Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 10:27:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: from river to stappe: 5.3 ka, not 2 Ma!
From: littoral...@gmail.com (littor...@gmail.com)
 by: littor...@gmail.com - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 17:27 UTC

"Dairying enabled Early Bronze Age Yamnaya steppe expansions"
Shevan Wilkin cs 2021 Nature
"... pre-Yamnaya groups likely consumed lots of freshwater fish ..."
"... our findings offer strong support to the notion of a secondary products revolution in the Eurasian steppe by the Early Bronze Age. This change in subsistence economy, indicated by dietary stable isotopes in human bones and by proteomics, was accompanied by the widespread abandonment of Eneolithic riverine settlement sites ..."

IOW, from fish to milk.
Only complete idiots believe our Pleistocene ancestors ran antelopes to exhaustion.

Nanderthals...Re: from river to stappe: 5.3 ka, not 2 Ma!

<si3r3p$8cn$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=11201&group=sci.anthropology.paleo#11201

From: inval...@invalid.invalid (Primum Sapienti)
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
Subject: Nanderthals...Re: from river to stappe: 5.3 ka, not 2 Ma!
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 22:49:00 -0600
 by: Primum Sapienti - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 04:49 UTC

littor...@gmail.com wrote:
> "Dairying enabled Early Bronze Age Yamnaya steppe expansions"
> Shevan Wilkin cs 2021 Nature
> "... pre-Yamnaya groups likely consumed lots of freshwater fish ..."
> "... our findings offer strong support to the notion of a secondary products revolution in the Eurasian steppe by the Early Bronze Age. This change in subsistence economy, indicated by dietary stable isotopes in human bones and by proteomics, was accompanied by the widespread abandonment of Eneolithic riverine settlement sites ..."
>
> IOW, from fish to milk.
> Only complete idiots believe our Pleistocene ancestors ran antelopes to exhaustion.

The REAL reference

Dairy products not necessary:

https://siberiantimes.com/science/casestudy/features/neanderthals-made-two-epic-invasions-of-siberia-says-new-study/

Cold-defying conquests traced to 120,000 years ago when they crossbred
with Denisovans, and 60,000 years ago when they collected sparkling crystals.

Intriguing new findings about the adventurous bison-hunting Neanderthals
and their love of the Siberian cold are revealed today.

Their ability to survive and adapt to the cold and dry steppe begs the
question: why did they become extinct around 40,000 years ago?

The traces of the Neanderthals in Siberia are seen clearly in three Altai
Mountain locations.

Their first foray around 120,000 years ago saw them living in famous
Denisova Cave when they co-habited with the Denisovan population, another
early human branch that was to become extinct.

A separate and later influx is noted at Chagyrskaya Cave after a journey
of perhaps 4,000 kilometres from Eastern Europe, an odyssey which saw them
traverse the North Caucasus, the Caspian Sea, then shrunken by up to 1,000
kilometres, and the Altai Mountains.

‘The settlers of the second wave also left their traces in Okladnikova
Cave,’ said Professor Ksenia Kolobova, head of excavations at Chagyrskaya
Cave

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020/01/21/1918047117
Archaeological evidence for two separate dispersals of Neanderthals into
southern Siberia

Significance
Neanderthals once inhabited Europe and western Asia, spreading as far east
as the Altai Mountains in southern Siberia, but the geographical origin
and time of arrival of the Altai populations remain unresolved.
Excavations at Chagyrskaya Cave in the Altai foothills have yielded 90,000
stone artifacts, numerous bone tools, 74 Neanderthal fossils, and animal
and plant remains recovered from 59,000- to 49,000-year-old deposits. The
Chagyrskaya Neanderthals made distinctive stone tools that closely
resemble Micoquian artifacts from eastern Europe, whereas other Altai
sites occupied by earlier Neanderthal populations lack such artifacts.
This suggests at least two dispersals of Neanderthals into southern
Siberia, with the likely ancestral homeland of the Chagyrskaya toolmakers
located 3,000 to 4,000 kilometers to the west, in eastern Europe.

Abstract
Neanderthals were once widespread across Europe and western Asia. They
also penetrated into the Altai Mountains of southern Siberia, but the
geographical origin of these populations and the timing of their dispersal
have remained elusive. Here we describe an archaeological assemblage from
Chagyrskaya Cave, situated in the Altai foothills, where around 90,000
Middle Paleolithic artifacts and 74 Neanderthal remains have been
recovered from deposits dating to between 59 and 49 thousand years ago
(age range at 95.4% probability). Environmental reconstructions suggest
that the Chagyrskaya hominins were adapted to the dry steppe and hunted
bison. Their distinctive toolkit closely resembles Micoquian assemblages
from central and eastern Europe, including the northern Caucasus, more
than 3,000 kilometers to the west of Chagyrskaya Cave. At other Altai
sites, evidence of earlier Neanderthal populations lacking associated
Micoquian-like artifacts implies two or more Neanderthal incursions into
this region. We identify eastern Europe as the most probable ancestral
source region for the Chagyrskaya toolmakers, supported by DNA results
linking the Neanderthal remains with populations in northern Croatia and
the northern Caucasus, and providing a rare example of a long-distance,
intercontinental population movement associated with a distinctive
Paleolithic toolkit.