Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 12:10:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: World population density
From: simonrob...@gmail.com (Simon Roberts)
 by: Simon Roberts - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 19:10 UTC

I just calculated that if every person on the planet had an equal partial of land it would be less than 5 Acres. We all have less than 5 acres of land.. A calculation I could not find anywhere so I did it . Can you check my calculation. Seems Mighty small to me. frighteningly or critically small.

A family of four would obviously have less than 20 acres. What would happen if we consider unlivable non-agricultural nonviable land. Could we assume far less than 20 acres per average family size of four.
Could they be self-sufficient on less than 20 acres considering Shelter farmland agriculture livestock energy clean drinking water. If not can we conclude we are f***** as a species. I appeal to your urges stop having babies until further notice don't be horny save the planet.

Re: World population density

<78a68033-ffd7-4fdb-9187-1cf25b4b2c45n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=111713&group=sci.math#111713

Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 14:23:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: World population density
From: ross.pro...@gmx.com (Quantum Bubbles)
 by: Quantum Bubbles - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 21:23 UTC

On Tuesday, September 6, 2022 at 8:10:47 PM UTC+1, simonro...@gmail.com wrote:
> I just calculated that if every person on the planet had an equal partial of land it would be less than 5 Acres. We all have less than 5 acres of land. A calculation I could not find anywhere so I did it . Can you check my calculation. Seems Mighty small to me. frighteningly or critically small.
>
> A family of four would obviously have less than 20 acres. What would happen if we consider unlivable non-agricultural nonviable land. Could we assume far less than 20 acres per average family size of four.
> Could they be self-sufficient on less than 20 acres considering Shelter farmland agriculture livestock energy clean drinking water. If not can we conclude we are f***** as a species. I appeal to your urges stop having babies until further notice don't be horny save the planet.

We can build up as well as across with regards to living space (in principle advanced farms as well), which leaves more open land for shared/common ownership.

Regards

QB

Remain Calm and Keep Loving those Lovely Urges.

Re: World population density

<tf8ha7$162i$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=111724&group=sci.math#111724

From: inva...@invalid.com (Sergio)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 17:24:06 -0500
 by: Sergio - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 22:24 UTC

On 9/6/2022 4:23 PM, Quantum Bubbles wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 6, 2022 at 8:10:47 PM UTC+1, simonro...@gmail.com wrote:
>> I just calculated that if every person on the planet had an equal partial of land it would be less than 5 Acres. We all have less than 5 acres of land. A calculation I could not find anywhere so I did it . Can you check my calculation. Seems Mighty small to me. frighteningly or critically small.
>>
>> A family of four would obviously have less than 20 acres. What would happen if we consider unlivable non-agricultural nonviable land. Could we assume far less than 20 acres per average family size of four.
>> Could they be self-sufficient on less than 20 acres considering Shelter farmland agriculture livestock energy clean drinking water. If not can we conclude we are f***** as a species. I appeal to your urges stop having babies until further notice don't be horny save the planet.
>
> We can build up as well as across with regards to living space (in principle advanced farms as well), which leaves more open land for shared/common ownership.

no need, building up is too expensive, just move to Australia outback or USA southwest millions of square miles of flatish ground, rocks and gravel for
New People to take ownership. (also North Africa has millions of lots, nice soft sand too!)

> Regards
>
> QB
>
> Remain Calm and Keep Loving those Lovely Urges.

Re: World population density

<a46efdc8-a7ba-b6e9-5974-6139dc4c7b78@att.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=111740&group=sci.math#111740

From: james.g....@att.net (Jim Burns)
Newsgroups: sci.math
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 21:23:42 -0400
 by: Jim Burns - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 01:23 UTC

https://www.ted.com/talks/hans_rosling_global_population_growth_box_by_box?language=en

| Global population growth, box by box
| | The world's population will grow to 9 billion
| over the next 50 years -- and only by raising
| the living standards of the poorest can we check
| population growth.

One of the most powerful tools we have for
reducing population growth is _reducing_ child
mortality. Hornyness or government intervention
seem to have relatively little effect on
family-planning decisions -- which I totally
understand, given how consequential those
decisions are.

Fortunately, we have powerful tools for reducing
child mortality, and no good reason to hold back
in using them. An amazing instance in which
we can do well by doing good.

> We can build up as well as across with regards
> to living space (in principle advanced farms
> as well), which leaves more open land for
> shared/common ownership.

Humans became majority-urban in 2009.
We have, of course, been trending that way
for 1000's of years. This is actually very
good for the rest of the planet. We have a
much lighter ecological footprint _per person_
gathered together like that.

Imagining humans distributed evenly across
the planet, each family to their plot of
whatever size, is probably the most destructive
version of our future we could dream up.

I am a great fan of "advanced farms", though
I know very little about them, as yet.
It seems to me that we should develop
agriculture _inside_ our megalopolises,
inside sky scrapers, or whatever.

The link to farmland outside the city strikes me
as just too vulnerable. It feels like someone
on life support with their machines' power
cords plugged in on the other side of a
busy corridor. Even with the best of intentions,
things will happen. And, sometimes, intentions
will not be the best.