The solution to a problem changes the nature of the problem. -- Peer

tech / sci.electronics.design / Watch out for the latest Windows update if you use an older machine

SubjectAuthor
* Watch out for the latest Windows update if you use an older machinebitrex
+* Re: Watch out for the latest Windows update if you use an olderDon Y
|`- Re: Watch out for the latest Windows update if you use an older machinea a
`- Re: Watch out for the latest Windows update if you use an older machineDecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

1
Watch out for the latest Windows update if you use an older machine

<ZijpL.91678$9sn9.46419@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=112814&group=sci.electronics.design#112814

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
From: use...@example.net (bitrex)
Subject: Watch out for the latest Windows update if you use an older machine
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 09:54:49 -0500
 by: bitrex - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 14:54 UTC

<https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/zl2mcr/cumulative_updates_december_13th_2022/>

<https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-10-22H2#2986msgdesc>

Seems to really hate some Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge machines, I use a
Fujitsu Lifebook which has some nice features like a VGA output (for
connecting to older projectors) and easily-replaceable battery and the
update took it down real good

Re: Watch out for the latest Windows update if you use an older machine

<to5255$1qnbt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=112831&group=sci.electronics.design#112831

From: blockedo...@foo.invalid (Don Y)
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Watch out for the latest Windows update if you use an older
machine
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 13:13:24 -0700
 by: Don Y - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 20:13 UTC

On 12/23/2022 7:54 AM, bitrex wrote:
> <https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/zl2mcr/cumulative_updates_december_13th_2022/>
>
> <https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-10-22H2#2986msgdesc>
>
> Seems to really hate some Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge machines, I use a Fujitsu
> Lifebook which has some nice features like a VGA output (for connecting to
> older projectors) and easily-replaceable battery and the update took it down
> real good

My strategy with MS is to image the machine (the OS drive) before
every update. Then, I can get back to the prior state without
relying on MS knowing how to undo it's f*ckups.

But, I manually apply updates so I know when the risky exists.

Also, most machines are airgapped so there's very little reason for me
to apply an update; they alomst always fix security vulnerabilities
while "bugs" seem to be overlooked, forever.

Re: Watch out for the latest Windows update if you use an older machine

<617f3024-738d-4753-9642-602831359766n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=112833&group=sci.electronics.design#112833

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 15:58:44 -0800 (PST)
From: manta1...@gmail.com (a a)
 by: a a - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 23:58 UTC

On Friday, 23 December 2022 at 21:13:32 UTC+1, Don Y wrote:
> On 12/23/2022 7:54 AM, bitrex wrote:
> > <https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/zl2mcr/cumulative_updates_december_13th_2022/>
> >
> > <https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-10-22H2#2986msgdesc>
> >
> > Seems to really hate some Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge machines, I use a Fujitsu
> > Lifebook which has some nice features like a VGA output (for connecting to
> > older projectors) and easily-replaceable battery and the update took it down
> > real good
> My strategy with MS is to image the machine (the OS drive) before
> every update. Then, I can get back to the prior state without
> relying on MS knowing how to undo it's f*ckups.
>
> But, I manually apply updates so I know when the risky exists.
>
> Also, most machines are airgapped so there's very little reason for me
> to apply an update; they alomst always fix security vulnerabilities
> while "bugs" seem to be overlooked, forever.
never update Windows on old machine

Always buy n ew Windows with new machine every 3 years or when update released

Re: Watch out for the latest Windows update if you use an older machine

<to6vjd$1b0n$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/tech/article-flat.php?id=112842&group=sci.electronics.design#112842

From: Decadent...@decadence.org
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 13:42:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Decadent...@decadence.org - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 13:42 UTC

bitrex <user@example.net> wrote in

> <https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/zl2mcr/cumulative_upda
> tes_december_13th_2022/>
>
> <https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-wi
> ndows-10-22H2#2986msgdesc>
>
> Seems to really hate some Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge machines, I use
> a Fujitsu Lifebook which has some nice features like a VGA output
> (for connecting to older projectors) and easily-replaceable
> battery and the update took it down real good

That is possibly the difference. I keep mine continually updated, so
"cummulative updates" are not as large for my machine. I also DL and
install large updates to the OS.

Mine is: Windows 10 Pro for Workstations Version 22H2
OS Build: 19045.2364

Under a: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1505M v6 @ 3.00GHz

Which they (MicroSoft) fucked me on a Windows 11 upgrade.

Of all the CPUs being supported, one would think that workstation
Xeons would be included.

It is like Windows NT was... pure customer abandonment.