, mind you if you buy one of those go for the high resolution.
>
> Also here several webcams with ethernet, those are as cheap as 25$ these days and can be remotely controlled,
> have sound, and IR lights so can see in the dark,
> Those come with software, will work on any Linux system too.
> google 'Ethernet webcam'
I would be interested in the links to those products.

Andy

Re: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cable

<tmseot$rnlc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=111770&group=sci.electronics.design#111770

From: pNaonStp...@yahoo.com (Jan Panteltje)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 10:36:19 GMT
NewsFleX homepage: http://www.panteltje.com/panteltje/newsflex/ and ftp download ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/system/news/readers/
 by: Jan Panteltje - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 10:36 UTC

On a sunny day (Wed, 7 Dec 2022 23:20:10 -0800 (PST)) it happened AK
<scientist77017@gmail.com> wrote in
<2a19e54e-cd6d-495e-8af3-f2ba078d4dc9n@googlegroups.com>:

>On Thursday, December 8, 2022 at 12:03:55 AM UTC-6, Jan Panteltje wrote:
>> On a sunny day (Wed, 7 Dec 2022 08:55:48 -0800 (PST)) it happened AK
>> <scienti...@gmail.com> wrote in
>> <2ee2b7ac-183a-42da...@googlegroups.com>:
>> >Because there are some pretty sharp "cookies" here, I thought I would post a challenge.
>> >
>> >I am looking for a camera that does NOT require a smart phone in order to display it's videos/images.
>> >
>> >I have a Microsoft Webcam HD 500 and it has a usb connector.
>> >
>> >I am thinking I might be able to get a cable extension that is at least 23 feet so I can run it across my ceiling to my
>> >window.
>> >I would mount the camera inside.
>> >
>> >Not sure if there will be a signal loss too great for that distance.
>> >
>> >There may be signal boosters?
>> >
>> >I have a soldering station, and various electronic components such as resistors, caps, blank circuit boards, etc. if I would
>> >
>> >require to make the necessary components.
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> > Andy
>> I have several Sony Super HAD cameras in use that have analog out,
>> 20 m 75 ohm cable or just simple cinch audio cable will work.
>>
>> To view the cams I use a cheap 4 input Chinese security recorder that also had HDMI out and an Ethernet port connected to the
>> LAN
>> A Raspberry Pi connected to the LAN records everything to a harddisk.
>>
>> But I also have a cheap analog to USB converter stick, mind you if you buy one of those go for the high resolution.
>>
>> Also here several webcams with ethernet, those are as cheap as 25$ these days and can be remotely controlled,
>> have sound, and IR lights so can see in the dark,
>> Those come with software, will work on any Linux system too.
>> google 'Ethernet webcam'
>I would be interested in the links to those products.
>
>Andy

Much of the stuff I have comes from ebay, some from Aliexpres
ebay has a search window:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=ethernet+webcam&_sacat=0&_sop=15
you can search for security recorder sony suoerHAD etc too

Re: Signal booster needed for a long run of usb cable

<tmtdi4$u28$1@gonzo.revmaps.no-ip.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=111790&group=sci.electronics.design#111790

From: use...@revmaps.no-ip.org (Jasen Betts)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 19:22:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jasen Betts - Thu, 8 Dec 2022 19:22 UTC

On 2022-12-07, AK <scientist77017@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am thinking I might be able to get a cable extension that is at least 23 feet so I can run it across my ceiling to my window. I would mount the camera inside.

cables with boosters are readily available off the shelf.

--
Jasen.